Europa League 2016/2017 (Died 8/12/2016)

ScepticalStan

I bought my ticket on Monday morning over a week ago, had a membership but no history (bought membership just for this game, as thought that alone would qualify me :mcinnes:) as used tickets from other friends when I can attend as I play football on Saturdays still. However, I just bought a Milan home leg ticket... went back in straight away and bought the Milan away leg! Easy-peasy, then sorted flights and hotel within a few minutes. :smug:

Smart move, as the Milan and Be'er Sheva home games have been on the system since just after the "bundle" was released, which puts them comfortably within the parameters of matches which you can still buy AND which qualify as a purchase before the cut-off period (unlike Sunderland League Cup, Burnley etc).

So, there's the workaround, "no purchase history" people, buy a Be'er Sheva or Inter home ticket and you're eligible for Inter away.*

*no guarantees, just going from what lloydie said, all financial loss to be laid at his door, all rights reserved, coffee may be hot, etc.

The elephant in the room here is hooliganism. I can't see why any yobs unconnected to Saints would want to tag along with 300 Saints going to Israel where they'd stand out like a sore thumb and wouldn't expect much trouble to begin with, but I can completely see why they might want to get involved with a trip to the San Siro and Inter's Ultras where they can blend in with 7000 others. It's probably just the club covering themselves in the event of trouble so no-one can say they weren't bothered about who they sold tickets to.

The idea that people who want to be involved in bother don't have season tickets or away histories is laughable. I'd imagine our more "active" supporters are probably in the top 1% of our support, and almost certainly were out in Israel.

The idea that people who want to be involved in bother don't have season tickets or away histories is laughable. I'd imagine our more "active" supporters are probably in the top 1% of our support, and almost certainly were out in Israel.

I'm not talking about Saints fans, I'm talking about general football-following yobs who pitch up at other locations where their team isn't playing - it's a hackneyed concept, but you still get the odd few. Not a recent example, but Cardiff's nobbers were in with the England yobs in Charleroi in 2000 for instance. Chances of doing that are now hugely limited by ticketing restrictions, and for some reason people who just want to fight near a football match get put off by people making things difficult for them.

The point isn't even that it is likely to happen, it's that the club don't want to look like they've contributed to it happening if there's an incident.

And yes, there were some known Saints nobheads in Be'er Sheva.

I fell foul of this 'anomaly' a few years ago. I always used to buy tickets for me and my son using my customer number (just seemed like the logical thing to do at the time... i.e. why have two numbers when one will do...?).

There then came a game where I couldn't get two tickets because "purchase history" was required for both and from that moment on I simply set up a new customer number for my son and used both to buy tickets from there on in.

The difference between then and now is that I was able to persuade the ticket office to apply some common sense to the situation as my purchase pattern for me and my son was obvious from looking at my history. I guess this time it is out of the club's hands though as I assume they are having to follow UEFA and/or Italian authority rules to the letter in that only people that the club can prove to be 'genuine' fans are sold tickets. The hallmarks of the usual sledgehammer to crack a nut by the jobsworths in authority land.

This is it isn't just 'genuine' fans when people get given corporate tickets. Some probably don't even support saints and may never have been to a single game.

Easy as a regular internet user etc to say that and yes, I agree as times go on people will be more savvy about this. However my father in law to be for example, he never looks at the official site or focus. He reads the Echo and listens to Solent. He relies on me getting tickets (he does 4/ 5 games a season and has done since the 60's) as thinks the TO are useless for whatever reason. I'm absolutely certain there will be literally thousands of Saints fans like him (and when I say say fans, I mean supporters of the club that may or may not be as "engaged" with the club as you or I).

Common sense would dictate anyone with an SO post code or proof they have been to games in the recent past would be added to the database and allowed tickets. Or at least allow ST holders to take a +1 (after everyone else has had a chance to buy tickets).

Totally agree

Easy as a regular internet user etc to say that and yes, I agree as times go on people will be more savvy about this. However my father in law to be for example, he never looks at the official site or focus. He reads the Echo and listens to Solent. He relies on me getting tickets (he does 4/ 5 games a season and has done since the 60's) as thinks the TO are useless for whatever reason. I'm absolutely certain there will be literally thousands of Saints fans like him (and when I say say fans, I mean supporters of the club that may or may not be as "engaged" with the club as you or I).

Common sense would dictate anyone with an SO post code or proof they have been to games in the recent past would be added to the database and allowed tickets. Or at least allow ST holders to take a +1 (after everyone else has had a chance to buy tickets).

You can easily register your father in law on his behalf so he has a customer number and then allocate all tickets you get for him to it. I do this for my Dad who also isn't really engaged with all the online purchasing stuff. He has little to no knowledge that this even happens but at least he has a history.

You can easily register your father in law on his behalf so he has a customer number and then allocate all tickets you get for him to it. I do this for my Dad who also isn't really engaged with all the online purchasing stuff. He has little to no knowledge that this even happens but at least he has a history.

Good shout that, will get on and sort. Cheers

Reckon there'll be a fair few on that list! They've left it a bit late haven't they?

Turning into a bit of a farce this.

It's not a farce at all. The requirements were very clearly stated right from the start and it's only those who are desperately trying to find a loophole and ignore the criteria who are causing problems and making work for the club.

The tickets are so readily available now to anyone with even the most basic evidence of being a Saints fan I have no sympathy with those trying to get on a glory trip to the San Siro.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

It's not a farce at all. The requirements were very clearly stated right from the start and it's only those who are desperately trying to find a loophole and ignore the criteria who are causing problems and making work for the club.

The tickets are so readily available now to anyone with even the most basic evidence of being a Saints fan I have no sympathy with those trying to get on a glory trip to the San Siro.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I see your point, but people were always going to do this if they could have a chance, the farce is there will probably be empty seats for those tickets that will be cancelled, that other people could've bought, as they've left checking it to the last minute.

If they'd locked the name down and given everyone an opportunity to make sure their name on the system matched their passport, then it wouldn't be an issue.

Its been poorly managed and left open to abuse. They didn't make it clear from the very beginning purchase history would be necessary for everyone, and haven't provided a reason why. Its also fair to make an assumption that as it wasn't necessary for Hapoel it wouldn't be for this game.

They also stated the 5k allocation would be final and maximum amount they could get. Fair play to them to getting the extra allocation but stating that also encouraged people to try and bend the rules.

For the record, I'm not in this group but I know people who are.

I see your point, but people were always going to do this if they could have a chance, the farce is there will probably be empty seats for those tickets that will be cancelled, that other people could've bought, as they've left checking it to the last minute.

Your argument loses a bit of weight when you consider there will be empty seats anyway - we're not looking like selling out the second allocation.

They didn't need to make it clear from the beginning that purchase history was necessary because they were only selling to ST holders with over 5 aways to begin with.

Especially as there were 50 - 100 Israeli's in the saints end last week. I wonder if these have purchase history? There was even one lad in a Notts Forrest shirt.... Wan*er

On the Israeli's subject, nice to see the club (I believe it was from the Saints foundation) were handing them free merchandise after the game....

I've got no idea how those locals managed to get in our end last week. Doubt they bought through Saints though. As for that attention seeking pr*ck in the Forest shirt..

There were a number of Israelis but nowhere near 50-100. And as for the guy in the Forest shirt, did you talk to him? Really nice bloke, traveling with his brother in law and has been to many Saints games with him. Had a lot drinks with them and the Northern Saints.

So you should have bought his tickets against a customer number for him. By the sound of it, you should have been well aware of that recommendation the club has made loud and clear for a long time.

There were a number of Israelis but nowhere near 50-100. And as for the guy in the Forest shirt, did you talk to him? Really nice bloke, traveling with his brother in law and has been to many Saints games with him. Had a lot drinks with them and the Northern Saints.

Why wear a Forest shirt though?

Just for the record, you can be a "really nice bloke" AND an "attention seeking pr*ck" too...

I'd say there were a handful of Israelis, there was a guy in the row behind us in some kind of military uniform, he was local but had a current Saints shirt too.

Just for the record, you can be a "really nice bloke" AND an "attention seeking pr*ck" too...

I'd say there were a handful of Israelis, there was a guy in the row behind us in some kind of military uniform, he was local but had a current Saints shirt too.

In my book, I wouldn't consider the latter could be the former, but just my opinion.

If you mean the guy near the front, he was from London and is English. He was serving, voluntarily, in some part of Israeli army.

If they'd locked the name down and given everyone an opportunity to make sure their name on the system matched their passport, then it wouldn't be an issue.

Its been poorly managed and left open to abuse. They didn't make it clear from the very beginning purchase history would be necessary for everyone, and haven't provided a reason why. Its also fair to make an assumption that as it wasn't necessary for Hapoel it wouldn't be for this game.

They also stated the 5k allocation would be final and maximum amount they could get. Fair play to them to getting the extra allocation but stating that also encouraged people to try and bend the rules.

For the record, I'm not in this group but I know people who are.

It's been far from a farce tbf and at no point have the club encouraged anyone to bend the rules.

Good to have met you. Hope you had a good trip home.

Obviously, but he's not at a Forest game.

Just an attention seeker I guess.

I managed to squeeze in Wolves v Norwich on Saturday without wearing a Saints shirt, and I think I may have something of a reputation around here for being a bit obsessed with them... But wearing a different team's shirt to a game is just weird,. Even if you're just a football tourist, it's got nothing to do with your club, you're not the focal point, so if you're going to go, going "normal" is normal.

Well, having been to Israel the Forest fan will have a purchase history so will be fine for a ticket to Milan then!

The bit that baffled me was the saints chap who went down and gave a load of verbal abuse to the Forest fan for being disrespectful (not the words he used) to Saints. Realised no-one else was bothered and skulked back off again. Bizarre!

Well, having been to Israel the Forest fan will have a purchase history so will be fine for a ticket to Milan then!

The bit that baffled me was the saints chap who went down and gave a load of verbal abuse to the Forest fan for being disrespectful (not the words he used) to Saints. Realised no-one else was bothered and skulked back off again. Bizarre!

What's probably more bizarre is how he got a ticket in the first place, surely it must mean he already had a purchase history? If not, how is casual Forest fan allowed to buy one for a European Saints game but a genuine casual Saints fan not? Also, UEFA rules must have been broken by the Israelis by letting non-Saints fans into the away section which could have caused a volatile situation? This would have backfired on SFC if there was trouble.

There seems to be double-standards at play here.

What's probably more bizarre is how he got a ticket in the first place, surely it must mean he already had a purchase history? If not, how is casual Forest fan allowed to buy one for a European Saints game but a genuine casual Saints fan not? Also, UEFA rules must have been broken by the Israelis by letting non-Saints fans into the away section which could have caused a volatile situation? This would have backfired on SFC if there was trouble.

There seems to be double-standards at play here.

You didn't need to have a previous purchase history to buy a ticket in Isreal

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

You didn't need to have a previous purchase history to buy a ticket in Isreal

OK...but you have to ask then, why do you need one for Milan when there's so many tickets available?

The bit about the Israelis letting anyone into the Saints section should still raise questions from SFC.

OK...but you have to ask then, why do you need one for Milan when there's so many tickets available?

The bit about the Israelis letting anyone into the Saints section should still raise questions from SFC.

That's the question a lot of people have been asking but the club seem to not want to share the answer

I believe it is a requirement from the Italian Police, and thus Inter Milan, to stop random English fans turning up for a ruck.

I believe it is a requirement from the Italian Police, and thus Inter Milan, to stop random English fans turning up for a ruck.

Then that needs to be communicated. However still don't see why they can't sell tickets on general sale and still take passport numbers etc. That way they'll all have full clarity on whose buying tickets.

Then that needs to be communicated. However still don't see why they can't sell tickets on general sale and still take passport numbers etc. That way they'll all have full clarity on whose buying tickets.

Exactly. Perhaps Italian authorities have different rules on away/European tickets, but you don't need any kind of purchase history to buy home end tickets, just matching id, for the name they put on your ticket.

Just thinking out loud, but the fact that bitter rivals Inter and AC Milan both play at San Siro must mean that there are some pretty strict controls in place to properly identify "home" fans for any game there. Italy has its own hooligan problems.

I doubt whether anybody would be stoopid enough to apply reduced safety criteria for a European game in today's blame culture society. I expect those rules are applied to every Inter home game, to prevent AC Milan idiots ambushing them, and our game will be no different. It's not intended to keep Saints fans out, it's intended to keep AC Milan fans out. That's a good thing, because otherwise we'll get the blame if they cause trouble.

Just thinking out loud, but the fact that bitter rivals Inter and AC Milan both play at San Siro must mean that there are some pretty strict controls in place to properly identify "home" fans for any game there. Italy has its own hooligan problems.

I doubt whether anybody would be stoopid enough to apply reduced safety criteria for a European game in today's blame culture society. I expect those rules are applied to every Inter home game, to prevent AC Milan idiots ambushing them, and our game will be no different. It's not intended to keep Saints fans out, it's intended to keep AC Milan fans out. That's a good thing, because otherwise we'll get the blame if they cause trouble.

Names on tickets to match ID is standard for all Italian games, having to have prior purchase history isn't ever the case for any of their matches though as far as I'm aware.