Police Investigations into historical interference with young players

spyinthesky

So in summary so far :

Higgins is sacked by Saints amid allegations.

Goes to court but is acquitted after no evidence comes forward.

Higgins gets himself further employment in football community.

2016 players name Higgins in fresh allegations.

Hardly a culture of sexual abuse at Southampton as initial reports had us believe.

I'm not trying to downplay what is a very serious business here, but am I right in thinking that basically, Saints sacked a wrongun when his alleged behaviour was reported and there endeth Saints involvement?

So in summary so far :

Higgins is sacked by Saints amid allegations.

Goes to court but is acquitted after no evidence comes forward.

Higgins gets himself further employment in football community.

2016 players name Higgins in fresh allegations.

Hardly a culture of sexual abuse at Southampton as initial reports had us believe.

I'm not trying to downplay what is a very serious business here, but am I right in thinking that basically, Saints sacked a wrongun when his alleged behaviour was reported and there endeth Saints involvement?

Yes fair summary. Papers and BBC south are slinging old mud

Well, Lawrie just seemingly contradicted Dave Merrington on Solent just now.

Dave said very clearly on Saturday to Adam Blackmore that he reported his concerns to management.

Lawrie just said 'if they had been aware, it would have been stopped straight away'.

Well if Dave told someone..you would've thought that Lawrie would've known.

Saints sacked Higgins when the allegations took place despite the fact he was subsequently acquitted, This may or may not have been around the time that Dave Merrington told Management. Saints were not trying to cover up anything as the world were aware of the situation because of the Court case. I find it hard to accept Lawrie's Statement on Solent for the reasons Channon's Sideburns states above. Unless, of course, Lawrie was not Manager then.

Saints sacked Higgins when the allegations took place despite the fact he was subsequently acquitted, This may or may not have been around the time that Dave Merrington told Management. Saints were not trying to cover up anything as the world were aware of the situation because of the Court case. I find it hard to accept Lawrie's Statement on Solent for the reasons Channon's Sideburns states above. Unless, of course, Lawrie was not Manager then.

I think it was all post mcMenemy, and maybe even towards the end of Chris Nicholls time as manager.

Higgins was dismissed by Saints and took pretty much all of his young players out of the Saints Youth set up and got them to other clubs. I think Higgins may also have advised Rod Wallace to leave as well.

Saints and Chelsea seem to be centre of attention, plus a little bit on Crewe. Why is this? Was this dreadful abuse mainly with us? In some ways I hope it is as that would mean others have not had to endure such a traumatic experience at the hands of these evil and manipulative paedos, but there seem to have been over 350 allegations made.

Why are we the main focus of the press?

Does anyone know what safeguards are in place now? I hope that the kids are spoken to and told that there are a number of people who can be approached and that they know that any threats that they might have faced will not materialise if approaching people for help.

It is easy to say times have changed and to some extent they have. But paedos haven't, they are still there and have just changed their way of preying on people as safeguards and checks are introduced

Saints and Chelsea seem to be centre of attention, plus a little bit on Crewe. Why is this? Was this dreadful abuse mainly with us? In some ways I hope it is as that would mean others have not had to endure such a traumatic experience at the hands of these evil and manipulative paedos, but there seem to have been over 350 allegations made.

Why are we the main focus of the press?

Because our academy is so successful....the gutter press want to tarnish it.

I think it was all post mcMenemy, and maybe even towards the end of Chris Nicholls time as manager.

Higgins was dismissed by Saints and took pretty much all of his young players out of the Saints Youth set up and got them to other clubs. I think Higgins may also have advised Rod Wallace to leave as well.

When Higgins left he took two players, Cureton and Eadie, with him and hawked them both to Norwich.

Regarding Rods transfer, Somehow over the course of time this 'act of treason' became the reason for Higgins departure from the club rather than Radfords allegations. However, Higgins left in 1989 and Rod moved in 1991.

Are we? I have read a lot about Crewe first, then quite some about Chelsea, and now a bit about us. Rightfully so, because we are the biggest club they can connect Higgins to, who is the latest name to come up (again).

The BBC (national news) had cameras outside SMS this morning, so yes we are. They did flash to a file picture of Fleet. But I take on board that Higgins is centre of attention at the moment.

I really do want to avoid portraying any thought that the investigation shouldn't be looking at Southampton, or the "why us", and hope it doesn't come across like that. I realise that it might, but hope it doesn't. It was merely musing as to why what seems to be sadly a rather wide spread system of abuse, that it is so focused by the press. I guess libel does come into it, and when they have a name that they can work with, they focus on it.

Yep Dan Roan let me down there:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38200993

The coach was at Fleet, but is not employed anymore. There was concern around the lack of screening. I'm not sure how much screening can be done if someone has not been convicted of a criminal offence.

CPS checks would have flagged up issues, conviction or not. The problem is CPS checks are only required/compulsory if you are working with young (under 18 players), apparently at Fleet he was working with the first team where CPS checks are not mandatory and were not carried out (as acknowledged by Fleet). It is a loophole in the FA requirements, even though working with the first team you are also more than likely to work with minors.

Higgins was Rod Wallace's agent, and agitated him to leave Saints.

Along with Ray. Who was the other lad that went with them as a triple move? Young promising midfielder if I recall who faded into obscurity.

CPS checks would have flagged up issues, conviction or not. The problem is CPS checks are only required/compulsory if you are working with young (under 18 players), apparently at Fleet he was working with the first team where CPS checks are not mandatory and were not carried out (as acknowledged by Fleet). It is a loophole in the FA requirements, even though working with the first team you are also more than likely to work with minors.

Question is, did Fleet not check his references or ask Saints about him? No point in pretending that they didn't know who he was and that he would have been with us. Maybe they knew about him and thought that as he was with 18+ that it didn't matter. Similarly, someone at Saints should have had a quiet word with someone at Fleet - maybe they did and Fleet took the 18+ route.

The BBC (national news) had cameras outside SMS this morning, so yes we are. They did flash to a file picture of Fleet. But I take on board that Higgins is centre of attention at the moment.

I really do want to avoid portraying any thought that the investigation shouldn't be looking at Southampton, or the "why us", and hope it doesn't come across like that. I realise that it might, but hope it doesn't. It was merely musing as to why what seems to be sadly a rather wide spread system of abuse, that it is so focused by the press. I guess libel does come into it, and when they have a name that they can work with, they focus on it.

Given that Crewe had that amazing reputation under Dario Gradi for bringing on young players and we now have the same its only logical the press would look at us. Even though these are historical abuse allegations.

Thing is, if you were a kid in the 80s you knew all this sort of stuff went on and either experienced it yourself or knew someone who did. Remember that some of these allegations relate to physical abuse and that was absolutely rife (corporal punishment wasn't abolished until '85 I think?). I won't mention the (Southampton) school but at the one I went to I remember boys being hit with hockey sticks (and hooked between the legs with them) and also "watched" going through the showers by PE teachers. Also caned with metal rulers (I had that done to me by a metalwork teacher - to be fair I had just lobbed a chisel at someone...). Whilst utterly wrong and no doubt damaging it was par for the course. As others have said safeguarding didn't really exist back then.

Does anyone know what safeguards are in place now? I hope that the kids are spoken to and told that there are a number of people who can be approached and that they know that any threats that they might have faced will not materialise if approaching people for help.

It is easy to say times have changed and to some extent they have. But paedos haven't, they are still there and have just changed their way of preying on people as safeguards and checks are introduced

I don't know about the professional clubs, but at grassroots levels all decently run clubs will obtain FA Charter Standard (CS) status (there are 3 levels of accreditation, normal Charter Standard, Charter Standard Development club and Charter Standard Community Club). To be a CS club at any level, you need to have at least one Child Welfare Officer. Part of their role is to ensure that all coaches that deal with any players under 18YO are checked for a criminal record (CRB/DBS checked). These checks need to be redone every 3 years as a minimum. The FA do not recognise any other CRB checks from any other organisation, so you have to be checked through them - my club have a few teachers who coach who have been CRB'd via their schools, but still have to go through the FA CRB process (one of these teachers is the schools overall Child Welfare officer, checked to level 3 and still isn't exempt to coach with us).

In addition, the FA require all lead coaches from each age group to have attended a Safeguarding Children workshop. I don't think it is mandatory for all assistant coaches to have attended, but my club actively encourages them to go on them (and all other well run clubs would probably do the same). My club don't allow any coach that hasn't done that course to run a coaching session without a coach who has been on it present. Again, this course needs to be redone every 3 years as a minimum and there are some scary examples told on those courses which really make you think about the safety of the kids.

I do agree with you that these people will just try to find different ways, but at least clubs with any level of Charter Standard should have many coaches who have been through checks and courses to look out for any signs of strange behaviour and have a Child Welfare officer available for any concerns to be reported to.

Higgins or another? You can say Higgins, it's in the media !

The football coach being 'accused' by former players was employed from the late 70s

The most important part in what anyone is going to say on here is 'accused' being added because at the moment there is no court case and nobody has been found guilty of anything. In the Daily Mail yesterday a former player called Neil Kerlake made accusations and he left in 1983 or 84. So that predates the events of the late 80s.

The bit that gets me is this.

3-4 days ago, no press mentioned his name. Now, it's open season all of a sudden. I don't think for a second personally that he's innocent, but like post above says, he's not been convicted of anything (for whatever reason).

VIP paedos in the establishment circles - press won't even go there with naming them without an active court case ending.

The football coach being 'accused' by former players was employed from the late 70s

The most important part in what anyone is going to say on here is 'accused' being added because at the moment there is no court case and nobody has been found guilty of anything. In the Daily Mail yesterday a former player called Neil Kerlake made accusations and he left in 1983 or 84. So that predates the events of the late 80s.

That dating wouldn't rule out the accused though - a few of the photos used by the press show him in the old style Patrick training kit - which we used from 80 through to about 86.

Interesting, thanks. I assumed the CPS would remove the charges from his profile considering that he was acquitted when the Crown called no evidence. He is after all innocent until proven guilty. At this stage they are unproven allegations. I'm not sure that I agree with the state sticking unproven offences to someone in this way, but that is a debate for another day.

I don't know about the professional clubs, but at grassroots levels all decently run clubs will obtain FA Charter Standard (CS) status (there are 3 levels of accreditation, normal Charter Standard, Charter Standard Development club and Charter Standard Community Club). To be a CS club at any level, you need to have at least one Child Welfare Officer. Part of their role is to ensure that all coaches that deal with any players under 18YO are checked for a criminal record (CRB/DBS checked). These checks need to be redone every 3 years as a minimum. The FA do not recognise any other CRB checks from any other organisation, so you have to be checked through them - my club have a few teachers who coach who have been CRB'd via their schools, but still have to go through the FA CRB process (one of these teachers is the schools overall Child Welfare officer, checked to level 3 and still isn't exempt to coach with us).

In addition, the FA require all lead coaches from each age group to have attended a Safeguarding Children workshop. I don't think it is mandatory for all assistant coaches to have attended, but my club actively encourages them to go on them (and all other well run clubs would probably do the same). My club don't allow any coach that hasn't done that course to run a coaching session without a coach who has been on it present. Again, this course needs to be redone every 3 years as a minimum and there are some scary examples told on those courses which really make you think about the safety of the kids.

I do agree with you that these people will just try to find different ways, but at least clubs with any level of Charter Standard should have many coaches who have been through checks and courses to look out for any signs of strange behaviour and have a Child Welfare officer available for any concerns to be reported to.

When I was the nominated linesman and occasional Ref for my lads Tyro team, I had to be CRB checked. There was no unsupervised contact with kids but I had to go through the procedure and pay for the Police check.

It all seemed rather unnecessary then but understand the reasons more readily now

btw the abuse I got as a lino/ref at tyro level was far more than when I had to do it occasionally at Sunday league level.!!!

btw the abuse I got as a lino/ref at tyro level was far more than when I had to do it occasionally at Sunday league level.!!!

This is sadly true and some parents need to have a word with themselves - they wouldn't think shouting at their kid and confusing them when they're doing their homework would help them learn, so why they think that works on the touch lines is beyond me.

More in The Guardian today on a general article:

Ed Smethurst, a lawyer for a couple of the complainants:

"There are specific allegations against specific individuals, many of whom have been rumoured to be involved for a very long period of time, some of whom still work in the senior echelons of football, and it’s extremely worrying.”

When I was the nominated linesman and occasional Ref for my lads Tyro team, I had to be CRB checked. There was no unsupervised contact with kids but I had to go through the procedure and pay for the Police check.

It all seemed rather unnecessary then but understand the reasons more readily now

They relaxed DBS (replacement to CRB) requirements I thought as was discouraging parents to volunteer for anything. May be wrong but seems excessive just to referee a kids game and a false sense of security.

They just had an interview with Harry Redknapp on Radio 4 Today programme. He didn't really add much except to say that there were rumours about Higgins when he was coaching Bournemouth and Portsmouth. He also said he was sure that McMenemy and Merrington would have booted him out if they'd known anything. He seemed to row back a bit when the interviewer asked him if he would have had concerns about Jamie going to Southampton when he was a boy, just saying that he was happy at Tottenha and the stuff about Higgins came later (or was it earlier? I was as confused as Harry by the end).

I thought Redknapp spoke sensibly and concisly; it surprised me that he did not resort to the language of the tabloids. One interesting thing he said was that Higgins was found 'not guilty' on the direction of the judge. I am not going to speculate on the 'whys' of either of those points but it shows that if you are looking for theories of conspiracy you can easily construct them.

Higgins had some lads that were loyal to him which I found strange at the time. Apart from the Wallaces the very talented left winger Darren Eadie left Saints for Norwich where I thought Higgins went after leaving Saints. It was a long time ago and it's something that rings a bell.

No they're not. It would seem that man has got a lot to answer for.

But it's all historical abuse for which he was tried and not found guilty. I am not saying he is innocent but as far as I can tell all these players coming forward are talking about events that happened in the 80s. Begs the question had they come forward before or at the time of the trial then maybe a conviction would have been obtained.

Higgins had some lads that were loyal to him which I found strange at the time. Apart from the Wallaces the very talented left winger Darren Eadie left Saints for Norwich where I thought Higgins went after leaving Saints. It was a long time ago and it's something that rings a bell.

As Itchen has posted above as well, I was pretty sure Higgins had coached at Portsmouth as well and taken Darren Anderton with him to Pompey (remember as a lad that was mentioned at the time after Higgins' time ended with Saints). I may have that wrong as heresay of course. Hadn't heard about Eadie or Cureton moving from us to Norwich but would make sense.

Higgins became the Wallaces' agent and the club felt he put a lot of poison in their minds forcing multiple transfer requests etc. Real shame for Danny as MS took hold at Man U and Birmingham and he was only one year short of a full testamonial (1980-9). He eventually got one at SMS in the early 2000s (which I went to) but it was low-key affair for those of us old enough to remember his career whereas in the early 90s he'd have got a full house at the Dell. Still, another player manipulated all too easily by their agent (see Mendes and J Fonte).

Does anyone know for sure if Higgins worked for Portsmouth at all? It would appear that he's worked at pretty much every club in Hants at some point, there appears to be a lot of mud slinging from some of the more idiotic ones down the road over this, it would be very ironic if it turned out that they also employed this man...particularly if this was after his saints period.

But it's all historical abuse for which he was tried and not found guilty. I am not saying he is innocent but as far as I can tell all these players coming forward are talking about events that happened in the 80s. Begs the question had they come forward before or at the time of the trial then maybe a conviction would have been obtained.

From The Guardian today:

"A letter from the Football League, which at the time administered and regulated football from the top-flight professional game all the way down to youth level, said it was “opposed” to the “Bob Higgins Soccer Academy” (BHSA).

Dated 27 April 1989 and addressed to “the managers of all clubs”, it read: “I understand that you may recently have received a letter from Mr. Bob Higgins, inviting your club to become involved with the above organisation [bHSA].

“The Football Association, Football League and English Schools’ Football Association are opposed to this organisation and I would ask all clubs which might be thinking of becoming involved to give this office the opportunity of appraising them of the situation before taking any steps in this direction."

"The letter is signed by the secretary at the time, David Dent. It does not spell out exactly why the warning was issued. The Guardian has passed the letter on to the Football League, which is now branded the EFL. It said it was investigating the letter.

"Higgins worked with youngsters at Southampton, who are renowned for their youth system, in the 1980s, leaving in April 1989 – the same month as the letter was sent. In 1992 he faced charges of sexual offences against boys but was cleared on the direction of a judge."

Saints look to have brought Higgins to the attention of the football authorities at the time. He didn't try to get the club for wrongful dismissal either.

Rod Wallace I believe was offered a new higher paid contract with a year left on his old one. The reason he let his contract run out was that the agent I believe advised a clause allowing him to leave if the club were relegated which the club refused to entertain.

I was pretty sure Higgins had coached at Portsmouth as well and taken Darren Anderton with him to Pompey (remember as a lad that was mentioned at the time after Higgins' time ended with Saints).

I don't believe that is the case

Duncan

I have some degree of sympathy for your view on this

However circumstances were far different at the time and one lone voice would have found it very difficult to be heard amongst the general consensus at the time of sweeping such things under the carpet and, in fact, implicating the innocent party as well as the perpetrator.

I played football with a couple of lads who 'came out' in later life (we had our suspicions but nothing else) and they would have been slaughtered by some of their more 'vocal' teammates if the truth had been known.

I am pretty sure if I had been subject to abuse at the time I would have kept it quiet for the shame it would have brought on me

As I posted earlier I have a good mate, a real tough lad, who went through abuse as a youngster and kept it quiet for many years and, unbeknown to us, it affected his life as he grew up and I guess it still does to some extent

I was pretty sure Higgins had coached at Portsmouth as well and taken Darren Anderton with him to Pompey.

After playing for the youth team, Darren wasn't selected for the School of Excellence. His Dad phoned Pompey to come have a look at him and they took him on.