• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

That's a good article sums up a lot of leave voters I know who seem to be pinning for a time and place that only exists in their imagination rather than a reality of Britain in the modern world. (Though I will take issue with describing Waterloo as a Prussian victory as it shows a lack of understanding of how the 100 days campaign was fought.)

I liked this extract from the article, a source which I have used earlier in this thread...

References to “Merkel’s Reich” abound in the rhetoric of the Brexiteers. “The Fourth Reich is here – without a shot being fired,” proclaimed Simon Heffer in the Daily Telegraph in 2016. Of course, Heffer – who also writes for the New Statesman – knows too much about history really to believe in this rhetorical overkill: what he’s talking about is nothing more than what he sees as Germany’s economic domination of Europe. He is not predicting that Merkel is going to invade France, or exterminate six million Jews, or imprison her opponents in concentration camps.

My point exactly....and who would possibly be stupid enough to think my reference to the Fourth Reich referred to the Nazis?

Apparently Herbert Von W@nkstain....

I liked this extract from the article, a source which I have used earlier in this thread...

My point exactly....and who would possibly be stupid enough to think my reference to the Fourth Reich referred to the Nazis?

Apparently Herbert Von W@nkstain....

Did you read the rest of it, you simpleton? In particular, the para which directly follows the paragraph you cite?

Economically, however, there is no evidence that Germany has been acting like the Nazi regime, which asset-stripped the countries it occupied, causing massive shortages of raw materials, leading to malnutrition and famine – not to mention the deliberate slaughter of hundreds of thousands of Poles and many others in eastern Europe. In fact, Germany has been spending huge amounts of money on shoring up failing economies such as that of Greece.

Obviously not - otherwise you would have thought twice before making a fool of yourself :lol:

I also didn’t realise the article discussed your threats of violence and penchant for utility poles.

Edited by shurlock

So there is no one worth voting for in the British political system and you'd have to be a ****wit to vote for any of the current lot....

I can't disagree with that. Apart from a few MPs, this is the worst bunch of incompetent non-entities I can remember in my adult lifetime.

So there is no one worth voting for in the British political system and you'd have to be a ****wit to vote for any of the current lot....

Yup, you're all totally screwed... ;)

On a positive note: these are exiting times and we're going to witness one of the biggest failures or comebacks in recent history. That's something worthwile, isnt it?

Especially for the poor - it must be so exciting seeing how much food they have to get from a food bank weekly, and really exciting that it will be far, far more when we exit the EU.

I thought we were going to run out of food? There'll be less in the "banks" then. Someone should tell them to get what they can now.

Especially for the poor - it must be so exciting seeing how much food they have to get from a food bank weekly, and really exciting that it will be far, far more when we exit the EU.

Quite so. The misery that either version of Brexit will visit on people just hanging on will be horrific. Yet al-Tenderi and his explosive ilk only really get upset when legitimate comparisons are made between him and other death cultists, who also revel in wrecking others' lives on the altar of some version of a fantasised 'sunlit uplands'.

Quite so. The misery that either version of Brexit will visit on people just hanging on will be horrific. Yet al-Tenderi and his explosive ilk only really get upset when legitimate comparisons are made between him and other death cultists, who also revel in wrecking others' lives on the altar of some version of a fantasised 'sunlit uplands'.

Cheer up Dr. Doom, you Brits know how to survive. Sharing your potatoes with someone less fortunate will give you a wonderful feeling. Just think of it: everyone sharing what little they have left, maybe you’ll all find comfort in that and who knows, maybe these dark ages will unite the citizens again.

Cheer up Dr. Doom, you Brits know how to survive. Sharing your potatoes with someone less fortunate will give you a wonderful feeling. Just think of it: everyone sharing what little they have left, maybe you’ll all find comfort in that and who knows, maybe these dark ages will unite the citizens again.

It's not me you need to tell to cheer up, sunshine. It's the people who do and will depend on food banks for their family meals. It's the people who lose their jobs in places like Llanelli in order to satisfy the Brexit elite's desire to create Singapore-by-the-Thames, or the people who depend on treatments from a health service starved of 'queue-jumping' doctors and nursing staffs and opened up to rampaging US 'health' corporations.

So why not try your ignorant twaddle on these victims of Brexit? I'm sure they'll be thrilled to have you in their midst.

It's not me you need to tell to cheer up, sunshine. It's the people who do and will depend on food banks for their family meals. It's the people who lose their jobs in places like Llanelli in order to satisfy the Brexit elite's desire to create Singapore-by-the-Thames, or the people who depend on treatments from a health service starved of 'queue-jumping' doctors and nursing staffs and opened up to rampaging US 'health' corporations.

So why not try your ignorant twaddle on these victims of Brexit? I'm sure they'll be thrilled to have you in their midst.

Like I said, you’re all screwed. It’s not going to help to keep whining Dr. Doom...

You're not having a good time of it, are you, Dr Doom? First you completely misunderstand what Rees-Mogg says about us enjoying the benefits of Brexit over the next 50 years, and then you get in a huff about nothing because you had a dyslexic misreading of "exiting" as "exciting."

And who is this "al-Tenderi and his explosive ilk"? Is it the name of your fourth form punk rock group?

You're not having a good time of it, are you, Dr Doom? First you completely misunderstand what Rees-Mogg says about us enjoying the benefits of Brexit over the next 50 years, and then you get in a huff about nothing because you had a dyslexic misreading of "exiting" as "exciting."

And who is this "al-Tenderi and his explosive ilk"? Is it the name of your fourth form punk rock group?

Al-Tenderi :lol:

Thanks for posting that link, which saves me from doing it. As a result, if you take the same interpretation of it that Verbal D does, then you prove yourself also to be either incapable of understanding simple English, or of being a bit too ready to misunderstand what you heard because it suits your Remoaner toady agenda.

He clearly states that "The overwhelming opportunity of Brexit will be over the next 50 years"

Come on Wes, what about the rest of it ?

"This will be a choice for the electorate, The electorate ultimately will be the judge of this, and will decide whether Brexit has been a success or failure."

[ In which case, how and when would this happen ? What if it does, indeed, turn out to be a failure ? ]

"....I may not know for years to come whether it, ( the economy ), will be better or worse..."

"We will know at some point, but it's a matter of timescale..."

"We won't know the full economic consequences for a very long time"

and finally

"The overwhelming opportunity for Brexit is over the next 50 years"

He doesn't sound completely convinced that this is going to work.

As I have posted before, it is always best to be the first in the lifeboat. Watch the EU Titanic, as it begins to sink:

The Franco/German deal is starting to unravel, as reported here.

Macron and Merkel remain miles apart over any EU ‘grand bargain’

No one now talks of a grand bargain. Instead, Berlin and Paris are inching towards striking the teensiest, tiniest of bargains, painfully developing a plan that will still leave the euro vulnerable to shocks, political shifts and capricious interference by non-euro states. Unfortunately, the euro does not have the luxury of time. The region’s economy already appears to be slowing after briefly entering recovery, the European Central Bank is currently determined to scale down its stimulus by the end of the year and governments soon have to start discussing the appointment of a new ECB president, which is bound to bring out all the old rancour.

...and the return of a Greek tragedy and an Italian opera, here:

Greek crisis returns as Italian banks enter the danger zone

Greece’s financial crisis has come back to the boil as Athens draws up emergency plans to stabilize the banking system, raising concerns that the country may ultimately need a fourth EU rescue to escape its depression trap. Global risk aversion and contagion from Italy’s parallel banking drama has lifted a lid on the festering legacy of bad debts, and exposed the implausible methods employed by Greek regulators and the EU-led troika to camouflage the problem.

Greek bank shares slumped a further 6pc on Tuesday after five days of falls. They are now down by 60pc since May, chiefly on fears of drastic state intervention to shore up thinning capital buffers. The Athens bourse has lost a third of its value this year. The sell-off came as risk spreads on Italian 10-year bonds spiked to a four-year high of 335 basis points, entering the danger zone for Italian banks that collectively hold €380bn of the country’s sovereign debt. Brussels is expected to launch its excessive deficit procedure against Italy on Wednesday for violation of the debt ceiling rules of the Fiscal Compact, doubling down on a fateful clash with the insurgent Lega-Five Star government in Rome.

Schadenfreude? I should say so...

...oh and I told you so.

Steve Baker on Twitter tonight promoting this 'outstanding' piece of work by Peter Lilley - the same Peter Lilley who was utterly destroyed on R4 this morning when he came up against someone with actual facts.

https://globalbritain.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Global_Britain_Fact_not_Friction.pdf

I'm sure it's just pure coincidence that this group - Global Britain - just happens to be based at Tufton Street alongside all the other fanatical brexiteer 'think tanks'.

I particularly liked this bit from the last page...

Although the information compiled in our research is produced to the best of our ability, its accuracy is not guaranteed. Any persons using Global Britain’s research or communication material does so solely at their own risk.

:lol:

Steve Baker on Twitter tonight promoting this 'outstanding' piece of work by Peter Lilley - the same Peter Lilley who was utterly destroyed on R4 this morning when he came up against someone with actual facts.

https://globalbritain.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Global_Britain_Fact_not_Friction.pdf

I'm sure it's just pure coincidence that this group - Global Britain - just happens to be based at Tufton Street alongside all the other fanatical brexiteer 'think tanks'.

I particularly liked this bit from the last page...

:lol:

Isn’t Tufton Street where the IEA is based which is currently being investigated by the Charity Commission because of concerns about its political independence; yet we have halfwits on this thread dragging the IFS and the LSE CEP (among others) through the mud despite having credentials which are beyond reproach.

Come on Wes, what about the rest of it ?

"This will be a choice for the electorate, The electorate ultimately will be the judge of this, and will decide whether Brexit has been a success or failure."

[ In which case, how and when would this happen ? What if it does, indeed, turn out to be a failure ? ]

"....I may not know for years to come whether it, ( the economy ), will be better or worse..."

"We will know at some point, but it's a matter of timescale..."

"We won't know the full economic consequences for a very long time"

and finally

"The overwhelming opportunity for Brexit is over the next 50 years"

He doesn't sound completely convinced that this is going to work.

He was asked how long it would be before it was clear economically what the effects of Brexit would be. He answered honestly that he didn't know. But then again, nobody knows, do they? The type of deal we achieve, or whether we get no deal affects the economy, and we don't know that yet, so why would anybody commit to a prediction without knowing the facts?

But do you accept that his statement that the overwhelming opportunity for Brexit is over the next 50 years, does NOT mean that it will take 50 years to find out? I credit you with more intelligence than Verbal D on this, so I expect that you will agree.

Isn’t Tufton Street where the IEA is based which is currently being investigated by the Charity Commission because of concerns about its political independence; yet we have halfwits on this thread dragging the IFS and the LSE CEP (among others) through the mud despite having credentials which are beyond reproach.

The IEA, the Adam Smith Institute, the Global Warming Policy Foundation, the Taxpayers Alliance, and Leave.EU. In fact, just about every right wing lobbying group you can think of operates from there.

He was asked how long it would be before it was clear economically what the effects of Brexit would be. He answered honestly that he didn't know. But then again, nobody knows, do they? The type of deal we achieve, or whether we get no deal affects the economy, and we don't know that yet, so why would anybody commit to a prediction without knowing the facts?

But do you accept that his statement that the overwhelming opportunity for Brexit is over the next 50 years, does NOT mean that it will take 50 years to find out? I credit you with more intelligence than Verbal D on this, so I expect that you will agree.

He is one of the main people telling us that this is a great opportunity for the country, yet when pressed he, at best, hedges his bets, and at worst, implies that things may well turn out worse. Nobody in the Leave campaign implied that it may well be decades before we even knew the true impact of Brexit. Almost everybody that voted to leave will be dead in 50 years, I reckon that most of them expected to see a tangible benefit much, much, earlier.

What I want to know is what his true motive is, what he thinks he personally is going to gain from Brexit.

Edited by badgerx16

First, he would never have been that equivocal during the referendum campaign.

Second, it won't take Jacob fifty years to personally benefit.

That's the point.

First, he would never have been that equivocal during the referendum campaign.

Second, it won't take Jacob fifty years to personally benefit.

That's the point.

J R-M wasn't prominent during the election campaign, so you don't know that. However, he has gained a reputation for being honest in his answers instead of indulging in the usual politicians' fudging. But of course he would have been even less able to have given an answer about that when the result of the referendum hadn't even been concluded, wouldn't he? Most of the establishment media weren't interested in asking prominent leave supporters about the economic benefits of our departure, as they didn't want to have the electorate hear any positivity about our future prospects outside of the EU. As you know, their agenda was only to tell everybody what a disaster it would prove to be. I don't recall any "project benefit", only "project fear". So your point is actually pointless.

As for your second point, what has that got to do with anything? Even if as you imply that J R-M would benefit personally from being outside of the EU, equally many of the remain side only want to remain in the EU because they personally benefit from that.

J R-M wasn't prominent during the election campaign, so you don't know that. However, he has gained a reputation for being honest in his answers instead of indulging in the usual politicians' fudging. But of course he would have been even less able to have given an answer about that when the result of the referendum hadn't even been concluded, wouldn't he? Most of the establishment media weren't interested in asking prominent leave supporters about the economic benefits of our departure, as they didn't want to have the electorate hear any positivity about our future prospects outside of the EU. As you know, their agenda was only to tell everybody what a disaster it would prove to be. I don't recall any "project benefit", only "project fear". So your point is actually pointless.

As for your second point, what has that got to do with anything? Even if as you imply that J R-M would benefit personally from being outside of the EU, equally many of the remain side only want to remain in the EU because they personally benefit from that.

The BBC asked plenty of leave supporters about the economic benefits of Brexit -far more than is representative of expert or economist opinion on the matter. Part of the BBC’s perverse interpretation of what it means to be balanced.

He is one of the main people telling us that this is a great opportunity for the country, yet when pressed he, at best, hedges his bets, and at worst, implies that things may well turn out worse. Nobody in the Leave campaign implied that it may well be decades before we even knew the true impact of Brexit. Almost everybody that voted to leave will be dead in 50 years, I reckon that most of them expected to see a tangible benefit much, much, earlier.

What I want to know is what his true motive is, what he thinks he personally is going to gain from Brexit.

It seems that I was mistaken about your intelligence, as you persist in implying this fiction that J R-M said that it would take 50 years before we could assess the benefits of leaving. I have to restate that he said the the main opportunities of Brexit will be felt over the next fifty years. As for this ridiculous point about how many will be alive in 50 years, I have lived through the joining of the Common Market as a young man until now and can see that our prosperity since joining owed more to national politics than it did to our membership of the EEC/EU. I expect that most of those just reaching voting age now will look at our departure from the ailing EU as the point at which we began to really thrive as an independent sovereign nation.

You are entitled to believe that J R-M is only it for his own personal gain, but there is no evidence of that at all. He was wealthy enough before entering politics and almost certainly could earn far more by concentrating solely on business matters. Often enough he promotes the benefits accruing to the poorest in our society from leaving the EU customs union and single market, because food, clothing and shoes which account for the highest percentage of their expenditure will be cheaper. If you think that he is not sincere, then that is up to you. Although many are career politicians in it for their own ends, I don't think that he is one of them.

Utterly destroyed? :lol: Here is the interview. I hear him giving as good as he got. Actual facts used against him? :lol:

It is the usual situation from the biased BBC, both the interviewer and a guest speaker both remoaners to the core, much like QT, usually four against one.

It seems that I was mistaken about your intelligence, as you persist in implying this fiction that J R-M said that it would take 50 years before we could assess the benefits of leaving. I have to restate that he said the the main opportunities of Brexit will be felt over the next fifty years. As for this ridiculous point about how many will be alive in 50 years, I have lived through the joining of the Common Market as a young man until now and can see that our prosperity since joining owed more to national politics than it did to our membership of the EEC/EU. I expect that most of those just reaching voting age now will look at our departure from the ailing EU as the point at which we began to really thrive as an independent sovereign nation.

You are entitled to believe that J R-M is only it for his own personal gain, but there is no evidence of that at all. He was wealthy enough before entering politics and almost certainly could earn far more by concentrating solely on business matters. Often enough he promotes the benefits accruing to the poorest in our society from leaving the EU customs union and single market, because food, clothing and shoes which account for the highest percentage of their expenditure will be cheaper. If you think that he is not sincere, then that is up to you. Although many are career politicians in it for their own ends, I don't think that he is one of them.

Not entirely sure cheaper clothing, cheaper food and cheaper shoes will make up for poorer public services, lower wages/employment protection, reduced employment opportunities, possibly increased pollution and lower environmental standards? Guess we are going to find out over the next 50 years.

Go back and read what I posted, and quoted ( from JRM himself " We won't know the full economic consequences for a very long time". "....whether it will be better or worse". ). Don't insult my intelligence, I think that so far I've been reasonably courteous towards you. Also, most of those who had just passed voting age at the point of the referendum voted to remain, and I suggest that those who have reached it since would most likely hold the same opinion.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction