JRod Transfer Rumours

ART

Hello all, decided to sign up having watched this forum for ages. Been a saints fan since 1985, live in Dorset so don't get to as many games as I used to back in the 90s (family man, job etc) but I'm saints to the core. This Boufal looks like a class act, hope we can develop him AND hang onto him for a fair few years although I understand how we roll these days and it has to be said, we do it well. I hope we have a striker lined up to!

I think its the best thing for JRod. Get him back on the field so he can prove himself.

Hello, I'm a newly signed up member from the other side of the world. Have been a Saints fan for over 60 years and thanks to modern technology am able to watch every match from a distance. Have been following these threads with great interest for years now but think it will be good to have my say now.

I may have missed this in some fans' comments but does anyone share my feelings that JRod has never really been given enough game time since his return? The odd 10 minutes at the end of a game is never going to give him a chance to get any rhythm. Why haven't the Managers given him a start to more realistically assess his potential contribution?

just like a number of others on here, I am /was in favour of giving Jay a chance to get some real game time with a loan-out, but now.....? :rolleyes:

On today's performance it was Charlie Austin who needed the loan out . Claude Puel can already feel the hot breath on his neck, and IF he allows Jay Rod to go out on loan he will incur the wrath of more than a few unless we improve dramatically, ansd start scoring goals.

3 games....An unfamiliar formation giving over average 60% possession, 53 shots....(only a handful of those on target).....Result just 2 goals, and 2 " lucky " points.

The " big man / 9 spot " is up for grabs between Charlie and Jay Rod. If Jay Rod leaves on loan, then Charlie gets the job - by default (not a good solution)

Chas. maybe a bit off-form, but if he needs to spend any more time on the treatment table, we'll be in real trouble if JayRod is at the Hawthorns all season.

The Rodriguez's are homesick for the North more than first team football IMO.

Doubt very much Jay will play for us again unfortunately.

The pass from Lambert and Goal from Jay at Fulham, is a goal I'll always remember

'Twas a good goal but he's now scored another and your doubts are unfounded

I personally thought Austin looked fine. He had a couple of good chances and the goalie made a nice save on one to stop him. He was active and made a lot of nice runs. He was the only one when he was out there making the defense work. I would keep Redmond at #10, keep JRod, and rotate Austin, Long, and JRod in the 2 striker spots. We need three for sure, and I don't think anyone has really proved they are much better then the other two.

He came on and looked good, his volly shot was good and it was good to see him have a snap shot that caused a keeper error.

He needs to stay as simple as that and his interview after shows his frustrations of not playing, he should be rotated with Austin as the man leading the way with Long or Redmond, but ideally you want Jay Rod Long upfront with Redmond and Tadic outwide.

We simply cannot let him go now, that was the old Jay rod we saw out there yesterday he was excellent for the ten minutes he had. Austin looked knackered after 25 minutes and Redmond cannot play through the centre, he was always five yards behind the play yesterday and is not making any runs or showing any anticipation, he always wants the ball to feet. The one good thing you can say about Austin was that he was showing that anticipation & trying to break beyond the defence although his timing sucked. With all of the games we have coming up it would be stupid in the extreme to let any of our players go, we need to add to what we have already got with more quality in more areas than those mentioned.

Austins timing was good. Irritating that so many people are giving him stick for being offside. The amount of times he made a run, only to not be seen in time, forcing him to check his run then still not being seen in time was really annoying. Had the midfield and redmond/Tadic looked up and played the through ball straight away we would've had a couple of goals yesterday.

I have to say it hugely frustrates me how our fans jump on the back of players and the manager after just 3 games. I also question how many of the posters on here that are being so negative actually have watched our games???

Austin was not crap by any means yesterday. He was physical in the box and ran the line really well with a couple of really good instant snapshots. His problem was his team mates final ball to him.....if they had looked up and seen Charlies run he would never have been off side the times he was.....we were slow in releasing the ball to him.....hopefully that will come.

Why oh why are people lauding Jay Rod as the next messaih just because he scored a goal that went straight through the keeper??......Long had an excellent shot tipped round the post, Austin had a couple of very good efforts the keeper saved......had the keeper f*cked up with any of those efforts would you all be now saying Austin has to now be the the one having a run of games or Long???

I watched all the pre-season games, the under 23 game and the the 3 prem games played so far......Jay Rod is lacking badly in confidence and sharpness, I saw nothing in any of those games that made me think he was ready to lead the line. He needs a good run and for that reason i honestly believe a loan would be a good thing for the player.

I personally thought Austin looked fine. He had a couple of good chances and the goalie made a nice save on one to stop him. He was active and made a lot of nice runs. He was the only one when he was out there making the defense work. I would keep Redmond at #10, keep JRod, and rotate Austin, Long, and JRod in the 2 striker spots. We need three for sure, and I don't think anyone has really proved they are much better then the other two.

As a matter of fact ....so did I, but he didn't score.... and when you look at the final result you have to tell yourself that's why he was there.

On the other hand....I am one of many who was glad for JayRod and hope to goodness he doesn't go out on loan. Just keep rotating JayRod and Austin ....till it works.

I would keep Redmond at #10, keep JRod, and rotate Austin, Long, and JRod in the 2 striker spots.

I would be more confident with this set up, can't help but think that trying to build a side around a Redmond who is in an unfamiliar and unproven position is a recipe for disaster.

Sky sources are telling us that Southampton now plan to keep Jay Rodriguez after he was linked with a loan move to West Brom andHull.

Our understanding is that Southampton were considering letting him out on loan to get game time after spending so much of the last two seasons injured.

The forward, 27, scored his side’s late equaliser against Sunderland at St Mary’s yesterday and has made just 14 first-team appearances since suffering a knee injury in April 2014.

Sky sources are telling us that Southampton now plan to keep Jay Rodriguez after he was linked with a loan move to West Brom andHull.

Our understanding is that Southampton were considering letting him out on loan to get game time after spending so much of the last two seasons injured.

The forward, 27, scored his side’s late equaliser against Sunderland at St Mary’s yesterday and has made just 14 first-team appearances since suffering a knee injury in April 2014.

If that turns out to be true then you really do need to question the club's transfer planning. Most on here think that we have it all mapped out and that everything we do is carefully planned. If JRod stays then it shows that, this summer at least, the club is purely reactionary. We were all set to loan out JRod and are now keeping him on the basis of a goal that he hit straight at the keeper and which should have been saved. Either that or Boufal's failed the medical.

If that turns out to be true then you really do need to question the club's transfer planning. Most on here think that we have it all mapped out and that everything we do is carefully planned. If JRod stays then it shows that, this summer at least, the club is purely reactionary. We were all set to loan out JRod and are now keeping him on the basis of a goal that he hit straight at the keeper and which should have been saved. Either that or Boufal's failed the medical.

Whether it turns out to be true or not you will still question the club's transfer policy. You can plan all day long but you will also need to change those plans to meet changing situations.

Luke said in his pre match presser that they had to decide whether it was better to keep,JRod or loan him out for game time. I suggest yesterday will have made that decision easier.

Hello, I'm a newly signed up member from the other side of the world. Have been a Saints fan for over 60 years and thanks to modern technology am able to watch every match from a distance. Have been following these threads with great interest for years now but think it will be good to have my say now.

I may have missed this in some fans' comments but does anyone share my feelings that JRod has never really been given enough game time since his return? The odd 10 minutes at the end of a game is never going to give him a chance to get any rhythm. Why haven't the Managers given him a start to more realistically assess his potential contribution?

I do agree. Jay has to be given game time, and although it may still be too early for him to play at his best for 90 minutes , as a sub he will steadily improve. Puel does seem to have a negative attitude.

Here is another article from Sky saying that Rodriguez is staying put:

http://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/12691/10555660/jay-rodriguez-set-to-stay-at-southampton-rathern-than-make-loan-move-sky-sources.

Personally I welcome that. I was at the Man Utd game, standing among the home fans trying not to be noticed, but doing that gave me a different perspective to his performance than most others will have gained. I know it was televised but the problem with any television coverage is that you only get to see what the cameras are focusing on.

What I saw from my particular vantage point was that Austin's touch and positioning was poor (this is not meant as a criticism of Austin, just an obervation), while in just the short time that he appeared Rodriguez achieved far more than him. Yes, his confidence was clearly low, but it seemed to grow with every moment he was on the pitch. It struck me that if that continued it would not be very long before we see Rodriguez finally rediscovering the ability that brought him to Saints in the first place. I would not be surprised to learn that Puel has now come to the same conclusion and buoyed by the upturn in form has decided to make him a more significant part of his plans in the longer term.

I can't work out this sudden "volte-face" .... yesterday's cameo surely can't have caused it, despite his goal?

So there are 3 likely scenarios, either signing his replacement has hit a snag, Jay Rod himself has reconsidered, or Puel has had an epiphany. Either way its a bit hit and miss, this sort of thing should have been sorted before now.

Personally I want him to stay, a half fit unconfident JayRod is still a better bet than some preening, stepping stone Johnny Foreigner.

I can't work out this sudden "volte-face" .... yesterday's cameo surely can't have caused it, despite his goal?

So there are 3 likely scenarios, either signing his replacement has hit a snag, Jay Rod himself has reconsidered, or Puel has had an epiphany. Either way its a bit hit and miss, this sort of thing should have been sorted before now.

Personally I want him to stay, a half fit unconfident JayRod is still a better bet than some preening, stepping stone Johnny Foreigner.

So much for long-term planning and a clear strategy about needs and priorities.

Austins timing was good. Irritating that so many people are giving him stick for being offside. The amount of times he made a run, only to not be seen in time, forcing him to check his run then still not being seen in time was really annoying. Had the midfield and redmond/Tadic looked up and played the through ball straight away we would've had a couple of goals yesterday.

yes i agree he kept checking his runs and was getting frustrated with the slow balls from midfield

If that turns out to be true then you really do need to question the club's transfer planning.

Most on here think that we have it all mapped out and that everything we do is carefully planned.

Several times Les Reed has stated that we try to identify potential signings months in advance, and don't punt for someone just because they had a good Euro.

It doesn't mean we can get that player just because we can pay the asking price, sometimes they might not want to come, or can't agree terms. Maybe they go elsewhere.

Les stated the same again, most recently in interview (on You Tube), which ironically was a week or so before Koeman up and left, after which everything went on hold.

The Redmond transfer was obviously a done deal (said he'd talked to JWP and Targett about it at U21 camp), although I can think that Hojdbjerg would have been our sort of target for a while. Everything else stopped until we found a new manager (in Puel) who as we see has his own ideas about formation / players etc.

I can only assume that after the Osvaldo fiasco the club thinks twice about buying in players they haven't done " due diligence" on - (as Les Reed always seem to quote).

Jeremy Pied was " Puel's Coco Martina ". A low-cost transfer for a player he thought CDAJFU. Can't see Pied being in the top 50 anywhere in our Black Box?

Jay Rod (the subject of this thread) does need game time, and on Saturday seemed to have convinced a lot of people - that it should be with Saints.

Over to you Claude.

Edited by david in sweden

Trouble is any of our other strikers could have taken that chance on and scored, Austin had to shoot early as he didn't have the pace to outrun the defender.

Apart from press speculation, was there ever anything more from the club than Puel's answer to the question in the recent press conference? Because if not then the fourth and most likely scenario is that there was next to no chance of him going in the first place.