Cuco Martina - Signs Two Year Deal (Official)

mcbendy

Like I said, good players performing well. I'm not sure what heights you're referring to with some of those players.

Cork and Bertrand both came from Chelsea's youth team and ended up being decent, upper midtable players. Nothing special there.

We spent £10m on Mane as he was already showing some decent ability at Salzburg.

Lambert was a decent Championship player at a League 1 club when we signed him. Yes he improved but only from being a decent Championship striker into a midtable Premier League striker.

Clyne has developed but was already being touted as a big star when we signed him from Palace.

JRod was in the Championship team of the season so again, he's hardly made a giant leap.

Fonte has also improved but was always a very good CB in the Championship with Palace.

That pretty much leaves Morgan and Lallana, who were both talented teenagers when they came to the club. Both have gone on to be decent Premier League players but Martina isn't a 17 year old in our academy, so you can't really say that's relevant to him.

... Don't really understand this post. I don't know what you're expecting of Martina - no one's stupid enough to think he's going to go from 'championship', as some have said, to first choice for a top 6 club.

That's not the kind of progression we're thinking of. Koeman's obviously good but he isn't Ghandi, and preseason isn't a magic holiday to turn turds into golddust.

All we're saying is if Martina is in the right environment and with a bit of luck he could turn out to be a solid, adaptable (plays across the back 4 and in cdm) bench warmer for a long and tiresome European/cup campaign. And that'll be just fine for me.

We have just signed Cedric Soares from Sporting and he's our current first choice RB, as we just sold Clyne to Liverpool. The left back from last season has just had knee surgery and will be out for 6 weeks, and the U21 left back who covers him is at best currently a borderline starter. The U21 right back is injured.

So our full back situation for the main and reserve squad is 1 in, 1 out, 2 injured and 1 full back who we decided shouldn't start much last season, plus Martina.

There's an U18 RB and LB too, but they've not played a match for the first team between them (and I'm fairly sure the U18 LB is actually the U16 LB due to the rapid promotion our left backs have had in the past few years).

Ok, thanks for the update. Hopefully Martina will deliver when called upon...

His name was Cuco

Cuco Martina

He's got a name like a drag queen-a

He came from Twente

Where he played plenty

Football and passion were always in fashion for the Cuuuuu-coo

Third choice right back

(Clap clap clap clap clap)

It is concerning that FC Twente fans refer to our new signing as Coco the Clown and 'het venster licker' when translated to English it means he is a window licker.

That's sad to hear but you should know that Twente fans are almost Germans so don't be bothered by them...

His name was Cuco

Cuco Martina

He's got a name like a drag queen-a

He came from Twente

Where he played plenty

Football and passion were always in fashion for the Cuuuuu-coo

Third choice right back

(Clap clap clap clap clap)

struggling to fit this into a sloop john b tone?

Just spoke to a couple of the Mrs' family in Holland. There seems to be a real air of confusion as to how Martina has achieved a move to Saints. Nobody seems to have a decent word to say about him. He really is considered as a bit of a joke. I was also told that the Dutch papers are saying that RK wants 'Ron Beton' (Concrete Ron Vlaar). I guess that's just the press speculating as Koeman expressed an interest last year.

Just spoke to a couple of the Mrs' family in Holland. There seems to be a real air of confusion as to how Martina has achieved a move to Saints. Nobody seems to have a decent word to say about him. He really is considered as a bit of a joke. I was also told that the Dutch papers are saying that RK wants 'Ron Beton' (Concrete Ron Vlaar). I guess that's just the press speculating as Koeman expressed an interest last year.

Hi. I'm a Twente fan from Enschede in The Netherlands. I was very surprised to hear Martina was bought by your club. Martina played the majority of the time RB last season. At first he played a couple of good matches as RB, went upfront and contributed to the attack. But it seemed he losed confidence during the season and became to play worse game by game. Martina also played a couple of games as centre back and i must say i thought he made a very decent centre back. He has pace, is strong. As long as he does his defensive tasks and it's not expected to deliver a big contribution to the attack or build up i think he could grow. Not sure if he ever will be starting eleven material for the saints tough... time will tell. Have to say that last season almost everyone was crap at Twente, it wasn't a solid team and it seemed like no one realy wanted the ball. Keeper wasn't solid, centerbacks were not a good duo, both static and slow, midfielders played hide and seek...We have an inexperienced manager who makes illogical decisions all the time. Sadly there is no money to sack him so we are stuck with him. So i think everyone played far beyond their potential.

Not sure if he ever will be starting eleven material for the saints though... time will tell.

Thanks for that analysis. I don't think he's been bought as a first teamer. We're quite used to limited, non-ball playing defenders in the premiership; as long as he does the basics OK!

That's sad to hear but you should know that Twente fans are almost Germans so don't be bothered by them...

Don't Listen to this guy, as he is a Feyenoord fan so he is a cockroach, or ''havenslaaf'' (working slave of the port of Rotterdam) if you will :mcinnes:

I pitty you as a supporter of a club which always sees themselfs as the biggest club of the Netherlands but never delivers :lol: Condescending c*nts.

Don't Listen to this guy, as he is a Feyenoord fan so he is a cockroach, or ''havenslaaf'' (working slave of the port of Rotterdam) if you will :mcinnes:

I pitty you as a supporter of a club which always sees themselfs as the biggest club of the Netherlands but never delivers :lol: Condescending c*nts.

:lol:

Is thus the same way Lyon thought us mad paying £8.5m for Lolvren?

We appreciate the comments of both van Hanegem and Twente: always good to see a good footballing rivalry. :-)

You're right.. i have to admit football is a lot more exciting and fun with (healthy) rivalry. Except rivalry with supporters from Feyenoord is not ''healthy''. Man that club harvests a lot of idiots. Not saying van Hanegem is an idiot, but the odds are strongly against him. Have to say i enjoyed the semi-cup final in 2010 at Rotterdam, Feyenoord - Twente, when we came with roughly 1000 men and were waited for by an equal number of cockroaches ;) and got sworn at, thrown at with fireworks, with only a fence between us (no one got hurt). That was an impressive arrival and can't wait for a similar one ;)

On: Hope Martina does well for you Saints. Off: How do you feel about Tadic? Class player ain't he? Hope he performs more consistent next season...

Cockroaches do survive everything, the question is will you? ;)

Cockroaches do survive everything, the question is will you? ;)

Haha you got me there. I believe we will....sold a lot of players, sacked a lot of employees(sadly)... the reorganization goes well. If we manage to keep Ziyech, Guttierez, tapia and Corona and have a bit of luck with getting a cheap, but good striker (for eredivisie standards) we should end top 5 i reckon... but the manager is the main problem... so we will see.

I'm afraid Alfred won't deliver what the supporters want... just decent football which is enjoyable to watch, shouldn't be that hard with the players I mentioned before.

I wonder who you will get when Clasie is gone and how Kuyt will perform... i'm afraid he will score lots ;)

I don't think I'm helping much when mentioning that I had the pleasure of seeing Cuco in Salzburg from behind the goal we were defending and he looked completely lost - Stephens didn't help much, they were slow to react between them, Mané didn't get back enough and he was left exposed time after time. Even so, his reactions to positional mistakes were slow and I can't remember him doing anything much with the ball either. Fonte was doing the running and organising for 4 of them in that match.

Hopefully it's a blip and he'll get what's expected of him sorted soon, and Targett's return may at least give him some examples, but it was not a promising start.

I don't think I'm helping much when mentioning that I had the pleasure of seeing Cuco in Salzburg from behind the goal we were defending and he looked completely lost - Stephens didn't help much, they were slow to react between them, Mané didn't get back enough and he was left exposed time after time. Even so, his reactions to positional mistakes were slow and I can't remember him doing anything much with the ball either. Fonte was doing the running and organising for 4 of them in that match.

Hopefully it's a blip and he'll get what's expected of him sorted soon, and Targett's return may at least give him some examples, but it was not a promising start.

Well I guess it was his first game time with his new team mates.

TBH not expecting to much from Cuco clearly a cheap squad filler/utility type player

Haha you got me there. I believe we will....sold a lot of players, sacked a lot of employees(sadly)... the reorganization goes well. If we manage to keep Ziyech, Guttierez, tapia and Corona and have a bit of luck with getting a cheap, but good striker (for eredivisie standards) we should end top 5 i reckon... but the manager is the main problem... so we will see.

I'm afraid Alfred won't deliver what the supporters want... just decent football which is enjoyable to watch, shouldn't be that hard with the players I mentioned before.

I wonder who you will get when Clasie is gone and how Kuyt will perform... i'm afraid he will score lots ;)

If I heard right Twente will be ok when the mortgage for the stadium is payed. That would mean you will have to sit back and wait for a couple of years. You would be very lucky to keep Ziyech and the other players you mentioned above. I would have loved to see Ziyech playing for us, he could have been "the missing link" for Feyenoord. Would have traded Clasie for him as we have Vejinovic and El Ahmadi as backup, I rate Vejinovic potentially even higher than Clasie... I don't understand why Psv is after Pröpper as replacement for Wijnaldum, Ziyech is definetely the better one. I don't know what to expect from Kuyt at 35, I only hope that his arrival doesn't mean that Basacikoglu won't get his chance. We'll see in less than a month...

• 1 month later...
it is sad that we have signed him. Said it at the time and it is clear

our 'famed' academy must be horrendous if we have no player at least his level

Our accamedy is horrendous if we can't just click our fingers and summon a premier League quality RB at a moments notice?

You post some utter nonsense. We had Chambers, we sold him for £16m, nothing wrong with that. The only crime is reinvesting the money poorly. Martina... The jury is out.