General Election 2015

trousers

We get it, UJ, you're a Tory. Anything connected with the Labour Party, you're going to see as a negative. But please don't pretend you've been anything other than that.

Certainly not voting Conservative (or UKIP for that matter) this year.

My issue is with Russell Brand, and to be fair I have pretty consistently condemned him on here over the last year If you want to have a look at what I have posted.

Certainly not voting Conservative (or UKIP for that matter) this year.

My issue is with Russell Brand, and to be fair I have pretty consistently condemned him on here over the last year If you want to have a look at what I have posted.

In your post, your issue was with the Labour Party, not Brand...

In your post, your issue was with the Labour Party, not Brand...

My problem is with the Labour Party, BECAUSE of Brand. Doesn't automatically make me a Tory.

There are a million different people they could have aligned themselves with rather than that nutjob, but the powers that be thought he was who they should have gone for.

Labour could have won this election 5 times over if it weren't for the Ed's and decisions like this. I may even have voted for them if Dave was involved.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

My problem is with the Labour Party, BECAUSE of Brand. Doesn't automatically make me a Tory.

There are a million different people they could have aligned themselves with rather than that nutjob, but the powers that be thought he was who they should have gone for.

Labour could have won this election 5 times over if it weren't for the Ed's and decisions like this. I may even have voted for them if Dave was involved.

It's precisely because he's a 'nutjob' that they are reaching out to him. Which other 'nutjobs' could they have gone for.

It's precisely because he's a 'nutjob' that they are reaching out to him. Which other 'nutjobs' could they have gone for.

And because a significant number of young, potentially disenfranchised, voters read and agree with what he writes. ( To be honest, I'm an older and potentially disenfranchised voter, and I agree with some of it ).

If you did one of those internet questionnaires where you answer lots policy questions, and they recommend the best party for you... I'm pretty sure they'd select the Conservatives for you...

Brand has 10 million mainly young twitter followers. 10 million Jeff.

As discussed on the Brand thread, regardless of our views of the man, many young people listen to what he has to say and agree with him so it's a pretty shrewd move my Labour IMHO.

Exactly. As much as I think some of Brand's views are idiotic, its arrogant of Cameron to simply dismiss him and his followers as a joke rather than engage and try to explain his arguments to them.

But then that's sort of what Cameron is doing with all the parties, scaremongering rather than engaging with the policy.

The BoE regulated the banks for years, Brown set up the new tripartite system and it failed. So it wasn't a question of more or less regulation, but proper regulation .

The tripartite system was effectively a deregulation.

"In 1997, The Chancellor of the Exchequer announced the deregulation of the banks and other financial institutions. They freed the Bank of England from direct government control and removed the power by the Bank of England (and therefore by the government) from controlling the financial activities of banks in the UK."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deregulation

Like him or not, Brand has been good for politics in this country recently. He's certainly helped to get younger, disenfranchised people more interested and engaged than anyone in the previous few elections. That can only be a good thing.

I like what he talks about, and he at least has some passion about him. Don't agree with him on everything, but he wants to make things better for people and I have a hard time criticising that.

There seems to be much more talk of 'the establishment' this election than in any I can remember, and of all the people currently part of the equation (yes, I know he isn't standing) he is certainly the most anti-establishment of the lot.

The tripartite system was effectively a deregulation.

"In 1997, The Chancellor of the Exchequer announced the deregulation of the banks and other financial institutions. They freed the Bank of England from direct government control and removed the power by the Bank of England (and therefore by the government) from controlling the financial activities of banks in the UK."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deregulation

No the tripartite arrangements, in themselves, weren't deregulation. They were a form of rationalisation -freeing the BoE to monitor the stability of the system as a whole while empowering the FSA, an independent regulator, to deal with the nitty gritty and the individual conduct of banks and financial actors.

In isolation, such a division of labour made and makes complete and utter sense.

HTH

Like him or not, Brand has been good for politics in this country recently. He's certainly helped to get younger, disenfranchised people more interested and engaged than anyone in the previous few elections. That can only be a good thing.

I like what he talks about, and he at least has some passion about him. Don't agree with him on everything, but he wants to make things better for people and I have a hard time criticising that.

There seems to be much more talk of 'the establishment' this election than in any I can remember, and of all the people currently part of the equation (yes, I know he isn't standing) he is certainly the most anti-establishment of the lot.

+1

Good move by Miliband to address some of the points that will be raised by Brand (corporate power, tax avoidance etc) because they aren't fashionable things to talk about in debates but they are issues that young people and disenfranchised voters worry about and want to hear their politicians speaking about.

As discussed on the Brand thread, regardless of our views of the man, many young people listen to what he has to say and agree with him so it's a pretty shrewd move my Labour IMHO.

Blatant opportunism can work both ways...

Yeah, but they'll probably believe you when you backtrack on your inane questions.

Yep, you're right again. Of course I was expecting a bloke on the Saints Web forum to have access to the case notes. Never any doubt on that one.... ;)

Yep, you're right again. Of course I was expecting a bloke on the Saints Web forum to have access to the case notes. Never any doubt on that one.... ;)

Simpler explanation. You post a lot of crap frequently, mostly not your own content, so struggle when you go original.

No shame in it.

He's told those 10 million not to bother voting. This is Eds chance to convince them otherwise. Might just swing a couple of marginals.

The idiot Brand has told those 10 Million not to bother voting and even if a decent proportion of them were eligible to vote in the first place, if they are not already registered to vote because they have followed Brand's advice, it is too late to do so now, the deadline having passed. It seems that he is closing the stable doors after the horse has bolted and that his policy of pursuing these voters is flogging said horse which is already dead.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/318815-stvipsos-mori-poll-snp-set-to-win-all-scots-seats-at-general-election/

The SNP is on course to take every seat in Scotland at the general election, according to the latest STV News poll.

A survey on voter intention showed 54% are set to back Nicola Sturgeon's party on May 7, up two points since January.

Based on the findings of the latest poll conducted by Ipsos-MORI , the Electoral Calculus website suggests that the SNP could win all 59 Scottish seats up for grabs.

If you did one of those internet questionnaires where you answer lots policy questions, and they recommend the best party for you... I'm pretty sure they'd select the Conservatives for you...

Last one I did came out exactly the same, 66% for Labour and Conservatives. I think you're making some assumptions here that are pretty off the mark.

The idiot Brand has told those 10 Million not to bother voting and even if a decent proportion of them were eligible to vote in the first place, if they are not already registered to vote because they have followed Brand's advice, it is too late to do so now, the deadline having passed. It seems that he is closing the stable doors after the horse has bolted and that his policy of pursuing these voters is flogging said horse which is already dead.

Are you really claiming that all those 10 million people thinking about not voting are not registered anyway? If so that is epicly dumb. The most apathetic age group are 18-24, of whom a large number will be registered at their parents address even if they did nothing about it themselves. I have no idea how many Brand has influenced but if its anywhere near 10m, 1m or 100,000 its significant and worth targetting. As Jonnyboy says it could well swing a few marginals and in a neck and neck race thats vital.

Last one I did came out exactly the same, 66% for Labour and Conservatives. I think you're making some assumptions here that are pretty off the mark.

A lot of people put down the answers they think friends / society / their little moral voice at the back of their head expects them to say - even when alone with a quiz and no-one will ever know what you said. I'm not accusing you, many people do it. Good psychology tests incorporate lie tests (eg "have you ever stolen anything, even a pin or button?"). Some people claim to have never stolen anything - and you can safely disregard their answers.

A lot of people put down the answers they think friends / society / their little moral voice at the back of their head expects them to say - even when alone with a quiz and no-one will ever know what you said. I'm not accusing you, many people do it. Good psychology tests incorporate lie tests (eg "have you ever stolen anything, even a pin or button?"). Some people claim to have never stolen anything - and you can safely disregard their answers.

My sensibilities are general right wing, however in this election and these policies I can't vote Conservative.

I don't think we can cut benefits anymore, I think the top rate of tax should be put back up to 50%, I don't think we should privatise any of the NHS etc etc.

Are you really claiming that all those 10 million people thinking about not voting are not registered anyway? If so that is epicly dumb. The most apathetic age group are 18-24, of whom a large number will be registered at their parents address even if they did nothing about it themselves. I have no idea how many Brand has influenced but if its anywhere near 10m, 1m or 100,000 its significant and worth targetting. As Jonnyboy says it could well swing a few marginals and in a neck and neck race thats vital.

Please read my post again and tell me where I had suggested that all those 10 million are not registered to vote. I would suggest that the majority of Brand's followers fall into that most apathetic group aged between 18-24 and here is their guru telling them not to bother to vote. Then the geeky Milliband tells them that they ought to vote Labour. I wonder who will engage them more.

There is the possibility that in a few key marginals it might make a difference, or it could be that some voters in key marginals will be pursuaded to vote the other way because Labour believes that cosying up to a prat like Brand puts them off. Who knows?

My sensibilities are general right wing, however in this election and these policies I can't vote Conservative.

I don't think we can cut benefits anymore, I think the top rate of tax should be put back up to 50%, I don't think we should privatise any of the NHS etc etc.

You're more left wing than me! I'd keep it at 40% but equalise the relief on pension contributions so its the same for everybody - say around 30%.

You're more left wing than me! I'd keep it at 40% but equalise the relief on pension contributions so its the same for everybody - say around 30%.

...45%...

People make assumptions as I don't like Labour (mainly because of the Ed's), but I am certainly not entrenched enough in my views that I wouldn't consider different parties (ie if David M was running the Labour party). People who will only vote based on a party and not policies that they perceive are best for the country annoy me.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff