4th place or FA Cup?

SNSUN

4th place for me - it shows a sustained level of performance over an entire season. And would absolutely rock the footballing establishment in the UK!

Whilst a cup win is very romantic, the under dogs do win it. A team/club such as Southampton does not achieve 4th place in the Premier League.

I can't make up my mind between the two. From a selfish perspective, winning the cup would be an amazing once in a life time experience. But your argument about rocking the establishment is a compelling one. I love rocking the ugly football establishment and ****ing them off! A big part of me wants this more. Maybe we can get Blatter sacked too.

3rd place as I think it means we don't have to play a qualifier - or am I wring - please confirm those ITK

If we finish 4th then I see us going out to some eastern European team whose name we can't even pronounce so it would all be over in 2 games. Those saying 4th and then saying they would like to see us playing the big guns need to think about the qualifying rounds - it ain't easy.

Of course I would wet myself if we won the FA Cup!

3rd position as the benefits for the club are huge with the cash injection the CL will give us, will allow us to improve the squad and be able to pay to keep the stars we want and need to stay. Of course qualifying will make it easier to attract better players.

I am old enough to have witnessed the cup win of 1976. It was a fantastic, unforgettable, ecstatic experience. One of the greatest moments of my life, exceeded only by the special family moments.

But despite that memory I would still take Champions League football in order to take our great club to a level I never before imagined. Yes, the FA Cup would be a wonderful moment but you only have to think Wigan and P**pey to see what it is worth in the long term.

both

Amazes me that so many add to the discussion by saying both. Being a Saints forum tis a pretty pointless answer as teh question is what is your preference.

Shall I start a thread with 'who hopes we get 3 pts at Newcastle'?

Don't the losers of champions league play offs end up in the Europa league? Sure besiktas played arsenal this year and were playing spurs in Europe last month?

Yes they do. If we finish fourth we will be playing in the group stage of either the Champion's League or the Europa League.

3rd place as I think it means we don't have to play a qualifier - or am I wring - please confirm those ITK

If we finish 4th then I see us going out to some eastern European team whose name we can't even pronounce so it would all be over in 2 games. Those saying 4th and then saying they would like to see us playing the big guns need to think about the qualifying rounds - it ain't easy.

Of course I would wet myself if we won the FA Cup!

I address this on my blog today.

http://www.redsloscf.blogspot.co.uk

Amazes me that so many add to the discussion by saying both. Being a Saints forum tis a pretty pointless answer as teh question is what is your preference.

I want one point if it means we can get three points against Man City on the last day of the season.

FA Cup is played every year, we will have many more opportunities to win an FA Cup. We may never get another chance to play in the Champions League.

Was just about to post the same, exactly this! The FA Cup can wait till next year! CL qualification aside, 4th place would mean finishing ahead of 2 of Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal which over a 38 game season would be an unbelievable achievement.

Was just about to post the same, exactly this! The FA Cup can wait till next year! CL qualification aside, 4th place would mean finishing ahead of 2 of Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal which over a 38 game season would be an unbelievable achievement.

Completely agree. Seeing Saints in the CL would be the highest point in my time as a Saints fan, even if it's in a qualifying round. Still have fond memories of the Steaua game. FA Cup happens every year - we may not have this kind of opportunity for CL football for a while after this season.

Thank you Whelk. :) Of course we all want both, the point of the thread is if only one is achieved, which would you prefer.

If the choices were Cup, 4th, or both, it would be bloody pointless.

3rd place (no qualifying round), to watch Saints (possibly) play at some of the great stadiums of Europe like Nou Camp, Bernabeu, Allianz Arena, Amsterdam Arena, Rome Olympic Stadium, San Siro, Juventus Stadium etc. would be an absolute dream come true, and would far exceed an FA Cup win for me

I just thought of a tougher question, if you could only have one would you want Southampton to win the FA Cup or Portsmouth to be relegated to the Conference? You can't pick both.

Saints to win the Cup obviously. Laughing at Pompey is all well and good but you would have to be pretty sad to want them to fail more than Saints to win.

To answer the OP - 4th We go into the FA Cup every year with a small chance of winning but we've never been close to the Champs League. We have a third round replay against Ipswich, it's not as if this is our golden chance at Cup success.

Edited by Lighthouse

FA Cup every single time, it goes in the cabinet and on the honour roll.

4th place is just 3rd looser and if it didn't come with a massive stack of cash and a shot at 'champions' league football nobody would care. You can't put a check and a play off ticket in the trophy cabinet and in 20 years time nobody will care that we once played a champions league game.

Yes my mistake, the UEFA Cup not the Champions League.

But the the wider point remains I think - dreams of Europe don't always prove to enjoyable as you might think they will.

There's a massive difference in prize money for CL and Europa League, a few years back the EL actually cost money to enter due to the travel costs and piddly winnings. The CL money makes the kind of difference in income that opens up spending without FFP concerns, and which could elevate a club to the mythical next level, that, wait a minute, weren't we told we could never reach? I won't name names... ;)

Tbh, I'm not sure whether I'd want an FA Cup win now, or a spell in the CL group stages to maybe get better players to Saints, and make a cup success in the future more likely. Suspect I'd take winning something now... carpe diem and all that.

The question is "what's your preference" but the reality is that it's not a zero-sum game, so "both" is both preferred to "either" and achievable. Seeing as there's no Prem, FA or CL rule saying you can't have both.

I also agree with the "why 4th, we're 3rd" school of thought. This team has already done things many Saints fans under 35 won't have any frame of reference for, there's nothing to suggest they can't get 3rd - and a 9 point gap to suggest we can't get 2nd. ;)

Don't the losers of champions league play offs end up in the Europa league? Sure besiktas played arsenal this year and were playing spurs in Europe last month?

Correct. I live in Istanbul and went to both.

Would love Saints to make Europe and play one of the Turkish teams... preferably Besiktas in the CL.

I agree if you had to take one then prob the FA Cup as you get silverware AND Euro football.

But I would like us to go for both! Still disappointed we missed a great chance at wembly with that shocker at Bramel Lane.

Not being greedy or anything but can't we have both, I mean they're not mutually exclusive events are they?

Quite. I believe that the Saints’ best starting eleven are every bit as good, if not better, than the Arsenal team that won the FA Cup and qualified for the CL last season. We just need to avoid too many injuries and suspensions. However, if I had to choose between winning the FA Cup and finishing fourth – I never thought I’d ever say this – I’d pick the latter (but I reserve the right to change my opinion again next season).

what do we remember more 1976 FA Cup... or finishing 2nd in 83/84?

however...right now.. FA Cup is a huge punt as needs alot of luck to actually win the final... and we've got a really good chance of 3rd or 4th... I'd take 4th place over a FA Cup semi-final...

A dually, there's not much to choose in my memory banks. I loved watching us win the cup - on TV, though, as I couldn't get a ticket. However, I went to close on 40 games that year so the memories are just as strong :)

There's a massive difference in prize money for CL and Europa League, a few years back the EL actually cost money to enter due to the travel costs and piddly winnings. The CL money makes the kind of difference in income that opens up spending without FFP concerns, and which could elevate a club to the mythical next level, that, wait a minute, weren't we told we could never reach? I won't name names... ;)

Tbh, I'm not sure whether I'd want an FA Cup win now, or a spell in the CL group stages to maybe get better players to Saints, and make a cup success in the future more likely. Suspect I'd take winning something now... carpe diem and all that.

If this 'mythical next level' of yours is defined as a club that finishes every season in the top six places then I've always thought (and still do btw) that SFC can never be that club - at least not on a sustainable basis. The question of sustainability being key here.

One year in the Europe won't change SFC from what it is - a middle sized regional club - into a veritable giant of the game and neither would I sacrifice a (entirely theoretical) FA Cup triumph to keep Morgan Schneiderlin on board for another season - much as I have always admired him. What some on here are not facing up to is that the downside of European competition are that most, if not all, of the additional money generated will have to be spent on enlarging the squad and paying the increased wages that go along with European competition. Another huge problem many clubs have struggled with in the past is that the additional fixtures to be played can significant effect league form - someone told me it was 17 games to a Europa League final this season.

It may be that the remarkable number of fans on here who'd put Europe before Cup glory can be explained as a generational thing - perhaps many older fans still considering the FA Cup to be a treasured competition that means something important to them, while the younger 'Sky Generation' on the other hand have been brought up watching the Champions League on TV and want of piece of that action whatever the cost. To me if that cost were to be a Cup Final then that price would be too high.

I'm well aware of course that if we lose tonight this whole argument would become instantly moot ...

I would choose 3rd place over an FA Cup win, as then we are guaranteed at least six games in the Champs League, will set a new standard for teams outside the establishment, would be able to retain our talent, obtain new talent who see we are a Champs League team, improve our sponsorship and commerical side of things massively (which so we've heard in the past is severely lacking compared to others), bring in more money generally, and then hopefully attempt to recreate qualifying for the Champs League each subsequent year, and of course the FA Cup.

I would choose an FA Cup win over 4th place however, as we may lose to Standard Liege and not qualify for the leagues stages. And I really don't fancy a Europa League campaign!

Plus I don't know why the original question is not "3rd or FA Cup win" rather than 4th, seeming as we are currently 3rd and just beat both the teams beneath us - inheritant pessimism ingrained into Saints fans DNA shocker? :)

FA cup.

Of course, playing at the most famous grounds in Europe would be amazing but in 40 years time nobody would remember that. A different level I know, but who remembers our 1-1 draw with Bucharest? We still talk about 1976 and even the 2003 final.

That is my purely view as a fan. Obviously, considering the financial implications, the management probably have a very different view and that is fair enough.

Not being greedy or anything but can't we have both, I mean they're not mutually exclusive events are they?

In a sense they are. We have 3 games this week. Can we really play the same team in all three without seeing a negative impact? It puts big stresses on the players and increases the risk of injury. So which do you prioritise? - the win against Ipswich or the win against Newcastle? Speaking personally I want us to beat Ipswich but I want us to beat Newcastle more. If we did beat Newcastle it would be no guarantee that we will make the CL but equally winning tonight is no guarantee that we will win the FA cup.

I would choose 3rd place over an FA Cup win, as then we are guaranteed at least six games in the Champs League, will set a new standard for teams outside the establishment, would be able to retain our talent, obtain new talent who see we are a Champs League team, improve our sponsorship and commerical side of things massively (which so we've heard in the past is severely lacking compared to others), bring in more money generally, and then hopefully attempt to recreate qualifying for the Champs League each subsequent year, and of course the FA Cup.

I would choose an FA Cup win over 4th place however, as we may lose to Standard Liege and not qualify for the leagues stages. And I really don't fancy a Europa League campaign!

Plus I don't know why the original question is not "3rd or FA Cup win" rather than 4th, seeming as we are currently 3rd and just beat both the teams beneath us - inheritant pessimism ingrained into Saints fans DNA shocker? :)

I'd want to come 3rd so we can get in the Champs League and earn loads more money in the future so we can win the FA cup.:o

We're not allowed to choose both? How about neither? As Saints fans, we should just be grateful to survive another season in the Premier League, right? :rolleyes:

4th for me. Winning the FA Cup would be awesome, but you know the story would be tainted by those pointing out we played lower league opposition, and had to get through a replay against Ipswich ... blah blah blah. Finishing 4th is not something anyone can downplay. We play the same fixture list as all other clubs. And it's been so long since anyone other than the big-money clubs made it in that I think it would go down as one of the greatest achievements in the PL era. At least, that's what Robbie Savage said.

Me personally would take 3rd or 4th place, only because I think it would help keep a number of players at the club and we would be able to attract stronger players, we can then build the squad to cope with champions league as well as get a few European days out, be able to cope with a cup run as we would have strength in depth as tonight is showing, we lose a few players to injury and we got no one to back them up and plus, I think after our performance against Ipswich so far, we haven't looked as strong as we should be so I don't think, without making a few signings we would be able to cope with both the league and the cup. Course I would love a day out at Wembley but I think in the long run, to be able to keep the likes of Morgan, we need to focus more on the league.

I also forgot to say, coming 4th would majorly make our club known worldwide more, people would look at us and take notice especially if you finish above the likes of Man United who are famous right across the world. I lived in America and people were starting to know who the saints were and imagine if you can say 'I support the Saints' and people know who you mean where you are in West Quay or China. I think if we do finish 4th, our pre season tour needs to go to somewhere like America and try and attract crowds and build on the success that football is becoming over there.