4th place or FA Cup?

SNSUN

Last year I started this thread:

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?45072-FA-Cup-or-4th-place#.VLVfuCcgGSM

to gauge people's opinions on what they'd rather have, 4th or winning the cup. I had no idea we'd actually be in with a shot of top 4!

Have your opinions differed now we have a real shot of a top 4 place? Or does the FA Cup mean more to you?

FA Cup. It's a trophy and we'd qualify for Europe. 4th place means a play off doesn't it? If so a good chance we could lose that and be straight out.

I really want us to see us win a trophy other than the JPT and I really want to see us play in Europe again. An FA Cup win gives both.

FA Cup. It's a trophy and we'd qualify for Europe. 4th place means a play off doesn't it? If so a good chance we could lose that and be straight out.

I really want us to see us win a trophy other than the JPT and I really want to see us play in Europe again. An FA Cup win gives both.

Don't the losers of champions league play offs end up in the Europa league? Sure besiktas played arsenal this year and were playing spurs in Europe last month?

Don't the losers of champions league play offs end up in the Europa league? Sure besiktas played arsenal this year and were playing spurs in Europe last month?

I don't know. I pay little attention to European football because we're not in it!

Last year I started this thread:

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?45072-FA-Cup-or-4th-place#.VLVfuCcgGSM

to gauge people's opinions on what they'd rather have, 4th or winning the cup. I had no idea we'd actually be in with a shot of top 4!

Have your opinions differed now we have a real shot of a top 4 place? Or does the FA Cup mean more to you?

How many threads of this can we start before tomorrow night...

FA Cup all day long.

For a club our size we haven't won enough trophies.

The event and celebrations of winning a trophy will outstrip the slightly odd feeling of finishing fourth. Which in reality is initially just the opportunity to lose a play off against Besiktas or Sporting Lisbon.

Would be a great achievement but still feels like an achievement defined by Sky Sports News rather than a tangible one. It's fourth place. Not even a medal placing, except in Judo.

Really hard to choose!

FA cup for day out etc.

4th place is much harder, who outside the usual lot has broken into the top 4 in the past decade?

Also, Europa league will kill us, couldn't bear it.

Imagine a champ league tie again barca or real!!! :)

Once we get a trophy under our belt, and everyone has had their day out, I wonder how many would switch to a CL focus.

i would love to see us win the FA CUp, but the thought that maybe, just maybe we could be playing at Barcelona, Madrid or Munich is pretty compelling.

Top 4 all day long.That would be a far greater achievement than winning the cup,even more so due to the activity in the summer. To break into the top 6 would be unbelievable let alone the top 4.I cant understand why anyone would not want to finish higher in the league than win a cup.Cups are a bonus and at the moment one we don't need.There would be far more focus and attention on us,we'd stand a better chance of keeping hold of our players ( we cant expect to rip the team apart every year like this one and keep getting away with it).The league is our bread and butter and should come before any cup competitions.

4th Place, on the basis that the extra profile and strength it brings to the club would make it more likely for us to win the cup in the future. A cup win would still mean far more personally, but the chance at 4th and what it could mean for Saints is too much to pass up on.

A different take on my opinion last year.

Edited by Colinjb

Come on some of you lot, you know "both" is not allowed. smiley-wagging-his-finger-saying-no-emoticon.gif

Normally I'd say Cup, but finishing 4th this year could be the difference between Morgan, Nathan, Toby and others signing a new contract or leaving. Not to mention the other talent we could attract. Possibly the start of something big. A once in a lifetime opportunity?

The FA Cup and a grand day out at Wembley of course - it seems to me rather odd for a football fan to say anything else.

Indeed! Playing the big teams in the Champions league would be incredible but really it's just an excuse to finish bottom of the group. We won't win it and I want to win something.

Of course the 'both' party on here will recall that that lot down the road won the Cup and got into the CL a few years ago ... if memory serves the Cup proved to be a rather more enjoyable experience for them than (briefly) playing in the CL was.

Just saying ...

CL football? The skates highest league finish was 8th, pal. They'd be proud of your myth-making, though.

Edited by shurlock

Of course the 'both' party on here will recall that that lot down the road won the Cup and got into the CL a few years ago ... if memory serves the Cup proved to be a rather more enjoyable experience for them than (briefly) playing in the CL was.

Just saying ...

Shurlock has already pointed out your obvious clanger but in fairness their Europa campaign was "enjoyable" in that they did get to play a big club or two. Not Fulham/Boro levels but nothing to regret.

CL football? The skates highest league finish was 8th, pal. They'd be proud of your myth-making, though.

Yep, they won the FA Cup and got into Europe 6 years ago and were throwing away winning positions against the likes of AC Milan

Going to break the rules slightly and say 3rd place. It would be a once a generation thing to win the fa cup, equally to get the chance to see saints play in the Nou camp, Bernabeu or San siro would be once in a generation too. Ive seen us win a cup at wembley (Paintpot) but Ive never seen us play in the proper european cup (Bucharest doesnt count).

We could never improve on the 76 story either so would forever be the lesser of the hypothetical two cup wins

4th place for me - it shows a sustained level of performance over an entire season. And would absolutely rock the footballing establishment in the UK!

Whilst a cup win is very romantic, the under dogs do win it. A team/club such as Southampton does not achieve 4th place in the Premier League.

You said:

Just saying ...

Others are merely pointing out that The Skate filth never played in the CL (your words) but were only in the Europa League.

I am going with 4th place. It might be my American perspective, but to me 4th place seems like a more impressive feat than winning the FA Cup! Trophy or not.

Secondly, a 4th place finish also shows quality world class players that what we have accomplished is not a fluke and we are a team worthy to join. No one thought Hull was an upper echelon team because they played at Wimbley last year.

3rd or 4th because there is now actually a fair chance.

FA cup would mean more, don't get me wrong. But we are only in the 3rd round ffs so that is a long way off. We should focus on the greater probability at this point, we are unlikely to get a better shot of UCL for a long time.