Charlie Austin Speculation

Saint-Armstrong

I've a feeling Austin will be heading to Chelsea to keep up their homegrown quota. He'll be a bit part player but fill out his walled and still play a fair bit due to the amount of games they play and that costa and falcao are easily injured

I've a feeling Austin will be heading to Chelsea to keep up their homegrown quota. He'll be a bit part player but fill out his walled and still play a fair bit due to the amount of games they play and that costa and falcao are easily injured

Or they could just put faith in some of ''their own''. Would be a pathetically stupid move for him, and one way to say cheerio to a career.

What makes Mike Ashley think he can get Troy Deeney for any less, the fact they're in the premier league and finances are far healthier means they would probably demand at least 15m for Deeney. Unless of course that story is completely made up.

EXCLUSIVE: Southampton make £10m bid to pip Chelsea and Liverpool to hitman Charlie Austin

SOUTHAMPTON have tabled a £10million bid for Charlie Austin as the hunt for QPR's England hitman hotted up last night.

In the Sunday Express saying we have tabled a £10 million bid

Here's the link : http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/586033/Southampton-10m-Bid-Chelsea-Liverpool-Target-QPR-Striker-Charlie-Austin

Jason Burt ‏@JBurtTelegraph

Was told on Saturday that it is a "no" when I asked if West Ham are going for Charlie Austin. QPR want £15m. Newcastle remain interested.

Jason Burt ‏@JBurtTelegraph

QPR have also yet to receive any offers for Charlie Austin. Price remains £15m.

Staged payments toward £15m does not sound unreasonable - based on top 6 finish and maybe CL qualification.

I doubt QPR would agree to such clauses, as wouldn't see their chances of getting the money as good enough to keep them happy.

£15m isn't a huge amount more than we've been spending on other players anyway, our £10m or more signings...

Bertrand £10m

Forster £10m

Osvaldo £15m

Ramirez £12m

Tadic £11m

Mane £10m

Long £12m

Wanyama £12m

Does anyone think we might be offering Mayuka or Osvaldo or Ramirez or the loan of one of our younger strikers as part of a package deal to QPR?

I don't think the new QPR regime would want Osvaldo but its not inconceivable that if offered £10M plus Mayuka and/or a youth team loan they might say yes for instance in a way in which just paying cash might not.

The same with Atletico with Toby- would they fancy trying out Osvaldo as a back up CF seeing as they just got rid of one or perhaps fancy a free punt on Ramirez / Mayuka as a sweetener for our purchase of Toby? Doubtful but i'm fairly sure we would have considered offering them even if the answer was NO straight away. Mayuka might score for fun in the Championship for example.

Just different ways to skin the cat.

Does anyone think we might be offering Mayuka or Osvaldo or Ramirez or the loan of one of our younger strikers as part of a package deal to QPR?

I'm pretty confident Ramirez and Osvaldo won't be playing in the Championship next season. We've loaned Osvaldo to Juventus, Inter Milan and his boyhood club Boca Juniors, he won't be playing 2nd tier English football.

Osvaldo has a rather high opinion of his own abilities, decided Saints was too small time for him, so God knows what he would think of QPR.

Personally, time to bite the bullet and flog them off or give them away. Should have thought about sacking Osvaldo when he attacked another employee. Certainly we had grounds to, and in many businesses he would have. Not sure if he could then have been sued to recover some of the transfer fee. But whatever, I am sure that the club knows what it is doing financially now that the somewhat profligate Italian banker has moved on.

Osvaldo has a rather high opinion of his own abilities, decided Saints was too small time for him, so God knows what he would think of QPR.

Personally, time to bite the bullet and flog them off or give them away. Should have thought about sacking Osvaldo when he attacked another employee. Certainly we had grounds to, and in many businesses he would have. Not sure if he could then have been sued to recover some of the transfer fee. But whatever, I am sure that the club knows what it is doing financially now that the somewhat profligate Italian banker has moved on.

tbf to him he is a very good player, the problem is... he is a mentalist.

I'm pretty confident Ramirez and Osvaldo won't be playing in the Championship next season. We've loaned Osvaldo to Juventus, Inter Milan and his boyhood club Boca Juniors, he won't be playing 2nd tier English football.

Its about there level in fairness

I don't think he's very good to be honest. Pretty average. Not good enough to have such a high regard for himself anyway.

He's very talented though - if he wasn't as talented he wouldn't have got so many chances in the game despite his issues. Good players always get second, third, fourth etc. chances.

I don't think he's very good to be honest. Pretty average. Not good enough to have such a high regard for himself anyway.

"Average" players don't play for as many top clubs as he has. The season before we signed him he was the joint 3rd top scorer in Serie A, "average players" don't do that.

Even in his brief time in a Saints shirt you could see he had the technique, ball control, movement, creativity etc of a very good player. The problem was his personality and temperament.

Edited by Matthew Le God

No surprise though' date=' there clearly isn't room for him at Saints.[/quote']

If Pelle gets injured for any length of time then we don't have an alternative. Long, JRod and Mane haven't proven they can play down the centre as the lone striker and I'd be extremely surprised if Juanmi, at 5 for 6 is an alternative to Pelle. Graz's loss of form halted our top 4 charge and a similar loss of form or injury would harm us again this year. I'm surprised we aren't seeking another central striker to be honest.

If Pelle gets injured for any length of time then we don't have an alternative. Long, JRod and Mane haven't proven they can play down the centre as the lone striker and I'd be extremely surprised if Juanmi, at 5 for 6 is an alternative to Pelle. Graz's loss of form halted our top 4 charge and a similar loss of form or injury would harm us again this year. I'm surprised we aren't seeking another central striker to be honest.

Maybe Big Sam Gallagher is the next best option for the target man spot, should the need arise to play that way?

Would you think Charlie Austin will join to sit on the bench and start half a dozen league games a year though?

Would you think Charlie Austin will join to sit on the bench and start half a dozen league games a year though?

Pelle will need to be rested for a lot more than half a dozen games this year if we are to challenge in Europe as well as put in a decent league campaign.

Maybe Big Sam Gallagher is the next best option for the target man spot, should the need arise to play that way?

It's reasonable to think so isn't it? After all he was brought on as a sub for Lambert, as the central striker, quite a few times before his injury. It's a bit worrying that he isn't even mentioned as a striking option in that Echo article. He ought to be pushing for a regular place on the bench at least next season if he is fully recovered.

It's reasonable to think so isn't it? After all he was brought on as a sub for Lambert, as the central striker, quite a few times before his injury. It's a bit worrying that he isn't even mentioned as a striking option in that Echo article. He ought to be pushing for a regular place on the bench at least next season if he is fully recovered.

I don't think an Echo journalist overlooking him is anything to be worried about, its how Koeman views him that is important.

I'd have liked Austin, but I'd have to say that CF isn't really a priority position - especially given Jay's return. We've invested a lot of money in his new contract, and I'm sure the club expect a decent return from him (although it's best not to expect him to hit the ground running)

I'd have liked Austin, but I'd have to say that CF isn't really a priority position - especially given Jay's return. We've invested a lot of money in his new contract, and I'm sure the club expect a decent return from him (although it's best not to expect him to hit the ground running)

you are right. as much as we all would want austin. and any other season, it would be ideal, I think you are right

Pelle will need to be rested for a lot more than half a dozen games this year if we are to challenge in Europe as well as put in a decent league campaign.

agreed, but Long was bought to provide back up down the middle to go with his ability to play the wider role, so the manager/club will perhaps increase the number of games he plays

you are right. as much as we all would want austin. and any other season, it would be ideal, I think you are right

Would much rather we focus our attention and money on Toby/or another CB, keeping Morgan (ok, unlikley) or making sure we have a top level replcement lined up.

Agree. I think I just wanted us to sign him him because when we saw Pelle go off the boil, we had no-one to directly replace him.

Long isn't good enough to replace Pelle of the first half of the season.

As for Jrod I don't see why he can't hit the ground running. Either he's fully fit or not. He'll have a full pre season and reportedly admitted that he felt stronger and fitter when he signed his new contract. He's not playing with a crutch FFS.