Charlie Austin Injury Update

Toomer

To be honest i'd be intrigued to know how he would do after a full pre-season followed by an immediate run in the side, rather than waiting 10-12 games like he's had to do these two seasons. For someone who isn't particularly fit, I can't imagine working hard all summer to then not play for weeks, and then be thrown in for a run, is the easiest thing for his body to cope with. Maybe I'm just making excuses for him.

my thoughts entirely look what Charlie did for QPR when playing regular , Although SRL wasnt injury prone whilst with us if he sat on the bench for 12 games it would take him another 5/6 games to get him match fit as like Austin he wasn't naturally fit

I dont get how people don't like him due to injuries..... He's still better value than our other turds who don't get injured, but don't score either
I don't think its a question of liking or disliking.

Its actually quite simple: you can't score goals if you aren't on the pitch.

Its easy to say, "If Austin was always fit he would score 25 goals in a season" or "He is our best striker" etc but the facts are that he has been at Saints across 3 separate seasons and has had major/fairly major injuries in all of those seasons.

Is he reliable at scoring goals when playing? Yes

Is he reliable at being fit enough to play regular PL football? No

Does that matter when judging him? Absolutely

I don't think its a question of liking or disliking.

Its actually quite simple: you can't score goals if you aren't on the pitch.

Its easy to say, "If Austin was always fit he would score 25 goals in a season" or "He is our best striker" etc but the facts are that he has been at Saints across 3 separate seasons and has had major/fairly major injuries in all of those seasons.

Is he reliable at scoring goals when playing? Yes

Is he reliable at being fit enough to play regular PL football? No

Does that matter when judging him? Absolutely

I agree, but is he worth keeping if he plays 15 games and scores 10 goals? Yes, IMO.

What the new manager will have to do, whoever that is and whatever division we're in, is manage Austin effectively (I.e play him for a couple of games, rest him etc...). He has the ability to score enough goals to keep / send us up.

Of course there is the argument that he is very well paid and for that you would expect him to be playing a large % of our games.

On the balance, I would 100% keep him

To be honest i'd be intrigued to know how he would do after a full pre-season followed by an immediate run in the side, rather than waiting 10-12 games like he's had to do these two seasons. For someone who isn't particularly fit, I can't imagine working hard all summer to then not play for weeks, and then be thrown in for a run, is the easiest thing for his body to cope with. Maybe I'm just making excuses for him.

Eh? You make it sound like he doesn't train everyday or that he got injured as soon as he started.

Fact is he's crocked pal. Its only a matter of when, not if he reinjures himself. We knew what we were getting when we bought him.

Eh? You make it sound like he doesn't train everyday or that he got injured as soon as he started.

Fact is he's crocked pal. Its only a matter of when, not if he reinjures himself. We knew what we were getting when we bought him.

This is correct. Even when "fit", I've been told he can't play Sat, Weds, Sat as his knees aren't up to it.

If we stay up we could do with a major overhaul of our striking options (even though we've just spent 19m on one of them).

Not Charlie, his strike partner Mano

18:17GABBIADINI BACK TO ITALY?

Manolo Gabbiadini wants to return to Serie A at the end of the season, according to reports in Italy.

The striker has found himself on the margins of the Southampton first team this season.

The 26-year-old is attracting interest from Bologna, but Lazio are the favourites to sign him, Alfredo Pedulla reports.

Hope this is old news rehashed? Hopefully he gets a run in the side now and feels needed.

Not Charlie, his strike partner Mano

18:17GABBIADINI BACK TO ITALY?

Manolo Gabbiadini wants to return to Serie A at the end of the season, according to reports in Italy.

The striker has found himself on the margins of the Southampton first team this season.

The 26-year-old is attracting interest from Bologna, but Lazio are the favourites to sign him, Alfredo Pedulla reports.

Hope this is old news rehashed? Hopefully he gets a run in the side now and feels needed.

He's the only one of our current strikers I actually want to keep. Hopefully he has a decent run in the side and sticks around.

I agree, but is he worth keeping if he plays 15 games and scores 10 goals? Yes, IMO.

He's Austin, not Van Nistelrooy.

I think the answer is to buy another Charlie Austin (good scorer but injury prone). Maybe two more. It's ideal: we get them cheap, they won't bugger off after one season, and hopefully at least one will be fit while the other(s) are in the physio room.

Carrol and Sturridge. Job done.

This is correct. Even when "fit", I've been told he can't play Sat, Weds, Sat as his knees aren't up to it.

If we stay up we could do with a major overhaul of our striking options (even though we've just spent 19m on one of them).

Neither of his two injures over the past two seasons have been knee related. One was his shoulder and one a hamstring. This "knee ligament" thing is a myth at this point. In my opinion its concerning, but could turn out to be just bad luck. I believe he was healthy most of the time at QPR.

If we stick with the 4-4-2 I would play him alongside Shane Long. Get Long to do all his running and to give Austin space to focus on finishing.

If we go back to 4-2-3-1, start with Austin limit defensive involvement and bring him off when he run's out of puff.

Neither of his two injures over the past two seasons have been knee related. One was his shoulder and one a hamstring. This "knee ligament" thing is a myth at this point. In my opinion its concerning, but could turn out to be just bad luck. I believe he was healthy most of the time at QPR.

I didn't say his injuries here had been knew injuries. I said someone told me his knees aren't up to it though. Could be wrong but that's what I was told.