5 Years Ago Today

Gemmel

It was a great signing - not sure it was one of the greatest in our history though. Maybe top 5 - does that count as "one of" ?

We must have signed what 100's/1000's of players (I genuinely have no idea what the figure would be) - Top 5 in that would surely count as "one of". Guess it's subjective, but in that context I'd say so.

I'd say Rickie is up there, certainly in my time supporting Saints.

An absolute legend and hero to saints fans. One of our best ever signings. Sadly though I think his dream move is turning into a nightmare. A few Liverpool fans at work were saying this morning how sh*t he is and a pointless signing, they seem to be on his back already.

We must have signed what 100's/1000's of players (I genuinely have no idea what the figure would be) - Top 5 in that would surely count as "one of". Guess it's subjective, but in that context I'd say so.

I'd say Rickie is up there, certainly in my time supporting Saints.

Well as you say, there have been so many signings in "our history" that I am still dubious he would be even in the top 5. If we are talking very recent history then sure. It would be interesting to see who would come above Lambert since, let's say, 1976 (can't imagine why I chose that date). Some names off the top of my head that could possibly be argued as better signings for various reasons:

Keegan

Shilton

Pahars

Case

McDougall

Boyer

Any others?

Well as you say, there have been so many signings in "our history" that I am still dubious he would be even in the top 5. If we are talking very recent history then sure. It would be interesting to see who would come above Lambert since, let's say, 1976 (can't imagine why I chose that date). Some names off the top of my head that could possibly be argued as better signings for various reasons:

Keegan

Shilton

Pahars

Case

McDougall

Boyer

Any others?

Alan Ball.

Neither Le Tiss nor Mick Channon are "signings," though without doubt the club's all time two greatest heroes. That bloke who can't grow a proper beard, whose name escapes me, could have been the third member of a trinity untouchable in South coast lore, but appeared not to understand that. More fool him.

As for signings proper, Lambert is up there, but nothing NOTH-ING can compare with that day in 1980 when I came home from school and saw John Craven's Newsround announcing that Hamburg SV star Kevin Keegan had "signed for first division... Southampton." It was the coup of the (20th) century, never equalled before or since.

There was a similar frisson in 94 when Spurs got Klinsmann, but in hindsight that looks so Meh... Keegan to Saints was an earthquake. And what a team LM built around him! Happy days.

Who knows... mebbes Van Persie before the transfer window closes?

If 5 years ago was today we wouldn't be interested in signing him, if you know what i mean. Makes you think don't it - there must be loads of 27yo journeymen strikers in League One who could play for England, and we're missing out on these bros!

Been following Saints since early 80s and in terms of the impact he's made on the club Lambert is probably the best signing in my time.

Keegan was a big signing but Ricky has had a bigger impact.

We got his best days and he'll always get a clap from me.

Neither Le Tiss nor Mick Channon are "signings," though without doubt the club's all time two greatest heroes. That bloke who can't grow a proper beard, whose name escapes me, could have been the third member of a trinity untouchable in South coast lore, but appeared not to understand that. More fool him.

As for signings proper, Lambert is up there, but nothing NOTH-ING can compare with that day in 1980 when I came home from school and saw John Craven's Newsround announcing that Hamburg SV star Kevin Keegan had "signed for first division... Southampton." It was the coup of the (20th) century, never equalled before or since.

There was a similar frisson in 94 when Spurs got Klinsmann, but in hindsight that looks so Meh... Keegan to Saints was an earthquake. And what a team LM built around him! Happy days.

Who knows... mebbes Van Persie before the transfer window closes?

You’re right of course about Keegan being our most sensational signing but I was just as gob-smacked by Peter Osgood signing for us in 1974 (yes, I know it’s prior to kpturner’s arbitrary 1976 cut-off date!)

Granted Ossie wasn’t a world star like Keegan but he was an immense player nevertheless, and his transfer from Chelsea came so out of the blue. Back then Saints had no previous history of landing such a star player, whereas by the time Keegan arrived we had established quite a reputation for signing marquee players – McDougal, Boyer, Ball, George etc.

To this day I clearly remember a lad telling me at school break-time that we’d signed Osgood – I simply couldn’t believe him until I got home to see it for myself on the news. Amazing.

As for Rickie Lambert, from the point of view of what he has actually helped us to achieve these past 5 years, I’m struggling to think of a more effective signing – Ron Davies probably, Ball and Case possibly.

You’re right of course about Keegan being our most sensational signing but I was just as gob-smacked by Peter Osgood signing for us in 1974 (yes, I know it’s prior to kpturner’s arbitrary 1976 cut-off date!)

Granted Ossie wasn’t a world star like Keegan but he was an immense player nevertheless, and his transfer from Chelsea came so out of the blue. Back then Saints had no previous history of landing such a star player, whereas by the time Keegan arrived we had established quite a reputation for signing marquee players – McDougal, Boyer, Ball, George etc.

To this day I clearly remember a lad telling me at school break-time that we’d signed Osgood – I simply couldn’t believe him until I got home to see it for myself on the news. Amazing.

As for Rickie Lambert, from the point of view of what he has actually helped us to achieve these past 5 years, I’m struggling to think of a more effective signing – Ron Davies probably, Ball and Case possibly.

Osgood was a pretty jaw dropping moment for me as well. I named our new kitten "Ossie" even though it was a female :)

Was slightly underwhelmed when we signed lambert, couldn't have been more wrong he turned out to be a legend and will always be a saint to me. Only other signing in my memory that comes close for value and impact was Pahars when he came in and kept us up.

It does make you think just how many other players down the league could make the step up given the right opportunity Rickie can't be the only one!

It does make you think just how many other players down the league could make the step up given the right opportunity Rickie can't be the only one!

I guess quite a few talented players get let go from top clubs because their priorities in their teens and early 20s is suspect - more intent on going out and having a good time eating, drinking and doing what they want. The hard part is finding the ones who grow out of that and giving them a second chance.

Great signing but Kevin Keegan for £420,000 takes some beating as the best signing.

What would that be in today's money though?

pound for pound I don't think any signing has been as good value as Lambert when compared to what he achieved for our club.