Post-Match Reaction: SAINTS 4-1 Crystal Palace

Saint-Armstrong

MotM vs Crystal Palace (Home 2015/16)  

251 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Crystal Palace (Home 2015/16)

• Forster
    • Bertrand
    • Martina
    • van Dijk
    • Fonte
    • Wanyama
    • Romeu
    • Davis
    • Tadić
    • Mané
    • Long
    • Pellè
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Austin

Just about the best afternoon and evening of football ever. Love this club. And my second club is Plymouth, so how sweet was that at Home Park. Another year in the wilderness for the Skates. Wembley for Argyle. Just need to sort Rons contract and have a good sit down with Big Vic and Mane to make sure they are on the bus over the close season and no dummy spitting like last close season. Can't wait for a decent crack at Europa. Hard luck West Ham and Spurs. You both thoroughly deserved your outcomes.

Unbelievable season and well done to all at SMS for givining us so much pleasure. Had a spell watching Plymouth when I lived there when Dave Smith was manager and that was exciting too. Got indoors just as Argyle scored the winner to beat the Skates. What a superb day.

Man U game Tues... that actually really helps us. They can't get fourth now. So with the Final just a few days away, unlikely to have either top team selection or 100% commitment from players. Bournemouth could nick this and give us 5th.

Trouble is the game is meaningless for Bournemouth too and they should literally be on the beach - they have had to postpone holidays.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Couldn't make it yesterday unfortunately but my old man said Vic and Mane didn't do the lap of honour. Is that right or can I out it down to his age and confusion setting in ?

They were there and Mane milked adulation from the Itchen corner after he scored. He loved it.

Great season, fantastic as well to finish above West Ham, Chelsea and Liverpool. If Bournemouth can sneak a win we could add Man Utd to that list as well.

3 pts off a Champions League place, 3 pts.

Over to you Board, this is the greatest position this club has probably been in for 20 years, sign Ron up, sign the players up and get us a transfer kitty to push on.

(Have to LOL as well at Spurs, finishing below Arsenal again after that season, also liking the bitter West Ham fan)

We have of course been 2nd in the old Division, I believe. Does anyone have the team sheet of the last fixture then? It would be interesting to compare them with today's heroes.

We have of course been 2nd in the old Division, I believe. Does anyone have the team sheet of the last fixture then? It would be interesting to compare them with today's heroes.

Shilton, Mick Mills, Ivan Golac, Rueban Agboola, Ken Armstrong, Mark Wright, Nick Holmes, Steve Moran, David Puckett, David Armstrong, Danny Wallace.

Normally Frank Wothington was Centre Forward, he only scored 4 but his experience alongside Steve Moran and Danny Wallace was immense. Moran got 21 goals and Wallace 11 plus 15 from midfielder David Armstrong. Stevie Williams missed most of the run in at the end of the season returning not fully fit for the semi final loss to Everton. 2nd in the league and narrowly missing out on a cup final V Watford - a gnats **** away from The Double!!

I've supported Saints since January of 1957 and in that time have seen Many ups and downs.My best moments have been the FA Cup win over Manure and the outcome today.Thankyou Players,Ronald and staff Katrina and family but most of all fellow Saints fans.

Edited by hasper57saint
miss spelling

It was just one of those truly magical days that will live long in the memory because incredibly several half-chances to improve our league position all came to pass. It was a shame that we couldn't cement 5th place on the day because Bournemouth still have to beat Man U, but if anything their chances of doing so are increased by the postponement of the match, because United will have less time to prepare for the Cup Final, so might be less inclined to risk strong tackles in case of injuries to key players.

And then when it seemed as if the day couldn't get any better, the Skates were consigned to one more season in the fourth division basement of league football, beaten by their rival Naval city Plymouth in the last minute of play. The schadenfreude was really running strong yesterday, because apart from the disaster befalling the Skates, the North London yobbos were thrashed by a relegated team and having had the chance to even win the season a few weeks back, were overtaken on the last day by their deadly rivals Arsenal. Robbie Savage twisted the knife by stating that they had come third in a two-horse race. In addition, we finished comfortably above Liverpool as it turned out and there is still the possibility that by a long shot, Man U could finish up with nothing if they lose in the FA Cup and having lost the chance of CL football by finishing behind their City rivals.

Whilst overjoyed with the finishing position which carries on our rise through the division once again, the thought of what might have been achieved without the hiccups along the way when our form dipped is a cause for quiet reflection, but it doesn't dampen my euphoria.

The way that the match developed could not have been better had it been scripted. Far better that it started nervously with some pretty boring football because both sides pretty well cancelled each other out, but our goal came at the best possible time just before half time, allowing Koeman to motivate the players and urge some additional commitment from them. When he substituted Romeo off for Pelle, it appeared to be a mistake, as we lost that extra bite in midfield and there was a nervous passage of play where they began to dominate and threaten our defence. However, as has happened a few times this season, Koeman's substitute then scored. We were far more settled when Koeman brought on J W-P to tighten up the midfield and we pressed on from then putting Palace once more onto the back foot. It was almost inevitable due to Sod's Law that their consolation goal came from Puncheon, who since he joined them has shown some real ability and it was a wonderful strike.

Having scored three goals, our confidence was sky high and with the lift from the crowd, we played some exciting football to end the match on a crescendo with Davis' goal. Looking at the poll votes, it is very close between several players, demonstrating that it was a real team effort and when we play as a unit like that, there are few teams who can beat us. There were a few nail-biting minutes at the end because Stoke were beating West Ham and the match had already gone 7 minutes into extra time. Once the final whistle had been blown there, it was time for us to party and show our appreciation for the Manager and players for giving us such a wonderfully entertaining season.

If we could keep Koeman, Wanyama and Mane on board, we have an opportunity to break into the CL next season. Even if Wanyama and Mane do leave, I have every confidence in the Board unearthing a diamond or two that have not been on the radar of our rivals and that they will prove to be effective replacements, defying the opinions of the pundits who say that we cannot keep on doing this year after year.

It's not meaningless for Bournemouth. It is worth £3 or so. Not a lot to some clubs, a lot more meaningful to others.

I realise that Bournemouth are not the richest club around but surely 3 quid doesn't mean that much to them ??

:):):)

Having watched MOTD last night I'm hadn't realised only did Newcastle spank the yobs, they did it with 10 men...... I reckon Benitez may stay there.

This delay to the Man U/ Bournemouth game works in our favour - they really need to win which presents a nice dilemma for Van

Gaal.

Having watched MOTD last night I'm hadn't realised only did Newcastle spank the yobs, they did it with 10 men...... I reckon Benitez may stay there.

This delay to the Man U/ Bournemouth game works in our favour - they really need to win which presents a nice dilemma for Van

Gaal.

He'll field a total second string side - they've already failed to reach the top four. They only need a point to finish above us but will care far more about the cup than finishing fifth over sixth. What they might have is a team full of enthusiastic youngsters looking to impress, and we know how good some of their youth are.

Edited by DuncanRG

It was just one of those truly magical days that will live long in the memory because incredibly several half-chances to improve our league position all came to pass. It was a shame that we couldn't cement 5th place on the day because Bournemouth still have to beat Man U, but if anything their chances of doing so are increased by the postponement of the match, because United will have less time to prepare for the Cup Final, so might be less inclined to risk strong tackles in case of injuries to key players.

And then when it seemed as if the day couldn't get any better, the Skates were consigned to one more season in the fourth division basement of league football, beaten by their rival Naval city Plymouth in the last minute of play. The schadenfreude was really running strong yesterday, because apart from the disaster befalling the Skates, the North London yobbos were thrashed by a relegated team and having had the chance to even win the season a few weeks back, were overtaken on the last day by their deadly rivals Arsenal. Robbie Savage twisted the knife by stating that they had come third in a two-horse race. In addition, we finished comfortably above Liverpool as it turned out and there is still the possibility that by a long shot, Man U could finish up with nothing if they lose in the FA Cup and having lost the chance of CL football by finishing behind their City rivals.

Whilst overjoyed with the finishing position which carries on our rise through the division once again, the thought of what might have been achieved without the hiccups along the way when our form dipped is a cause for quiet reflection, but it doesn't dampen my euphoria.

The way that the match developed could not have been better had it been scripted. Far better that it started nervously with some pretty boring football because both sides pretty well cancelled each other out, but our goal came at the best possible time just before half time, allowing Koeman to motivate the players and urge some additional commitment from them. When he substituted Romeo off for Pelle, it appeared to be a mistake, as we lost that extra bite in midfield and there was a nervous passage of play where they began to dominate and threaten our defence. However, as has happened a few times this season, Koeman's substitute then scored. We were far more settled when Koeman brought on J W-P to tighten up the midfield and we pressed on from then putting Palace once more onto the back foot. It was almost inevitable due to Sod's Law that their consolation goal came from Puncheon, who since he joined them has shown some real ability and it was a wonderful strike.

Having scored three goals, our confidence was sky high and with the lift from the crowd, we played some exciting football to end the match on a crescendo with Davis' goal. Looking at the poll votes, it is very close between several players, demonstrating that it was a real team effort and when we play as a unit like that, there are few teams who can beat us. There were a few nail-biting minutes at the end because Stoke were beating West Ham and the match had already gone 7 minutes into extra time. Once the final whistle had been blown there, it was time for us to party and show our appreciation for the Manager and players for giving us such a wonderfully entertaining season.

If we could keep Koeman, Wanyama and Mane on board, we have an opportunity to break into the CL next season. Even if Wanyama and Mane do leave, I have every confidence in the Board unearthing a diamond or two that have not been on the radar of our rivals and that they will prove to be effective replacements, defying the opinions of the pundits who say that we cannot keep on doing this year after year.

Magnificent post

I think Mane had family/friends at the back of Block 3 and he was pointing and waving towards them after the goal. Pretty sure Wanyama's family or friends were up at the back there as well and then they went down and hung around the tunnel area on the pitch after the game.

I think Mane had family/friends at the back of Block 3 and he was pointing and waving towards them after the goal. Pretty sure Wanyama's family or friends were up at the back there as well and then they went down and hung around the tunnel area on the pitch after the game.

Doh...this means nothing without the quote but it related to post 108 (which I now see was already answered earlier)

Great result on Sunday.

Just came over from Australia to visit my old man for his 70th. The get together included my old man (Pompey), my brother (Spurs) and my brother in law (Liverpool).

Couldn't have enjoyed it more!!!! :lol:

The cherry really was the Skates f#*&ing up in injury time.

Great result on Sunday.

Just came over from Australia to visit my old man for his 70th. The get together included my old man (Pompey), my brother (Spurs) and my brother in law (Liverpool).

Couldn't have enjoyed it more!!!! :lol:

The cherry really was the Skates f#*&ing up in injury time.

So when your old man said be a pompey fan - what did you say?