Charlie Austin Speculation

Saint-Armstrong

I always thought Austin would sign for Newcastle. He'd be guaranteed to start for them, and could be a real hero for them. A virtual no-brainer.

The club's in turmoil, fans are incredibly unhappy with the owner and the owner will be putting pressure on the team to get results and overachieve without a huge amount of financial support to overhaul a pretty dire squad.

On the other hand, we have an incredibly respected manager, an owner who is willing to support him financially, a good squad filled with young players who will improve and grow with the club and we're playing in Europe next season.

A virtual no-brainer.

The club's in turmoil, fans are incredibly unhappy with the owner and the owner will be putting pressure on the team to get results and overachieve without a huge amount of financial support to overhaul a pretty dire squad.

On the other hand, we have an incredibly respected manager, an owner who is willing to support him financially, a good squad filled with young players who will improve and grow with the club and we're playing in Europe next season.

A virtual no-brainer.

Except what team would he be an automatic starter for and would pay him more money?

Except what team would he be an automatic starter for and would pay him more money?

He could sign for Bournemouth and be an automatic starter, but that wouldn't be a particularly ambitious move for him. Newcastle are going sideways at the moment and we're on the up. I get your point that he would probably be the first name on Newcastle's teamsheet but if he plays well he'd establish himself over Pelle here in no time given Graziano's slightly shaky form last season.

Mike Ashley isn't exactly going to blow us out the water in wages, could throw in the coverted sports direct mug though that could sway things in Newcastles favour

Mike Ashley isn't exactly going to blow us out the water in wages, could throw in the coverted sports direct mug though that could sway things in Newcastles favour

Ah I don't know about that, I've seen figures showing that their wage bill was about 24 million £ higher than ours for the 2013/14 season. That would suggest to me that virtually every player that they have gets more than his equivalent at Saints.

Ah I don't know about that, I've seen figures showing that their wage bill was about 24 million £ higher than ours for the 2013/14 season. That would suggest to me that virtually every player that they have gets more than his equivalent at Saints.

It will also mean they would have less to potentially offer any new player.... assuming they are needing to stick to a 'competitive' budget. One of the themes of Mike Ashley's management has been trimming costs in recent years.

At QPR i'm also certain that Austin will have been on very, very competitive money already. So we would have to pay well regardless of our opposition for his signature.

Chelsea entering the race to sign him now, this may drag on for a while

What on earth would Chelsea want with Charlie Austin ? They've got Costa and Remy are are running after Falcao, exactly why they're doing that I just couldn't say though, so Austin...well forget it. It's agent bolloax to try to screw a couple more quid out of some poor team.

I always thought Austin would sign for Newcastle. He'd be guaranteed to start for them, and could be a real hero for them. A virtual no-brainer.

Just to be clear: is it the signing that is a no-brainer or Austin himself?

Chelsea entering the race to sign him now, this may drag on for a while

Same old story, he will now go to Chelsea on big wages, act as cover for their main striker, get the occasional game, sometimes not even get into the full squad, play for the reserves infront of half empty stadiums, after a while get disenchanted and want a move to get first team football and sacrifice a drop in salary ala Lukaka Remi.

Now reported on BBC gossip:

QPR striker Charlie Austin has been linked with a move to Newcastle but he does not appear to be too impressed. He tweeted "Honestly where do people get this stuff from" before quickly deleting it.

he might be harping on about the Chelsea rumours...or even the southampton rumours??

I was listening to him being interviewd on the radio before the England game the other day sounds like playing for England is a big goal for him. So any move he makes might well be made with that in mind. Saints have proved pretty successful in getting players into international squads recently even though we aren't one of the big clubs. Might have a bearing on any decision Austin makes?

We need at least one new player with a proven record of scoring in the PL.

If Long is worth 12 million then Austin must be worth at least £10 million.

whatever " worth " is. He went to Hull in the Spring for £6 million, and his performances didn't seem to rate a vast increase in value.

I think we needed an extra striker in a hurry, and made Hull an offer they couldn't refuse .....

What on earth would Chelsea want with Charlie Austin ? They've got Costa and Remy are are running after Falcao, exactly why they're doing that I just couldn't say though, so Austin...well forget it. It's agent bolloax to try to screw a couple more quid out of some poor team.

Don't all clubs have to have registered a percentage of home grown players in their squads? And a second plus to rich clubs like Chelski is they are depriving the opposition of quality players even if they rot in their own reserves. We must sort of take it as a compliment that they don't wan't interfering Saints to benefit from playing Charlie Austin.

This actually is why we are going to find it difficult signing good quality British players ( and keeping our current ones). But we know that.

whatever " worth " is. He went to Hull in the Spring for £6 million, and his performances didn't seem to rate a vast increase in value.

I think we needed an extra striker in a hurry, and made Hull an offer they couldn't refuse .....

Bet they wished they had. Would have stayed up with him IMO.

Don't all clubs have to have registered a percentage of home grown players in their squads? And a second plus to rich clubs like Chelski is they are depriving the opposition of quality players even if they rot in their own reserves. We must sort of take it as a compliment that they don't wan't interfering Saints to benefit from playing Charlie Austin.

This actually is why we are going to find it difficult signing good quality British players ( and keeping our current ones). But we know that.

To be fair Chelsea actually have a fair few HG players in their squad, but they don't often get game time. Cahill, Terry etc are starters for them but they also have lots of academy kids like Loftus-Cheek, Isaiah Brown, Lewis Baker, Chalobah and Bamford registered in their first team as well. I think players like Matic, Fabregas and Mikel all count as HG too although I think that will change when the new rules are implemented. Mourinho works with a small core of players but rotates them a lot to avoid injury.

To be fair Chelsea actually have a fair few HG players in their squad, but they don't often get game time. Cahill, Terry etc are starters for them but they also have lots of academy kids like Loftus-Cheek, Isaiah Brown, Lewis Baker, Chalobah and Bamford registered in their first team as well. I think players like Matic, Fabregas and Mikel all count as HG too although I think that will change when the new rules are implemented. Mourinho works with a small core of players but rotates them a lot to avoid injury.

The 25 man Premier League squad is only for players over 21 years old. Lotus-Cheek, Brown and Baker are under 21 on cutoff date, Chalobah and Bamford are also under 21 on cutoff date (plus were out on loan in 2014/15) and aren't included in 25 man squad.

Long had 18 months left on his deal with WBA when Hull signed him in January and 36 months on his contract when we signed him in august of the same year.

Long had 18 months left on his deal with WBA when Hull signed him in January and 36 months on his contract when we signed him in august of the same year.

actually probably a month or two shy of 36 months. i forget which month they expire.

From my blog:

Chelsea has only three home grown players: Cesc Fabregas, Gary Cahill, and John Terry. Only John Terry is club trained. Under the new rules Fabregas is no longer home grown. Since Chelsea is already operating five short of the permitted number of home grown players maybe they would be willing to do that under the new rules , but If they wanted to completely fill their roster they would need ten more home grown players—one of whom must be club trained.

http://redsloscf.blogspot.com/2015/04/greg-dyke-and-his-terrible-horrible-no.html

Under 21s are not registered on the first team so much as they are eligible to play even though they are not registered.

The 25 man Premier League squad is only for players over 21 years old. Lotus-Cheek, Brown and Baker are under 21 on cutoff date, Chalobah and Bamford are also under 21 on cutoff date (plus were out on loan in 2014/15) and aren't included in 25 man squad.

Or this.

Don't let any Swansea fans read that, they won't appreciate being called English, even if... well, you know. :)

By the way, I just read your "striker targets" article, interesting conclusions - the two strikers I hope we're interested in (Austin and Dost), plus a bloke you had on a good FM save who I've never heard of, and bloody Fabio Borini, FFS. Interesting to see your justifications, have you done one of those articles for goalkeepers, we might be in for two of those?

Edited by The9

Don't let any Swansea fans read that, they won't appreciate being called English, even if... well, you know. :)

By the way, I just read your "striker targets" article, interesting conclusions - the two strikers I hope we're interested in (Austin and Dost), plus a bloke you had on a good FM save who I've never heard of, and bloody Fabio Borini, FFS. Interesting to see your justifications, have you done one of those articles for goalkeepers, we might be in for two of those?

In listing those four, I think I expressed myself poorly. What I meant is that the other 10 possibilities are either not good enough for us according to FM or other factors make them very unlikely signings in my opinion. If I were really relying on FM numbers Mattia Destro would be a top choice, but I think he is unlikely and I am not convinced (from limited research admittedly) that he is as good as FM says.

Club trained players for Swansea are home grown English players so I don't think they can complain. (And now my curiosity has taken hold and I have to figure out if they are home grown for Wales purposes too. Update: a literal reading of the UEFA rules says no. However, the EPL's specifically include Welsh trained players. I wonder if this is a real difference and whether it has ever mattered. This link is peripherally relevant. http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-should-consider-pursuing-9304316 )

I was going to do defensive midfielders next.

Edited by Redslo

??? OK, but I wasn't looking at contact dates, merely that Hull were strapped for cash and the £12 million offer for a player they paid £6 million for too much to refuse.

**Overall, I'm not disappointed with Shane Long, although his lack of regular starts, and a string of sub. apps PLUS his injury haven't helped for consistancy.

When he has played well, he's been quite outstanding.

I noted a few people suggested that his "Goal of the Season" v.Villa was somewhat of a "fluke", but if it was ..then why don't more people try that sort of shot?

SL said (in interview) that he knew Given came off his line a lot, and decided to have a punt, if it was a fluke, then it came off and was worth the award.

Independent says Saints are interested, alongside WH and Newcastle, but need to wait until we sell Schneiderlin before being able to do any deal. Says QPR want a full £15m and Austin wants to be a first choice wherever he moves.

Newcastle then :)

Independent says Saints are interested, alongside WH and Newcastle, but need to wait until we sell Schneiderlin before being able to do any deal. Says QPR want a full £15m and Austin wants to be a first choice wherever he moves.

Why would we need to sell Morgan before we could buy Austin.

Unless we have 0 money for transfers outside of selling players (for two seasons running) then WTF!!