Ronald Koeman...Will he? Won't he?

Saint Garrett

We all seem to be banging on about keeping big Ron on board, and I'm all for that myself. But he said himself that the club target was 7th or higher this season. I know we had a somewhat more ruthless boardroom under cortese, but if Ron fails to deliver that target, might he not be sacked because of it regardless of the remaining year on his contract?

No. He has done a good job and generally its been a satisfactory season given most of the summer signings have not had the impact that was hoped for (VVD aside).

Look..

If Koeman starts that game, that would be as clear a signal as any that he's not commiitted to the club.

In that case...Les should pay off his final year and say goodbye as soon as the final whistle blows in the final match this season and get someone else suitable in who's committed for at least 5 years.

Fed up with us being backed into a corner all the f*cking time just because the board naively believes "talks are positive".

Let's face it..Les comes out with that line every single time it's abundantly obvious we're about to get barrelled.

But Les comes out with: "Talks are positive".

F** positive..are you signing or not?..if not do one.

I want Koeman to stay, I think he fits our club philosophy's perfectly, but I'm sorry, it's about time we grew a pair of b*llocks.

Look, giving a 5 year contract is potentially naive. Say, for example, this new manager we get was given a 5 year contract and was performing extremely poorly- think about how much we would have to pay to get rid of him.

The same goes for players- if it was up to me, I would handle it how WHU handled Payet, giving him a new contract within 6 months of consistent performance- but then again that could mean the players lose motivation :/

No. He has done a good job and generally its been a satisfactory season given most of the summer signings have not had the impact that was hoped for (VVD aside).

There's no doubt he's done a good job. I'm just asking the question, if the board have set a specific target and we fail to achieve it, would it be conceivable that he might be fired rather than walking out.

There's no doubt he's done a good job. I'm just asking the question, if the board have set a specific target and we fail to achieve it, would it be conceivable that he might be fired rather than walking out.

Not under the current board no chance.

Under Cortese yeah probably.

But we messed it up with Cortese aswell and ended up with this clown Les reed. :rolleyes:

P.S Ron absolutely should NOT be sacked purely on stats. He's done a decent job imo.

Edited by Ice2Eskimos

Isn't a lot his post quite similar to what you were saying on here the other day? Koeman either committing or going this summer? Maybe you two have quite a bit in common.

Not really.

I said we would not let his contract drift into a final year and that I expect him to sign a new one soon, most likely a one year rolling contract, and I said still think he will leave to do something else at the end of next season. Probably said that now on three or four separate threads. Pretty clear what I think.

So not that similar at all.

But we messed it up with Cortese aswell and ended up with this clown Les reed. :rolleyes:

P.S Ron absolutely should NOT be sacked purely on stats. He's done a decent job imo.

Cortese appointed that "clown".

Agree with your final bit.

Cortese appointed that "clown".

Agree with your final bit.

to be fair..

I don't see how that's Cortese's fault.

He could have just walked out, shut the door and whistled into his car never to be seen again without appointing anyone at all.

Doesn't make Les Reed any less of a clown.

It's who we winded up with.

to be fair..

He could have just walked out, shut the door and whistled into his car never to be seen again without appointing anyone at all.

What are you talking about?! :lol: Reed was here for years before Cortese left.

to be fair..

Why do you regard Reed a clown ?

He seemed to do a pretty good job in the background in coming from L1 & Championship , although his role has become more prominent since promotion and moreso since Adkins was sacked.

I agree to some extent with you over the disappointment of not signing Toby, but you are overlooking that the player was always going to have the final say on joining us or not. He made encouraging noises about staying with us, but if you remember these interviews changed to staying in the Premier League, and he was linked with spurs towards the end of the season. Joining Levy for more pieces of silver was always on the cards. Naive in the extreme to think otherwise.

Why do you regard Reed a clown ?

He seemed to do a pretty good job in the background in coming from L1 & Championship , although his role has become more prominent since promotion and moreso since Adkins was sacked.

I agree to some extent with you over the disappointment of not signing Toby, but you are overlooking that the player was always going to have the final say on joining us or not. He made encouraging noises about staying with us, but if you remember these interviews changed to staying in the Premier League, and he was linked with spurs towards the end of the season. Joining Levy for more pieces of silver was always on the cards. Naive in the extreme to think otherwise.

The man is a complete clusterf*ck imo.

Not just Toby.

The way he handled the Poch & Clyne situation was diabolical.

He has literally NO IDEA when the train is coming until the wheels are grinding over his face.

The man is a complete clusterf*ck imo.

Not just Toby.

The way he handled the Poch & Clyne situation was diabolical.

He has literally NO IDEA when the train is coming until the wheels are grinding over his face.

We have risen from League One to 7th in the Premier League with Reed overseeing football at the club. I struggle to see how that makes him a "complete clusterf*ck".

How for example do you propose he could have kept Pochettino and Clyne? In any case... we finished higher without Pochettino with the man Reed picked then we did with Pochettino.

What should he have done differently, to keep Poch & Clyne at the club?

He let both situations drag on for far too long.

Should have got them sorted on Extensions at the minimum.

Look at Levy at Spurs..just got poch on a 2 year extension..without relying on a "Gentlemans f*cking word".

I don't believe for one second we couldn't have kept Clyne.

He could have left for Arsenal the year before and he stayed.

Poch is debateable as Cortese leaving was probably the catalyst there but again a bit more pro-activeness and we might

have kept him on board.

We had the finances to offer him a ridiculous wage and why shouldn't we have done?..

We've only let the best manager we've ever had walk out the door.

Let's now have the encore for Koeman, because we all know it's going to happen.

Reed is a clown.

Not really.

I said we would not let his contract drift into a final year and that I expect him to sign a new one soon, most likely a one year rolling contract, and I said still think he will leave to do something else at the end of next season. Probably said that now on three or four separate threads. Pretty clear what I think.

So not that similar at all.

Well we'll see. Not really much in encentive for Koeman to sign anything if he plans to go at the end of next season anyway. Can easily see him entering his final year next season without a better offer from elsewhere this summer and there is no way we could sack him without looking ridiculous so that won't happen either.

Look at Levy at Spurs..just got poch on a 2 year extension..without relying on a "Gentlemans f*cking word".

Poch is debateable as Cortese leaving was probably the catalyst there but again a bit more pro-activeness and we might

have kept him on board.

We had the finances to offer him a ridiculous wage and why shouldn't we have done?..

Reed is a clown.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

have kept him on board.

Reed is a clown.

the new glasgow saint/barry sanchez/yuki/heisenburg/pluto :lol::lol::lol:

Well we'll see. Not really much in encentive for Koeman to sign anything if he plans to go at the end of next season anyway. Can easily see him entering his final year next season without a better offer from elsewhere this summer and there is no way we could sack him without looking ridiculous so that won't happen either.

A really easy pay rise is quite a nice incentive. Plus the club get a nice headline and it wards off a load of rumour and speculation for a while too. Plus it's a little bit of commitment but not much and clearly would be reviewed by both parties every year. Everyone's a winner.

have kept him on board.

Reed is a clown.

You're a special little guy, that's for sure.

A really easy pay rise is quite a nice incentive. Plus the club get a nice headline and it wards off a load of rumour and speculation for a while too. Plus it's a little bit of commitment but not much and clearly would be reviewed by both parties every year. Everyone's a winner.

It would only bring us to this exact same scenario next year. It's not as if the speculation is yet to begin, it started a few weeks ago. Sure, a pay rise for Koeman would be attractive but for Saints, paying someone more for doing what they are already contracted to do for what would essentially be the exact same period of time wouldn't make sense. If they could get him sign for another 2 years beyond then it starts to resemble something of a real win for everyone, especially with talk of the new five year plan. I can't see any extension being signed now though, Koeman is clearly keen to keep his options open for as long as possible. Obviously it would be great if he did but a bit pointless if it's a means to the same end.

It would only bring us to this exact same scenario next year. It's not as if the speculation is yet to begin, it started a few weeks ago. Sure, a pay rise for Koeman would be attractive but for Saints, paying someone more for doing what they are already contracted to do for what would essentially be the exact same period of time wouldn't make sense. If they could get him sign for another 2 years beyond then it starts to resemble something of a real win for everyone, especially with talk of the new five year plan. I can't see any extension being signed now though, Koeman is clearly keen to keep his options open for as long as possible. Obviously it would be great if he did but a bit pointless if it's a means to the same end.

Spot....on.

Sooner or later, the club will offer him a new deal (and leak it to the press) so the ball will be in his court when that happens

They might well do that and he might sign that, I would think that is precisely what the club will want him to sign. The rolling contract thing is just where I think they will end up, for the reasons I keep saying.

As for "the same place next season" well, he isn't going to be our manager for ever, I think we'll need to kinda accept that now.

And anyway we might finish 13th next season and it might be a perfectly fine idea to get a fresh face in instead. There wasn't much clamouring for his contract to be extended in December.

As far as Im concerned, three years life span feels about right for clubs like us anyway.

I notice you're not the brightest spark.

Reed didn't have Cortese's job, meaning full control, until Cortese put him place before he exited.

well hes brighter than you as cortese did fuk all and reed was responsible for all the football dept.

Ok really slowly..

Who appointed him in the first place Einstein?...

Jesus wept.

whats that got to do with it ?

Reed has been head of football for two promotions and 3 top ten PL finishes.

Your dwarf mate was a joke spending money like water and using a PR to make him look good to gullible fans.

How? Hold a gun to their head? If they want to leave to go to richer clubs, who offer bigger wages then they won't sign new contracts.

Pochettino hasn't actually signed a new deal yet with Spurs. At the moment its just his word, as it was with us. In any case are you not aware Spurs have a far bigger income than us and can offer players and managers bigger contracts?

Why not? Clyne didn't want to sign a new deal and Liverpool are capable of offering significantly higher wages than us.

Do you have any evidence for that beyond a link to a tabloid rumour?

Clyne when he was sold didn't want to sign a new contract and was in the last year of his contract. That is why we only got £12m. If we refused to sell him we'd have got £0 this summer.

have kept him on board.

Cortese staying would have made no difference, Spurs would still have been able to offer higher wages to Pochettino and a bigger transfer and wage budget/

Because clubs like Spurs, Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal who have bought our top talent have bigger wages budgets due to much larger income. If we start financially overstitching it'll end in a Pompey/Leeds style disaster.

We finished 2nd under McMenemy and won the FA Cup.

Plus we finished higher with Koeman than we did Pochettino.

Reed is a clown.

Its post like this one that make me think you should look in a mirror for clowns.

Reed has overseen the club rise from League One to 7th in the Premier League. He has been the footballing consistently in the hierarchy of the club and has played a huge part in our success since the Liebherr takeover. I find it bizarre the level of vitriol you are levelling at him.

He's a good manager and will be hard to replace. Maybe worth noting that Feyenoord have gone a bit rubbish again since he left and well off the pace of PSV and Ajax. Just like they were before he took over. Infact the 3 years he was manager were all the closest they got to the title since last winning it in the last 90's.

I hope he stays beyond next season.

Koemans staying next year. But after that will depend on Boardroom ambition.

Our business model is to sell the best and replace with generally well-scouted gambles, which has undeniably resulted in a gradual reduction in our placing despite having a superb managerial team.

Time will tell but no manager with ambition will stay within that model.

So if in the summer the best leave again (which I suspect will happen), the inevitable will happen yet again. Koemans therefore off end of next season -Saints finishing around 10th next year would be my current prediction.

Can't see things changing without an injection of capital aka Leicester. That would require the club to be sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koemans staying next year. But after that will depend on Boardroom ambition.

Our business model is to sell the best and replace with generally well-scouted gambles, which has undeniably resulted in a gradual reduction in our placing despite having a superb managerial team.

Time will tell but no manager with ambition will stay within that model.

So if in the summer the best leave again (which I suspect will happen), the inevitable will happen yet again. Koemans therefore off end of next season -Saints finishing around 10th next year would be my current prediction.

Can't see things changing without an injection of capital aka Leicester. That would require the club to be sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have had an injection of capital like Leicester.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11675/10266525/mauricio-pochettino-leads-the-way-with-new-spurs-deal

Interesting perspective. Wonder if our situation would have any impact on our own plans, especially if RK does decide not to sign a new deal.

That's exactly what Pochettino didn't do when he left us! I don't think we'd have lost so many, or even any, of our players if he'd done this.

But yeah, Koeman signing a new contract before the transfer window would definitely give security to those interesting in joining or considering leaving.

Koeman saying again he will speak to Reed after the Palace game and reiterating he has one more year on his contract.

Did rule out an extension but doesn't seem overly keen either.

He just wants Les for buy him a coffee, that's what I got out of it.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11675/10266525/mauricio-pochettino-leads-the-way-with-new-spurs-deal

Interesting perspective. Wonder if our situation would have any impact on our own plans, especially if RK does decide not to sign a new deal.

Certainly a valid point. United, for example must consider themselves in a weaker position within the transfer market when players know that LvG is only there for [in theory] another year.

Koeman is pretty evasive on it though. Seems quite uncomfortable when asked about it.

Maybe he likes a certain kind of coffee that Les doesn't have at his office. Ron strikes me as a simple strong black kinda guy. Les more of your milky Nescafé bloke.

Certainly a valid point. United, for example must consider themselves in a weaker position within the transfer market when players know that LvG is only there for [in theory] another year.

I find hard to believe to many players would be swayed by LVG either way. I think players who sign for man u are signing to play for huge club ( and no doubt a huge wage packet) I think in those circumstances the manager may be less important.

I find hard to believe to many players would be swayed by LVG either way. I think players who sign for man u are signing to play for huge club ( and no doubt a huge wage packet) I think in those circumstances the manager may be less important.

Quite possibly a different scenario for Saints though, where Koeman has undoubtedly been a massive influence on some of the players we have brought in.

Quite possibly a different scenario for Saints though, where Koeman has undoubtedly been a massive influence on some of the players we have brought in.

Totally agree. We are lucky to have a manager with some kudos in the football world which is very useful for a club like saints....one of the reasons I'm not keen on Eddie Howe.

Koeman clearly has ambitions beyond saints. I have no problem with that as long as he leaves us in a better way than mopo did.