JRod Transfer Rumours

ART

Stek was only ever a loan to cover Forster's injury. Ramirez played about 3 games for us last year, you can't count him as a player lost. Likewise, Juanmi contributed sweet FA.

In McCarthy and Redmon we have basically replaced 4 of the players you've listed.

Hoj replaces Wanyama.

Austin replaces Pelle

Basically were left needing a replacement for Mané with Pied as extra cover.

You stated we are only one squad player down from last season, that isn't true.

I am fully aware Stek was brought in as cover for Frazer (whilst he was injured) but he was still one of our 25 man squad all season and we still had to pay his wages; ditto with Kelvin and ditto with Gazza (who I had forgotten about last night). So yes, Palace's 3rd/4th choice 'keeper has replaced 3 of our squad from last season. Thus, surely, we should have room to sign 2 more players in other positions (Pied plus one?)

Juanmi, whilst not contributing much on the pitch, was also in squad (and taking wages) all season. Additionally, Ramirez played at the beginning of last season and we continued to pay a third of his salary all season. I agree that Redmond effectively replaces both of these, but I doubt he is on as much of a salary as their's combined. Thus, surely we have wriggle room there?

Agree that Hoj is Victor's replacement, I never said otherwise. Hoj is certainly an all round better player than Victor, but doesn't, I feel. offer the same protection to the defence.

So, again, it is up front where we are significantly weaker than at the previous season's end. At that point we had Austin, Pelle and Mane on our books - available to play and being paid. In addition, Gallagher (IMO, our best development squad attacker) is now also out on a season long loan. If, as you say, Austin replaces Pelle, who has replaced Austin?

We are far more than just one squad player down on last season. At present, we are significantly weaker and with more matches to play - with all the travelling, etc, involved. If we were to loan JRod out, without bringing a further player in, we will certainly be struggling once one or two injuries are picked up.

To even be standing still we need to bring in two more forwards by the end of the month (although that still means we have been deficient during the opening weeks of the season). If we let JRod go, we need to bring in a third. Having qualified for Europe, for the second season running, this was our opportunity to push on and improve - not just stand still. Standing still, in this league, is effectively going backwards as all other teams strive to improve.

My fear is, with only 8 days left of the window, that this will be our last year in Europe for quite some time. I hope we get to enjoy it!

At the moment our 25 man squad is probably something like

Forster

McCarthy

Lewis

Pied

Martina

Cédric

Fonte

Virgil

Yoshi

Gardos

Bertrand

Targett

Davis

JWP

Clasie

Romeu

Hojbjerg

Reed

Austin

J Rod

Long

Redmond

Tadic

It leaves room for 2 more. There could be 2 signings or one of the spaces could be Isgrove or Stephens.

A fit Jay would be a huge plus for our season.

That's the thing isn't it? He should be a huge plus. We just have to trust the decision makers on him because we don't know how he fits or plays in this system.

In theory, he should suit it very well. He's powerful, quick & has played as both a striker and attacking left forward. On paper, he fits this formation like a glove.

If fitness is the issue why wasn't he given more minutes in pre season? He was absolutely superb when fit so hopefully he will get back to that level. Austin and JRod up front could do well for us.

I think you've probably answered your own question there. He maybe 'fit' but he's clearly not match fit and it must be considered highly unlikely he will ever return to the form he had when he was selected for the WC. His game was largely based on pace. Whether he can reinvent himself to an alternative style remains to be seen and perhaps is his only chance to return to the first team. All supposition of course on my behalf.

If fitness is the issue why wasn't he given more minutes in pre season? He was absolutely superb when fit so hopefully he will get back to that level. Austin and JRod up front could do well for us.

We've come this far, why rush him now and risk a further set back? Bit by bit.

Davis

JWP

Clasie

Romeu

Hojbjerg

Reed

God that's an insipid midfield :( (to think we had Schneiderlin and Wanyama once !)

Edit: Just noticed you missed out Tadic.

Edit 2: Just feeling depressed thinking that at one point in time we had Mane, Schneiderlin, Tadic and Wanyama :(

Edited by Fatboy40

Too right. With Morgan and Wanyama holding we could let 4 players attack. Even then, we probably needed an upgrade on Davis if we wanted to progress. Now we've lost that key midfield, the thing that kept us going IMO. The media had their fun when we sold players and Koeman came in, but he came in to find a central midfield of Wanyama and Schneiderlin. That's a huge boost for anyone and insures you won't get beaten easily.

Now, the midfield looks a mess, the options just look week. Fair play Hojbjerg looks like another Schneiderlin possibly, but we need another Wanyama now, and then to play them together. Then we need to replace Mane and Pelle.

That's just not going to happen is it. 3 massive signings all being successful in the next week. Weeks ago Guan said don't worry 2 signings are on the horizon, and it was a back up goalkeeper and back up right back. I'm amazed so many still seem fine will the reduced quality of our team.

They think they're being positive backing the club etc., but it just seems like tremendously low expectations and accepting mediocrity when we're proven we can do so much more.

agree adrian. Les stated that we have the best midfield in the league.

but in reality, the first time since returning to the prem that we are lightweight in the middle of the park

If we loan him out and then sell Fonte I am seeking a ST refund - seriously, why lose anyone when we have a Europa League campaign? Would be utter foolishness - and don't say we can buy in more/better, as they wouldn't gel until Xmas when it would be all far too late.

Absolutely. Has anyone told Puel we are in the Premier League and the Europa Cup? A lot more ambition needed in the transfer window and get rid of this small club mentality. Is our manager struggling to motivate our players? He does not smile or seem confident. Feel underwhelmed at the moment with Gaston, Wanyama and Mane doing well. good to see Clyne making a mess of Hull's first goal.

Absolutely. Has anyone told Puel we are in the Premier League and the Europa Cup? A lot more ambition needed in the transfer window and get rid of this small club mentality. Is our manager struggling to motivate our players? He does not smile or seem confident. Feel underwhelmed at the moment with Gaston, Wanyama and Mane doing well. good to see Clyne making a mess of Hull's first goal.

Can anyone confirm this?? Anyone??!!

Puel doesn't smile, we ARE ****ED.

I refuse to give the miserable git no more than 3 games to turn this around, i appreciate that's 1 or 2 games more than most but i am unusually optimistic.

I know most people look for nice hair in a manager, but a smile is equally important.

Too right. With Morgan and Wanyama holding we could let 4 players attack. Even then, we probably needed an upgrade on Davis if we wanted to progress. Now we've lost that key midfield, the thing that kept us going IMO. The media had their fun when we sold players and Koeman came in, but he came in to find a central midfield of Wanyama and Schneiderlin. That's a huge boost for anyone and insures you won't get beaten easily.

Now, the midfield looks a mess, the options just look week. Fair play Hojbjerg looks like another Schneiderlin possibly, but we need another Wanyama now, and then to play them together. Then we need to replace Mane and Pelle.

That's just not going to happen is it. 3 massive signings all being successful in the next week. Weeks ago Guan said don't worry 2 signings are on the horizon, and it was a back up goalkeeper and back up right back. I'm amazed so many still seem fine will the reduced quality of our team.

They think they're being positive backing the club etc., but it just seems like tremendously low expectations and accepting mediocrity when we're proven we can do so much more.

I wish we had Morgan and Victor but we don't. We have replaced them with Rom and Hoj who as individual players may not be quiet as good but could be in the future with the right management.

On the up side, we have a settled back five, whereas Koeman had to replace Lovren, Shaw, Chambers and we had a new keeper too.

We need to replace Mané but if we do we will have Austin, JRod and Redmond/Long on the bench. That's fairly decent attacking depth, when you consider 4 years ago we started the season with Dan Seaborne, Guly and Steve De Ridder in the squad. That's the time to worry.

Don't really get what is it in for us with a loan deal. J-Rod obviously needs game time as he looked like he was running through treacle at the back end of last season and didn't look much better during the pre-season just gone. Surely our European games would be a great way to give him the game time and confidence he is in desperate need of, as well as allowing us to rotate the squad. Loan him to West Brom and if he does well he will come back to us with 2 years left on his contract and no doubt with the vultures circling. We can dress it up as being in the long term interests of the club and player but if he goes out on loan then he's probably played his last game for us. Which would be a real shame IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's just had a full pre season and should be just as fit as everyone else. Thought he looked very good when coming on against Espanyol, beat 3/4 players with one run with the ball seemingly stuck to his feet.

Can't understand why he's being written off when he's not being given the game time. Besides he took ages to settle when he first joined us and we've got so few options in attacking areas.

I refuse to give the miserable git no more than 3 games to turn this around, i appreciate that's 1 or 2 games more than most but i am unusually optimistic.

I know most people look for nice hair in a manager, but a smile is equally important.

Sour faced miserable git couldn't even be bothered to acknowledge Shane Long when he was substituted the other night. A massive f.ck up losing RK

He's just had a full pre season and should be just as fit as everyone else. Thought he looked very good when coming on against Espanyol, beat 3/4 players with one run with the ball seemingly stuck to his feet.

Can't understand why he's being written off when he's not being given the game time. Besides he took ages to settle when he first joined us and we've got so few options in attacking areas.

I personally think there was more to his injury last season than the club made out.

Why would ANY centre forward looking to revive his career sign for Tony Pullis. ?

The guy makes Fat Sam seem cultured and progressive.

Exactly. WTF is going on at the club? Why would you loan one of your most promising players to a rival? Tha lad needs game time at Saints. We've got more than enough fixtures ahead to give him everything he needs. As we are we don't look like scoring goals. He could easily be our solution. Redmond is not a striker. He should be out wide getting the ball in the box for players like J-Rod. Doing stupid things like loaning him to a rival is sure to come back to haunt us.

Honestly, this club drive me ****ing mad at times.

Sour faced miserable git couldn't even be bothered to acknowledge Shane Long when he was substituted the other night. A massive f.ck up losing RK

Could have been because Long took off his armband and flung it to the pitch when he realized he was being subbed.

God that's an insipid midfield :( (to think we had Schneiderlin and Wanyama once !)

Edit: Just noticed you missed out Tadic.

Edit 2: Just feeling depressed thinking that at one point in time we had Mane, Schneiderlin, Tadic and Wanyama :(

Yep, Clasie, JWP, Reed and Davis are all pretty much the same type of player.

We have plenty of bodies in centre mid, but there still seems to be a Wanyama shaped hole in there to me, Romeu is the only out and out defensive mid there and no one really offers much pace and power.

Hojberg is the stand out in quality, but for me he replaces what we lost in Morgan, that box to box complete player.

Would feel more comfortable if we signed another defensive mid, not to mention played a different formation that actually suited out players.

Anyway, don't see why we would need a replacement for Jay Rod if he goes on loan, just have a recall clause. He's going because he's not getting game time, even Austin is struggling for game time.

So why would we need another player in up front?

IF we get the two attacking players in, they could fill in up front if needed plus for cup games, bench time etc. is where you bring the youngsters in.

Would only be a serious worry if Long/Austin/Redmond got a long term injury.

Otherwise whoever we bring in is just sitting on the bench for long periods.

I was accused of all sorts when I mentioned on here that JR original operation was allegedly a huge botch job and how it has taken another 2 operations to sort it out. He'll never be the same player again. I stand by that comment.

I think we should start him vs Sunderland and see what he can do or at least give him 20 mins, as others have said EL would be a good option for him to regain fitness and or league cup game/s, with super sub appearances.

But if we do loan him out IMO the loan should be until Jan or end of the season with a recall option in Jan.

I was accused of all sorts when I mentioned on here that JR original operation was allegedly a huge botch job and how it has taken another 2 operations to sort it out. He'll never be the same player again. I stand by that comment.

Looks like he will go to WBA. I doubt J-Rod will play another game in Saints colours; that injury really was a career changer - poor lad.

Wonder about a short loan - until January for instance. Being able to bring him back for no fee halfway through season covers us if new signings take a while to get into gear, and allows us to weaken a rival if he is excellent for Baggies

We are blowing this season.

We are toothless going forwards but J-Rod is going out on loan and we play a formation that totally nullifies the strengths of Pele's replacement

Fonte is going to leave at the last minute before the window shuts, with our board left unable to find a replacement as they delude themselves he will sign a new contract (just like Clyne and Big Vic were going to..)

And we have lost over 2 summers all our DM power without replacement.

F**k me Uncle Les has his head up his arse about his strategic planning this summer..

We are blowing this season.

We are toothless going forwards but J-Rod is going out on loan and we play a formation that totally nullifies the strengths of Pele's replacement

Fonte is going to leave at the last minute before the window shuts, with our board left unable to find a replacement as they delude themselves he will sign a new contract (just like Clyne and Big Vic were going to..)

And we have lost over 2 summers all our DM power without replacement.

F**k me Uncle Les has his head up his arse about his strategic planning this summer..

Sorry mate, you got no idea! All just speculation, rumours, interpretation.

For new signings, wait until Sep 1.

For the formation, having a target man is what Koeman loved (hoofball) but isn't the only tactic in the world. A lot of teams treat the old target CF as the back up plan (think bringing Carroll, Benteke, Crouch off the bench).

For the midfield, agree Vic and MS were world class. Difficult for Saints to adequately replace in terms of the new signings being at the same quality as those that just left..

Romeu seems alright, Hojbjerg looks cream and Davis is still kicking along. It's weaker, for sure, but in any case there's a lot of potential to control games with that midfield. Maybe just less consistently than before.

Sorry mate, you got no idea! All just speculation, rumours, interpretation.

For new signings, wait until Sep 1.

For the formation, having a target man is what Koeman loved (hoofball) but isn't the only tactic in the world. A lot of teams treat the old target CF as the back up plan (think bringing Carroll, Benteke, Crouch off the bench).

For the midfield, agree Vic and MS were world class. Difficult for Saints to adequately replace in terms of the new signings being at the same quality as those that just left..

Romeu seems alright, Hojbjerg looks cream and Davis is still kicking along. It's weaker, for sure, but in any case there's a lot of potential to control games with that midfield. Maybe just less consistently than before.

Eddie, you are right the window isnt shut, but we are leaving it later and later every season and it leaves a LOT of risk of it going wrong.

How serious is Mourinho about Fonte ? Have they spoken already ? Are Saints actually seriously considering he might go at the last minute leaving us to play Yoshi until at least January if they get caught on the hop ?

There may be other tactics, but they arent working currently. We should have buried Manyoo before the Zlatan w**kfest started in earnest.

"alright", "potential to control games", "maybe just less consistently"; are these words you expected to ascribe to Saints performance over the summer, based on last season and qualifying for the Europa League, or did you expect us to crack on and get adequate replacements for the known likely departures ???

Mane alone not being replaced will kill this season.

Eddie, you are right the window isnt shut, but we are leaving it later and later every season and it leaves a LOT of risk of it going wrong.

How serious is Mourinho about Fonte ? Have they spoken already ? Are Saints actually seriously considering he might go at the last minute leaving us to play Yoshi until at least January if they get caught on the hop ?

There may be other tactics, but they arent working currently. We should have buried Manyoo before the Zlatan w**kfest started in earnest.

"alright", "potential to control games", "maybe just less consistently"; are these words you expected to ascribe to Saints performance over the summer, based on last season and qualifying for the Europa League, or did you expect us to crack on and get adequate replacements for the known likely departures ???

Mane alone not being replaced will kill this season.

I don't know about Fonte and Mourinho, my gut feeling is that, sharing the same agent, there have been talks taking place. If he goes I expect either a new signing (my preference), or that Bertrand plays at CB with Targett on the left. Yoshida is our backup along with whatever potential is there in Gardos. Quite honestly mate I don't know what their plan is, I think he's a big loss but VVD is clearly marked out as our future captain. In my mind Fonte leaving this season is 1 year too early, but manageable.

We've had two competitive games to test the system, didn't make best use out of the way the players we have are used to playing, but we still did well in fairness. Losing at home wasn't good, away at Utd not bothered , both games (second half Utd) looked decent-composed level and imagine a couple of more signings and we'll have a squad that can really compete.

those words I used are realistic...I definitely didn't expect us to sign a replacement like for like for Mane unless we had discovered a gem that no one else has. Those kind of players are running out fast. We got away with it two seasons ago. Now our head of recruiting changed, no problem, but wouldn't be surprised if we aren't as strong in that dept. (Mitchell found Alli as soon as he went to Spurs). I expect us to be competitive, quite how we do that I'm not bothered by. I sort of like how we have a different mound to Palace or Everton, not about big shouty transfers or waving the cash in others faces. It's subtle, it's well done, it's calm, and it gets the job done.

I'm excited to see who will come in.

About our midfield...it's natural that we will be weaker without Wanyama or Morgan, in ti sense that to replace them like for like would take money we don't have. However we've got more positions to fill now with a diamond...3 where before there were 2 CM/DM. I think Hojbjerg gave me confidence that the clubs on the right track. Ultimately a suspended or lazy Wanyama is as crap as a poor Romeu. A solid Romeu, Hojbjerg, Clasie/Davis is very good indeed. Just remains to be seen how well they perform, the confidence etc etc. But it's one season. We've got a surprising number of starters. There are key positions we wait to be filled but Forster, VVD, Fonte, Bertrand, Hojbjerg, Davis, Tadic, Redmond have all but nailed down starting positions. Maybe there are questions around Pied/Cedric, Long/Austin, Clasie etc. Still, not bad to have got so many positions settled.