Where is Cortese now?

9-3

What do you have against commas, seriously now!

Nothing, there are three in the former text, but I don't like underlining and I speak and write slower (these days), so just consider.......as " thinking time ".

or alternatively ..... don't think about it so much. We're all " a little eccentric " ....in one way or another.:rolleyes:

Edited by david in sweden

There's an unequivocal "Cortese is not interested in Leeds" story in the Mail today.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3309553/Former-Southampton-chief-Nicola-Cortese-won-t-buy-Leeds-Swiss-banker-waits-right-option-returning-football.html

"However, the Swiss banker has already declined several offers to run or buy clubs since his departure from St Mary’s and will only consider realistic options."

i.e. Not just lazy journo stories where they've just gone Cellini = Italian, Cortese = Italian, Cortese = ex-football chairman, and written any old crap.

Indeed. Also I feel that SFC has gone back to being a nice friendly family club again which is one of the reasons I started supporting the club

(back in 1966 when I lived in London) in the first place. If I wanted some Corporate Project there are plenty to chose from elsewhere.

Cortese and Leeds are a perfect match. I hope it happens and will be very interested to see how it plays out if it does.

I would have said exactly the same thing " sadoldgit "......I saw my first game in 1959, and never looked back. Even though I've lived abroad for several decades, a visit to SMS (these days) still has the same appeal...the only thing being that some of the fans look a lot older and some of the policeman a lot younger :lol:

There is no doubt that a lot of what Cortese did was good ......and necessary, but whatever his motivation he would have won a lot more people over had he better understood our history, the sentimental attachments in our fan base..... and given more than one media interview per season.

This is nothing more than PR bluster, using David Bick i expect.

No sane person would touch clotese.

Or Leeds! Unless you have an endless pot of money this is one of football's great poison chalices. Once a huge club yes, but getting them back there is not such an easy job.

Who is saying anything "went wrong" with him. That's the standard and simplistric response to anyone who criticised him in any way at all for certain aspects of what he was doing and how he was doing.

Personally I'm very glad he's not at SFC right now. He did a brilliant job with the team and building behind the scenes with the training ground. He also made some big errors with over-spending and his promises to have the club running on an even financial keel, which just wasn't going to happen. Being as Kat wasn't prepared to fund the financial shortfall any more some big changes were needed.

The current team at the top have taken all the good things that were built up and they have continued/improved them further them, while they have also improved the club and operations in other areas. SFC feels more inclusive these days whereas Cortese made it feel like " his baby", his own personal fiefdom.

Good answer mate, clearly the question was aimed at the guy who said "I'm glad he left", just wanted him to say why, because some people on here just have a personal vendetta based on his height or previous links to jobs, pathetic really, they just keep playing the same boring, monotonous tune over and over again. I would also defend his 'football' legacy, he got us to the PL and he had a certain vision, in particular about playing the kids, i think that was a very proactive agenda and it is one of the things that seems to be lost presently and that's a shame, but hey, its not all bad is it.

Good answer mate, clearly the question was aimed at the guy who said "I'm glad he left", just wanted him to say why, because some people on here just have a personal vendetta based on his height or previous links to jobs, pathetic really, they just keep playing the same boring, monotonous tune over and over again. I would also defend his 'football' legacy, he got us to the PL and he had a certain vision, in particular about playing the kids, i think that was a very proactive agenda and it is one of the things that seems to be lost presently and that's a shame, but hey, its not all bad is it.

Most people do not have agendas but views based on their understanding of things that went on at SFC during Cortese's time.

Although as you say we achieved success on the football field which was hardly surprising as SFC have been a top rate club for 40 years with a quality infrastructure stadium and loyal fanbase situated in one of the largest city's in the country.

I am not saying Cortese did not do a good job in getting us back to the PL but it was relatively easy because of our new financial clout and our recent history however how he achieved this feat was carried out in a way which I thought was very shoddy as well as paying himself loads of dosh especially as many SFC employees were badly paid and some badly treated too.

The way he treated employees local businesses old players and the press should not have been tolerated and eventually was not.

I am very glad he has gone as I feel the club is again part of the community well run with more effort being put into commercial activities which are very important if we are to consolidate as a top 8 PL club.

PS He was also divisive as we would not be posting these comments if he was not

Or Leeds! Unless you have an endless pot of money this is one of football's great poison chalices. Once a huge club yes, but getting them back there is not such an easy job.

"Once a huge club" where have we heard that one before. To me they and their vocal fans are as delusional as poopey and theirs. There is no reason why they should ever be a "huge" club again.........

"Once a huge club" where have we heard that one before. To me they and their vocal fans are as delusional as poopey and theirs. There is no reason why they should ever be a "huge" club again.........

Utter nonsense. If any club is the definition of a sleeping giant its Leeds. I live 15 miles from Leeds and their support is huge. It's a big one club city where most people support Leeds, it's the third biggest city in the country I believe, as well as drawing large support from towns all over Yorkshire and beyond. Not mention the fact that they have fans all over the country, not on the scale of Man United or Liverpool perhaps but they are certainly the Chelsea or spurs of the north in terms of support. I don't like Leeds, particularly living in the area being surrounded by their fans day in day out but in terms of support they are one of the biggest clubs in the country.

They've been grossly mismanaged for years, if they had an owner prepared to spend money to get them back up then they could easily be a force again.

What is your problem with https://www.facebook.com/clotese.porter

I am glad he left because I think the club is better off without him even though he did good things. For a specific example consider Benali's run. Ralph Krueger ran part of the way with him on the last leg, but did not join him for the run into the stadium. I suspect Cortese would not have handled the situation as well or, possibly, even let Benali end his run by running into St. Mary's before a game.

Utter nonsense. If any club is the definition of a sleeping giant its Leeds. I live 15 miles from Leeds and their support is huge. It's a big one club city where most people support Leeds, it's the third biggest city in the country I believe, as well as drawing large support from towns all over Yorkshire and beyond. Not mention the fact that they have fans all over the country, not on the scale of Man United or Liverpool perhaps but they are certainly the Chelsea or spurs of the north in terms of support. I don't like Leeds, particularly living in the area being surrounded by their fans day in day out but in terms of support they are one of the biggest clubs in the country.

They've been grossly mismanaged for years, if they had an owner prepared to spend money to get them back up then they could easily be a force again.

Keep in mind that Financial Fair Play makes it much harder to just buy progress now. If Leeds is currently running at a loss it will be very difficult for a new owner to make immediate progress. A little bit of research suggests that Leeds is not currently on solid financial ground.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/latest-lufc-news/leeds-united-shambles-opens-up-a-flood-of-questions-1-7553208#axzz3r1dTZfCB

http://www.thescratchingshed.com/2014/04/latest-accounts-show-dire-financial-state-of-leeds-united/

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/latest-lufc-news/leeds-united-whites-left-to-count-cost-of-gfh-s-tenure-1-6995691#axzz3r1dTZfCB

There is simply no room for financial maneuvering to buy improved performance. The new owner would need to spend a few years recovering the situation before investment would help significantly. In the short run, the owner would have to kick in millions of pounds just to reduce the level of the Financial Fair Play violations already in existence.

Edited by Redslo

I'm neither glad he left or disappointed that he is not here. Clearly the club has moved in a different direction which is perhaps not as ambitious short term but more stable (though the owner is worth a reported £4 Billion, so it would take a hell of a lot to make us unstable, basically her walking out) long term. Its great to see the likes of Matt back at the club but at the same time all we ever heard was his and Franny's side of the story, Cortese always kept a dignified silence on the matter, so who knows the truth?

I think Cortese would have got us into the top four but obviously it wasn't his money. At the same time, if Kat was signing it off then so what? Clearly she didn't want to do that any longer (or had the power to pull the rug out from beneath him) and despite early indications that she was in for a fire sale, that doesn't seem to be the case.

But I still think that we were motoring somewhere under Cortese and now we are just plain sailing, fine while the wind is with us.

An obsession with David Bick and use of 'Clotese', it's you isn't it UTS!!!! How the devil are you? Didn't realise you were back posting on here, I thought you just stuck to Twitter now after that unfortunate incident on TUI which led to your demise over there.

I'm neither glad he left or disappointed that he is not here. Clearly the club has moved in a different direction which is perhaps not as ambitious short term but more stable (though the owner is worth a reported £4 Billion, so it would take a hell of a lot to make us unstable, basically her walking out) long term. Its great to see the likes of Matt back at the club but at the same time all we ever heard was his and Franny's side of the story, Cortese always kept a dignified silence on the matter, so who knows the truth?

I think Cortese would have got us into the top four but obviously it wasn't his money. At the same time, if Kat was signing it off then so what? Clearly she didn't want to do that any longer (or had the power to pull the rug out from beneath him) and despite early indications that she was in for a fire sale, that doesn't seem to be the case.

But I still think that we were motoring somewhere under Cortese and now we are just plain sailing, fine while the wind is with us.

She wasn't signing it off, the estate was going through the various legal processes and was held in trust for the first few years, and she only became owner at some point in the year before Cortese left.

Or Leeds!

Unless you have an endless pot of money this is one of football's great poison chalices. Once a huge club yes, but getting them back there is not such an easy job.

the greatest flaw in their (and Pompey's for that matter) strategy was to throw lots of money at the problem in the hope of getting a quick fix... that rarely works.

Even at L1 level, Saints were accused (by some) of being a rich club because they spent a £1million on a 27 y.o. " journeyman" striker ...whereas in reality the squad that Alan Pardew's first (and only) season gave us the basis of a team that went right up to the Prem..... (absolutely no reflection on Nigel Adkins' contribution).

The long term approach that Cortese planned (although ridiculed by some) gave the club time to build a new infrastructure, whereas I can think those people who - (having gained a billionaire owner) would have forked out many millions on top grade players and wanted instant success... even with -10 points hanging over them.

The real problem is that so-called " big teams " need constant success, in the way a junkie need his next fix....and there comes a point for all clubs where they have to go back to the drawing board and re-think it. Those of us who are ...a little longer in the tooth....can remember the great Liverpool sides of the 60's and 70's, who won almost everything in sight - several times over - and they seemed almost invincible - until we started regularly knocking them over on their visits to The Dell in the late 80's.

Nowadays, the only remnant of that ....is the club's name and the chorus of " You'll never walk alone " at Anfield.

Leeds had their day....but they often " almost won everything " and frequently ended up empty-handed, but they were a force to be reckoned with in their better days.

As this thread is about Cortese, I think he could DAJF Leeds, even if he denies it now. The only problem might be that along the way he'd lose more friends than he made.

Regardless of the ownership a football club is really the paying customers at the turnstile ...(OK, OK - those who buy season tickets and shirts on-line).

The real heart of football is really the loyal fan bas. The cameraderie of queueing for a match ticket and the banter in the queue, but nowadays you just need to pay by swift, and turn up on matchdays. In today's world, even success has a price the fan has to pay.

She wasn't signing it off, the estate was going through the various legal processes and was held in trust for the first few years, and she only became owner at some point in the year before Cortese left.

indeed, so clearly she was chomping at the bit to stop him spending the money despite the relative success that he had achieved. I still wonder what her long term plan is and it wouldnt surprise me to see her sell out at some point, though at least we are a very attractive proposition for someone now, I guess we have to worry about the likes of the Ray Ransoms and Michael Wildes of this world, back to the Paul Allen's.

indeed, so clearly she was chomping at the bit to stop him spending the money despite the relative success that he had achieved. I still wonder what her long term plan is and it wouldnt surprise me to see her sell out at some point, though at least we are a very attractive proposition for someone now, I guess we have to worry about the likes of the Ray Ransoms and Michael Wildes of this world, back to the Paul Allen's.

"At some point" is a fairly safe bet. :D

indeed, so clearly she was chomping at the bit to stop him spending the money despite the relative success that he had achieved.

I still wonder what her long term plan is and it wouldnt surprise me to see her sell out at some point, though at least we are a very attractive proposition for someone now,

I guess we have to worry about the likes of the Ray Ransoms and Michael Wildes of this world, back to the Paul Allen's.

I really don't see this happening.The Liebherrs' seem a close-knit family and Katarina has paid a lot of respect to her (late father) in continuing to develop the club.

I don't know any billionaires, but I have met one or two VERY rich people....and at that level money - isn't just business - it's a hobby, and when you don't have to worry about next month's mortgage payment, or the cost of the car repairs - not everyone is anxious to make MORE AND MORE......it just comes to them.

You can have several houses, a garage full of cars, but you can only wear one pair of shoes at a time, and money can only be invested-or spent and owning a football club ...or a racing stable is the millionaire's (sorry - billionaires) fun hobby, regardless of whether you win all the time or not.

Like him or not (people like) Bill Gates has shown that, - if you can't take it with you ....why not give some back....it gratifys them ...and pleases others.

Developing a club - isn't just buying a new player for £xx million, but Staplewood is a prime example of a longer term strategy.

I don't see Katarina leaving that behind for a new factory, or a luxury yacht - certainly not in the short term - if at all.

Plenty of LOLs there. Great work as usual.

I don't always agree with CB Fry, but on this occasion I do.

Cortese was a champagne Charlie with somebody else's money.

Les Reed was his best acquisition. Probably one of the most important decisions in our history.

Cortese was the Architect of our survival. Reed is the Architect of our future.

Both men integral and fundamental in our rise from the ashes.

Les Reed was his best acquisition. Probably one of the most important decisions in our history.

Very well put.

I think we may be over estimating Les's influence. Cortese made all the decisions when he was here in true dictator style. Reed's remit was pretty small. Now it appears that Koeman Bros are making all the important decisions. Who do you think was the reason for Pelle, Van Dijk, Tadic, Steklenburg, Claise, etc coming? Koeman or Reed?

I think we may be over estimating Les's influence. Cortese made all the decisions when he was here in true dictator style. Reed's remit was pretty small. Now it appears that Koeman Bros are making all the important decisions. Who do you think was the reason for Pelle, Van Dijk, Tadic, Steklenburg, Claise, etc coming? Koeman or Reed?

Les Reed is important, I don't see how anyone can say otherwise. Cortese definitely was the final decision maker during his tenure here but that didn't mean he didn't have recommendations made to him by his Managers nor Les Reed etc. Les Reed fulfils that role now on the football side but he will still be made recommendations (in fact I think he then relays a set of players to Koeman once he is happy and Koeman determines which one he wants).

Whatever people think of Cortese, he delievered on the brief pretty emphatically. One thing he seems to have been particularly good at was making the right appointments. Pardew, Reed, Adkins, Pochettino..... They all did well and they all delivered. This is an area his predecessor failed pretty miserably in, with one exception.

Now, he had good resources but it still took drive, ambition and ability to turn the club round. He did it.

It seems as though he wanted unfettered executive authority and clearly that isn't going to be acceptable to most shareholders so he made his own position untenable. He may also have been a bit of an arse but that hardly makes him unique in football.

I don't understand why anyone would have a polarised opinion on him. He did an excellent job but had a limited shelf-life and, unless you wanted new owners, it is right that he has now moved on. I don't understand vitriol, unless you have been personally wronged by him. Even then, it doesn't detract from the job he did in general.

Les Reed is important' date=' I don't see how anyone can say otherwise. Cortese definitely was the final decision maker during his tenure here but that didn't mean he didn't have recommendations made to him by his Managers nor Les Reed etc. Les Reed fulfils that role now on the football side but he will still be made recommendations (in fact I think he then relays a set of players to Koeman once he is happy and Koeman determines which one he wants).[/quote']

I can't see that any of the players I mentioned above would need relaying to Ronald by Reed.

I can't see that any of the players I mentioned above would need relaying to Ronald by Reed.

Koeman would already be aware of the players but he also said that Tadic and Pelle were already 'on the list' when he arrived (i.e. a list of players we were monitoring before Koeman came) and I believe that was the case with Mane and VvD too.

Seems fairly clear to me that we have an information management system which has been developed under Reed which identifies possible targets for discussion. Then he, the people who hold the funds, and the managerial team discuss them. Obviously where a manager/head coach has personal knowledge of a player, their tendencies and character over a long period that is a significant factor in the decision, as it's better than any amount of third-party scouting and video, and Ronald and Erwin know a lot of Dutch and Dutch-based players.

Funnily enough, I trust Ronald Koeman (and Les Reed)'s judgement of footballers a lot more than Nicola Cortese's.

Whatever people think of Cortese, he delievered on the brief pretty emphatically. One thing he seems to have been particularly good at was making the right appointments. Pardew, Reed, Adkins, Pochettino..... They all did well and they all delivered. This is an area his predecessor failed pretty miserably in, with one exception.

Now, he had good resources but it still took drive, ambition and ability to turn the club round. He did it.

It seems as though he wanted unfettered executive authority and clearly that isn't going to be acceptable to most shareholders so he made his own position untenable. He may also have been a bit of an arse but that hardly makes him unique in football.

I don't understand why anyone would have a polarised opinion on him. He did an excellent job but had a limited shelf-life and, unless you wanted new owners, it is right that he has now moved on. I don't understand vitriol, unless you have been personally wronged by him. Even then, it doesn't detract from the job he did in general.

You don't have to like people to appreciate their achievements Benjii. The bloke clearly delivered the goods and quickly too but I can see why is wasn't universally liked. I didn't care for his methods and what to me was always a family club suddenly became this corporate machine on his watch. It feels like a family club again which shows that you don't have to trample on tradition or to be a hard nosed bastard to run a successful football club. There is old saying that you cant make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. I lost count of how many eggs were broken during his reign. Is it really so hard to get on with past legends? How hard can it be to see that fans buy into tradition and love their colours? If you have any PR savvy whatsoever you don't have to be a genius to see that it is a good idea to keep the local media sweet. I never met the man and cant say that I was ever personally wronged by him (apart from trying to make us look like Liverpool) but I could see that there was a massive ego at work and that sometimes my way of the highway isn't the best way to operate. SFC is doing well, is in good hands and has got its heart and soul back. For that I am thankful.

Basically, now we've got everything we wanted for when Cortese was around, without having to put up with him being a massive d11ck to get it... except the stuff Cortese claimed to think we could achieve but wasn't able to deliver either.

Was does a champagne charlie with somebody else's money even mean? Its as illiterate as its melodramatic.

Trillions and trillions in financial assets are managed on others behalf - that's how the real world works pal.

Edited by shurlock

Was (What) does a c©hampagne c©harlie with somebody else's money even mean? Its as illiterate as its melodramatic.

His description was perfectly reasonable and simple to understand. As it was not at all illiterate, then presumably you don't find it to be over-melodramatic either.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/Champagne-Charlie

Maybe Cortese has put the Champagne Charlie lifestyle behind him now, as has Souness.

His description was perfectly reasonable and simple to understand. As it was not at all illiterate, then presumably you don't find it to be over-melodramatic either.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/Champagne-Charlie

Maybe Cortese has put the Champagne Charlie lifestyle behind him now, as has Souness.

No les, that's not the point.

Are you going to enlighten me as to what your point was then, Shylock?

I see nothing wrong with the way he expressed his opinion, which you labelled rather ungrammatically as illiterate

Thought you might have worked that out from the second sentence. It's the bemused and slightly condescending reference to just 'somebody else's money'. Just pointing out that the majority of the world's financial investments are made on this basis -and that role is neither trivial nor risk-free. Whether Cortese managed effectively the assets under his stewardship is another discussion.

Illiteracy, as in commercial, financial, economic illiteracy. Literate enough to understand this all, Les?

Edited by shurlock

Brilliant, someone uses the vaguest possible term about Katharina selling, so vague it was almost pointless, then in response someone else actually says they can't EVER see it happening.

This forum is amazing. :D

well it's not a new subject is it " 9 " and we are all entitles to an opinion........and I didn't use the word ....EVER.

Nothing is for ever.....not in this world anyway....

yes and such an elaborate response from you, but then reasoned debate is not one of your strong points is it?

I'm not planning on having a reasoned debate with someone who drools over Nicola Cortese's "dignified silence" anytime soon. But thanks for giving me a nice chuckle anyway.

Thought you might have worked that out from the second sentence. It's the bemused and slightly condescending reference to just 'somebody else's money'. Pointing out that the majority of the world's commercial investments are made on this basis -and that role is neither trivial nor risk-free. Whether Cortese managed effectively the assets under his stewardship is another discussion.

Illiteracy, as in commercial, financial, economic illiteracy. Literate enough to understand this all, Les?

Well, Shylock, it seems that once you are quizzed about it, it becomes clear that you were not prepared to take Andy Durman's opinion at face value without adding your own little caveats, which you then edited.

We'll all have to become mind-readers to recognise that when you asserted that AD's opinion that Cortese was a Champagne Charlie with somebody else's money was illiterate, you were referring to your own definition of illiteracy appertaining to the financial sense rather than the written word as expressed by AD.

You then go on to raise as a separate issue whether Cortese had effectively managed the Liebherr assets under his stewardship, which goes nicely around the houses once again to AD's opinion that Cortese was a Champagne Charlie (read the dictionary definition again) and that it was not his money. In other words, he also questioned whether Cortese had managed the Liebherr assets assiduously, just as you have done.

Comprehend?

Well, Shylock, it seems that once you are quizzed about it, it becomes clear that you were not prepared to take Andy Durman's opinion at face value without adding your own little caveats, which you then edited.

We'll all have to become mind-readers to recognise that when you asserted that AD's opinion that Cortese was a Champagne Charlie with somebody else's money was illiterate, you were referring to your own definition of illiteracy appertaining to the financial sense rather than the written word as expressed by AD.

You then go on to raise as a separate issue whether Cortese had effectively managed the Liebherr assets under his stewardship, which goes nicely around the houses once again to AD's opinion that Cortese was a Champagne Charlie (read the dictionary definition again) and that it was not his money. In other words, he also questioned whether Cortese had managed the Liebherr assets assiduously, just as you have done.

Comprehend?

You still don't get it. I've subsequently clarified the context in which I used the term, something youve chosen to ignore. Of course, you completely ignored the second paragraph of my original post that would have made that clear all along, so it doesn't surprise me. But hey it doesn't fit your bizarre rant that's got lost somewhere between your backside and dictionary corner, so I guess fill your boots, Les. I'll leave it there.

I'm not planning on having a reasoned debate with someone who drools over Nicola Cortese's "dignified silence" anytime soon. But thanks for giving me a nice chuckle anyway.

You're right; having a reasoned debate with someone who ridicules someone's height is pointless.

Where is Cortese now ?

Writing a cheque to SFC for the 'personal choice' of the woeful Gaston Ramirez and wasting £20 Million of club money.

As only as just about every other PL chairman writes out the cheques for their flops too, welcome to football pal.

Remind me how much we paid for Rory Delap or Alan McLoughlin. Or Rudi Scatel?

That's the first I've heard about this. Is this fact?

It is indeed a FACT Lou. Nick nacks spending and ego were out of control. He was an absolute control freak wanting every decision made by him. The shambles of a kit we had, Nick nacks Decisions, transfers, all his decision, the money wasted on the training ground, all driven by his ego wanting private lifts, ripping down cladding because it wasn't exactly how he imagined it would look. He was also utterly paranoid, appointing spies inside SMS to grass up on if anyone spoke badly of him, promising them promtion and pay rises if they grassed on colleagues, when they did the victim was fired and the grass never received their promised reward. Yo couldn't make it up.

Whilst Markus estate was in probate Nick nack was spend spend spending. Taking out loans, over spending left right and centre, when Kat officially came into power Cortese had racked up the debts and was only giving Kat a top line figure as to the clubs finances. When she demanded, as is her right, greater governance on where her money was going the dwarf threw yet another paddy (summer 2013) saying he'd quit. The writing was on the wall from then on and was only a matter of time before the mess he was getting us in was uncovered and he was allowed to get away with it. Given the option to resign or quit.

Of course it would be wrong to say all he did was bad, for a while he did a great job but the cracks appeared once we got promotion to the or ever league, that was when his ego got out of control thinking he was infallible. Long before he went I warned of all this and told what I knew and was ridiculed and abused for it. It seems now baring a few fanatics even Corteses biggest fans realise he had taken us as far as he could and needed replacing.