Where will the goals come from?

Saint Charlie

We scored 54 league goals last year, joint 8th highest in the league with Swansea.

Aside from WBA (43) all the teams in places 13th or lower scored less than 40 goals.

Stoke in 9th got 45 and Newcastle in 10th got 43.

If you say that to have a decent enough season around 45 goals will be needed (we arent setup to play defensively like a WH or Palace so will likely need to score a few more) then where do we see these coming from?

Who will need to step up versus previous seasons and what do we need Pelle, Tadic, Ramirez etc to get to avoid trouble?

May be nonsense and only based on youtube clips and dodgy streams so far this preseason but I think we may end up shooting a bit more this season and certainly from distance. May not be where the goals come from but you never know it may add a couple.

I'm concerned to be honest. I've tried to remain positive throughout the summer and I'm hoping the 'promises' remain true with money being reinvested. As time goes on though I'm starting to think it wont be, Guan said give it 2 weeks, that dates past and nothing, RK said 2 or 3 over weekend, thats past, its beginning to concern me. Pelle may score a few, he may not, but we can't seriously be thinking about starting the season with just Pelle and Gallagher as back up surely?? I know we have Sharp and Mayuka but they aren't prem standard imo.

It's a very good question. With Lallana, Lambert and Jrod all missing it is a completely different attack, so who knows if it has the ability, strength and luck to get all those goals. Will we even play the same formation. Lots of talk of wingers coming in. Who will supply the goals. Losing Shaw's penetrative runs and Lallana and Lambert's assists is going to reduce the supply line too. I'm concerned, but there is nothing you can do other than see how it all pans out.

JWP and Scheiderlin should not be mentioned when discussing goals. Fonte and Yoshida are capable of scoring more combined than those 2. Pelle is going to need to be firing, but the jury's still out. We really need someone capable of scoring from distance

My gut feeling is that we will score a few more from set pieces this season, but that's completely unfounded upon any kind of evidence. My hope is that Pelle and Tadic adapt quickly while Ramirez steps up and bangs in a decent amount.

Ramirez has only scored half the amount of Premier League goals for us than Lallana got, and he's done that with a lot less time on the pitch! Hopefully he will step up into the Lallana void. Looked very good vs Bournemouth.

Seems to me, based on pre-season, that the midfielders have been told to shoot from distance instead of trying to pass their way into the goal - and we've scored quite a few that way. Problem is that we havent yet got proper service to Pelle and he looks frustrated. If we can work out a way to do both we'll do well.

Edited by buctootim

Ramirez has only scored half the amount of Premier League goals for us than Lallana got, and he's done that with a lot less time on the pitch! Hopefully he will step up into the Lallana void. Looked very good vs Bournemouth.

Bar being sold, he has every opportunity to shine this season! I think a common held opinion is that it's not that Ramirez is a bad player per se, but that his progression was slowed owing to Lallana's performance last season (and Poch's preference for Adam). I don't see why that would be wrong because, as you say, he's been quite good pre season. Fingers crossed.

Bar being sold, he has every opportunity to shine this season! I think a common held opinion is that it's not that Ramirez is a bad player per se, but that his progression was slowed owing to Lallana's performance last season (and Poch's preference for Adam). I don't see why that would be wrong because, as you say, he's been quite good pre season. Fingers crossed.

Definitely think you're right RE Lallana - will be interesting to see how Koeman uses him, as I think if he is used correctly then he will be our best player.

Definitely think you're right RE Lallana - will be interesting to see how Koeman uses him, as I think if he is used correctly then he will be our best player.

I agree with this. I think Ramirez has a real chance to shine this season if one of the midfield three plays a little forward and with less defensive responsibility. And it might be one of those seasons where we huff and puff through many games and need to rely on individual quality to make something happen for us rather than dominate teams and score goals via sheer pressure and possession.

I don't know where the goals will come from, is my worrying response. Midfield maybe? Tadic looks like someone who can score in open play or from set pieces. I guess we could score a few more from corners and wide free-kicks, Koeman has certainly been working on them but you can't tell how well they'll work against Prem sides.

Pelle is the obvious choice but all the highlights/live streams of pre-season I've seen so far seem to show he's not really one for shooting, or attacking the 6 yard box. He has some KEN~!!!wyne tendencies, likes to get it down and lay it wide, looks decent in the air, not the greatest touch (but then who does, compared to Lambert?), might take time to adapt to Prem-level defending, but then that's pretty poor across the board now, so maybe the answer is "terrible opposition defending"?

We don't know.

Hopefully:

Pelle. 15

Tadic. 6

Rodriguez. 2

Ramirez. 5

JWP. 1

Schneiderlin. 0

NEW SIGNINGS. 8

Gallagher. 2

Fonte. 1

Others. 2

Sounds about right to me

You also missed out Davis who could get three or four.

The key is obviously Pelle, and really, first season in the PL 10 or so goals would be a good return, but unless we substantially improve our striker pool, we will need him to get more.

You also missed out Davis who could get three or four.

The key is obviously Pelle, and really, first season in the PL 10 or so goals would be a good return, but unless we substantially improve our striker pool, we will need him to get more.

Ah FFs he was the first one I had pencilled in so that I wouldn't forget. Steve Davis will score 3 in season 2014 / 15

We don't know.

Hopefully:

Pelle. 15

Tadic. 6

Rodriguez. 2

Ramirez. 5

JWP. 1

Schneiderlin. 0

NEW SIGNINGS. 8

Gallagher. 2

Fonte. 1

Others. 2

Sounds about right to me

not convinced 42 will be enough, we may need to score 2 to win games, not sure we will have as many cleansheets especially based on current squad

The team just needs to gel. Pelle needs to learn how to find a bit of space rather than allow defenders to stay so close. The others need to get used to his layoffs. He will score a few but more importantly so will Taider and Tadic - and gaston looks reborn. Surprised to see Mayuka yesterday. Even allowing for Gallagher's illness, I would prefer to see McQueen or even Sharp.

We do need a zippy little player up front to poach a few. It seemed the ball was bouncy quite kindly for us in the box yesterday but no one like that to finish it off.

JWP and Scheiderlin should not be mentioned when discussing goals.

Fonte and Yoshida are capable of scoring more combined than those 2.

Pelle is going to need to be firing, but the jury's still out. We really need someone capable of scoring from distance

.......and looking at midfielders in the present squad....neither Cork, Wanyama or Schneiderlin have found the net very often either....though Steven Davis just about acquitted himself.

RK holds the international record for most goals by a defender (though he also played midfield) ..he'll be looking for midfielders who can put the ball in the net, and not just have good possession stats.

The team just needs to gel. Pelle needs to learn how to find a bit of space rather than allow defenders to stay so close. The others need to get used to his layoffs. He will score a few but more importantly so will Taider and Tadic - and gaston looks reborn. Surprised to see Mayuka yesterday. Even allowing for Gallagher's illness, I would prefer to see McQueen or even Sharp.

We do need a zippy little player up front to poach a few. It seemed the ball was bouncy quite kindly for us in the box yesterday but no one like that to finish it off.

Surely at 29he should learnt the art of finding space by now. I haven't seen hi play and so can't comment on how good he may be for us, but I hold out hope he will come good

Surely at 29he should learnt the art of finding space by now. I haven't seen hi play and so can't comment on how good he may be for us, but I hold out hope he will come good

Leverkusen had done their homework and put 2, sometimes 3, good big full backs on him. It was hard to shrug them all off to be fair to Pelle. But, if we play that way we need midfield goalscorers.

Now that the majority of signings have been made, I am actually feeling a little more bullish about the season. Long will do good for us, the others well we can only hope they do

My updated where the goals will come from

Pelle. 16

Tadic. 6

Rodriguez. 1 (i'm not even sure we'll get to see him until about March 2015)

Ramirez. 5

JWP. 2

Schneiderlin. 0

Clyne 1

Long 10

Gallagher. 2

Fonte. 1

Taider 2

Davis 4

Others. 1

We will concede 53 and finish 11th

• 2 weeks later...
First we have to stop them going in, and we've done that. It's only two games, what's the rush?

The rush?

Have you seen our fixture list in about 8 games time?

Look what happened when we had a poor start two years ago. With some better players