Selling Club

spyinthesky

Top players are motivated by two things - money & medals

We offered Fonte £80k recently so that appears to be our upper limit.....

Wanyama left us for Spurs for reported 70k pw so wages wasn't and isn't always the issue, what we don't offer is ambition and a genuine opportunity for players to compete for the title or champions league

Catch-22

Speaking of "money & medals", you talk about players staying if we compete for the title and Champions League, but N'golo Kante left the Champions and Champions League group qualifiers Leicester to go to 8th placed non-European qualifiers Chelsea... so what level of success are we going to need to achieve to keep those kind of players?

Speaking of "money & medals", you talk about players staying if we compete for the title and Champions League, but N'golo Kante left the Champions and Champions League group qualifiers Leicester to go to 8th placed non-European qualifiers Chelsea... so what level of success are we going to need to achieve to keep those kind of players?

See post 57 mate

NO.... with their Champions league revenue, we cant get close.

Actually, we can compete with them on wages even with their one time Champions league revenue bonus. What we can't do is compete with a club that makes the champions league regularly, has a world wide fan base to generate more money, and appears on TV a lot more than we do.

t.

this cant be right, Gemmel was so sure that we cant even breath in the same room as Leicester

I have never asked nor really expect Kat to put in her own money, she inherited the club and has no passion for us, I understand that.

However as a fan what I do expect and want is for the club to make available £10-20m each year for player transfers - NOT from Kats pocket and NOT from selling our players first but from the £150-200 million we receive each year (Tv money, gate recipients, commercial income etc)

I have ALSO acknowledged (many times) that every so often we will also have a player that will need to leave - players chased by the football elite (Barcelona, Real, Chelsea, Man U/C) and if we absolutely have to sell then let's take the money (all of it, not 50%) received and add it to the £10-20m that was already available and reinvest in top players

What I object to is net transfer PROFIT of £20-40m this summer and £30-50m in 2014. That's not Kat putting money in - that's the opposite mate

The problem is very few 30mil plus players want to come to us. So is we sell Mane for 35mil the best we can do is try to unearth a rough diamond. We will have ups and downs but seems to me to be the best way of operating at our level.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

The problem is very few 30mil plus players want to come to us. So is we sell Mane for 35mil the best we can do is try to unearth a rough diamond. We will have ups and downs but seems to me to be the best way of operating at our level.

I'm sure Benteke would have come to us had we gone in for him, whether you think he's worth that or not is a different matter, looking at our attack now he would be exactly what we need

Didn't need to be one in one out

We desperately needed a striker this summer (for example) but the club decided to save circa £40m instead

Didn't need to be one in one out

We desperately needed a striker this summer (for example) but the club decided to save circa £40m instead

But if every time we sell a player for £35M we buy two for £15 - 20M each surely we will just end up with a bloated squad, many of whom don't get enough game time, and block the opportunity for academy players.

The decision in the summer about forwards was surely that Austin, Long, JRod, Redmond, Tadic, Bouffal, was enough bodies for the front three positions knowing that Sims and Hesketh were looking to step up from the academy. Injuries and poor form have made that decision look wrong, but I can see why the club made it.

I'm sure Benteke would have come to us had we gone in for him, whether you think he's worth that or not is a different matter, looking at our attack now he would be exactly what we need

Benteke and Bolasie are just about the only attacking players who moved in the summer in the £25M plus range who might have come to us. The only reason their transfers happened was because Everton have a new owner and manager who wanted to splash the cash, and as a result Palace ended up being cash rich and could go for Benteke. I'm not sure either would have felt like value for money if we had bought them for the prices they went for.

But if every time we sell a player for £35M we buy two for £15 - 20M each surely we will just end up with a bloated squad, many of whom don't get enough game time, and block the opportunity for academy players.

The decision in the summer about forwards was surely that Austin, Long, JRod, Redmond, Tadic, Bouffal, was enough bodies for the front three positions knowing that Sims and Hesketh were looking to step up from the academy. Injuries and poor form have made that decision look wrong, but I can see why the club made it.

If we were serious about having some ambition (regular top 6 finishes as Les spoke about) we wouldn’t & shouldn’t be relying or assuming that Long, JRod and Redmond are going to deliver the goals we need - the wont happen (form or not)

2 for 1 each time is not what I am encouraging - but we have squads gaps right now and areas where we could strengthen. We didn’t do this fully instead preferring to bank £40m

Benteke and Bolasie are just about the only attacking players who moved in the summer in the £25M plus range who might have come to us. The only reason their transfers happened was because Everton have a new owner and manager who wanted to splash the cash, and as a result Palace ended up being cash rich and could go for Benteke. I'm not sure either would have felt like value for money if we had bought them for the prices they went for.

ouch just seen that Bolasie is out for season

Poor Koeman

If we were serious about having some ambition (regular top 6 finishes as Les spoke about) we wouldn’t & shouldn’t be relying or assuming that Long, JRod and Redmond are going to deliver the goals we need - the wont happen (form or not)

2 for 1 each time is not what I am encouraging - but we have squads gaps right now and areas where we could strengthen. We didn’t do this fully instead preferring to bank £40m

If you're not encouraging 2 for 1 each time and also say that we can't always replace like for like in terms of player value (post 108), where else are we supposed to put the money than in the bank? This is a rhetorical question as I know that some of it was invested in extended contracts, infrastructure etc.

If you're not encouraging 2 for 1 each time and also say that we can't always replace like for like in terms of player value (post 108), where else are we supposed to put the money than in the bank? This is a rhetorical question as I know that some of it was invested in extended contracts, infrastructure etc.

This summer I wouldn’t have signed Redmond (avg 1 goal in 11) id have gone for Benteke or tested Burnley for Gray or even Slimani who ended up at Leicester

I wanted us to add a goal scoring midfielder - someone like Chadli

I would have perhaps looked to offload Clasie and was pushing for us to go for Idirssa Gueye

I would have also added a CB this summer - Yoshi has done great this season, but imagine us right now if VVD picks up an injury

There was loads of opportunities for us this summer – saving another £40m wouldn’t have been on my agenda

This summer I wouldn’t have signed Redmond (avg 1 goal in 11) id have gone for Benteke or tested Burnley for Gray or even Slimani who ended up at Leicester

I wanted us to add a goal scoring midfielder - someone like Chadli

I would have perhaps looked to offload Clasie and was pushing for us to go for Idirssa Gueye

I would have also added a CB this summer - Yoshi has done great this season, but imagine us right now if VVD picks up an injury

There was loads of opportunities for us this summer – saving another £40m wouldn’t have been on my agenda

God help us if you were responsible for the spending at SFC.... You would have vastly overspent but picked the same 11 every game....

God help us if you were responsible for the spending at SFC.... You would have vastly overspent but picked the same 11 every game....

Really? We had a net transfer spend of +£20m

Add that to the transfer budget we started with - assume £20m you have £40m

Don't buy Redmond at £12m so now have £52m

Sell Clasie for 5-8m you have £60m

- Benteke 26m

- Gueye £7m

- Chadli £12m

That's £45 million so can by a CB for £5-15m

- Benteke 26m

- Gueye £7m

- Chadli £12m

You're such a genius at this, I can't believe the club haven't employed you yet. Its all so simple, and nothing to do with wages, other club's offers style of play, coach's preferences etc.

Oh, and hindsight of course.

Were we not cash rich then after selling Mane for £35m and Pelle for £15m. We bought Hojberg and Boufal for what £10m and £15m. That means we still had roughly £25m just from player sales, that's without TV revenue, gate receipts etc.

- Benteke 26m

- Gueye £7m

- Chadli £12m

Maybe on football manager, in real life it's a bit different. You've gotta persuade this lot to sign and perhaps you won't get what you want for Classie. You can't just pitch your Trumpesque "we've got ambition, the best ambition, it's tremendous, it's huge".

Then there's salary and signing bonus and clauses. We haven't done perfectly in the market but it's not as cut and dried as you make it.

this cant be right, Gemmel was so sure that we cant even breath in the same room as Leicester

Without any evidence given to support either view, what made you come to the conclusion above?

Can we compete with Leicester on wages?

What would it do to our debt/surplus balance for the length of the player contracts? How would it impact on money for future purchases, investment in infrastructure and cash flow? What impact would it make on the current strategy?

It's all a bit of a silly argument without using any financial data.

Maybe on football manager, in real life it's a bit different. You've gotta persuade this lot to sign and perhaps you won't get what you want for Classie. You can't just pitch your Trumpesque "we've got ambition, the best ambition, it's tremendous, it's huge".

Then theses salary and signing bonus and clauses. We haven't done perfectly in the market but it's not as cut and dried as you make it.

No I agree I've kept it very simple, but my point is its possibly possible ;)

I'm not suggesting we compete with Chelsea or City but when proven premier league quality like Benteke, Chadli and Gueye became available id like us to show some interest. We had more to offer than Palace, WBA and Everton this summer

- Benteke 26m

- Gueye £7m

- Chadli £12m

:mcinnes:

You want players others bought, of course you do...:rolleyes: then you would slag them off if they were here

What about this "11" only ridiculous idea?

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

Clasie, Redmond

You want to but players but only want to play same 11.... as you keep bleating on about Puel making changes... remember now..

Don't think I've slagged Clasie off? I'm not the biggest fan but don't typically slag off players

I also didn't say play the same 11 every week - I've simply questioned the reason why we make 6-8 changes for each game. For me that's not necessary

Don't think I've slagged Clasie off? I'm not the biggest fan but don't typically slag off players

I also didn't say play the same 11 every week - I've simply questioned the reason why we make 6-8 changes for each game. For me that's not necessary

You whine every week about "playing our best team" what does that mean then? or do we have several "best teams" ?

That`s called using the squad, you know this but just chose to be moronic about it...

You whine every week about "playing our best team" what does that mean then? or do we have several "best teams" ?

That`s called using the squad, you know this but just chose to be moronic about it...

Trouble is I'm not sure if Puel knows our best team. We don't play our best team and then rest players when necessary. We play two completely different teams. Will be interesting to see what happens when the number of games we have to play drops.

Trouble is I'm not sure if Puel knows our best team. We don't play our best team and then rest players when necessary. We play two completely different teams. Will be interesting to see what happens when the number of games we have to play drops.

Perhaps he doesnt actually have one and feels several players are equal in some areas...

Perhaps he doesnt actually have one and feels several players are equal in some areas...

Come on ALWAYS, it's not rocket surgery. It's easy, we just tell the best players to come to Saints, they'll take what we offer them as wages, pop 'em on the field each week and romp to the quadruple!

- Benteke 26m

- Gueye £7m

- Chadli £12m

whilst agree we should have invested in more players, its easy to pic the ones who have joined clubs and done ok. Many of the big buys are flops.

P!ssing in the wind as normal. Please please please do some ******* homework, research, reading whatever before you spout off. Based on their league finish and Champions League money alone, that gives them an extra 300k per week for wages more than we can spend - based on comparable attendances and corporate entertainment revenue (I'm sure Leicester will be much higher than us on Corporate, especially after last year) and 70% of turnover allowed towards FFP.

Fonte has publically mocked the fact that we were offering him 80k, suggesting it was nowhere near that amount. 300k a week difference means we can't compete. You are now on drying up duty.

Edited by Gemmel

P!ssing in the wind as normal. Please please please do some ******* homework, research, reading whatever before you spout off. Based on their league finish and Champions League money alone, that gives them an extra 300k for wages more than we can spend - based on comparable attendances and corporate entertainment revenue (I'm sure Leicester will be much higher than us on Corporate, especially after last year) and 70% of turnover allowed towards FFP.

Fonte has publically mocked the fact that we were offering him 80k. 300k a week difference means we can't compete. You are now on drying up duty.

If you belive the reports pal, he's not mocked the figure; rather the length of the contract.

Btw its publicly.

The reports I've seen claim he wants a longer contract.

Well pal - it's publically not publicity :scared::scared::scared::scared:

And the quotes on here from his social media accounts, purporting to be him have him saying the increase offered according to the press (Not new contract) was not 80k which anyone would be mad to turn down.

He might just want the publicity

Well pal - it's publically not publicity :scared::scared::scared::scared:

And the quotes on here from his social media accounts, purporting to be him have him saying the increase offered according to the press (Not new contract) was not 80k which anyone would be mad to turn down.

He might just want the publicity

Lost you pal.

Publicity: you might want get some glasses as well :lol:

you win;

Fonte has publicity mocked the fact we were offering him 80k.

ARE YOU SURE :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Publicly pal; not publicity.

That's what I wrote the first, second and third time.

You might want to get a dictionary as well as some glasses, you blind yokel :lol:

Publicly pal; not publicity.

That's what I wrote the first, second and third time.

You might want to get a dictionary as well as some glasses, you blind yokel :lol:

LMFAO - You were in fact trying to correct what you thought was a spelling mistake ..... On a football forum ( Lets not go into what you were saying was wrong about Fonte- as posted on here by many others) ......so back to the spelling

The Oxford English Dictionary defines both publically and publicly in the same way, i.e. as the adverb for 'public'. They are simply alternate spellings.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081113001235AAhO2kd

I feel sad and soiled that I even googled that to post on a football forum.

In fact I would say I feel publically humiliated :lol::lol:

LMFAO - You were in fact trying to correct what you thought was a spelling mistake ..... On a football forum ( Lets not go into what you were saying was wrong about Fonte- as posted on here by many others) ......so back to the spelling

The Oxford English Dictionary defines both publically and publicly in the same way, i.e. as the adverb for 'public'. They are simply alternate spellings.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081113001235AAhO2kd

I feel sad and soiled that I even googled that to post on a football forum.

In fact I would say I feel publically humiliated :lol::lol:

Publicly is the common spelling and used far more frequently. Publically is the nonstandard spelling and omitted from some dictionaries.

That's moot, though. You made an even bigger tit of yourself by conjuring publicity out of nowhere when in fact I used publicly throughout. Not content at being just a moron, you did that not once but several times to the point of self-congratulation -all while getting Fonte's situation back-to-front. Publicity? Really can you read or see :lol:

Take a bow, you daft yokel. Some exemplary work here.

Edited by shurlock