Ronald Koeman...Will he? Won't he?

Saint Garrett

Hard to predict. If Barca took a punt on their current manager (he was not proven at that level at all), it's not inconceivable that Koeman could get the job sometime in next few years.

You might want to talk to Batman about how his style isn't suited to Barcelona... :)

Something needs to be sorted as you see the same thing where every team who's manager is not going to be there the following year.

There's a drop in form and also it makes recruiting much harder. Who will join in the summer if the manager they sign for is not likely to be there for more than one season.

It's imperative we clarify Ron's situation this summer. Going into his last 12 months with nothing sorted simply does not work for anyone.

Something needs to be sorted as you see the same thing where every team who's manager is not going to be there the following year.

There's a drop in form and also it makes recruiting much harder. Who will join in the summer if the manager they sign for is not likely to be there for more than one season.

It's imperative we clarify Ron's situation this summer. Going into his last 12 months with nothing sorted simply does not work for anyone.

Oh it works for one person don't worry about that..... and that person would be Ronald Koeman.

Think we need to act tough on this and not be strung along like in the past, give him a deadline to sign, by say the end of the season, if not signed put him on gardening leave for the rest of his contract and find someone else before pre season, hopefully the club have contingency plans drawn up already.

Won't we don't need is the usual crap about we're confident he'll sign and we'll talk at the end of next season followed by shock when he doesn't sign and panic as we start searching for a manager. Followed by the usual players being signed at the end of the transfer window, then 6 months as players and manager get used to each other.

But then if an idiot from Millbrook can think of that, I'm sure the club have worked it out.

Koeman will never get the Barca job. It's as likely as Mark Hughes taking over Man Utd. Probably stay for one more year, then take over the Dutch national team or som other European mid size club.

Wasn't there that chap before Van Gaal - David somebody?

I think it isn't impossible, granted won't be his next step but somewhere down the line.

Koeman may well stay here, but I think the likely option is a 2 year contract extension taking him up to summer 2019, not more than that and less is more of a statement of '1 more year to find a job', rather than 2 where he can actually achieve his strategy.

if he leaves we're a bit up the creek what with all these obscure international players that speak his language having been brought in. whether he was the glue that keeps them all together I don't know. it seems he's more involved in the running of the club than some of our previous managers, though, a bit more ingrained . hopefully him leaving won't leave too big a hole

He'll go to Arsenal at the end of next season when Wenger retires.

I also think this is not outside the realms of possibility.

Yep, and with a modicum of success there, the perfect stepping stone to the Barcelona job.

Both manager's contracts are up next summer and as long as Ron has one more decent season with us he seems an ideal fit for Arsenal.

Would love to see him stay but aint gonna happen, he needs a step up from us before going to Barca.

he will stay for next season and then move on... I seriously doubt that he would leave Southampton for another Premier League club.... my guess is that he will go back to Holland or maybe even manage in the French League ... can not see him wanting the Dutch national job or managing in Spain...

Koeman presser today was quite interesting.

He basically saying its hard for a team like Southampton to be consistent across the whole season and that we are doing well to be established in the PL.

Then mentioned the ambition of the players and Manager is to be higher and it depends what the ambition of the Club is as to whether that is achievable.

He also said we are continually making progress he thinks.

Koeman presser today was quite interesting.

He basically saying its hard for a team like Southampton to be consistent across the whole season and that we are doing well to be established in the PL.

Then mentioned the ambition of the players and Manager is to be higher and it depends what the ambition of the Club is as to whether that is achievable.

He also said we are continually making progress he thinks.

Lot of managers outside the big six say that ....... Bet they are all really ****ed with Leicester

Edited by doddisalegend

What if the club aren't that bothered about him signing a new deal? You can't help but think they're casting an eye towards what's happening at Spuds and think that Poch's way of coaching got more out of our players, and thinking is there anyone else like that out there?

Despite Koeman matching or exceeding mopo's achievements at saints?

I think he's an honest man and I would have thought when he said "He'll talk about a new contract at the end of the season" He meant it!

If he tells the Club he doesn't want to sign a new one then that gives them a full year to find an ideal replacement.

I also think he is young enough to sign a new contract and still go on to fulfill he managerial dreams!

Sounds like he wants to see if the club's ambition is is manifested in transfer funds made available this summer.

Which is a bit unfair on his part. Koeman has been pretty well backed by the board IMO plenty of players in the squad know that were clearly his choices Tadic, Pelle, Claise, VVD and Mane.

^ Ronald comes across as very decent and a man of his word.

I think Poch --> Barca is on the cards at some point, not Koeman --> Barca.

If Poch wins the League with Spurs this season he will be elevated into the league of top level managers and big clubs like Man U will start to consider him. I think he would be an excellent fit for ManU given the quality of kids that they have in their academy and the style of football that their fans want to see. He'd also be very good at Real Madrid, although they like to buy galacticos who might be less willing to put in the hard work that Poch demands. Barca is a possibility depending on whether he is considered a 'rival' given his history with Espanyol.

I thin Koeman will stay for next season and will sign a new contract if we can assure him that we will continue to invest.

I don't think that RK sees the PL as neccesarily the best league in the world, or the best league for him to be in. I think he could easily take another job that would make us all scratch our heads and wonder what the hell he is thinking.

I would be suprised if his next job after Saints is for anyone other than a PL team.

He probably knows that for a shot at Barca he would need more of a European record which he could get with a bigger PL team.

Doubt he is bothered by any other leagues at this stage and its not the right time for the NL job.

M

I think he's an honest man and I would have thought when he said "He'll talk about a new contract at the end of the season" He meant it!

If he tells the Club he doesn't want to sign a new one then that gives them a full year to find an ideal replacement.

I also think he is young enough to sign a new contract and still go on to fulfill he managerial dreams!

I think you will find that we have been informed on more than one occasion we have been told that these things are always well in hand on a continuous basis. On this basis we would already have our short list to hand so it wouldn't take a year....

Someone suggested RK is attracting interest from Everton which made me laugh out loud for some reason .....

Hilarious !

I sincerely hope Koeman stays but if he does go, then I'd like to see us get Pellegrini in.

We need a TOP, TOP manager in to really put us on the Map or we're gonna be another Stoke City.

Koeman seems a very loyal manager to me, but he doesn't have to be loyal beyond the end of his current contract and even that only has one year left on it.

Why the club hasn't wrapped it up is beyond me, from the outside looking in it seems to me they are looking elsewhere.

Hope that really isn't the case or they know something that we don't ....or it would be a serious slap in the face to RK who's been decent for us.

I sincerely hope Koeman stays but if he does go, then I'd like to see us get Pellegrini in.

We need a TOP, TOP manager in to really put us on the Map or we're gonna be another Stoke City.

Koeman seems a very loyal manager to me, but he doesn't have to be loyal beyond the end of his current contract and even that only has one year left on it.

Why the club hasn't wrapped it up is beyond me, from the outside looking in it seems to me they are looking elsewhere.

Hope that really isn't the case or they know something that we don't ....or it would be a serious slap in the face to RK who's been decent for us.

How old are you?

Have you actually got a problem mate?..

Because you're following me around on threads like a bad smell.

Don't actually see what that question has to do with anything tbh.

Considering I don't have a clue who you are that is very unlikely.

The question is you seem a clueless fan more suited to supporting Man Utd or similar. Someone on the map like

For what it's worth i think this is the likely scenario.

Koeman is an honest guy and would see out his last season with us unless he has a personal agreement with the club that he could go if the Barcelona job was offered.

Now whether he signs an extension to his current contract or not depends on several things from his perspective.

1/ Has another BIG club shown an interest in him and muted they will take him at the end of next season knowing he will honour his current contract

2/ Are our board actually wanting to extend his contract....personally i hope so

3/ If the board are wanting to keep him are they prepared to back him even further (as much as Koeman wants)

I think by the end of this summer the board will know exactly whats going on and whether RK is staying beyond next season or not. I fully expect they will be making plans for the next manager in then IF not already.

Sometimes i don't think us fans give the board as much credit as it deserves.....the club is no longer run like some Mickey mouse outfit as we have previously experienced.

Considering I don't have a clue who you are that is very unlikely.

The question is you seem a clueless fan more suited to supporting Man Utd or similar. Someone on the map like

You need to get your wallet out out and go and buy a season ticket for Stoke FC.

They would suit you right down to the ground.

Can't quite believe the unambition and willingness to settle for mediocrity as what you're displaying right now.

lol..just..lol

Sorry for wanting a TOP manager instead of our usual strategy of "unearth the next big thing" just for a big club to come in and go "oh look, there's our next manager" and we be right bang back where we started.

Instead of signing a Top manager with the b*llocks to actually say "I've been there done that..not interested ...I want a new challenge". (hint Rafa/Newcastle)

Seriously, we must save other clubs an absolute fortune in recruitment.

But nope..lets keep churning and burning, squad and managers and never EVER buck the trend of winning anything of any sort of note since 1976.

Because until that changes the grass will always be greener on the other side and if you can't see that then I suggest you got to specsavers.

If you don't think it's time we had a TOP manager prepared to actually go beyond 2 years then I'd have to ask you to tell yourself to go and jump off the Itchen Bridge...because one LESS fan like you might actually change things at SFC.

Personally..I hope Koeman stays, I really do.

But like I say..just go and support Stoke. They're right up your street and you can wallow in mediocrity.

I'd be disappoointed if he viewed them as a step up.

That's true at the moment, but it depends on what is going to be pumped into the club which is what charlie was suggesting. He might view them as a potential leicester scenario, this season has thrown open all sorts of possibilities.

You need to get your wallet out out and go and buy a season ticket for Stoke FC.

Can't quite believe the unambition and willingness to settle for mediocrity as what you're displaying right now.

lol..just..lol

Sorry for wanting a TOP manager instead of our usual strategy of "unearth the next big thing" just for a big club to come in and go "oh look, there's our next manager" and we be right bang back where we started.

Instead of signing a Top manager with the b*llocks to actually say "I've been there done that..not interested ...I want a new challenge". (hint Rafa/Newcastle)

But nope..lets keep churning and burning, squad and managers and never EVER buck the trend of winning anything of any sort of note since 1976.

Because until that changes the grass will always be greener on the other side and if you can't see that then I suggest you got to specsavers.

If you don't think it's time we had a TOP manager prepared to actually go beyond 2 years then I'd have to ask you to tell yourself to go and jump off the Itchen Bridge...because one LESS fan like you might actually change things at SFC.

But like I say..just go and support Stoke. They're right up your street and you can wallow in mediocrity.

Pass on my regards to ALWAYS_SFC.

The next five year plan has been presented to him and he has been asked whether he wants to undertake it. The question should really be, if he isn't interested in undertaking it and going to be off at the end of next season when his contract runs out, shouldn't we be looking for someone who does want to do it now, rather than wait a year?

That's true at the moment, but it depends on what is going to be pumped into the club which is what charlie was suggesting. He might view them as a potential leicester scenario, this season has thrown open all sorts of possibilities.

As a potential Leicester scenario I assume you mean Everton are planning to avoid relegation, are going to pick up a few bargain basement players, appoint a manager who lost to the Faroe islands and then watch as a player they bought in the championship plays the season of his life.....?

lol..just..lol

Ok about 12 then.