• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

That is wrong from the the data I have seen, immigration was the no.1 reason for vote leave people, it was nearly 40% as well, and it was over 70% of peoples first or second reasons for voting leave, which makes it the clear driving force behind the vote and the campaign put it front and centre because of that. 

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/CSI-Brexit-4-People’s-Stated-Reasons-for-Voting-Leave.pdf

And their reasons in the main part were ignorance, most of things said about immigrants by the leave campaign and leave votes I saw was just factually false, i.e they take our jobs, they don't pay taxes, they use more of our services services, they more commit crime, they cost our taxpayers etc.

All pretty much false and you have to ask why people believe these things, some levels of prejudice and stereotyping has to be behind it. 

I mean Farage stood in front of picture that basically was the jews being marched off to concentration camps and yet people wonder why the leave vote was branded racist. 

That's a bit odd, the post you are quoting seems to have disappeared and been replaced by a thin blue line.  Maybe it's new forum gremlins or it's been deleted....

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

You talk about migrants being handy as we can ship them over here to harvest our food for us...and people who voted leave are the racist ones? 😂

Double check your facts. Multiple polls of those who voted leave showed that immigration was actually only the main reason for 33%, with nearly half of people voting for leave as they believed that the UK should have the final say on all decisions affecting the UK, including trade agreements, court decisions etc. 

And your argument is based on the idea that anyone who has any concern over immigration is automatically racist. Maybe if peoples concerns were taken seriously from the get go instead of them just being shouted down, leave would never have garnered as much support. 

So 33% is a negligable number , just over 33% of the people entitled to vote voted to leave , just under to remain and the other 30 odd % did not vote at all  so by your yardstick we should still be in the EU HA HA !!!!!!

2 hours ago, tajjuk said:

That is wrong from the the data I have seen, immigration was the no.1 reason for vote leave people, it was nearly 40% as well, and it was over 70% of peoples first or second reasons for voting leave, which makes it the clear driving force behind the vote and the campaign put it front and centre because of that. 

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/CSI-Brexit-4-People’s-Stated-Reasons-for-Voting-Leave.pdf

And their reasons in the main part were ignorance, most of things said about immigrants by the leave campaign and leave votes I saw was just factually false, i.e they take our jobs, they don't pay taxes, they use more of our services services, they more commit crime, they cost our taxpayers etc.

All pretty much false and you have to ask why people believe these things, some levels of prejudice and stereotyping has to be behind it. 

I mean Farage stood in front of picture that basically was the jews being marched off to concentration camps and yet people wonder why the leave vote was branded racist. 

*Yawn*  It's not fair, the leave voters are thickos, gullible, naive, the vote was rigged by the Ruskies, the leave campaign told lies on the side of the bus, fiddled their expenses, etc, etc.

The Remain campaign was a model of probity and integrity, all the statistics and economic forecasts put out by them were cautiously underestimated, nobody lied or twisted the truth, and it was an uphill battle defending their pro-Europeanism against the might of the establishment elite and the pro-leave media. 🙄

The Referendum was just over four years ago. We left the EU at the end of January. Remain lost. Get over it and stop winging. If you're still upset in a decade's time, you might get an opportunity to vote again, providing that the EU still exists.

2 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

*Yawn*  It's not fair, the leave voters are thickos, gullible, naive, the vote was rigged by the Ruskies, the leave campaign told lies on the side of the bus, fiddled their expenses, etc, etc.

The Remain campaign was a model of probity and integrity, all the statistics and economic forecasts put out by them were cautiously underestimated, nobody lied or twisted the truth, and it was an uphill battle defending their pro-Europeanism against the might of the establishment elite and the pro-leave media. 🙄

The Referendum was just over four years ago. We left the EU at the end of January. Remain lost. Get over it and stop winging. If you're still upset in a decade's time, you might get an opportunity to vote again, providing that the EU still exists.

post of the day,😎

23 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

So 33% is a negligable number , just over 33% of the people entitled to vote voted to leave , just under to remain and the other 30 odd % did not vote at all  so by your yardstick we should still be in the EU HA HA !!!!!!

Calm down treacle, I never said it was negligible. The assertion was made that people voted to leave purely for racist reasons, I stated that not only did the majority of people voting leave vote for reasons other than immigration but even voting because of immigration is not in itself an example of racism. 

I don’t think they’ll ever get over it. 

In the years to come they’ll appreciate the brilliance of Nigel & the resillance of Bill Cash and others who lost the first referendum. Instead of crying and whinging about the result, they should find themselves some dedicated & highly motivated people to set out on the long march to another vote. 

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

It's the most absurd rhetoric used time and time again. 

We're comparing black lives matter with vote leave, which aside from the fact is an absurd comparison to make vote leave only ever had one mission statement, whereas black lives matter openly admits to more but the majority of people supporting it are ignorant of what those are. 

You can carry on thinking that's the only reason and that's fine but it's not true. It had an awful lot to do with the admission of the A8 countries and the number who interpreted such a move as a licence to move about the EU and work where they liked...just like we did in Germany in the early 80's...we just didn't come in the hundreds of thousands....that made lots of older people very uncomfortable.....lots of people looking different and speaking another language and so they voted to stop it...anything else about "freedom" is utterly tied to the number we've let in so actually, it is related because it's about perception...it's also been used by certain elements in society for their own advantage...much like you suggest BLM has. But either way, historically, when black people "get a bit uppity" or look like they're threatening to change the statues quo, a bunch of right wing people ALWAYS shout "Communism!!!!!" it's standard, it's old and it's a bit sad that they feel they need to shout these people down who frankly only want to be treated the same as anyone else. As far as defunding the police go as well, that's the wrong way to take it....de-politisizing the police would be a better idea, making them have their own independent rules that make them a-political and not just doing as a bunch of politicians say would probably be a better idea.

7 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I don’t think they’ll ever get over it. 

In the years to come they’ll appreciate the brilliance of Nigel & the resillance of Bill Cash and others who lost the first referendum. Instead of crying and whinging about the result, they should find themselves some dedicated & highly motivated people to set out on the long march to another vote. 

Nutty as a bag of badgers...or perhaps on a wind up.

5 minutes ago, Hockey_saint said:

As far as defunding the police go as well, that's the wrong way to take it....de-politisizing the police would be a better idea, making them have their own independent rules that make them a-political and not just doing as a bunch of politicians say would probably be a better idea.

They are a-political you clown. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

They are a-political you clown. 

Who pays their wages? Who decides their numbers and who are they ultimately answerable to? Who makes the laws they enforce?.....After what you've just wrote, I'd probably keep quiet about calling anyone else a clown.

Edited by Hockey_saint

27 minutes ago, Hockey_saint said:

Who pays their wages? Who decides their numbers and who are they ultimately answerable to? Who makes the laws they enforce?.....After what you've just wrote, I'd probably keep quiet about calling anyone else a clown.

So who would finance and regulate the Police in a de-politicised world?

27 minutes ago, Hockey_saint said:

In USA Sheriffs are elected and Chiefs of Police are appointed by an elected Mayor . So as usual we are following in their footsteps thanks to the Tories ! We now have some elected Mayors and some elected Police Commissioners although elected with small voter turnout . You can see the road we’re now on.

1 hour ago, Hockey_saint said:

You can carry on thinking that's the only reason and that's fine but it's not true. It had an awful lot to do with the admission of the A8 countries and the number who interpreted such a move as a licence to move about the EU and work where they liked...just like we did in Germany in the early 80's...we just didn't come in the hundreds of thousands....that made lots of older people very uncomfortable.....lots of people looking different and speaking another language and so they voted to stop it...anything else about "freedom" is utterly tied to the number we've let in so actually, it is related because it's about perception...it's also been used by certain elements in society for their own advantage...much like you suggest BLM has. But either way, historically, when black people "get a bit uppity" or look like they're threatening to change the statues quo, a bunch of right wing people ALWAYS shout "Communism!!!!!" it's standard, it's old and it's a bit sad that they feel they need to shout these people down who frankly only want to be treated the same as anyone else. As far as defunding the police go as well, that's the wrong way to take it....de-politisizing the police would be a better idea, making them have their own independent rules that make them a-political and not just doing as a bunch of politicians say would probably be a better idea.

I love it. 

Telling people that how they voted and why is tied to racism no matter what. Such a brilliant tactic.

Tell me how being able to determine our own free trade deals is tied to racism? Or not wanting the ECJ to have jurisdiction? Or wanting to reignite the British fishing industry? 

36 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I love it. 

Telling people that how they voted and why is tied to racism no matter what. Such a brilliant tactic.

Tell me how being able to determine our own free trade deals is tied to racism? Or not wanting the ECJ to have jurisdiction? Or wanting to reignite the British fishing industry? 

Those were lines made up afterwards to justify said actions. Nothing more. None of this erupted like it did until about 2007 at the inclusion of the A8 countries. Such a view was seen as exclusively right-wing tory and something they'd been fighting about for decades. You can change as many words and make up new reasons but that's the crux of it people are afraid they'll lose their jobs to the number of EU migrants coming in and voted en mass against it anything else like "freedom" is well....freedom for what? to control our own borders? to stop said migrants coming in...that's it, that's all it's ever been about.

20 minutes ago, Hockey_saint said:

Those were lines made up afterwards to justify said actions. Nothing more. None of this erupted like it did until about 2007 at the inclusion of the A8 countries. Such a view was seen as exclusively right-wing tory and something they'd been fighting about for decades. You can change as many words and make up new reasons but that's the crux of it people are afraid they'll lose their jobs to the number of EU migrants coming in and voted en mass against it anything else like "freedom" is well....freedom for what? to control our own borders? to stop said migrants coming in...that's it, that's all it's ever been about.

Okie doke, you dismiss the views of those who voted leave and I'll ignore you too. 

17 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Okie doke, you dismiss the views of those who voted leave and I'll ignore you too. 

How am I dismissing their views? You're just making up new ones to suit your agenda. Brexit aint no fairytale where we gain heavenly freedom. It's about moving backwards to a time when we were a bigger fish that's it.

As for you Ducky, when May or Johnson can cut their numbers.....like they have, it's not independent; when they make up laws that are politically motivated and the police have to follow them, they're not independent they are doing the bidding of the politicians which puts them right in the crosshairs.

28 minutes ago, Hockey_saint said:

As for you Ducky, when May or Johnson can cut their numbers.....like they have, it's not independent; when they make up laws that are politically motivated and the police have to follow them, they're not independent they are doing the bidding of the politicians which puts them right in the crosshairs.

You’re clueless. 

The people, via their elected representatives make the laws, decide police numbers and their budgets. Parliament, the body elected by the people decide these things, not May or Johnson.

The police are independent of the government. They enforce laws passed by Parliament. 

24 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You’re clueless. 

The people, via their elected representatives make the laws, decide police numbers and their budgets. Parliament, the body elected by the people decide these things, not May or Johnson.

The police are independent of the government. They enforce laws passed by Parliament. 

Clueless yet you've just repeated my point. They do the bidding of the government of the day therefor not politically neutral and open to be seen as party henchmen by some...they don't enforce rights and wrongs but rather enforce political doctrine or at least that's what some protesters will say with some point.

6 hours ago, Hockey_saint said:

They do the bidding of the government of the day therefor not politically neutral and open to be seen as party henchmen by some...they don't enforce rights and wrongs but rather enforce political doctrine or at least that's what some protesters will say with some point.

The police do indeed enforce law passed by Parliament. I assume you realise that Parliament is not the "government of the day". On second thoughts I don't think you do. Your next lessons will be on Royal Assent and the House of Lords....

15 hours ago, Wes Tender said:

Yawn indeed from you. Strawman much? 

Facts are not whinging, was I complaining about the result or asking to change it?

No.

I was just stating the FACT that the vote was driven on immigration and those complaints on immigration were largely false and based on people's ignorance of the subject matter, largely because they are led like sheep by our right wing politicians and media to distract them from the real problems that the right government is actually responsible for.

It's right wing politics 101 since the beginning of time, play on people's racism and prejudices to blame someone else instead of the government for domestic problems like under funded services, high crime rates in their areas, high employment etc.  It's exactly what Trump has been doing and in part how he got elected. 

That is the simple reality of the situation, it's quite hilarious when you see people getting sensitive about the leave vote being linked to racism when in fact there is plenty of evidence to support that view. 

Lots of people voted leave because of immigration and those people stated reasons about immigration impacting them that are just factually false, now why would they do that? Maybe because instead of looking inwards and towards our government for their problems, it's easier to blame the foreigners for all our problems.

But hey I know people struggled with facts and reality in modern times. But I find it hilarious that people can't accept what the leave vote was driven by because it hurts their 'feelings', when all the data is there plain as day.  

Edited by tajjuk

15 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

You do understand the concept of a referendum, don't you? There is usually a binary decision on offer, in this case to remain in the EU or to leave it. There was no rule that the vote was invalid unless a certain percentage of the electorate voted, it was to be decided on a simple majority. Leave had 1,269,501 more votes than remain, but even a smaller majority would have counted. Just stop the bleating about how unfair it all was. Despite the PM at the time recommending that we should vote to remain in the EU, and spending £9 million of taxpayer's money in propaganda to get that message across, a majority of the stupid, racist electorate voting in the referendum decided not to follow his advice. Get over it. There isn't anything you can do about it. You'll just have to accept it, just as everybody who didn't want to join in the first place had to accept if nearly 50 years ago.

8 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Facts are not whinging, was I complaining about the result or asking to change it?

No.

I was just stating the FACT that the vote was driven on immigration and those complaints on immigration were largely false and based on people's ignorance of the subject matter, largely because they are led like sheep by our right wing politicians and media to distract them from the real problems that the right government is actually responsible for.

It's right wing politics 101 since the beginning of time, play on people's racism and prejudices to blame someone else instead of the government for domestic problems like under funded services, high crime rates in their areas, high employment etc.  It's exactly what Trump has been doing and in part how he got elected. 

That is the simple reality of the situation, it's quite hilarious when you see people getting sensitive about the leave vote being linked to racism when in fact there is plenty of evidence to support that view. 

Lots of people voted leave because of immigration and those people stated reasons about immigration impacting them that are just factually false, now why would they do that? Maybe because instead of looking inwards and towards our government for their problems, it's easier to blame the foreigners for all our problems.

But hey I know people struggled with facts and reality in modern times. But I find it hilarious that people can't accept what the leave vote was driven by because it hurts their 'feelings', when all the data is there plain as day.  

Now you're really beginning to sound pathetic.

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

No.

Just be safe in the knowledge that those same people will be poorer, but immigration won't go down. Imagine HOW angry and upset those people will feel, and then sit back and laugh at them. They will know they've screwed themselves over, and will end up realising that all the racist, thicko rhetoric that the Remainers peddled was in fact true, and that they are living embodiment of it. 

11 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Just be safe in the knowledge that those same people will be poorer, but immigration won't go down. Imagine HOW angry and upset those people will feel, and then sit back and laugh at them. They will know they've screwed themselves over, and will end up realising that all the racist, thicko rhetoric that the Remainers peddled was in fact true, and that they are living embodiment of it. 

Will it be just them that are poorer?

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Yep, that's the one.  The one with all the Jews being marched off to concentration camps :mcinnes:

The b&w image is a still from "Auschwitz:  The Nazis and the Final Solution", and the original footage is a German newsreel which can be seen here https://collections.ushmm.org/search/catalog/irn1003355

Edited by badgerx16

3 hours ago, tajjuk said:

So can't dispute the facts and just resort to name calling, so who is actually 'pathetic'.......

I can dispute the "facts", or should I say the "facts" according to you, but I've moved on since then and am looking forward to the 31st December when we will either have a FTA with the EU or will leave on WTO terms. I'm not going to waste time raking over old coals, arguing the toss with embittered poor losers about events four years ago.

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

The b&w image is a still from "Auschwitz:  The Nazis and the Final Solution", and the original footage is a German newsreel which can be seen here https://collections.ushmm.org/search/catalog/irn1003355

What’s that got to do with anything. Nigel wasn’t stood in front of a black and white image. 

It was claimed the poster was of Jews being marched off to concentration camps. It was not. I thought facts mattered to you remoaners. Clearly they don’t. 

2 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Oh, I thought that the racist, thicko rhetoric was supposed to have been peddled by the leavers, not the remoaners. Project fear was what the remoaners peddled. Immigration might well not go down, but it will comprise people who we allow to come here because they have skills and abilities that we need, rated on points based criteria rather than being able to come here willy-nilly solely because they happen to live in the EU.

Regarding your assertion that those leave voters will be poorer, then of course you cannot know that for sure. You're entitled to express an opinion, and to enjoy fantasising about the potential grief that might befall your fellow citizens, if that floats your boat, but we will just have to wait and see whether it comes to pass. But they naturally felt the need to vote to leave the EU for their own personal reasons, so I'm sure that they will be willing to accept the consequences, as they have to in other political decisions they make.

19 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What’s that got to do with anything. Nigel wasn’t stood in front of a black and white image. 

It was claimed the poster was of Jews being marched off to concentration camps. It was not. I thought facts mattered to you remoaners. Clearly they don’t. 

The black and white image was largely comprised of the elderly, and women and children fleeing the tyranny of Hitler's wartime Germany.

The Farage poster comprises nearly all fit young males, economic immigrants,  wanting to enter an EU formed to promote European peaceful relationships, with pretensions of becoming a superstate, where Germany is the most powerful country.

I can see the similarities.

19 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

The black and white image was largely comprised of the elderly, and women and children fleeing the tyranny of Hitler's wartime Germany.

The Farage poster comprises nearly all fit young males, economic immigrants,  wanting to enter an EU formed to promote European peaceful relationships, with pretensions of becoming a superstate, where Germany is the most powerful country.

They’re principally refugees (btw nowt to do with FoM) but given your mind is so warped and addled by xenophobia, ignorance, fear and lack of empathy, it’s an easy mistake to make it I guess.

Edited by shurlock

7 hours ago, Guided Missile said:

The police do indeed enforce law passed by Parliament. I assume you realise that Parliament is not the "government of the day". On second thoughts I don't think you do. Your next lessons will be on Royal Assent and the House of Lords....

I think you need to understand how governments actually govern....you know, through majority in any parliament. The house of lords can kick a bill about but not usually stop it and royal ascent is usually just a rubber stamp. Our sovereign signed away rights to put down governments centuries again and they do indeed do the bidding of the majority of parliament....who are, more often than not, the government of the day and their usually politically-motivated laws which, as I say, lend themselves to people questioning their impartiality.

50 minutes ago, shurlock said:

They’re principally refugees (btw nowt to do with FoM) but given your mind is so warped and addled by xenophobia, ignorance, fear and lack of empathy, it’s an easy mistake to make it I guess.

They just used that to play on people's fears of loads of darker-skinned foreigners entering our shores....classic dog whistle politics. I was at a rally in 2008 and a lot of old people came up to Prescott.....this is in Shirley....and virtually with one voice said "wot you gonna do about these foreigners??!!" They clearly meant EU migrants but as per usual, the government used it and if anyone thinks Brexit wasn't almost entirely about that and not some fantasy about being as free as a daisy in the big wide world, they're either very stupid, indoctrinated or just delusional. 

I think you need to understand how governments actually govern....you know, through majority in any parliament. The house of lords can kick a bill about but not usually stop it and royal ascent is usually just a rubber stamp. Our sovereign signed away rights to put down governments centuries again and they do indeed do the bidding of the majority of parliament....who are, more often than not, the government of the day and their usually politically-motivated laws which, as I say, lend themselves to people questioning their impartiality.

Not very bright, are you?

Talking of refugees and xenophobic Tory brexiteers:

British citizenship will be offered to nearly 3 million people living in Hong Kong after China was accused of a "clear and serious violation" after it imposed a national security legislation on the former British territory. Dominic Raab, the Foreign Secretary, said the UK  would “welcome BNOs (British Nationals Overseas) to come to this country”.  “We say that we've got a specific historic responsibility to them and there won't be any quota,” he told the House of Commons. The new immigration rules will allow BNO passport holders to come to the UK without the current 6 month limit, granting them five years unlimited leave to remain, with the ability to live and work in the UK. After these five years, they will be able to apply for settled status and, after a further 12 months with that status, apply for citizenship. Mr Raab added: “We will not look the other way on Hong Kong, and we will not duck our historic responsibilities to its people.” 

My only problem with this is that in a few years of enjoying the benefits of this wonderful country, they will turn into Gavyn Davies, that well known Rhodesian refugee and turncoat and won't stop moaning about the country, its government and those born here. 

Get ready for YLM demonstrations. It won't be long before they are pulling down statues of Chris Patten.

Ted Bates | Cristiano Ronaldo bust & 11 other strange & terrible ...

Edited by Guided Missile
Any excuse to post a picture of Ted's statue...
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shurlock said:

I've said it before, but it obviously needs to be repeated for your benefit; I have nothing against us taking in our fair share of refugees, something that we have not shied away from doing now, or indeed at many times in our history. Our policy currently has been to take them from the refugee camps, as the distinction between refugees and economic migrants is easier to make, and family units are a more pressing priority in my opinion than fit young men. There really is no need to point out the difference to me between refugees, economic migrants and those coming here as part of the EU freedom of movement, as it is all perfectly clear to me. Under international law, refugees seeking asylum should declare that at the first safe country they reach, so those approaching the EU from the Middle East or North Africa have several choices before they reach our shores. But as I say, because of the numbers involved, I am content to take a fair share of genuine refugees on humanitarian grounds.

You've been very quiet of late, Gavyn, but I see that you are trying to make up for lost time in your usual arrogant, infantile insult mode.

17 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

Not very bright, are you?

Royal ascent 😄

2 hours ago, shurlock said:

So Farage was definitely not stood in front of a poster of Jews being marched to a concentration camp.  Glad we cleared that up.

2 hours ago, Wes Tender said:

The b&w image is actually jews being force marched under guard by the Romanian allies of the Nazis, on the first stage of a mass deportation that ended in the concentration camps.

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

"...basically was the jews being marched off to concentration camps...". Many people saw the Farage poster and came to the conclusion that the analogy was fair, and that the emotional response was exactly what Farage intended.

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

"...basically was the jews being marched off to concentration camps...". Many people saw the Farage poster and came to the conclusion that the analogy was fair, and that the emotional response was exactly what Farage intended.

Don't worry, he's not particularly bright.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction