Charlie Austin Speculation

Saint-Armstrong

People moaned incessantly about us not buying a striker in January, now we're looking to buy the league's 4th top scorer from last season and people aren't sure... :mcinnes:

---------------FORSTER----------------

CLYNE?----FONTE----NEW CB----B'RAND

----------BIG VIC----JWP---------------

JAYROD---------------------------MANE

------------PELLE----AUSTIN-----------

Obviously they won't all play week in, week out but those attacking options can be played together with the likes of Long, Tadic etc on the bench.

I thought JayRod played on the left, at least that's where I've seen him play.

And can't Mane play on the right (as well as left and centre?)

If wed of signed him in January we'd of been a hell of a lot closer to the champions league

Because QPR were really going to sell him to us in Jan thus ensuring their relegation instead of keeping him & giving themselves a chance of staying up.

Think you'd best leave the complex thinking to others.

Because QPR were really going to sell him to us in Jan thus ensuring their relegation instead of keeping him & giving themselves a chance of staying up.

People expect too much from the January window. We get it every year ''We need to break the bank and get player xx to push us over the line''. But that never happens, and even if a club does sign a player, they rarely have the impact expected (Caudrado at Chelsea being an example).

The January window is kind of like a car boot sale, the clubs just put all their crap out on the front stool and hope someone is foolish enough to spend $$$$ on them in desperation.

People expect too much from the January window. We get it every year ''We need to break the bank and get player xx to push us over the line''. But that never happens, and even if a club does sign a player, they rarely have the impact expected (Caudrado at Chelsea being an example).

The January window is kind of like a car boot sale, the clubs just put all their crap out on the front stool and hope someone is foolish enough to spend $$$$ on them in desperation.

I'm glad someone else understands.

You think if there was a French/Spanish/German/Italian etc 25 year old who was the 4th top scorer in the Premier League with 18 goals in 35 games for a relegated side... he would be worth £6m?

I do mate yes, that why I said it.

I do mate yes, that why I said it.

Dybala scored 13 league goals and cost £25m in the Italian league.

Bony only had 10 goals and he cost £32m

Michu, during his hot streak, would have probably fetched £20m in the market.

Dybala scored 13 league goals and cost £25m in the Italian league.

Bony only had 10 goals and he cost £32m

Michu, during his hot streak, would have probably fetched £20m in the market.

Dybala is what, 21? And has already had 3 seasons in Serie A.

Bony was the top scorer in 2014.

Michu... Well he didn't sell for £20m though did he, so not sure I get that one?

I'm not questioning his ability. He's a good player. But he's only had one season in the PL. for a club of our size to pay £15m for a player is a HUGE gamble, just look at what that sort of money has got us in the last couple of seasons. Osvaldo and Ramirez.

I'm not questioning his ability. He's a good player. But he's only had one season in the PL. for a club of our size to pay £15m for a player is a HUGE gamble, just look at what that sort of money has got us in the last couple of seasons. Osvaldo and Ramirez.

Fair point, and every transfer is a gamble to some extent, but CA is much less of a gamble that Ramirez or Osvaldo as he's got experience in the Prem. He's also worked his way up through the leagues and proved he can score at every level. I'm pretty sure that if it goes through the fee will end up being undisclosed anyway so we'll just have to trust that the club know what they are doing with their budgets.

Michu... Well he didn't sell for £20m though did he, so not sure I get that one?

Every transfer is a gamble really, if the club feel they can outlay £15m on him, then that's their call. It won't all be up front though, will probably be heavily performance based if it does happen. I just feel that buying Austin is like buying guaranteed goals, more so than other gambles we've signed in the last few years. If the club feel he's worth £15m and it's not going to put us in the ****, then fair enough.

---------------FORSTER----------------

CLYNE?----FONTE----NEW CB----B'RAND

----------BIG VIC----JWP---------------

JAYROD---------------------------MANE

------------PELLE----AUSTIN-----------

Obviously they won't all play week in, week out but those attacking options can be played together with the likes of Long, Tadic etc on the bench.

Reference all 4 playing, as previously posted, it's certainly an option, but I just can't see it working for the most part. Not least because it'll expose our new defensive unit (potentially 3 changes to back 5, 4 changes to back 7), which is not something I'd risk trading off given that it was the basis for our high finish this season. Furthermore, I wouldn't sacrifice our best attacking player (Mane) in his best position for the sake of shoehorning in another attacker.

Edited by Donatello

Reference all 4 playing, as previously posted, it's certainly an option, but I just can't see it working for the most part. Not least because it'll expose our new defensive unit (potentially 3 changes to back 5, 4 changes to back 7), which is not something I'd risk trading off given that it was the basis for our high finish this season. Furthermore, I wouldn't sacrifice our best attacking player (Mane) in his best position for the sake of shoehorning in another attacker.

Plus its hard to see Pelle and Austin as a pair.

And we won't play 4-4-2 or 4-2-4 often anyway so a bit of a redundant idea.

£15 million is a fair price for Austin and if we don't pay it somebody else will. If you want to snoop around the 6 mill market, unless you are very lucky, you will be going backwards, not forwards.

£15m IMO steep for a player with one PL season and one year on his contract who is going to be angling to leave a relegated team.

Bearing in mind Berahino is available for just £5m more and is better and younger with more sell on value. But no chance we would spend that on one player.

No complaints on Austin's goal record, but does that come at a slight cost in terms of his ability to be part of a forward line and link well with other players? That side of his game is a lot weaker.

He'd never played in the premiership before this season but has demonstrated he can score goals and that he is of premiership quality. What price do you expect to pay! Its goals we needed at the end of the season. We already have good ball players.

Plus its hard to see Pelle and Austin as a pair.

And we won't play 4-4-2 or 4-2-4 often anyway so a bit of a redundant idea.

Indeed, having Pelle and Austin competing for that one Striking spot though, pushing each other in in a forward line that could also include Long, Rodriguez, Tadic or Mane....

I've just had a moment, excuse me.

Scored 18 goals in his first season in the premier league so he prob is worth 15m but if he is set on going to us we could get him for less I think bearing in mind QPR's dreadful financial situation.

OK, I would negotiate quickly, but let's not have a standoff over £5M, because one thing is for sure, and that is that SOMEONE WILL pay £15M for him. If it's not us, another club will and we could lose out.

Get the deal done.

Sorry I must of missed the bit where I said we should of gone all out to sign him ? Just a comment on how we would have faired!

Leave the complex sarcasm to others its not becoming of you !

Bad ones too - Ballotelli, Osvaldo et al

He doesn't come across as a balotelli or osvaldo type of character. Seems pretty well grounded. If we could manage to get him it be an absolutely cracking signing, and £15m wouldn't be any more than the going rate for prem strikers these days. I'd love to see him here.

where does J.Rod fit in?

Rodriguez tended to play on the left, with Ricky down the middle. So Rodriguez will effectively replace Elia. He along with Mane, Tadic and Long will fight it out for the two wide spots. Maybe Pelle and Austin fight it out for the central role? Having said that I think Long IS the backup for Pelle, but Ronny was happy to play Pelle every week.

You have to wonder if we are actually in for another Striker? If we add another, then maybe someone has to go. You can't hoard players if you want youngsters to come through. That said I don't see the current batch of attacking youngster being anywhere near good enough to make the step up yet.

If he scored 18 in that ****e QPR team hes a good player. Scores a variety of goals as well. Think of the half turn volley against us..... A good addition. Think of our Europa travels, we need some much more depth in the squad.

he looked bloody good when he tore us apart playing for Swindon at SMS. The timing was all wrong for us to ever try and get him, but on that display alone I'd be interested. He has a strikers arrogance and ability to go with it. Very similar player to Pelle. Maybe that's a good thing. Stronger squad, but someone's nose would be put out of joint.

He doesn't come across as a balotelli or osvaldo type of character. Seems pretty well grounded. If we could manage to get him it be an absolutely cracking signing, and £15m wouldn't be any more than the going rate for prem strikers these days. I'd love to see him here.

Wasn't meaning to cast aspersions over his character or skills, just saying that £15m is what shîte like Osvaldo and Balotelli cost so why not spend it on a Prem proven player?

Hipster side note: I saw him play for my village team - Kintbury Rangers, when he was still a brickie...

Sorry I must of missed the bit where I said we should of gone all out to sign him ? Just a comment on how we would have faired!

Leave the complex sarcasm to others its not becoming of you !

This bit you mean?

If wed of signed him in January we'd of been a hell of a lot closer to the champions league

Now I appreciate that English clearly isn't your first language but that to me suggests that you think we should have signed him in January.

looking at it from another viewpoint.....with the "second-best" Prem. defence in terms of goals conceded, and a plus 20 odd GD last season, you have to ask yourself....

.......what might we have achieved.... had there been reliable cover for Pellé, who sadly was out of form just at the time when we needed another goalscorer the most ?

Charlie Austin's career goal stats. in his various clubs often exceeded 0.50 (which is truly excellent as the average Prem. striker has around 0.35).

Considering that he is younger than Rickie Lambert was when he first arrived, I'd say that even a new club transfer fee would be worth the risk, as if we can maintain a tight defence, then the extra goal power can only improve our League position.....not to mention any potential Euro. progress.

If he can continue in the same form, I'd say it was a no-brainer, Les.

So at £6m he's a "cracking" signing, and at £15m he's what exactly? A lump?

Come on mate you know what I mean, no need to keep spoiling for an argument. At no point have I said he would be a bad signing. Only that £15m is a lot of money IMO.

If you think he's worth £15m that's fine, it's all about opinions at the end of the day.

he looked bloody good when he tore us apart playing for Swindon at SMS. The timing was all wrong for us to ever try and get him, but on that display alone I'd be interested. He has a strikers arrogance and ability to go with it. Very similar player to Pelle.

Maybe that's a good thing. Stronger squad, but someone's nose would be put out of joint.

True, but it'd be nice to have some real competition for places, and any good professional would understand that .....few players have a guaranteed start place.

If Shane Long can regularly find the sort of form we saw in the Villa game, and JayRod comes back with his goal-form, then our strike force would be truly formidable.

Come on mate you know what I mean, no need to keep spoiling for an argument. At no point have I said he would be a bad signing. Only that £15m is a lot of money IMO.

If you think he's worth £15m that's fine, it's all about opinions at the end of the day.

I'm not, *at all*, just found it to be slightly incongruous ;) As you say, opinions, I.e. whatever :thumbup:

P.S Ultimately, I was trying to assess whether you thought a £15m fee would make him a poor value signing/whether you'd pass at that price. Curiosity and all that.

Edited by Donatello

Aye. Its been a while since we had some good news at this club.... ;)

Yes, it really turns things around to know that a player who might be good might sign for us. With that kind of news already coming out we are guaranteed a better summer than last year.

Especially given the bad news I discovered today. I went to the official Premier League web site and discovered that we had dropped all the way from 7th to 14th in the current table.

If Shane Long can regularly find the sort of form we saw in the Villa game, and JayRod comes back with his goal-form, then our strike force would be truly formidable.

I can't see Shane Long ever being part of formidable strike force.

Lol can't believe some are questioning his signing. Like someone said above, it is hoals he brings, and it is goals we need. Lots of articulate ball players in squad already. If we had someone like him in January, we would have made champions league...easily.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Lol can't believe some are questioning his signing. Like someone said above, it is hoals he brings, and it is goals we need. Lots of articulate ball players in squad already. If we had someone like him in January, we would have made champions league...easily.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

every hoal's a goal.