General Election 2015

trousers

No doubt you'll have the same opinion when your grandma can't have her hip op or any sort of quality care in her old age, or your child in a class of 40 taught by a disillusioned non-qualified teacher, or your precious car hits a pothole that there are no plans to repair. Oh and probably expect to be able to rely on a doctor should you need one and would hope we had and education system that supported them.

And probably would hope that police might be able to respond to yobbos vandalising your fence.

But hey you want to pay less tax I get it.

Ok , you've convinced me....giving more money to politicians to redistribute is definitely the most efficient use of my contributions to society...silly me for mistrusting politicians to use my money wisely....

Ok , you've convinced me....giving more money to politicians to redistribute is definitely the most efficient use of my contributions to society...silly me for mistrusting politicians to use my money wisely....

What contributions? You've commuted for 20 odd years - you owe us all a fortune in subsidies. That distribution of our cash to you is what you're railing against.

Edited by buctootim

Following you reasoning then I assume you are against paying tax per se and there is no need for any public services?

• 4 weeks later...
I'm struggling to work out if the Green Party are bonkers or genius....

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/01/welcome-to-the-bonkers-world-of-the-green-party-manifesto/

Some of my favorites:

“We will work to create a world of global inter-responsibility in which the concept of a ‘British national’ is irrelevant and outdated.”

A standing army, navy and airforce is “unnecessary”. Bases will be turned into nature reserves and the arms industry “converted” to producing windturbines.

Merely being a member of al-Qaeda, the IRA and other currently proscribed terrorist groups will no longer be a criminal offence under Green plans, and instead a Green Government should seek to “address desperate motivations that lie behind many atrocities labelled ‘terrorist’,”

In order to prevent “overpopulation” burdening the earth, the state will provide free condoms and fund research for new contraceptives.

The sale of alcohol on planes and airports will be tightly restricted to prevent air-rage

Some of my favorites:

“We will work to create a world of global inter-responsibility in which the concept of a ‘British national’ is irrelevant and outdated.”

A standing army, navy and airforce is “unnecessary”. Bases will be turned into nature reserves and the arms industry “converted” to producing windturbines.

Merely being a member of al-Qaeda, the IRA and other currently proscribed terrorist groups will no longer be a criminal offence under Green plans, and instead a Green Government should seek to “address desperate motivations that lie behind many atrocities labelled ‘terrorist’,”

In order to prevent “overpopulation” burdening the earth, the state will provide free condoms and fund research for new contraceptives.

The sale of alcohol on planes and airports will be tightly restricted to prevent air-rage

You've missed out that English sports teams will only be able to play other nations the government approves of. That's England banned from Fifa , because their rules prohibit any government interference.

It was the labour mayor of Doncaster that gave them the story, how's that a " hatchet job" . The guardian would run the story if it was given to them by a Tory mayor about Cameron

Wow what a story! Suggests they are better economists than all the investment bankers at Goldman Sachs etc who were caught out.

Frankly embarrassing.

Not a hatchet job? No of course not.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11361505/Ban-the-jobless-from-driving-to-ease-congestion-Ukip-candidate-says.html

The leaflet reads: “"We could likely remove six million cars from the roads if benefits claimants were not driving. Why do they have the privilege to spend the tax payers' hard earned money on a car, when those in work are struggling to keep their own car on the road? These people really could catch a bus."

"Cycles should go back to the pavements yet give priority to pedestrians."

It ends with the words: "Yet again we're proposing common sense policies and common sense solutions."

I really trust these guys

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11361505/Ban-the-jobless-from-driving-to-ease-congestion-Ukip-candidate-says.html

The leaflet reads: “"We could likely remove six million cars from the roads if benefits claimants were not driving. Why do they have the privilege to spend the tax payers' hard earned money on a car, when those in work are struggling to keep their own car on the road? These people really could catch a bus."

It ends with the words: "Yet again we're proposing common sense policies and common sense solutions."

You are taking one blokes views and seem to be turning them into ukip policy. Lords Winston and Warner both advocate charging to see a doctor, can I claim that as labour party policy?

"I really trust these guys" with " our NHS"

You are taking one blokes views and seem to be turning them into ukip policy. Lords Winston and Warner both advocate charging to see a doctor, can I claim that as labour party policy?

"I really trust these guys" with " our NHS"

Who's turning it into UKIP policy? Easy pickings for the media I agree as to expose a nutcase but they have a disproportionate amount. man in pub controversial rants stuck in leaflets.

Who's turning it into UKIP policy? Easy pickings for the media I agree as to expose a nutcase but they have a disproportionate amount. man in pub controversial rants stuck in leaflets.

I like the UKIP supporters' policy of equating these loons with Lord Robert Winston.

I would love to see a Green / UKIP joint manifesto

"We will encourage more people to cycle and ban the car, however all the cyclist will have to ride on the pavement"

"We wont allow immigration but anyone who does manage to sneak in can claim benefits from day one"

Hardly realistic, is it? I mean what would you do with 6 million transit vans with painter's ladders on the roof?

You are taking one blokes views and seem to be turning them into ukip policy. "

What a sh it thing to do

You've missed out that English sports teams will only be able to play other nations the government approves of. That's England banned from Fifa , because their rules prohibit any government interference.

Oh

I like the UKIP supporters' policy of equating these loons with Lord Robert Winston.

What are your thoughts on lord Winstons idea that we should pay £200 to see the doctor . Lord Warner ex labour health minister agrees with the principle , but suggests £ 10 per month charge.

What would you think if a ukip supporter proposed it?

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

the sports team thing is Green Party policy, the unemployed not driving thing is one blokes idea, not party policy. Do you understand that important difference ?

Zzzzz nothing anyone in UKIP ever says is anything to do with UKIP. It's an effective tool to distance yourself from any criticism.

Hey, they even disowned themselves from their last manifesto.

At some point, UKIP are going to have to be accountable for what they say.

Zzzzz nothing anyone in UKIP ever says is anything to do with UKIP. It's an effective tool to distance yourself from any criticism.

Hey, they even disowned themselves from their last manifesto.

At some point, UKIP are going to have to be accountable for what they say.

It'll never happen, as their manifesto will never be put to use...

the sports team thing is Green Party policy, the unemployed not driving thing is one blokes idea, not party policy. Do you understand that important difference ?

Have you actually read the policy as opposed to the report of the policy? Its actually full of good and sensible and desirable stuff, including safe standing.

c) Professional Sport

CMS860 A strong school and amateur sports culture should, in turn, strengthen professional sport by both encouraging those who wish to pursue sport as a career and increasing the potential audience. Access to a sporting career should be available without discrimination to anyone with the desire and ability to pursue it.

CMS861 In addition to their commercial aspect, professional sporting teams often represent communities at local or national level and this social function needs to be recognised and supported by developing structures which would allow local stakeholders to participate in the running of the business.

CMS862 The Green Party would prefer professional sporting clubs to be mutually owned by the members rather than by shareholders. For those clubs which are currently Public Limited Companies, whose shares are traded internationally, the risk is always that distant shareholders, with no regard for the community the club is supposed to represent, will take over the club and sever all meaningful links with the local community. In some instances, clubs have even been moved to other towns and cities - making a mockery of any supposed local connection implied in the club's name. We will introduce legal mechanisms to allow transformation of such PLCs into Mutual Organisations with agreement of stakeholders.

CMS863 Where clubs wish to remain as PLCs, the Green Party would like to see supporters' trusts set up with the aim of achieving enough of a shareholding to prevent the club being taken over by outside financial interests.

CMS864 Local authorities should be permitted to invest in shares in professional sports clubs which operate in their area as a means of maintaining a connection between the club and its community. Any dividends paid to the authority must be reinvested into public sporting facilities or coaching programmes in the area.

CMS865 We believe in 'safestanding' for sports stadia. This means that spectators who wish to stand will be allocated their own space separated from seating only areas. There are examples of good practice in countries like Germany and we believe it is high time the UK adopted this practice. Currently (2007) UEFA does not allow the use of standing areas in grounds for its fixtures. We would seek to undo this ban where such areas are proven to be safe for spectators and where the police are satisfied that no crowd control issues would arise.

d) International Sport

CMS870 Whilst professional sport is a business, as noted above, its role in representing a community in a spirit of friendship and mutual respect with other communities should never be overlooked. This is especially so in the case of international sport.

CMS871 If a team is representing the nation then the Government should take a role in deciding whether it is appropriate for the team to take part in competition against a country with whom normal friendly, respectful, or diplomatic relations are not possible. The Government should not try to avoid taking action by treating the sport as if it was a private business venture.

CMS872 In determining whether a particular country is appropriate for international sporting contacts consideration should be given to the freedom of access by supporters and media in the country. If host government actions meant that such freedoms for UK citizens and journalists could not be reasonably guaranteed, there should be a presumption against a visit by a representative national team.

CMS873 Strategic national planning should seek to ensure that major national sporting arenas are not all sited in one part of the country and that all can be easily accessed by good public transport links. Wherever practical, the venue for international sporting fixtures should be rotated around various suitable stadia throughout the country, and should avoid being excessively focussed in London.

CMS874 When bidding to host major international sporting competitions, such as World Cups or the Olympics, wherever possible existing facilities should be proposed. No new facilities should be proposed unless their existence will also prove to be useful to the wider local community in the years to follow the games.

CMS875 The UK should use its influence with the world sporting community to encourage the placing of international games across wider geographic areas to prevent excessive negative disruption to the lives and economies of host communities.

CMS876 The televising of major national and international sporting events has a significant influence in inspiring young people to take up sports. It is therefore important to ensure that such events remain available on free-to-air nationwide TV. The Government should resist proposals to remove events from the list of those protected in such a way. It should negotiate to get highlights of major events which are no longer protected in this way, and events staged overseas involving representative national teams, made available on free-to-air TV if possible.

f) Localised Sports

CMS880 Some sports are specific to small localised areas of the country. For example Cornish Wrestling and Sussex Stoolball. Local authorities should particularly seek to encourage and support such activities both in education and in the community.

g) Sponsorship in Sport

CMS890 Sponsorship of sporting teams or events should not be used to circumvent regulations on advertising.

CMS891 Sponsorship arrangements should not be allowed to restrict access to events deemed of national or regional importance. In particular where a national team is playing then public service media should always be allowed to offer free access to all UK citizens.

Edited by buctootim

http://order-order.com/2015/01/22/breaking-greens-invited-to-tv-debates/

BREAKING: Greens Invited to TV Debates

BBC & ITV: one seven-way debate each with Tories, Labour, LibDems, Greens, UKIP, SNP and Plaid Cymru

Sky & C4: Cameron v Miliband head to head

I understand why the Greens should be involved (they're a UK wide party) but where's the logic in also including the SNP and Plaid Cymru when the majority of the TV audience won't be able to vote for them?

Edited by trousers

What are your thoughts on lord Winstons idea that we should pay £200 to see the doctor . Lord Warner ex labour health minister agrees with the principle , but suggests £ 10 per month charge.

I think they should charge it only if they find fck all wrong with you. Stop all the malingerers and hypochondriacs

And £500 if you ask the doc to sign you off as you aren't sleeping well and don't enjoy work ie. stress

I think they should charge it only if they find fck all wrong with you. Stop all the malingerers and hypochondriacs

And £500 if you ask the doc to sign you off as you aren't sleeping well and don't enjoy work ie. stress

Here's the thing . I go to a doctor when I think I'm ill , it is free for me to see him ( well free in I don't actually pay him there and then ) . If he decides I am I'll. , he writes me a prescription and I pop to the chemist and pay for it. If I'm not ill , I go away keeping my wedge in my wallet . The establishment seem happy with this , I pay when I'm ill and it's free if I'm not . Surely if an portion of it should be free it should be the remedy . But god forbide if anyone suggests paying the doctor . You can pay the chemist, but not the doc . Weird

Apply market forces. Minor stuff like broken noses, people wont go to the doc if you charge too much, so maybe £100 tops, it will be a loss leader. With cancer or heart attacks though people are really motivated buyers so we should be able to get them to mortgage their house or rent their daughter out.

I like the fact that you are equating people contributing to debate about how health care is funded in the UK (with suggestions not massively different to those in place in other western democracies) with a effing nutcase suggesting the unemployed should be banned from driving.

Seriously, great work.

I like the fact that you are equating people contributing to debate about how health care is funded in the UK (with suggestions not massively different to those in place in other western democracies) with a effing nutcase suggesting the unemployed should be banned from driving.

Seriously, great work.

I'm starting to seriously entertain it's a parody account.

Here's the thing . I go to a doctor when I think I'm ill , it is free for me to see him ( well free in I don't actually pay him there and then ) . If he decides I am I'll. , he writes me a prescription and I pop to the chemist and pay for it. If I'm not ill , I go away keeping my wedge in my wallet . The establishment seem happy with this , I pay when I'm ill and it's free if I'm not . Surely if an portion of it should be free it should be the remedy . But god forbide if anyone suggests paying the doctor . You can pay the chemist, but not the doc . Weird

Not really weird though is it. It's obviously not a good idea to discourage people from seeing the doctor in case it's something serious.

Have you actually read the policy as opposed to the report of the policy? Its actually full of good and sensible and desirable stuff, including safe standing.

c) Professional Sport

CMS860 A strong school and amateur sports culture should, in turn, strengthen professional sport by both encouraging those who wish to pursue sport as a career and increasing the potential audience. Access to a sporting career should be available without discrimination to anyone with the desire and ability to pursue it.

CMS861 In addition to their commercial aspect, professional sporting teams often represent communities at local or national level and this social function needs to be recognised and supported by developing structures which would allow local stakeholders to participate in the running of the business.

CMS862 The Green Party would prefer professional sporting clubs to be mutually owned by the members rather than by shareholders. For those clubs which are currently Public Limited Companies, whose shares are traded internationally, the risk is always that distant shareholders, with no regard for the community the club is supposed to represent, will take over the club and sever all meaningful links with the local community. In some instances, clubs have even been moved to other towns and cities - making a mockery of any supposed local connection implied in the club's name. We will introduce legal mechanisms to allow transformation of such PLCs into Mutual Organisations with agreement of stakeholders.

CMS863 Where clubs wish to remain as PLCs, the Green Party would like to see supporters' trusts set up with the aim of achieving enough of a shareholding to prevent the club being taken over by outside financial interests.

CMS864 Local authorities should be permitted to invest in shares in professional sports clubs which operate in their area as a means of maintaining a connection between the club and its community. Any dividends paid to the authority must be reinvested into public sporting facilities or coaching programmes in the area.

CMS865 We believe in 'safestanding' for sports stadia. This means that spectators who wish to stand will be allocated their own space separated from seating only areas. There are examples of good practice in countries like Germany and we believe it is high time the UK adopted this practice. Currently (2007) UEFA does not allow the use of standing areas in grounds for its fixtures. We would seek to undo this ban where such areas are proven to be safe for spectators and where the police are satisfied that no crowd control issues would arise.

d) International Sport

CMS870 Whilst professional sport is a business, as noted above, its role in representing a community in a spirit of friendship and mutual respect with other communities should never be overlooked. This is especially so in the case of international sport.

CMS871 If a team is representing the nation then the Government should take a role in deciding whether it is appropriate for the team to take part in competition against a country with whom normal friendly, respectful, or diplomatic relations are not possible. The Government should not try to avoid taking action by treating the sport as if it was a private business venture.

CMS872 In determining whether a particular country is appropriate for international sporting contacts consideration should be given to the freedom of access by supporters and media in the country. If host government actions meant that such freedoms for UK citizens and journalists could not be reasonably guaranteed, there should be a presumption against a visit by a representative national team.

CMS873 Strategic national planning should seek to ensure that major national sporting arenas are not all sited in one part of the country and that all can be easily accessed by good public transport links. Wherever practical, the venue for international sporting fixtures should be rotated around various suitable stadia throughout the country, and should avoid being excessively focussed in London.

CMS874 When bidding to host major international sporting competitions, such as World Cups or the Olympics, wherever possible existing facilities should be proposed. No new facilities should be proposed unless their existence will also prove to be useful to the wider local community in the years to follow the games.

CMS875 The UK should use its influence with the world sporting community to encourage the placing of international games across wider geographic areas to prevent excessive negative disruption to the lives and economies of host communities.

CMS876 The televising of major national and international sporting events has a significant influence in inspiring young people to take up sports. It is therefore important to ensure that such events remain available on free-to-air nationwide TV. The Government should resist proposals to remove events from the list of those protected in such a way. It should negotiate to get highlights of major events which are no longer protected in this way, and events staged overseas involving representative national teams, made available on free-to-air TV if possible.

f) Localised Sports

CMS880 Some sports are specific to small localised areas of the country. For example Cornish Wrestling and Sussex Stoolball. Local authorities should particularly seek to encourage and support such activities both in education and in the community.

g) Sponsorship in Sport

CMS890 Sponsorship of sporting teams or events should not be used to circumvent regulations on advertising.

CMS891 Sponsorship arrangements should not be allowed to restrict access to events deemed of national or regional importance. In particular where a national team is playing then public service media should always be allowed to offer free access to all UK citizens.

they state that we should not play against countries with which we don't have reasonable diplomatic relations. What happens if we are drawn in North Koreas group in the World Cup. Do we withdraw? Do we give them a 3-0 bye?

It is an admirable sentiment but utterly impractical

Seriously, great work.

£200 every time you see the doc is as nutty as banning the unemployed from driving IMO. But that wasn't my point, as well you know. Does somebodies random opinion equate to party policy? If you think this ukip nutters driving policy equates and reflects ukip policy, then charging £200 for doc visit equates and reflects labour policy. Personally I think lord Winston wanting to charge £200 to see doc is not labour policy and is misguided, and I think the same, about this'd ukip clown, but I wasn't the one posting one blokes opinion and claiming it reflected policy.

they state that we should not play against countries with which we don't have reasonable diplomatic relations. What happens if we are drawn in North Koreas group in the World Cup. Do we withdraw? Do we give them a 3-0 bye?

It is an admirable sentiment but utterly impractical

This was the point I was trying to make to Tim.

It is not only impractical but would lead to a ban from all Fifa competitions. Fifa expressly forbids government interference in its association.

£200 every time you see the doc is as nutty as banning the unemployed from driving IMO. But that wasn't my point, as well you know. Does somebodies random opinion equate to party policy? If you think this ukip nutters driving policy equates and reflects ukip policy, then charging £200 for doc visit equates and reflects labour policy. Personally I think lord Winston wanting to charge £200 to see doc is not labour policy and is misguided, and I think the same, about this'd ukip clown, but I wasn't the one posting one blokes opinion and claiming it reflected policy.

LOL.

Lord Winston is not standing for election, and has not published a leaflet claiming his ideas are "common sense solutions" like our car-banning crackpot friend. There really is no comparison.

And you are getting jolly huffy about this 200 quid thing but even a cursory read of the reports of this oh so dreadful idea show that it is little more than Sir Bob musing about how people don't see the value of the NHS.

I can't actually see a direct quote where he actually says what you say, but I can see the Daily Mail artfully spinning it, primarily to wind the likes of you up. Job done, I reckon.

Nothing will change all the time the major parties just look to score points off of each other and they are brave enough to discuss the real issues such as NHS, Imigration etc without fear of reprisals from the other parties.

These are the people with the power to change, instead they choose to have bun fights

Agreed, let's hope Nigel doesnt follow the establishment and jerrymander a crony into the lords.

Lol at UKIP not being establishment. Of all their ********, this is the biggest load.

2MPs, both former Tory MPs.

A leader who was a former Tory activist. And a stock broker in the city.

The majority of their funding comes from former Tory backers.

Not to mention the countless other Tories, such as Neil Hamilton who play a prominent role in the party.

Oh and his entire ideal is pretty much delivering the uk back to some mythical 1950(ish) ideal of Britain that only really exists in fantasy where straight white men have all power and are utterly beyond reproach.

Are you capable of not swallowing a single word that comes out of Farages mouth without question?

Edited by KelvinsRightGlove

http://order-order.com/2015/01/22/breaking-greens-invited-to-tv-debates/

I understand why the Greens should be involved (they're a UK wide party) but where's the logic in also including the SNP and Plaid Cymru when the majority of the TV audience won't be able to vote for them?

A 7 way debate will be terrible, no one will have time to say anything except their sound bites.

And they should have separate Scotland and Wales debates if they want the regional parties involved