Charlie Austin Speculation

Saint-Armstrong

Seems odd that over 10 Premier League clubs would all miss up the opportunity to sign an 18 goal striker who despite knee concerns played 35/38 games last season... even before that he had a reasonable appearance record, so the knee injury stuff doesn't quite add up. Odd.

Seems odd that over 10 Premier League clubs would all miss up the opportunity to sign an 18 goal striker who despite knee concerns played 35/38 games last season... even before that he had a reasonable appearance record, so the knee injury stuff doesn't quite add up. Odd.

Agreed. The que will be somewhat bigger next summer though, I'm sure.

• 2 months later...

I think it's unlikely we'll be signing Charlie Austin.

Wages are too high, rumoured dodgy knee and recreational issues, and doesn't suit our style unless we play him out of position. More likely to see Seager, who is equally as unsuited to our first team formation at the moment for as long as Pelle plays.

I can only see him signing for a desperate relegation-threatened side with a lot of money, that's Bournemouth.

Can't see Norwich, Swansea, West Brom or Watford paying his wages, which leaves Stoke (who probably don't need him), West Ham (depends what the money situation is with the stadium move), or Sunderland - which I suppose is possible too.

Don't think Everton need another striker, and it's unlikely Chelsea will go for him either, but you never know, they took Remy.

I'd sign him. Especially seeing Rodriguez is injured again.

£8m is bugger all. We pay £5m for players who don't even play.

all this.

01) We might as well right off JRod for this season at this point.

02) Pelle isn't getting any younger and will be on the last year of his contract next year.

03) Mane is gone this summer.

For £8m, pull the trigger.

Charlie Austin for £8 million ?...not a bad bet. He was last season's Jamie Vardy.......if ...he keeps fit .... could be a good investment.

We need extra strikers. Imho....Pelle DAGJFU...but most teams have marked his card by now, and he doesn't have the pace to get away from a fast-footed defender.

Problem is now ....he has netted only twice in the last 7 Prem. games .......and we missed him badly on Saturday.

With Jay Rod out again, we have no genuine strikers, although Shane Long does things his way, it's not enough.

So Charlie would get my vote..or is this just another media skam?.....and a field day for the bookies - if he doesn't sign.

I'm quite surprised not one PL club went for him in the summer QPRs £15 million didn't seem a bad price for someone who proved he can score goals in the PL. Wages could be an issue but I'm sure plenty of PL clubs have spunked big wages on worse players.

I think a few moves fell through

The palace chairman was on record saying they pulled out of a bid for him as he was odds-on to sign for a bigger club offering money that palace would not match.....

of course, that might be bollix. But I doubt no one went in for him.

I suspect that £15m for a player out of contract a year later may have had something to do with it

I heard that he was on £70k per week but be it 70, 80 or 100 all of those amounts seems well north of what we pay at the top of our scale.

I think thats unlikely, as he signed for QPR when they were in the Championship, he has only signed one contract with them (in 2013). The media claim QPR wanted to get him tied down to a £50k or £60k p/w contract, but they haven't been able to.

He is on £28,000 p/w or less according to all of these articles...

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/qprs-charlie-austin-set-demand-9981457

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/charlie-austin-set-to-earn-over-50000-a-week-as-qpr-bid-to-secure-strikers-long-term-future-with-new-9852902.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2883438/Charlie-Austin-talks-new-QPR-deal-striker-set-double-wages-60-000-week.html

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/576776/Southampton-10m-bid-Liverpool-Chelsea-Man-United-Charlie-Austin

I heard that he was on £70k per week but be it 70, 80 or 100 all of those amounts seems well north of what we pay at the top of our scale.

well....in general perhaps, but did I read it was rumoured that Gaston is on £65K /week?.....not so much difference especially if he can score goals.

However, if it is closer to the £30 K (suggested above) ..where's the problem?

I think he was quite picky last summer in who he was prepared to join. He didn't want to go to a club that would potentially be in a relegation battle and yet he didn't want to sit on the bench somewhere. That leaves very few clubs that would have been possible for him.

I'd be very surprised if he left in January, he only has to wait 6 months and that 8 million that would go to QPR in January will be going into his bank account in July (or at least a considerable chunk of it)

well....in general perhaps, but did I read it was rumoured that Gaston is on £65K /week?.....not so much difference especially if he can score goals.

However, if it is closer to the £30 K (suggested above) ..where's the problem?

That rumour surprised me no end given that another rumour suggested that we had offered Morgan £60k to stay! Gotta love a good rumour!