Executive Boxes

spyinthesky

In our early years the 47 Corporate Boxes were sellouts at around £30k ish per season = £1.41 m revenue

Looks like only 6 have been sold this year (and the possibility of some of these are tied in with commercial packages)

I wonder is this due to incorrect pricing packages, pressure on company budgets or poor value for money?

It seems that 12 of the boxes have been converted into 6 double boxes

Wonder what the reason for this is?

Poor catering?

Bring back Rupert!!

I booked one for the Chelsea game 2 Christmas's ago and it was 2,250 from memory and 30k a year. Got the brochure for this season 2 weeks ago and it was 43k a year. Who would pay that!

It's not all that either compared to Chelsea (in a ****ty old stadium), Arsenal or Twickers in my opinion.

At the start of life at St.Marys, it was an absolute treat and pleasure to enjoy the afternoon/evening watching matches from one of the 'Boxes'! Food was very good and whilst an expensive way to watch a game, it made for an occasional treat.

Sadly, I wouldn't pay for the experience today. My most recent visit, just after Christmas, was a huge disappointment, let down by very average food, if I had been served in a restaurant, I would have refused to pay for. Great shame.

At the start of life at St.Marys, it was an absolute treat and pleasure to enjoy the afternoon/evening watching matches from one of the 'Boxes'! Food was very good and whilst an expensive way to watch a game, it made for an occasional treat.

Sadly, I wouldn't pay for the experience today. My most recent visit, just after Christmas, was a huge disappointment, let down by very average food, if I had been served in a restaurant, I would have refused to pay for. Great shame.

Good summary. No where near the level of Chelsea for example which is class from start to finish.

Another legacy from Corteses chairmanship I'm afraid. The standard of the boxes dropped considerably under his tenure whilst the price continued to escalate. Many business I've dealt with decided to simply book a handful of season tickets and entertain clients to a meal and drinks away from the stadium. I know and couple of restaurants in Oxford street benefitted hugely from the fall out from Corteses disastrous reign. Although the current regime at saints are building some bridges once you've lost customers it's hard to get them back, particularly as the price is so high and there are so many options for corporate entertainment these days.

Another legacy from Corteses chairmanship I'm afraid. The standard of the boxes dropped considerably under his tenure whilst the price continued to escalate. Many business I've dealt with decided to simply book a handful of season tickets and entertain clients to a meal and drinks away from the stadium. I know and couple of restaurants in Oxford street benefitted hugely from the fall out from Corteses disastrous reign. Although the current regime at saints are building some bridges once you've lost customers it's hard to get them back, particularly as the price is so high and there are so many options for corporate entertainment these days.

Lower the price. Improve the product. Go on a charm offensive. A quick win for Ralph you'd have thought.

Maybe you could name those 'many' businesses that you know? Nah, probably not. Its amazing what you know though.

Yes, it is difficult to get lost customers back but surely the fantastic regime we have in place should not find this an obstacle, but apparently still charge way over the odds for sub standard catering, service and clearly don't offer value for money. However obviously they have just given in to the other options according to you, that seems like smart business. There have always been other options, in fact there are other options in everything, you just have to make sure you sell your product competitively and smartly, is Ralph struggling with that concept then?

Maybe you could name those 'many' businesses that you know? Nah, probably not. Its amazing what you know though.

Yes, it is difficult to get lost customers back but surely the fantastic regime we have in place should not find this an obstacle, but apparently still charge way over the odds for sub standard catering, service and clearly don't offer value for money. However obviously they have just given in to the other options according to you, that seems like smart business. There have always been other options, in fact there are other options in everything, you just have to make sure you sell your product competitively and smartly, is Ralph struggling with that concept then?

Noodles

I have some sympathy with Turks comments.

Talking to an ex (long standing) Box holder after posting my initial comment, he advises that the product on offer has reduced year on year as the price increased.

Rather surprisingly the current commercial team (which he feels do a relatively good job in general) were very unyielding when it came to price negotiations, which no doubt has contributed to the number of empty boxes.

btw can confirm the comments from other posters regarding the product on offer at Chelsea.

Miles ahead of St Marys, even had heaters in the stand roof!!

Mind you lots of 'fans' who appear more interested in the refreshment their mobile phones rather than the footie

Difficult to get it right. The club wants as much money as it can get and the paying customers want the best for their guests. Those guests are often hard to handle as they are on a jolly and want to take full advantage of the free booze. There are several stories of, let's call it excess, where those guests have tried to drink the entire place dry and have been very demanding bordering on deeply unpleasant.

Forty three grand a year seems massively overpriced and judging by the number sold I'm not the only one that thinks so. Saints need to look at this unless they are confident they can sell boxes on an individual match basis.

I also hope that rather than boxes just remaining empty the club could donate on to charity for the game, invite some kids in or something.

Exactly this. I also know a number of businesses who simply have season tickets in the Kingsland or Itchen and entertain people in Oxford Street or South Western House etc. It sense as you get nicer food and you're more able to take your clients to other places if they so wish.

I don't know anyone who'd be happy sanctioning £43k a year for that.

yep it must be Cortese, he is still putting the prices up year on year and still not providing the quality.

It is not impossible to get custom back if you get the product right. Those people would know that Cotese had left, and it is difficult to get a tray of drinks up from Oxford St at half time when entertaining clients.

If you really are entertaining yuor business clients they will want luxury of a box , easy access to food and drink, so I doubt they are not going due to Cortese but basically the club are charging too much

Lots of businesses are pulling away from this type of corp hospitality which is partially due to budgets but also a ban on employees being able to accept invites. A full season is a big commitment as well. These days we are generally asked to do more Mon to Fri, so the idea of then giving up a Sat to entertain clients doesn't appeal so much - equally those who might be invited may also have the same view.

The club needs to look at attracting more one-off bookings from private supporters, which will mean a more competitive price and a better quality of experience.

This is spot on.

Lots of businesses are pulling away from this type of corp hospitality which is partially due to budgets but also a ban on employees being able to accept invites. A full season is a big commitment as well. These days we are generally asked to do more Mon to Fri, so the idea of then giving up a Sat to entertain clients doesn't appeal so much - equally those who might be invited may also have the same view.

The club needs to look at attracting more one-off bookings from private supporters, which will mean a more competitive price and a better quality of experience.

All very true. And don't forget that the Corporates want to offer their guests the chance to see their heroes from Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and so on and we keep giving these teams a thrashing so it's not surprising that demand is low :)

Noodles

I have some sympathy with Turks comments.

Talking to an ex (long standing) Box holder after posting my initial comment, he advises that the product on offer has reduced year on year as the price increased.

Rather surprisingly the current commercial team (which he feels do a relatively good job in general) were very unyielding when it came to price negotiations, which no doubt has contributed to the number of empty boxes.

btw can confirm the comments from other posters regarding the product on offer at Chelsea.

Miles ahead of St Marys, even had heaters in the stand roof!!

Mind you lots of 'fans' who appear more interested in the refreshment their mobile phones rather than the footie

I'm not necessarily saying he is wrong in respect of the product on offer but to blame it on an ex employee from years ago, well, thats just him isnt it.

At the end of the day the club are trying to make too much money on the product and people are realising after a recession and now Brexit that it is simply not worth the expense. It prices are lowered and the standard is improved then perhaps some will want the product again. That is in the hands of the current board and marketing team, nothing to do with some has been.

I'm not necessarily saying he is wrong in respect of the product on offer but to blame it on an ex employee from years ago, well, thats just him isnt it.

At the end of the day the club are trying to make too much money on the product and people are realising after a recession and now Brexit that it is simply not worth the expense. It prices are lowered and the standard is improved then perhaps some will want the product again. That is in the hands of the current board and marketing team, nothing to do with some has been.

I agree.

You cant blame Cortese for the current situation although he did tend to either **** off or ignore corporate activity at the game as well as alienating many of the staff.

You can say what you like about Rupert (and I am no fan) but he used to pop into the Boxes on a fairly regular basis to say hello and check all was in order.

Current prices need adjusting (downwards)

Must also pick up on a point made by a previous poster.

A mate of mine took a Box for his staff a year or so back and ended up next to some very unsavoury characters from West Ham.

Not a nice experience and such occurrences seem to go against the Ground Rules of no opposition fans in with home supporters.

I appreciate that this is difficult to regulate in the corporates where businesses will invite customers who support rival clubs but nevertheless their does seem to be a more 'relaxed' attitude as regards to who can get into boxes in recent times as well as the dress code.

Probably a reaction to the poor sales.

It's good to see you've lost none of your desire to launch a passionate defence of your hero at every opportunity and there was me thinking you'd stopped crying yourself to sleep every night with his picture under your pillow :lol:

Yes the current product is still below standard it should be and yes work needs to be done to improve it. However the rot set in when your boy was running the show, demanding premier league prices for a league 2 product and generally treating loyal customers like sh*t. Once they'd found other ways to entertain then they stuck with them and you couldn't blame them it's was cheaper, better and they'd simply got out of the habit of taking customers to football. One of my clients who had a corporate seats since we moved to SMS now does a Jonathan Palmer racing day twice a year, another as I mentioned buys season tickets and they go for meals in Oxford street, other people I know do other things. What they all have in common is they left when Cortese was there stating the price, product and his attitude as three major factors. He didn't think he needed local business. I notice you asked me to name them, now why would I do that? Are you going to ring them up and say "hi it's noodles from mongweb, Turkish says you stopped buying corporate season tickets because of Cortese and I'm checking it's true?" :lol:

It's good to see you've lost none of your desire to launch a passionate defence of your hero at every opportunity and there was me thinking you'd stopped crying yourself to sleep every night with his picture under your pillow :lol:

Yes the current product is still below standard it should be and yes work needs to be done to improve it. However the rot set in when your boy was running the show, demanding premier league prices for a league 2 product and generally treating loyal customers like sh*t. Once they'd found other ways to entertain then they stuck with them and you couldn't blame them it's was cheaper, better and they'd simply got out of the habit of taking customers to football. One of my clients who had a corporate seats since we moved to SMS now does a Jonathan Palmer racing day twice a year, another as I mentioned buys season tickets and they go for meals in Oxford street, other people I know do other things. What they all have in common is they left when Cortese was there stating the price, product and his attitude as three major factors. He didn't think he needed local business. I notice you asked me to name them, now why would I do that? Are you going to ring them up and say "hi it's noodles from mongweb, Turkish says you stopped buying corporate season tickets because of Cortese and I'm checking it's true?" :lol:

Turkish, Surely you can see that Cortese is not the reason the boxes are not filling 3 seasons later. Make a decent product and the companies will come. If a company is taking clients to Oxford street instead of the full game experience they are not major players. I have taken a box in the past and found it pretty poor value, up the game and then you will see people coming on board.

Turkish, Surely you can see that Cortese is not the reason the boxes are not filling 3 seasons later. Make a decent product and the companies will come. If a company is taking clients to Oxford street instead of the full game experience they are not major players. I have taken a box in the past and found it pretty poor value, up the game and then you will see people coming on board.

I wonder how pro-active the commercial department are in this regard - they must have a database of the companies that used to use the corporate facilities, so it shouldn't be difficult to start trying to repair relationships that were broken pretty emphatically under Cortese.

Ultimately, regardless of the reasons companies walked away back then, it still has to be a product that people think is worth paying for - £43k a year is insane money for what's on offer, IMO, and I'm not surprised we've hardly sold any for the season on that basis. More than £2200+VAT per game, which you're committed to whether it's Man United or Middlesbrough.

Don't Know but the whole first team squad including Puel were out there on Saturday night.
Koeman was out there all the time as well. Probably something to do with the location to Ocean Village where I think he and Irwin lived. Maybe players/managers like paying for overpriced food and drinks because they can.

Koeman was out there all the time as well. Probably something to do with the location to Ocean Village where I think he and Irwin lived. Maybe players/managers like paying for overpriced food and drinks because they can.

should've gone for a subway.

I can name one, very high profile, company who EVERYONE will know who did just this. Had a box (and a lot more besides) ended the contract, bought STs and took clients out to pubs/restaurants in and around town to entertain.

A much better, more personal, way to deal with clients.

It would be interesting to know why the club made the decision to turn twelve of the boxes into what appears to be six double boxes

Also in past days all the Executive Box companies had their details included within the match day programme as a way of advertising their support.

No more it seems.

I guess full credit should go to 'Mr Somers' who seems to have been an Exec Box member from the start.

Going back to comments on Nicola Cortese, I remember back at the start of his regime he invited a number of 'Business People' into the main Lounge before an evening Div 1 game as a means of improving communication with the business community which in his view had suffered under the previous regime.

All good stuff and a sense of anticipation ensued.

Bubble burst when a clearly embarrassed Andy Oldknow came in with apologies that Mr Cortese was otherwise engaged.

There was no repeat of the gathering

He was indeed in Ocean Village as I could see my boat in the background of one of his first interviews when he joined :).

Coming back to how engaged the commercial team are, I received one call, got sent a brochure, had one follow up call that I answered and when I said I wasn't interested in a season there was no "why not, what can I do to convince you" it was: "ok, cheers".

Feels like it needs a proper hospitality manager. My business partners brother in law used to run Arsenal's, maybe they can get him in :)

Of course he does, he just likes to persevere with his Cult of Cortese obsession, bashing everything the guy ever did, whether or not it is fact or fiction. No one else really gives a **** but Turkish finds the fact that Nick is no longer in charge leaves a huge void in his life which he finds hard to fill.

Afraid that Exec Boxes are a hangover from the past. Unlikely that we will ever sell more than a handful whatever is done in terms of marketing, pricing etc. Only a handful of Clubs will continue to sell Exec boxes to a similar commercial level as in the past, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Man Utd and City and Liverpool, probably, maybe West Ham now. The Club should be looking at other ways to increase the commercial revenue of this space. The seats that are reserved for the Exec Box users should be returned to the general sale/season ticket market for a start. The best use of the boxes is probably as small office space, unless we go down the road that Stadium MK has and make them into hotel rooms.

Going back to comments on Nicola Cortese, I remember back at the start of his regime he invited a number of 'Business People' into the main Lounge before an evening Div 1 game as a means of improving communication with the business community which in his view had suffered under the previous regime.

All good stuff and a sense of anticipation ensued.

Bubble burst when a clearly embarrassed Andy Oldknow came in with apologies that Mr Cortese was otherwise engaged.

There was no repeat of the gathering

That was probably the one where they were told Cortese was away on business yet miraculously was sat a few seats away come kick-off.

Of course he does, he just likes to persevere with his Cult of Cortese obsession, bashing everything the guy ever did, whether or not it is fact or fiction. No one else really gives a **** but Turkish finds the fact that Nick is no longer in charge leaves a huge void in his life which he finds hard to fill.

Afraid that Exec Boxes are a hangover from the past. Unlikely that we will ever sell more than a handful whatever is done in terms of marketing, pricing etc. Only a handful of Clubs will continue to sell Exec boxes to a similar commercial level as in the past, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Man Utd and City and Liverpool, probably, maybe West Ham now. The Club should be looking at other ways to increase the commercial revenue of this space. The seats that are reserved for the Exec Box users should be returned to the general sale/season ticket market for a start. The best use of the boxes is probably as small office space, unless we go down the road that Stadium MK has and make them into hotel rooms.

Spot on. It is ridiculous, when matches are sold out, that there is a swathe of empty seats on the halfway line. The number allocated to executive boxes should be reduced.

The empty seats in the stand are nothing to do with the boxes. I spoke with the corporate team today and they are pleased with the suite sales. Most firms buy seats in there because they can have a few at a lesser price. Boxes cost too much for local companies who are not corporates.

There are plans to redesign level 3 for next season to same standard as the first double box which is stunning,there will be less boxes and a new hospitality suite instead,the Markus Liebherr Lounge sells out every year a seasonal table of 10 costs same as basic box package which shows the pricing of boxes is ridiculous.

there will be less boxes

Fewer! Incidentally, I wonder if any of our new foreign recruits would like English lessons from an EFL teacher with her own football boots? I need to top up my pension for Europa League jaunts..

PS: so22saint, do you need crew. DS and radio tickets!

Jesus, if my passionate defence, as you call it, is questioning his liability for something that he left behind three years ago, well you are more deluded than I thought.

I think most people have concluded that if you make the boxes cheaper and provide better food etc. Then the people will come but unfortunately your board of choice are struggling with that concept.

PS: so22saint, do you need crew. DS and radio tickets!

I'm in the Birmingham navy so occasionally need crew, but it's just about turning engines on :-)

Back to the boxes, they are empty space so utterly wasted if empty. the club should really look to promote these more actively and at realistic prices. Maybe turn them into a mini-suite for an overnight hotel experience