Do all PL teams fans sing OWTS now...

doddisalegend

Listening to a bit of Liverpool V Stoke on the radio tonight and you can here Stoke fans belting out OWTS (well stoke). Also seems like a lot of away fans are have a go at singing OWTS at SMS these days to. Don't know why but it ****es me off :rolleyes:

Saints fans would never sing Delilah, You'll never walk alone or blowing bubbles so why the **** do others want to sing our song...

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Well, maybe not for football supporters!!! It is a bit weird though, that teams have to use it when there is a connection to Saints already about (ie us) and they have absolutely none (ie unlike St. Mirren etc). But what I find really really strange is when they start singing it at SMS. I presume it is to wind us up, which it doesn't really, just find it a little sad.

Listening to a bit of Liverpool V Stoke on the radio tonight and you can here Stoke fans belting out OWTS (well stoke). Also seems like a lot of away fans are have a go at singing OWTS at SMS these days to. Don't know why but it ****es me off :rolleyes:

Saints fans would never sing Delilah, You'll never walk alone or blowing bubbles so why the **** do others want to sing our song...

Saints fans used to sing You'll Never Walk Alone quite a lot, fairly sure they sang it at Wembley in 1976. But back then most sets of fans all sang the same songs, before some became more associated with one club more than the others.

As for Stoke and Spurs (there's one more but they escape me at the moment), they just look daft singing what is clearly a Saints song.

Saints supporters used to sing " Glory, glory we're Southampton. Glory, glory we're Southampton. Glory, glory we're Southampton. And the Saints go marchin'in.."

This then broke into " When the Saints"

Don't know when and why we stopped singing Glory, Glory. Always thought we did a great rendition and spiced up OWTS.

Watched Spurs vs "MLS Allstars" here in the states last year. Practically home field for Spurs, could hear their fans singing OWTS. Very annoying...

Went to the see Arsenal vs. Saints Boxing Day match at a local pub. Saints fans were singing OWTS, and the guy next to me says something like "Southampton sings that aswell? Isn't that Tottenham's song?" :?

Saints supporters used to sing " Glory, glory we're Southampton. Glory, glory we're Southampton. Glory, glory we're Southampton. And the Saints go marchin'in.."

This then broke into " When the Saints"

Don't know when and why we stopped singing Glory, Glory. Always thought we did a great rendition and spiced up OWTS.

When I was in the school choir, we used to sing OWTS and then half of us would break into 'swing low, sweet chariot' at the same time. All I could ever think about was how good it would sung out of tune by thousands in a stadium.

Spurs sing it better than us to be fair. That's what's more annoying.

And Stoke and West Brom. In the 70s/80s most club's fans belted it out, the scallies always done it well, just like most fans gave a rendition of YNWA with scarves aloft at the end of a winning match. Saints, like othes, also did a variation on "Blowing Bubbles".

English 'support' is usually boring crap and just copied by each other.

Simple- "we sing our own songs x3 we're Southampton we sing our own songs" everytime that gets sung by our opposition.

Tinpot

Simple- "we sing our own songs x3 we're Southampton we sing our own songs" everytime that gets sung by our opposition.

I think "we sing songs that are sh*tter variants of songs sung by other clubs or anything to the tune of sloop john b" x 3 would be more appropriate.

As for I'm forever blowing bubbles in the OP as has been said saints used to sing a version of that.

well, clearly not true LOL

The clue is in the title oh when the saints not oh when the spurs thou isn't it .

Don't think any other song has the clubs nickname in it .

Devil in your shoes - Man United

Baggie trousers - west brom

Under the blade - Sheffield united

Guess that's why they call it the blues - various clubs

Chelsea dagger - Dagenham and Redbridge

Diamonds and pearls - rushden and diamonds

The eagle has landed - palace

If I had hammer - West Ham

The lion sleeps tonight - millwall

I'm sure there are plenty more

Devil in your shoes - Man United

Baggie trousers - west brom

Under the blade - Sheffield united

Guess that's why they call it the blues - various clubs

Chelsea dagger - Dagenham and Redbridge

Diamonds and pearls - rushden and diamonds

The eagle has landed - palace

If I had hammer - West Ham

The lion sleeps tonight - millwall

I'm sure there are plenty more

have we nicked Millwall's song for our own Victor Wanyama.?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

a lot of these songs started because they were tunes that folks used to hear in church, back in the day that most folks went to church

not just saying this because it has "saint" in the song - you'll find a lot of tunes have their origins there

what with standard melodies, using the same hymnbook, not surprising that several teams now have established songs that are the same

totally agree though - daylight robbery that spurs use the song

we dont own Oh when the saints. So not our song. Not sure why people get annoyed about it

Of course we don't own it. But it is a song featuring our club nickname, so we have more reason to claim it as our song than some other club who have just substituted their name for Saints. It is therefore our song from that perspective. I'm not sure why that annoys you.

If any other club's fans want to embarrass themselves by singing it at St Mary's, then that is a bonus, as all we have to do is sing it at the same time to give the impression that virtually the whole stadium is singing our song.

a lot of these songs started because they were tunes that folks used to hear in church, back in the day that most folks went to church

not just saying this because it has "saint" in the song - you'll find a lot of tunes have their origins there

what with standard melodies, using the same hymnbook, not surprising that several teams now have established songs that are the same

totally agree though - daylight robbery that spurs use the song

You've raised an interesting point here. As our song came from the church, indeed our origins are from religious backgrounds then we have a number of issues.

Is OWTSGMI offensive to non Christians? It certainly could be and perhaps explains the lack of Muslims that follow the club.

If you are an atheist is it hypocritical to support a team with such deep ties with religion who even takes their nickname and songs from the church?

Of course we don't own it. But it is a song featuring our club nickname, so we have more reason to claim it as our song than some other club who have just substituted their name for Saints. It is therefore our song from that perspective. I'm not sure why that annoys you.

If any other club's fans want to embarrass themselves by singing it at St Mary's, then that is a bonus, as all we have to do is sing it at the same time to give the impression that virtually the whole stadium is singing our song.

we shouldnt sing other clubs songs with a saints twist them. It is clearly rather embarrassing

You've raised an interesting point here. As our song came from the church, indeed our origins are from religious backgrounds then we have a number of issues.

Is OWTSGMI offensive to non Christians? It certainly could be and perhaps explains the lack of Muslims that follow the club.

If you are an atheist is it hypocritical to support a team with such deep ties with religion who even takes their nickname and songs from the church?

What a complete and utter load of crap.

not sure...

don't think so

was just making a general comment about how the masses came to all be familiar with the same melodies and songs, at least back in the day.

a few modern ones are based off top of the pops era tunes.

WTAF.

100% this.

The same atheist hypocrites who thought it acceptable to wear the racist hair and hat to mock Gordon Strachan.

I'll have what he's having... :lol:

Most of our songs, if not pretty much all, are sung by other clubs in some form or another.

The only one we have that could be considered 'ours' and certainly original is Woolston Ferry but a lot seem to be against singing it. Maybe we should really try to give it a go or adapt the Bells of St Mary's song for us to sing as well, it is written about the church our club was founded at after all.

we shouldnt sing other clubs songs with a saints twist them. It is clearly rather embarrassing

What is embarrassing regarding fans of other teams, is them singing the song most associated with us in our ground. I thought that it was clear what I meant. I would hope that our fans wouldn't be so idiotic as to sing I'm forever blowing bubbles at West Ham, or "You'll never walk alone" at Anfield for example.

I couldn't care a toss who sings our song at other grounds, as I'm comfortable in the knowledge that we have the best claim to it, as we are the only top flight English club who don't have to change it to adapt it to ourselves.

The way I see it, OWTS has been the Southampton 'Anthem' for years. Never used to hear any other fans singing it. You never hear anyone else singing "I'm

Forever Blowing Bubbles" because it's accepted that that's West Ham's song. No-one sings "Blue Moon" because that's Man City just as "You'll Never Walk Alone"

is Liverpool. No-one sings these songs so why sing ours?

The thing that bugs me with Spurs is their attitude. If we want your manager - we'll have him. If we want your player - we'll come in for him and cause all sorts

upset at your club. The man who plays with the black box - he's ours! Oh yea, and BTW we'll take your song while we're at it. What are you gonna do?

No I'm not wound up - what makes you think that?;)

The way I see it, OWTS has been the Southampton 'Anthem' for years. Never used to hear any other fans singing it.

Spurs have been singing it since time immemoriam certainly used to sing it when I first started supporting Saints in the mid 60s.

Really don't know what the issue is. Its not "our" song, its an American jazz "hymn", which we nicked from the US of A.

I used to go to the Dell late 60s/early 70s and I don't remember hearing anyone else singing it. Not saying they didn't - just saying I don't remember it. I accept it's not our song as such. It wasn't a Saints fan who wrote it (although it might have been;)) but to me it is generally thought of as our anthem. My point is that Blue Moon doesn't belong to Man City, but it's accepted that it's their song - so no-one else sings it. Same with the other songs I mentioned. Even poopey has got a song that no-one else sings, but that's probably 'cos no-one else wants to. Not the point though, they could if they wanted to. OMG I'm arguing with myself now.

From back in the day

I'm for ever blowing bubbles

Pretty bubbles in the sky

They fly so high never reach the sky

Just like West Ham they fade and die

Tottenham always running Arsenal running to

Southampton always running, running after you

I can remember it being sung by most of the crowd, and not just the singing fans when we were in Div 3 about 1961 think.

When we went up we played Portsmouth and I heard the Pompey chimes for the first time and saw my first football fight when the Pompey Matalo came into the Milton.

I was too young to go anywhere till the mid sixties when singing and chanting had been popularised by the fans, but the Dell, (except when my next door neighbour took me to Arsenal v Man U in about 1960, and I saw Newport County and Cardiff with my uncle and father when visiting.

Believe it or not one of the most popular chants back then was still 2-4-6-8 who do we appreciate.

I think that Glory, Glory sung by Spurs on TV in Europe was probably one of the first songs to become well known.

I think that in the 50s and early sixties very few clubs had a song, with the exception of West Ham, Pompey-if you include The Chimes, Spurs and Saints.

At that age I never went oop north but I think that the popularisation of football songs began with Man U and Liverpool.

regrettably I have to admit that Man U had the wittiest and most inventive.

I come down very strongly on the side that OWTS is the Saints own song and all other clubs using it are guilty of lazy plagiarism.

However we can take solace in the fact that "Imitation is the sincerest form of flatter"

Now a song based on that might make an interesting and witty response.

Once again, instead of Glory, Glory how's about this one

Charlie Austin. scores a goal in every game

Charlie, Charlie scores a goal in every game

Charlie Austin scores a goal in every game

And the Saints go marching in