Charlie Austin Speculation

Saint-Armstrong

Independent says Saints are interested, alongside WH and Newcastle, but need to wait until we sell Schneiderlin before being able to do any deal. Says QPR want a full £15m and Austin wants to be a first choice wherever he moves.

i love it when papers cover themselves by saying something like that.

What makes you think it's a case of a reporter 'covering themselves' rather than...the truth?

So you think we are genuinely after him as a £15m front man, but we will risk losing him to other teams, because we have a cashflow crisis that requires MS to be sold first? Ok then

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/charlie-austin/club-after-summer-transfer-window Newcastle's odds gone from 1-7 on to 2-1 now on par with Chelsea (where I can't see him going to if he wants to play) Perhaps the 'agent talks' didn't go so well. Most likely destination bar them is us or West ham now. West Ham as low as 3-1 at betfred but we are both 6-1 at Ladbrokes.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/charlie-austin/club-after-summer-transfer-window Newcastle's odds gone from 1-7 on to 2-1 now on par with Chelsea (where I can't see him going to if he wants to play) Perhaps the 'agent talks' didn't go so well. Most likely destination bar them is us or West ham now. West Ham as low as 3-1 at betfred but we are both 6-1 at Ladbrokes.

Or... the odds reflect the money placed by random members of the public guessing where he is going based on numerous conflicting press reports and the bookmakers are setting odds so they can make the most money. I doubt anyone in the press or bookmakers currently know where Austin is going to end up.

Independent says Saints are interested, alongside WH and Newcastle, but need to wait until we sell Schneiderlin before being able to do any deal. Says QPR want a full £15m and Austin wants to be a first choice wherever he moves.

Absolute comedy gold, but I doubt very much that he actually said that at all. He is a relatively decent front man who has had one decent season in the Prem - but at the end of the day he was in a team that was relegated. And now, he wants to step back up and be ahead of all those other front men who managed to keep their teams in the league - not a chance.

If Liverpool, Spurs or another top team came in for him now - he'd sign in an instance and sit on their bench whenever they wanted him to. Even if he got a transfer to any other side - there is no way a premiership manager is going to promise him a starting berth just on name alone. Dream on.

Absolute comedy gold, but I doubt very much that he actually said that at all. He is a relatively decent front man who has had one decent season in the Prem - but at the end of the day he was in a team that was relegated. And now, he wants to step back up and be ahead of all those other front men who managed to keep their teams in the league - not a chance.

If Liverpool, Spurs or another top team came in for him now - he'd sign in an instance and sit on their bench whenever they wanted him to. Even if he got a transfer to any other side - there is no way a premiership manager is going to promise him a starting berth just on name alone. Dream on.

Tell Sam Wallace from the Independent then.

He couldn't do much more to keep QpR up. What a weird post

Bit like saying Morgan needs to dream on about walking into a champions league side when he couldn't get us there

He couldn't do much more to keep QpR up. What a weird post

Bit like saying Morgan needs to dream on about walking into a champions league side when he couldn't get us there

No Batman, it's a bit like saying very few (if any) players can negotiate a move to a Prem club and insist that they are 'first choice' or 'given a guaranteed place'. Which, strangely, is what I said in my original post.

Premier league managers select players who they beleive will get them three points, not those with clauses in their contracts. Ask RVP.

I also never said that he could, or should have, kept QPR up, just highlighted the fact that he was part of a relegated team. HTH.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

No Batman, it's a bit like saying very few (if any) players can negotiate a move to a Prem club and insist that they are 'first choice' or 'given a guaranteed place'. Which, strangely, is what I said in my original post.

Premier league managers select players who they beleive will get them three points, not those with clauses in their contracts. Ask RVP.

I also never said that he could, or should have, kept QPR up, just highlighted the fact that he was part of a relegated team. HTH.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

So was niemi and he was one of the best keepers in the country. Crouch got relegated and played for England

Austin got relegated but he was nothing more than brilliant last season. They would have been down by February if it was not for him

His relegation has little to do with his ability

He was definitely right about Jay Rod and Clyne signing for Saints, and generally has an ok record. Not the best, but he definitely has contacts which puts him above Crook.

Less so on foreign signings, but might have a bit more of an idea on Austin.

In what way was he right? Was he the very first to link Saints with both players?

I've said before and i will say again.....i just don't think we are to fussed about Austin. At the right price he might have been a good addition but i trust we can find an alternative for a fraction of the price.

That could be tricky, its hard to find an 18 goal Premier League striker for a fraction of £10m-15m.

Yeah, that Peter Crouch fella went on to have a terrible career in the Prem and for England.

I'm getting the feeling we were never interested. I expect most of our signings will be cheaper foreign players with potential. Although Austin seems like a bargain at 15 million I suspect the club won't see him as being worth much more in the long term so he won't fit the approach of buying cheap and selling on for more later.

I'm getting the feeling we were never interested. I expect most of our signings will be cheaper foreign players with potential. Although Austin seems like a bargain at 15 million I suspect the club won't see him as being worth much more in the long term so he won't fit the approach of buying cheap and selling on for more later.

I question whether the above is really club policy.

For example, do you think we are likely to realise a significant profit when the time comes for Shane Long to leave?

If that was the case we wouldn't buy Pelle would we... He doesn't have much of a resale value.

If that was the case we wouldn't buy Pelle would we... He doesn't have much of a resale value.

pelle was almost certainly a special case at a time when the squad needed rebuilding on an emergency basis. unless we lost half our first team again i'd be surprised to see us sign players without untapped potential.

signing an experienced player in a position where we lack experience would be a reasonable exception, but unless we move pelle on, we've got that up front.

It is actually really hard to predict where he is going to end up. Assuming these teams are interested....

If he wants the best team and chance of winning trophys but far less playing time he could go to Chelsea

If he wants to play in Europe but still not guaranteed game time every week he could go to Spurs, Liverpool,West Ham or Us

If he wants guaranteed football he could go to Everton/Villa (assuming Benteke/Lukaku leave) or Newcastle, all bigger clubs but away from the south

Or he could get guaranteed games at Palace/Bournemouth which are smaller clubs close to home.

Edited by Saint IQ

I reckon he'll sign for Newcastle. They've been making the most noise re:Austin and it seems a decent fit. Still that's a lot of money for Ashley to part with, but they need to make positive moves after the season they've just experienced.

My biggest question is whether McClaren has some sort of clause in his contract that means he can't sign Derby players. I shouldn't think so, what with Derby sacking him, and that might mean the likes of Will Hughes could find a place in the Premier League sooner than he thinks.

I question whether the above is really club policy.

For example, do you think we are likely to realise a significant profit when the time comes for Shane Long to leave?

I think Shane Long is in the category of player we don't expect to leave--like S. Davies and Pelle--at least not until their contract expires. The ones who are likely to move on are the ones that need to be bought cheap and sold for a profit.

It is actually really hard to predict where he is going to end up. Assuming these teams are interested....

If he wants the best team and chance of winning trophys but far less playing time he could go to Chelsea

If he wants to play in Europe but still not guaranteed game time every week he could go to Spurs, Liverpool,West Ham or Us

If he wants guaranteed football he could go to Everton/Villa (assuming Benteke/Lukaku leave) or Newcastle, all bigger clubs but away from the south

Or he could get guaranteed games at Palace/Bournemouth which are smaller clubs close to home.

That is the trouble with accurate and clear headed analysis. It ultimately provides less definitive conclusions than wild speculation.

I'm not sure re-sale value factors into this deal too much - £15m for 15 goals a season (if he can replicate last season's form) for a few years isn't a bad deal at all. Many clubs spend more than that on strikers every 2-3 years who don't get as many goals. Look at the likes of Soldado, Balotelli, Jovetic, Remy...all cost more than Austin and haven't had the same success as he has done so far. Definitely worth it imo, but whether we'll get him is a different matter..

Surprised no-one seems to have commented on this (unless I have missed it), but now that we have signed Juanmi, I doubt we will be looking to sign another striker, especially as Rodriguez is back from injury now. We've got Pelle, Long, Mane, Gallagher, Juanmi, Mayuka and Seager. While I expect Mayuka will not feature (except perhaps in the League Cup as a substitute!) and that Seager could end up going out on loan to gain experience, that still leaves us with five strikers!

If we are going to buy (or loan) any further attacking players then I would hazard a guess that they will be wingers not strikers!

Agree with this. Don't think we were ever in for Austin. We will buy competition for SD, a RB and a keeper. Then any cover for anyone that decides to leave.

Would be very surprised if we don't sign a CB this summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would be very surprised if we don't sign a CB this summer

I wonder how Gardos is progressing? One of the big "improvers" for me last season was Yoshida. If Gardos can make such a big improvement, then we might not be as light there as we thought. But I realise that that is maybe being a tad optimistic, although what I saw of him, I obviously view him as already being better than many others think. And if Yoshida can continue his improvements (not sure it will happen that he makes another large step up like he did) then that's 3 good CB's we have. But of course there are a lot of "ifs" involved in that.