Terrorist Attacks - WARNING: CONTAINS DISTRESSING IMAGES

sadoldgit

On 16/06/2023 at 18:07, Lord Duckhunter said:

I’ve watched it this week, thanks for the recommendation.

Once I found it was on the BBC I feared the worse, but it was excellent. I thought 5he last one a bit boring, but the rest were spellbinding. I fully expected the army/ruc to get a clogging, but that was addressed pretty fairly, with the lunatic element in both sides of the divide balanced. They also didn’t do which most commentary does and equate Rev Paisley with Adams and Mcguiness. No doubt he was a bigot & anti catholic, but he wasn’t a terrorist who killed people, they were (although Adams hasn’t got the balls to admit it). There’s a big difference between a bigoted democrat and an active IRA member, most miss this.I was also surprised they didn’t try and do a Soggy and crow bar Charlie Hebbdo or other Muslim atrocities into it. I was fully expecting the bit about the bookmakers shooting to do this.

The only criticism I had was they glossed over some of the consequences of “peace”. The two moderate parties have pretty much disappeared , so politically both sides are voting for extremists and also the mafia state of many areas of Ulster. However, all in all, it was a thought provoking , sad, educational and interesting piece of TV. 

On 16/06/2023 at 18:35, Turkish said:

Yeah it’s really good. I found it unbiased and balanced form both sides which is rare these days. All in all a cracking piece of telly. Highly recommend for anyone but especially those of us who grew up hearing about it all on the news, makes you be able to make some sense of it. Even if it is very sad. 

I havent watched it but will now, thanks.  My dad's family are from West Belfast and they grew up not having the vote. Only property owners could vote and if you had five houses you could vote five times. Since the Catholics were largely excluded from jobs in most employers they tended to be poorer and not own houses, so democratic change wasnt really an option. 

Anyhow my real point is that it took me 50 years to get my head around how the troubles came about. Every time I thought I'd grasped the history it turned out there was another incident that happened 20 or a hundred years previously. I ended up with the Viking invasion and the Dál Riata (Irish settlement of Scotland) but I'm sure there are layers before that. That's why I havent really posted on the Israel / Palestine thread. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, buctootim said:

I havent watched it but will now, thanks.  My dad's family are from West Belfast and they grew up not having the vote. Only property owners could vote and if you had five houses you could vote five times. Since the Catholics were largely excluded from jobs in most employers they tended to be poorer and not own houses, so democratic change wasnt really an option. 

Anyhow my real point is that it took me 50 years to get my head around how the troubles came about. Every time I thought I'd grasped the history it turned out there was another incident that happened 20 or a hundred years previously. I ended up with the Viking invasion and the Dál Riata (Irish settlement of Scotland) but I'm sure there are layers before that. That's why I havent really posted on the Israel / Palestine thread. 

Let us know what you think, as I said it’s one of the few non biased pieces of TV I’ve seen in this sort of thing 

9 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Let me guess, a failed asylum seeker and/or someone already known to authorities for being a nutter?

According to the new yes. Tunisian guy, failed to get asylum, know to police due to other crimes including people trafficking. Disappeared when his application was refused.

Brussels: Suspected gunman who killed two people before football match dies after being shot by police | World News | Sky News

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Looks like some largely peaceful Allahu Akbars' going on in Sydney?

Or, something else?

Too early to tell although I will tell you one thing before someone else does. NOT ALL MUSLIMS ARE TERRORISTS!

3 minutes ago, whelk said:

Too early to tell although I will tell you one thing before someone else does. NOT ALL MUSLIMS ARE TERRORISTS!

I certainly don't think the ones our son works for are.

The bloke who challenged the attacker with a bollard (see video in this article) deserves a medal the size of a dustbin lid https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/bondi-junction-shooting-stabbings-live-updates-police-operation-in-sydney-s-eastern-suburbs-20240413-p5fjku.html?post=p55uy8&gb=1

This is a horrific, racially-motivated attack with no justification and needs to be reported as such. I suspect Duckie may be on the money around there being a connection to it seemingly being an area with a significant Jewish population. Having said that, he didn’t seem to care who he was stabbing or trying to stab.

If he’d had anything about him, he’d have spent his life saving going over there to fight the IDF. Instead his response was to stab bystanders thousands of miles away with nothing to do with the Gaza conflict including a baby. How low can you go?

Well done to the copper who wiped him out with a good clean hit. 

From a Police press conference just underway.....

"She adds that police do not have fears that he was "holding an ideation - in other words it is not a terrorism incident. He is known to law enforcement"

Edited by badgerx16

14 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Or, something else?

It was something else Batman. You must be gutted but maybe shed a few tears for the victims even though they weren’t killed by an Islamist terrorist eh.

21 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Got friends & family in Bondi, know that shopping centre pretty well as I drunk regularly  in the Rooster Rugby club bar which is next door. Large Jewish community  around there, so I’d imagine that’s why it was targeted. 

Friends and family in Bondi? 

Know the shopping centre? 

Drunk regularly there? 

You are beginning to sound like SOG who often knows people and places featured in news events. 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

Very sad event, and unfortunate that people are quick to lurch to conclusions as to the motive. Seems like the bloke had serious MH issues and this happened as a result. 

Have to question (again) why when this stuff happens, some people seem so keen to use it for their personal agendas, there's something quite grotesque about the keenness to attribute this to eg Islam in this case.

But I guess it does also expose the people who do have discriminatory agendas. i just wish it made them reflect on themselves and why they wanted to get to that particular conclusion so quickly, but I suspect that won't happen, and they will be right one time and it will confirm every bias they have.

Edited by pingpong
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

Friends and family in Bondi? 

Know the shopping centre? 

Drunk regularly there? 

You are beginning to sound like SOG who often knows people and places featured in news events. 🤣🤣🤣

Only thanks to Apple Pay I can prove I was in Bondi area recently . Unless of course you think I got a random stranger to screen shot me his transactions. 

IMG_7851.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Only thanks to Apple Pay I can prove I was in Bondi area recently . Unless of course you think I got a random stranger to screen shot me his transactions. 

IMG_7851.jpeg

That's all very lovely, but why the conclusion that this must have been an anti semitic incident? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

It was something else Batman. You must be gutted but maybe shed a few tears for the victims even though they weren’t killed by an Islamist terrorist eh.

Equally I’m sure you were buzzing when you heard it wasn’t Islam related as some sort of win in your stance on mongboards. Love the fact you’ll be shedding crocodile tears though LOL

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Equally I’m sure you were buzzing when you heard it wasn’t Islam related as some sort of win in your stance on mongboards. Love the fact you’ll be shedding crocodile tears though LOL

He had a point. Pathetic of Batman and Duck to come straight on and fire allegations of a Muslim/anti semitic incident. Them doing that says more about them than their behaviour being highlighted. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, egg said:

He had a point. Pathetic of Batman and Duck to come straight on and fire allegations of a Muslim/anti semitic incident. Them doing that says more about them than their behaviour being highlighted. 

did you miss the post?

On 13/04/2024 at 09:30, AlexLaw76 said:

Or, something else?

2 hours ago, pingpong said:

Have to question (again) why when this stuff happens, some people seem so keen to use it for their personal agendas, there's something quite grotesque about the keenness to attribute this to eg Islam in this case.

But I guess it does also expose the people who do have discriminatory agendas. i just wish it made them reflect on themselves and why they wanted to get to that particular conclusion so quickly, but I suspect that won't happen, and they will be right one time and it will confirm every bias they have.

This 100%. Barely a day goes by when someone hasn’t been stabbed to death in the UK but not a word from the usual suspects about domestic knife crime. Any hint that an Islamic terrorist has killed anyone though and they are all over it like a rash.

We have all seen how these things play out. It doesn’t take much for a few random people to take matters into their own hands. Irrespective of the motive behind the murders in Sydney, it is quite likely that someone will be triggered by the events in the Middle East and we will see something similar again on the streets of the UK. If that thought isn’t depressing enough, the need to use these events to score points on social media says a lot about the society we live in.

Killers’ family acting with dignity, saying he’s had severe MH issues since age if 17, unreservedly condemning his actions and saying that the female police officer had no alternative but to clean him out.

All the hallmarks of paranoid schizophrenia. Most people with it can lead a normal life if they take their meds and have a decent support network. A lot of debate in the UK following the Nottingham murder trial recently and other cases where people with it haven’t or haven’t been able to manage their symptoms properly, plus delays in diagnosis and assessment https://news.sky.com/story/jacob-billington-mother-whose-son-was-fatally-stabbed-by-paranoid-schizophrenic-reacts-to-inquest-verdict-13089778

This is controversial, but I’ve always believed in better funding and use of secure units for people with PS who can’t manage a semi-stable lifestyle, with heavily supervised visits to family and trips out if there’s positive progress. There should also be monitoring where stable patients circumstances change. 

Another example here: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/belfast-police-service-of-northern-ireland-more-newry-southern-b2463513.html and here https://www.stewartslaw.com/news/high-court-says-schizophrenic-man-who-killed-three-people-can-bring-damages-claim-against-police-and-nhs/

Up front cost of extra support workers yes, but it would be more than covered by people with PS who can be supported to manage and have networks realising their potential, paying taxes and avoiding expensive police investigations and enquiries costing millions, and most of all reducing the high profile and tragic cases of violence to innocent people.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

IMG_7851.jpeg

Excellent proof. 

The onus will be on SOG to provide similar levels of proof in future. 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

so, yes, you missed the post. Thanks for clearing that up

I'll ask my question again. Your insinuation, ditto Duck's, seemed pretty clear. 

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

Thw first line was completely unnecessary, the second was to cover your arse just in case.

Yep. Not sure what it said pre editing either. 

Pretty blatant insinuations from people who have the audacity to label SoG anti semitic. 

• Like 1

Not sure why Batman is getting pelters. Lots of similar attacks have been from fundamentalists. Speculating and getting it wrong is hardly a big deal. Go back to first page of this thread and Batman posted the same….and was right,

Edited by whelk
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, whelk said:

Not sure why Batman is getting pelters. Lots of similar attacks have been from fundamentalists. Speculating and getting it wrong is hardly a big deal. Go back to first page of this thread and Batman posted the same….and was right,

It is the tone of his post above that people are taken offence with;

"some largely peaceful Allahu Akbars' going on in Sydney?" - what is that if not a bigotted slur as an opening gambit when very little detail was known ?

The post on the first page, "looks like the work of Islamic nutters. Let's see if that bears out"' follows on from several other posters where what information was already public tended to indicate Islamists were almost certainly involved.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, whelk said:

Why, for me, because the lurch was daft and unnecessary, and it also reeks of hypocrisy (more so from duck to be fair) given the grief SoG gets for less. 

Fully deserved imo. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

That’s the victims, the question was who mentioned the perpetrator’s religion, which is what Soggy claimed. 

By implication, who would be carrying out deliberates attacks specifically on Jews ? Buddhists ?

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

By implication, who would be carrying out deliberates attacks specifically on Jews ? Buddhists ?

Quite.

The squirming is pathetic. 

Prejudices have been apparent for a while. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, egg said:

Quite.

The squirming is pathetic. 

Prejudices have been apparent for a while. 

You know Sky News mentioned the same thing? Rabid Zionists or Islamophobic?

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

Sympathisers like many that march in London? Isn’t that what so many here seem terrified of with the ‘let’s stay out of it’ desire?

22 minutes ago, whelk said:

You know Sky News mentioned the same thing? Rabid Zionists or Islamophobic?

Do they come on forums labelling people anti semitic? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Do they come on forums labelling people anti semitic? 

People who group all Jews together and say things like suffering the holocaust doesn’t give you a free pass? You know the antisemitic sorts

3 hours ago, whelk said:

People who group all Jews together and say things like suffering the holocaust doesn’t give you a free pass? You know the antisemitic sorts

Every thread every day Whelk screaming antisemite at SoG. You must even be boring yourself by now.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Every thread every day Whelk screaming antisemite at SoG. You must even be boring yourself by now.

Really got under your skin haven’t I? Maybe not the best place for a sensitive soul like you. 
Screaming am I? Bless you

Edited by whelk
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I think the question we’re all dying to ask is: How many drinks can you get for £37.43 at Bondi Beach?

Given Ducky’s usual behaviour in an ale house and the assumption that he packed the Snapdragon off to play with the sharks so that he could eye up the local Sheilas, I’m guessing 9 pints?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

Given Ducky’s usual behaviour in an ale house and the assumption that he packed the Snapdragon off to play with the sharks so that he could eye up the local Sheilas, I’m guessing 9 pints?

I did notice recently he referenced a Mrs Duck. Is this a new woke version we are witnessing?

23 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

This 100%. Barely a day goes by when someone hasn’t been stabbed to death in the UK but not a word from the usual suspects about domestic knife crime. Any hint that an Islamic terrorist has killed anyone though and they are all over it like a rash.

We have all seen how these things play out. It doesn’t take much for a few random people to take matters into their own hands. Irrespective of the motive behind the murders in Sydney, it is quite likely that someone will be triggered by the events in the Middle East and we will see something similar again on the streets of the UK. If that thought isn’t depressing enough, the need to use these events to score points on social media says a lot about the society we live in.

The lack of self awareness on this post is staggering.

Edited by Turkish