Which other club (or clubs) do you follow?

Professor

Dundee.

When I was 12-13 and first getting into football, I got a management game, picked a team at random, happened to get Dundee and stayed with them for ages and through that they became my second team. I always look out for their result every week and if they're playing on a different time to Saints, I'll do my best to watch them.

Plymouth Argyle - had a season ticket there during uni.

Toronto FC - my new 'home' team. I went along to their game at the weekend and it is the strangest atmosphere. It's like they are everyone's second team, people there in Juve shirts, Barca shirts, Utd shirts. Very unusual.

I also look out for Uganda's results as I lived there for three years in the late 90s. Guttingly, they always find a way to lose out on qualifying for the African Cup of Nations in the last match. Leyton Orient played a pre-season match in Kampala one year - one supporter travelled!

yeah same for me. lived there for 6 months. managed to see them play against the Gambia in a friendly which ended up 1 all. Apart from that, Cambridge United because of university.

It's Margate for me, mentioned it on similar threads before. Born and raised in Kent, moved to Winchester in 1995 and my obsession with Saints began then. Quite enjoyed reading the affection for Maidstone and Dulwich Hamlet previously, it was one hell of a season in the Ryman prem last year, looking forward to Margate getting back to conference national level..... Albeit with some funding behind them now! Not that the season has begun very well.

Also follow Winchester City, so easy to get to from Kings Worthy, great walk along the river.

Do you ever go to the Worthies Sports and Social club?

Saints and Saints only nowadays, though pleased to see my local club Shrewsbury making progress.

When I originally moved away from Southampton I went to many Hereford United games during their rise from non-league to old Div 2. Terry Paine played for them and orchestrated everything whilst rarely actually moving!

Very sad to see them now defunct. Hope the phoenix club (Hereford FC) succeed

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I really don't get the "I also watch...., I used to support...., I always look out for..... mentality. How does that work? One club, one team surely. I really don't care about any other team. I don't hate any other team, I'm just completely non plus. It's like having two wives! Bloody hell, one's bad enough!

yeah same for me. lived there for 6 months. managed to see them play against the Gambia in a friendly which ended up 1 all. Apart from that, Cambridge United because of university.

wow. didn't realise uganda would have so much traction onsaintsweb. wasn't that this year? were you there in december?

I really don't get the "I also watch...., I used to support...., I always look out for..... mentality. How does that work? One club, one team surely. I really don't care about any other team. I don't hate any other team, I'm just completely non plus. It's like having two wives! Bloody hell, one's bad enough!

It works in that I was born in Romsey, had a season ticket at Saints and support them. They are my team. I went to uni in Plymouth and got a season ticket for two seasons, why wouldn't I? I wanted to watch football on Saturdays, now I keep an eye out for them and am keen for them to do well, especially as they are up against Portsmouth. I moved to Canada and now Toronto are my closest team. I go and watch them play and get behind them, why not?

It works in that I was born in Romsey, had a season ticket at Saints and support them. They are my team. I went to uni in Plymouth and got a season ticket for two seasons, why wouldn't I? I wanted to watch football on Saturdays, now I keep an eye out for them and am keen for them to do well, especially as they are up against Portsmouth. I moved to Canada and now Toronto are my closest team. I go and watch them play and get behind them, why not?

Because you're a Saints fan?

My home town club Weymouth and where I still live. Sadly slipped from Conference National to Southern League Premier. Watch them whenever Saints are away but season ticket holder at Saints.

Remember the days when Yeovil and Weymouth would meet regularly in the Southern League and then the Alliance. Might happen again the way Yeovil have been going!

Juventus as that's where my family are from/live so i kind of have to like them (even though if they play saints id want saints to win).

Other than that the only other team i look out for is Miami Heat/Dolphins as that's where my missus comes from so see a few games there now and then. Might watch the new Miami FC when they start next year but they will be **** too.

There's no exclusivity attached to it. It's not like being English and also supporting Brazil.

If it came to a head to head, and it has, I always support Saints but there's nothing that stops you having a keen eye elsewhere for personal reasons.

So we should never watch another team? Perhaps you and Turkish could teach the poor, ignorant masses on here what is wrong with watching another team, if you can't get to Saints game and the cardinal sin of looking at the result of another team? Judging by the numbers posting on this thread, you guys are in a tiny minority but that's ok. Everyone has their own opinion.

Most people here like football and go to watch it when they cant be at Saints matches. A few spend that time in the homo erotic experience of being in an all male club telling each other how great they are whilst wearing the same overpriced tat labels. Each to his own

Edited by buctootim

Support is a funny thing really . I was born in Southampton , but would never describe myself as a Southampton , or even hants man . It was fate that my dad had a job in Southampton and I was born there . We moved to Somerset and then Dorset before I was 10 , but I had the bug by then . I have no connections to the city and no family there . I consider myself a Poole man now, love the town and have brought 4 children up here . But , I get that feeling about saints , the gut wrenching sinking feeling when we lose , the ecstatic highs when we win . The worry when we're 3 up with 2 minutes to play , the optomistic delusion when we're away at Arsenal or City . If somebody says Southampton is a dump , I'll just shrug it off or even agree , somebody says saints or their support is shiete , I'll fire up . Why am I waffling on ? Apart from the 5 pints of tanglefoot , it's because of the difference between support and following . If somebody says Poole is a dump or a horrible place , I'll take it personally , but I really couldn't give a flying f about the football club . I can not get into anyone else but saints . The only feeling like it is when I watch my kids . I lived in the states and watched ft lauderdale strikers regularly , but it was just not the same . I don't want to come over all " I'm a better fan than you" , but do others have that same feeling whilst watching their " other " clubs as they do watching saints

Dundalk FC fan myself. Irelands top 2 clubs over the past couple of seasons. Look forward to (hopefully) meeting in the cup final...

Good stuff. Looking forward to cup final, assuming we get past Bray. We are due a result against your lot...

wow. didn't realise uganda would have so much traction onsaintsweb. wasn't that this year? were you there in december?

yeah i was there january to august this year. lived in a place called kisoro about 9.5 hours on a coach to kampala. for some reason, they played westlife-esque bands on the PA for the entire journey. i think entry was 20,000 shillings or about £4 :D

Agree Zamboni. I am 110% Saints fan first and foremost - Saints come first. I watched them since I was eight - Terry Paine, Micky Channon era and the Dell. I have lived outside the UK since 1989...and incase anybody hadn't noticed, it's difficult and a tad expensive to get to games on a weekend. I love football and I don't want to never go to a game again, so I follow the Whitecaps here in Vancouver...great little team...get 20,000+ watching them...not anywhere near Premier league standard but getting better and need encouragement. Here, Vancouver is an immigrant city...Italians, Brits, Iranians, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, Croatians, Serbians you name it...most support their home teams...Pirlo was here with NYC FC last week and all the Juve shirts were out for example...and I wear my Saints jacket to most games over a Whitecaps shirt. You can never take the Saints out of your heart (even if you want to sometimes!). In my trips back to the UK I've encountered some incredibly parochial thinking...can't have a phone account without a UK bank account...can't open a bank account without a UK home address...WTF! Let's be open-minded...there is a world outside the UK and increasingly our beloved club's success will be determined by the brand franchise it has in the bigger community of global football fans (where do you think Manure, Liverpool and Arsenal are getting all their cash from...even bloomin' Leicester are Thailand now). There is no compromise in my mind - always Saints in my heart - just practicality.

do others have that same feeling whilst watching their " other " clubs as they do watching saints

No.

I got very emotional when Newport won the Conference Promotion Playoff at Wembley just like I did when Saints won the JPT, played in the FA Cup Final (local at the time!) and both promotions, though my actual match attendance for both teams has fluctuated across the past 40 years between being a ST holder and not going at all, depending on where I was living at the time, if I was still playing matches on Saturdays, and whether the other team was playing.

If they played each other I honestly wouldn't know what to do with myself. On the bright side, I've seen my home town team beat the Skates at Fratton two years on the trot, and the team where I've been living for the past 10 years stuff Cardiff in Cardiff fairly recently, so that works both ways. :)

It's a completely different thing that "looking out for Granada CF's scores" because I went to see them once and they're near my aunt's house, or "liking RC Lens because the place is tiny compared to the stadium", they could get relegated and I wouldn't give it a second thought.

I look out for the results of teams that work colleagues support for the Monday morning post mortem. At present I am looking out for Arsenal, Celtic, Partick Thistle and QPR results. The Partick supporter is particularly glum at present.

I look out for the results of teams that work colleagues support for the Monday morning post mortem. At present I am looking out for Arsenal, Celtic, Partick Thistle and QPR results. The Partick supporter is particularly glum at present.

Similarly I look out for teams my best friends support which are Shrewsbury, Bristol Rovers and Tranmere. I've been in the away end at Fratton to see all of them win, 2 of them with last minute goals.

I can't be bothered talking football at work as they're all "new" fans who follow (note the use of the word follow rather than support) Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea. I just can't be bothered speaking to them as they're full of sh*t.

The one guy who really knows his football is annoyingly, a Spurs fan.

Nice to see someone mention my team - The Jags !

They were my first love as I come from there but I married into Southampton and have been a fan since 1971 and never really looked back !!

Also have had links with Brentford and Fulham but that doesn't extend much further than looking out for their results !

yeah i was there january to august this year. lived in a place called kisoro about 9.5 hours on a coach to kampala. for some reason, they played westlife-esque bands on the PA for the entire journey. i think entry was 20,000 shillings or about £4 :D

incredible. lived in bugolobi district in kampala from aug-dec last year! closest I came to kisoro was isingiro/kamwenge/nakivale, but never that far. small world eh

i used to spend a lot of time there.....played cricket for the Worthies. But this is going back some decades.

I'm from Kings Worthy originally, played for Worthies for about 10 years. I'm sure there are people on this forum I played with or against at some point in the Tyro league!

Football has the ability to make you utterly crazy. I played the original Football Manager (then called championship mgr) back in 1994 and played as Walsall in the bottom tier. Started following their real results culminating in me travelling to Elland Rd to see them take on high flying Leeds in the FA cup. 2-2 after 90mins then Phil Massinga came on and scored a hat trick. It was a phase... I love saints but I've never travelled that far to see us play! Bonkers.

They are doing pretty well this season in Conference South. Pretty much sell out every week at home and have just extended the main stand to increase attendances. Their 3G pitch is a massive benefit to the club and community.

I was reading an article about Dulwich recently where it stated some supporters don't want them to be promoted and are comfortable with the level they are playing at. Would you say this is true for most fans there? It does all begin to get quite cutthroat one step below the Conference and the money that is needed to stay competitive puts many clubs in a difficult position.

I don't understand why more people don't get out and watch local non league. I'd much rather nip up the road to watch Sholing than sit on the sofa watching Champions League.

I'd prefer Hamlet remaining in the Ryman Prem. Wouldn't be able to drink around the pitch any more if they got promoted! The atmosphere there is really good for that level to be fair, it's a bit infectious. Many of the fans are complete hipsters though, but no-one's perfect!

Yeah Dark Munster - a Canucks fan too! I am Saints first and foremost but also follow Hearts having lived in Edinburgh when I was younger and Vancouver Whitecaps as I now live in Vancouver.

I'm a Canucks fan too and have the same jersey as watched them lift the regular season trophy a few seasons back when I went across there for work, hockey is a awesome game to watch and how they can do the subs that quick and seamlessly is impressive, also all the hot chicks sweeping the ice.

Football has the ability to make you utterly crazy. I played the original Football Manager (then called championship mgr) back in 1994 and played as Walsall in the bottom tier. Started following their real results culminating in me travelling to Elland Rd to see them take on high flying Leeds in the FA cup. 2-2 after 90mins then Phil Massinga came on and scored a hat trick. It was a phase... I love saints but I've never travelled that far to see us play! Bonkers.

That's seriously strange behaviour. So you're saying you travelled further to watch a match based on a computer game than you did on the team you support? Personally i'd argue there's something very odd about that.

That's seriously strange behaviour. So you're saying you travelled further to watch a match based on a computer game than you did on the team you support? Personally i'd argue there's something very odd about that.

Whereas us singing at 2am that "Southampton boys are in town" in Seattle is perfectly normal behaviour ;)

(good days!)

I'd prefer Hamlet remaining in the Ryman Prem. Wouldn't be able to drink around the pitch any more if they got promoted! The atmosphere there is really good for that level to be fair, it's a bit infectious. Many of the fans are complete hipsters though, but no-one's perfect!

Yeah, drinking by the pitch is a crucial element in that decision! I wasn't aware of the rule change at Conference South level, it's most disappointing. It just wouldn't be the same for the bearded craft IPA fans at Dulwich if they got promoted.

Grew up in North Kent and watched Gravesend & Northfleet ( sadly now renamed Ebbsfleet United) for many years from 1974 and was a vice president for about ten years when one my mates was chairman. Moved to Winchester in 1987 and have been watching Saints regularly ever since, becoming a season ticket holder when the club moved to St Marys. For my sins I am chairman of Winchester Castle FC in the Hampshire Premier League, but miss matches that clash with Saints home games.

Glasgow Rangers (Grandad was a lifelong member/fan).

Ok, you're all gonna hate me now, cos I do follow teams that members of my family support (wishing they'd lose often, though), including:

Liverpool (brother)

Spurs (Dad)

Norwich (cousins)

Mates teams I look out for:

Wolves

Places I've lived, therefore some loyalty to:

Yeovil Town

St Johnstone (ie. Perth) - also called the Saints, so that's a decent other reason to like them.

Airdrieonians

Falkirk (the mighty Bairns)

Falmouth Town

Exeter City (the 'Goalless Grecians' - only ever saw 0-0 matches lol)

Crawley

Finally (sorry to be negative), NOT EVER:

Brighton

Yeah, drinking by the pitch is a crucial element in that decision! I wasn't aware of the rule change at Conference South level, it's most disappointing. It just wouldn't be the same for the bearded craft IPA fans at Dulwich if they got promoted.

I watch Maidenhead United reasonably regularly in the Conference South and you can drink by the pitch there. They've even opened a second bar there this season!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I'm another who follows Yeovil Town, and was also mascot for them when they played against Nuneaton Borough back in 2001/2002, If my memory serves me correctly!

Warren Patmore was a non-league legend in those parts at that time...

The sign-maker himself! I saw the famous Enfield match from the shed end - hanging out the trees, they were. Exciting non-league days! Mickey Spencer was another 'ledge' from that era.

incredible. lived in bugolobi district in kampala from aug-dec last year! closest I came to kisoro was isingiro/kamwenge/nakivale, but never that far. small world eh

Lived in Masaka for a few years as a very young kid (met Idi Amin would you believe!), and was born in Kisumu (Kenya). So look out for Kenyan results, particularly since Vic joined, not too bothered about Uganda though.

More locally, I look out for Woking (lived nearby for many a years and got to know some exceptional people who keep/kept the club going through their difficult times), and now Bray Wonders - sadly my nearest team (moved to Ireland due to Irish wifey), but worth watching a live team now and again.

Honestly, can't understand some comments above about only supporting Saints - difference for me is, I only support Saints and have done (despite the ridicule I get, particularly in Ireland. On one occasion my wife got a taxi and mentioned I supported Saints, the cabbie offered my wife a free ride as she obviously was married to a nut case - worst part she refused!), but you take an interest (or perhaps greater interest) with a place of affinity? Surely a bit like wanting one of our international players to do well in a given competition, until they face England?