Ronald Koeman...Will he? Won't he?

Saint Garrett

Totally agree. We are lucky to have a manager with some kudos in the football world which is very useful for a club like saints....one of the reasons I'm not keen on Eddie Howe.

Koeman clearly has ambitions beyond saints. I have no problem with that as long as he leaves us in a better way than mopo did.

Yes, luccky to have a manager of Koeman's standing and reputation, although to be honest his name and reputation has more to do with his playing days than as a manager.

As for a "name" manager, Poch was not a name on arrival was he ?

Yes, luccky to have a manager of Koeman's standing and reputation, although to be honest his name and reputation has more to do with his playing days than as a manager.

As for a "name" manager, Poch was not a name on arrival was he ?

Nope but then he didn't really bring many players in (IIRC) he was given the brief to manage the likes of Danny Fox and Jos the boss who were probably just happy to be playing in the PL. The only player he brought in which was clearly his idea was Osvaldo ( and he didn't seem all that happy to be here).

As a slight aside on talk****e last night someone was saying that poch needs to show he can handle the big name players before he can be consider a really good coach which I thought was interesting.

Nope but then he didn't really bring many players in (IIRC) he was given the brief to manage the likes of Danny Fox and Jos the boss who were probably just happy to be playing in the PL. The only player he brought in which was clearly his idea was Osvaldo ( and he didn't seem all that happy to be here).

Didn't he bring in Lovren and Wanyama as well as Osvaldo? He didn't really need to bring many in did he? It was only after he left that we needed to bring in lots of players.

Koeman wants us to stop selling players every summer:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/513485/Ronald-Koeman-ultimatum-Southampton-bosses

Fair enough in many ways.

Edit: This is where the quotes are from.

Still very evasive on a long term future, ball firmly in Saints court and lots of "you have to be realistic" etc.

Very hard to see Koeman doing more than one more year IMO.

Also wonder whether Ralph might do well to tone down some of his public comments: he has a habit of exaggerating somewhat. Certainly did so when talking about Koeman's situation recently.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Koeman wants us to stop selling players every summer:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/513485/Ronald-Koeman-ultimatum-Southampton-bosses

Fair enough in many ways.

Edit: This is where the quotes are from.

Still very evasive on a long term future, ball firmly in Saints court and lots of "you have to be realistic" etc.

Very hard to see Koeman doing more than one more year IMO.

Also wonder whether Ralph might do well to tone down some of his public comments: he has a habit of exaggerating somewhat. Certainly did so when talking about Koeman's situation recently.

exactly!!!

With a club like us, there's only two types of squad, either one that has good players that will always be picked apart by richer clubs, or a squad that is filled with mediocre players that will stay loyal because they aren't likely to do much better.

From Guan on another thread:

What i know: Ronald is perfectly happy to stay for his last contracted year, but is always hesitant about adding more, which was most evident in the middle of our bad form where the board presented him with a list of on-going concerns. Nothing has indicated he's jumping at the chance to add to his time here after that.

Speculation begins: I wouldn't be surprised if the board replace him in the summer, as an outgoing manager rarely inspires great displays of player commitment.

Plus we have a new direction in the works that K billy has told me about. But that's for him to comment on, not me. 3/3 posts

to accept a " Gentleman's word "....you have to be working with Gentlemen.

Who would you more likely trust to buy a usede car fro,m Levy or Poch*?

*car description and sales particulars provided by a translator.

Spurs also need to keep their best players and their manager. It would be surprising to see them win the league next season.

Spurs will not sell Kane, Dier, Toby, Vertonghen, Alli, Demebele or let Poch go

With a club like us, there's only two types of squad, either one that has good players that will always be picked apart by richer clubs, or a squad that is filled with mediocre players that will stay loyal because they aren't likely to do much better.

Like Leicester?

Like Leicester?

Look, Leicester's season is a once in a generation sort of stuff... It is annoying that we (and im sure other clubs too) will always use Leicester's achievements as a benchmark, and rightly so, we should aspire for the title.

But the way they have done it so was a complete fluke- everything fell in the right place for them, the injuries, the luck- no point comparing us to them.

Look, Leicester's season is a once in a generation sort of stuff... It is annoying that we (and im sure other clubs too) will always use Leicester's achievements as a benchmark, and rightly so, we should aspire for the title.

But the way they have done it so was a complete fluke- everything fell in the right place for them, the injuries, the luck- no point comparing us to them.

You can put Leicester's success down to a lot of things that might be difficult to repeat; however, the last thing it was, was a complete fluke. Teams don't outperform everyone else for 38 games and win the title at a canter by lucking out. That's a virtual contradiction in terms. But that's par for the course on here.

You can put Leicester's success down to a lot of things that might be difficult to repeat; however, the last thing it was, was a complete fluke. Teams don't outperform everyone else for 38 games and win the title at a canter by lucking out. That's a virtual contradiction in terms. But that's par for the course on here.

Its ability plus luck. Smaller clubs often have good teams but lack squad depth and fall away as the season progresses. Leicester have an excellent team but they have also been lucky with injuries and reduced competition from the 'top clubs'. I imagine (i havent bothered to do it) that if you totaleld up the points accumulated by the top four clubs this year it would be less than in previous seasons.

Its ability plus luck. Smaller clubs often have good teams but lack squad depth and fall away as the season progresses. Leicester have an excellent team but they have also been lucky with injuries and reduced competition from the 'top clubs'. I imagine (i havent bothered to do it) that if you totaleld up the points accumulated by the top four clubs this year it would be less than in previous seasons.

I don't disagree with that, though that characterisation falls well short of calling it a complete fluke. Whether the reduced competition from the top clubs is a blip or a trend is the most interesting question. It's worth remembering the top clubs were also largely **** the season before, though this summer is likely to see some pretty serious rearmament. As for injuries, Leicester were fortunate, though it's worth pointing out that the likes of Vardy did play through significant problems (arguably enough to keep others out of games), so the idea they had a magical clean bill of health is a tad simplistic.

I don't disagree with that, though that characterisation falls well short of calling it a complete fluke. Whether the reduced competition from the top clubs is a blip or a trend is the most interesting question. It's worth remembering the top clubs were also largely **** the season before, though this summer is likely to see some pretty serious rearmament. As for injuries, Leicester were fortunate, though it's worth pointing out that the likes of Vardy did play through significant problems (arguably enough to keep others out of games), so the idea they had a magical clean bill of health is a tad simplistic.

Sure. A very good team in favourable circumstances.

Good to see a piece by strongarm in the national press :adore:

Another one in the eye to the clowns that were belittling his journalistic aspirations, calling him a Alex Crook lackey. But then again they have been getting a lot wrong recently :lol:

You don't win league titles by luck. You win them by being the best team over a season.

My point to the original post was that Leicester are neither mediocre, or will have their side picked apart by the 'big' clubs.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/10274640/ronald-koeman-proud-of-southampton-after-tottenham-victory

Positive noises from Ron;

I'm proud to be manager of Southampton

Everyone wants to be part of this

Let's hope so, it would be brilliant to buck the trend and have him at SFC for a good while, I want Saints to win something with, and for, Ronald Koeman!

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/10274640/ronald-koeman-proud-of-southampton-after-tottenham-victory

Positive noises from Ron;

I'm proud to be manager of Southampton

Everyone wants to be part of this

Makes me think he's off.......sounds weird I know but there was something emotional and almost reflective about the way he said it. I hope I'm wrong.

Makes me think he's off.......sounds weird I know but there was something emotional and almost reflective about the way he said it. I hope I'm wrong.

"I'm proud to be manager of Southampton. Everyone wants to be part of this" makes me more confident than "I'm not proud to be manager of Southampton. No-one wants to be part of this."

"I'm proud to be manager of Southampton. Everyone wants to be part of this" makes me more confident than "I'm not proud to be manager of Southampton. No-one wants to be part of this."

I can see both points but on reflection I would tend to feel this is more positive than negative

You don't win league titles by luck. You win them by being the best team over a season.

Very true Saints never seem to be consistently good losing to Bournemouth and being awful for seven or eight weeks around Christmas cost us dear

...or, given who we'd just beaten, it may have been a little poke at Pochettino who obviously wasn't proud to be here and quickly fooked off after a little wobble to the 'plan'.

We're going to struggle to keep hold of him for too much longer, accepted, but what an impact he's had on this club.