Fonte and Cork Next?

Trout-Tickler

Although Lallana and Lovren did some arm twisting, a lot of what has gone on so far this summer seems (at least to me) to come down to cold hard business. Shaw left for ~£30M making him the most expensive teenager in world, Chambers is off for ~£16M which is a good amount for someone who's only made 23 1st team appearances last season, we paid £9M for Lovren and have got more than double back (~£20M). The fee for Lallana (~£20M) was reasonable as I don't think he'll do anything at Liverpool to make himself worth more.

Looking at Fonte and Cork both have entered the final year of their contracts. It's unclear whether either have been offered new contracts but if they don't sign one during this window their value will decrease considerably. You wouldn't have thought anyone would offer a good money for them in January. Therefore, if they don't sign new contracts before the last week of the transfer window it surely makes business sense to off-load them then in order to maximise the amount they'd go for?

I don't want them to go and it's ridiculous that it's got to this stage without them being offered contracts but in terms of cold hard business off-loading them this window makes the most financial sense if they don't sign new ones. Are the board only interested in getting money out?

I think it's worthy of a new thread. The fact that these two, who for the most part have kept a dignified silence, haven't been offered new contracts is pretty incompetent. Then again, nothing these ******s do surprises me at the moment.

....haven't been offered new contracts is pretty incompetent.

But, for what it's worth the do actually have contracts in place, so technically, there is no requirement, yet, to give them new ones.

All respect to JF and JC, but the Big4 haven't come a-calling for them and if they were to push for a move as per our other ex's, where would they go? Only to a lesser team than SFC which I doubt would be a driver for them career-wise, so it would only be for money.

But, for what it's worth the do actually have contracts in place, so technically, there is no requirement, yet, to give them new ones.

All respect to JF and JC, but the Big4 haven't come a-calling for them and if they were to push for a move as per our other ex's, where would they go? Only to a lesser team than SFC which I doubt would be a driver for them career-wise, so it would only be for money.

Technically there is no requirement but it is pretty incompetent not to offer them one when we have players leaving left right and centre.

Technically there is no requirement but it is pretty incompetent not to offer them one when we have players leaving left right and centre.

Or it might be seen as incompetent to offer players extended contracts when Koeman might not want them long term and we may be looking to purchase better. It would be incompetent to have players on your books who are no chance of getting games

Or it might be seen as incompetent to offer players extended contracts when Koeman might not want them long term and we may be looking to purchase better. It would be incompetent to have players on your books who are no chance of getting games

It shouldn't be up to him to decide. What if he walks out in 12 months? Not conducive to long-term planning giving managers power to shape the club the way they want. The reason the managerial changes under Cortese were so smooth was because the structure remained the same. Koeman's job should be on the training pitch, nowhere else.

Do we actually know they've not been offered contracts which they are stalling/negotiating? Maybe they are like the rest of us waiting to see what happens this summer before committing themselves? or in the case or Cork waiting to see if he gets any game time if he wants to progress his career he needs to be playing and he knows that.

Do we actually know they've not been offered contracts which they are stalling/negotiating? Maybe they are like the rest of us waiting to see what happens this summer before committing themselves? or in the case or Cork waiting to see if he gets any game time if he wants to progress his career he needs to be playing and he knows that.

Well the way things are going if he sticks around he will certainly get game time! So that's one problem solved then

My gut feeling is sold. Makes no sense to have not given him a contract extension unless they don't see the need.

If Koeman signs Fer or Clasie, and God forbid keep Schneiderlin then Cork could well be considered surplus.

Especially when the plan is to give lots and lots of playing time to JWP and Reed this year.

Yeah probably think they can maximise Reed and JWP sale price next summer by playing them every week.

Unless JWP doesn't improve on a relatively poor last season and Reed ...... Well who the **** knows as he has played only a few minutes of professional football. It will also be a lot harder for younger players to settle into a team where there has been such a huge change in personnel.

Fair chance they won't want to stay given the way things are going at the moment. If I were in their shoes I'd want to keep open my options, which is probably what Fonte has been doing with the reported Cardiff interest.

It's interesting that Harrison Reed was given a new contract before Cork...

Perhaps Reed/his agent were not asking for a huge weekly wage like Cork might be doing?

The players/agents know there was £32m more income from TV money last year and they will probably want a sizeable slice of that. Before committing to a huge new deal for Cork, perhaps Koeman wants to have a good look at him.

• 2 weeks later...

If we're as close to the FFP limit as some are suggesting, we're probably waiting to see who is in the squad and how much headroom in wages we have before we work out how much we can offer Cork and Fonte in contract renewals.

Rodriguez's status is going to be a big factor, I can't imagine we'll be able to offer him a new deal he'll accept.

I've got a feeling we (the club/Koeman/Reed) just don't see Fonte anad Cork in our long term plans, as unfortunate as that is. I can understand (although not really agree), from a purely footballing point of view, but in terms of team spirit, continuity etc, I think its a bad call from the club.

I've got a feeling we (the club/Koeman/Reed) just don't see Fonte anad Cork in our long term plans, as unfortunate as that is. I can understand (although not really agree), from a purely footballing point of view, but in terms of team spirit, continuity etc, I think its a bad call from the club.

I think it's marginal, and whether they sign will depend on the amount we offer. I think what we've seen is the first period in which salary capping is affecting transfer decisions, and by next year clubs will be a bit more used to it and will have longer term plans.

Starting to wonder how long it'll be until someone with a massive pile of cash signs up for a year's unlimited funding of a club, a ton of megabucks 1 year deals and stumping up the cash to pay the FFP fine, just to splash on a one season trophy hunt. Hopefully it'll make a mockery of the FFP rules, which are proving to be completely ridiculous in terms of players ONLY having the option to sign for the big clubs if they want to improve their wages.

I think it's marginal, and whether they sign will depend on the amount we offer. I think what we've seen is the first period in which salary capping is affecting transfer decisions, and by next year clubs will be a bit more used to it and will have longer term plans.

Starting to wonder how long it'll be until someone with a massive pile of cash signs up for a year's unlimited funding of a club, a ton of megabucks 1 year deals and stumping up the cash to pay the FFP fine, just to splash on a one season trophy hunt. Hopefully it'll make a mockery of the FFP rules, which are proving to be completely ridiculous in terms of players ONLY having the option to sign for the big clubs if they want to improve their wages.

But unless Fonte and Cork are asking for exceptionally unrealistic amounts, we should be able to accommodate their requests regardless of FFP, if we were all that bothered about keeping them.