Charlie Austin Speculation

Saint-Armstrong

It does. On average several degrees higher than Newcastle, the English equivalent of Monte Carlo...

I recall going up to Newcastle to see the Saints a few years back, in October. It was noticeably cooler - Newcastle fans were walking around in short-sleeved black-&-white tops and the Saints supporters were to be found in Marks & Spencer buying an extra wooly.

What's up with the Javier Hernández bid? Wouldn't it be a case of either or but not both? Hernandez seems to be a name that has been in the pot for a long time, although whether he would come here from Real, is another question.

I'm quite excited about it tbh but trust you to try and put a downer on it as usual.

No downer. Just think there are probably better players out there (look at the clubs linked with him).

Can see why people want him of course, but I'm just not sure he is what we need.

A few weeks ago Collymore was asked about Austin on Talksport and said he wasnt England quality (probably right and he didnt get on the friendly vs Ireland despite lots of players being unavailable) and that he thought he would go to a midtable PL side. Someone specifically mentioned Saints and he said he thought we would be aiming for better.

We also have Jay back so already have him, Pelle and Long as strikers. Unless we sell one of them I don't see us needing Austin hugely, as we only ever use one striker.

Edited by Saint Charlie

What's up with the Javier Hernández bid? Wouldn't it be a case of either or but not both? Hernandez seems to be a name that has been in the pot for a long time, although whether he would come here from Real, is another question.

Wouldn't it be from United? He was on loan at Real I thought?

Just me that sees the irony in your last sentence? Given you appear to live in Eastleigh. I think I'd take Grey Street, Newcastle over Eastleigh High Street thanks. If you think Newcastle is hideous you clearly are a fool. Southampton has nothing over Newcastle as a city that would appeal to a young football player earning lots of money. Better football team aside.

I actually live in Upham, but Eastleigh is close enough. Don't get me wrong, I don't rate Southampton as one of the greatest cultural cities on earth. It's just that Newcastle is truly horrible. Miserable weather and the trees grow sideways due to the constant onshore gales. Sunderland is slightly nicer, but Newcastle is honestly shît.

And yes, I have been there, many times unfortunately.

Does Southampton have better weather? I honestly do not know but I am curious.

Yes, Newcastle is basically in the arctic circle.

Hence why the horse punchers go shirtless at all other stadiums exposing their flabby white torsos to the world.

I actually live in Upham, but Eastleigh is close enough. Don't get me wrong, I don't rate Southampton as one of the greatest cultural cities on earth. It's just that Newcastle is truly horrible. Miserable weather and the trees grow sideways due to the constant onshore gales. Sunderland is slightly nicer, but Newcastle is honestly shît.

:lol:

Sunderland is a complete dump. Newcastle is miles better.

It's blatantly obvious he doesn't want to come here .... memories of the Gaston and Osvaldo deals lcome to mind.

Move on look elsewhere.

:lol:

Sunderland is a complete dump. Newcastle is miles better.

There must be nice parts of Sunderland but Newcastle is a decent city IMO. Middlesbrough is the real arse-end of that region... think Portsmouth and you're on the right tracks for those that haven't been. I spent a year in Middelsbrough doing a Masters degree and its a real sh!t hole. The 'scals' start collecting for Guy Fawkes night in August.

They do have a Claus Oldenburg though so there is that I suppose.

Because a millionaire footballer on £40k a week would live in the tower blocks of newcastles roughest estates and spend his weekends doing 2 for 1 shot deals in Yates and 'spoons with the other obese, reebok clad geordies.

This is something we can definitely agree on. My sister did her degree in Middlesborough. Horrible place.

Wasn't Middlesbrough used as the template for the opening scene from Blade Runner...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaR5wVL9x2I

Apart from the flying cars, pretty accurate really!

Because a millionaire footballer on £40k a week would live in the tower blocks of newcastles roughest estates and spend his weekends doing 2 for 1 shot deals in Yates and 'spoons with the other obese, reebok clad geordies.

Lol, fair point.

We are not in for Charlie Austin.

Unless something changes dramatically we don't want him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pretty sad IMO if true

Someone from our part of the country, lives in the south already, scored 18 goals for a dire team last year. good lone striker, English, mid 20's and available for £10-15m....no brainer IMO

we will probably get someone with a so-so recent history for about £4m

pretty sad IMO if true

Someone from our part of the country, lives in the south already, scored 18 goals for a dire team last year. good lone striker, English, mid 20's and available for £10-15m....no brainer IMO

we will probably get someone with a so-so recent history for about £4m

Or someone like Sadie Mane. We might go for someone like that.

We are not in for Charlie Austin.

Unless something changes dramatically we don't want him.

If you had gone down to St Mary's on Tuesday

You'd have been in for a big surprise..............................

What do you reckon the chances are of completing the deal?

Absolutely no idea, although if it's true (and this is third hand, one of which is family) to go to the stadium (as opposed to a hotel or even Staplewood) suggests that it must be pretty close.

I am in Newcastle right now. Literally NOW. It has been warm today but me *****, in Soton, said it was proper muggy there and hit and ting.

Some locals told me it is never got enough as to constitute "muggy" oooop here.

Saint lard is about as itk as my left testicle.

I don't claim to be itk on this matter.

But our number one target is a striker currently plying his trade abroad.

This comes from someone else claiming to be itk.

I hope we sign Austin,he would be a great addition.

Absolutely no idea, although if it's true (and this is third hand, one of which is family) to go to the stadium (as opposed to a hotel or even Staplewood) suggests that it must be pretty close.

Austin may have done a tour at St James Park as well for all we know. He would certainly be #1 striker at Newcastle. At Saints he would have much stiffer competition. He will have worked with SM at QPR. On the flip side he will be familiar with Southampton and the surrounding area from his time at Poole. Newcastle may offer him higher wages. Would love to sign him though.

I don't claim to be itk on this matter.

But our number one target is a striker currently plying his trade abroad.

This comes from someone else claiming to be itk.

I hope we sign Austin,he would be a great addition.

You chat sh*t.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

We may want Austin and I would love him here, the problem I think is the perceived size of the club, he may well have come down here and had a look around, but compared to St. James Park we would look no bigger than Hull or Palace. We may be doing well at the moment but the media, pundits and players probably still see us as a lower prem team having a couple of good seasons, rather than a club like Everton or Newcastle etc. We may see ourselves on their level but the important thing is other people probably don't, this is what we have to change before players like Austin will choose us over them.

Saying that, he may end up choosing us in the end anyway so what do I know.

You're right, Newcastle certainly isn't hideous, but Southampton's proximity to London is a definite advantage, players spend plenty of time up there, the fact it can be done in an hour makes it easily accessible.

Proximity to London but also proximity to Heathrow and European flights from Soton is a big draw for foreign players.