Alexandre Jankewitz

del boy

10 hours ago, Saint86 said:

On the bench for the Young Boyz tonight in their win over United (how bad is that for Ronaldo and co 😅).

It would appear that Young Boyz were aware of his last outing vs United as they sensibly chose to leave him on the bench for the full game. The result, this time it was united getting the red card and humiliatingly losing the game 👌🏼

My son-in-law was watching the game in his new Man U shirt. He was delighted with the result. 😁 I was hoping that Alex would have come on and scored against them but at least Young Boys won.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

For those who spent months loudly wondering why Ralph wasn't starting him and laying into the manager about it. Maybe he just wasn't very good.

Edited by TWar

Just now, CB Fry said:

Experts on this forum were convinced he was a world beater only last season, and that it was an absolute disgrace we let him go. That's still correct isn't it lads?

It is correct, I hope he ends up at Newcastle for £70m, after all he is leaving to get game time. 

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

It’s all a bit weird, a 19 year old demanding to leave a PL club for more game time, ending up in the Swiss league and still not getting picked. I can only assume some agent or adviser has him convinced he is far better than he actually is.

Or he knows he's not good enough for our level and just wants to play?

On 04/01/2022 at 12:12, TWar said:

For those who spent months loudly wondering why Ralph wasn't starting him and laying into the manager about it. Maybe he just wasn't very good.

Yeah, he must be awful to be getting a move to another top flight club. That happens to poor players. Or something. 

On 04/01/2022 at 12:59, LiberalCommunist said:

His agent doing a good job in helping me get that point. 

If that kid was as good as he thought he was, he'd be the next Messi. Terrible work shy attitude. 

The kid left here because he wanted to play, and has moved again because he wants to play. Where's the poor attitude in a player wanting to earn his wages? 

On 04/01/2022 at 13:41, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Or he knows he's not good enough for our level and just wants to play?

Which would be a very poor attitude for a 19 year old to have. At that age if you're telling yourself you aren't going to make it, that's not good. I don't believe it to be the case and I'd be very surprised if our academy has nurtured a player with such low self esteem.

10 minutes ago, egg said:

Yeah, he must be awful to be getting a move to another top flight club. That happens to poor players. Or something. 

The mighty St. Gallen no less! When you get snapped up by the third from bottom team in the Swiss league you know you've really made it! How could Ralph not sign off on starting someone in the best league in the world when they were a future St. Gallen star?!

The words "top flight club" are really doing some leg work there. 😂

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Which would be a very poor attitude for a 19 year old to have. At that age if you're telling yourself you aren't going to make it, that's not good. I don't believe it to be the case and I'd be very surprised if our academy has nurtured a player with such low self esteem.

I don't think wanting to play first team football has to be either arrogant or insecure, it's just a desire for the excitement and learning experience of real football and a belief that the transfer market will take you to your appropriate level

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TWar said:

The mighty St. Gallen no less! When you get snapped up by the third from bottom team in the Swiss league you know you've really made it! How could Ralph not sign off on starting someone in the best league in the world when they were a future St. Gallen star?!

Don't be a prick mate, it's a top flight club. If he was shit as you say, he'd be off to a lower league club. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TWar said:

Just for clarity, the following we’re playing for X club at a similar age (19/20)….

Beckham - Preston

Vardy - FC Halifax town (that mighty northern premier league side)

Kane - Leyton Orient 

The list can go on…. I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make my digging him out for wanting to go on loan to find first team football.. that’s the complete opposite of ‘workshy’ in my opinion. 

He was/is a highly rated youngster and the only time anyone was calling for him to get a chance starting was when we had multiple players out in his position to the point where our manager even put CB’s in his position, ahead of him. For a club that loves to promote ‘the pathway’, that doesn’t quite align, does it. 

As a direct comparison, where would someone like, say smallbone, end up if we were to Loan them out? Mid table championship at best?

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, egg said:

Don't be a prick mate, it's a top flight club. If he was shit as you say, he'd be off to a lower league club. 

I'm not being a prick. You have to admit the fact that he couldn't get a game in the Swiss league for young boys isn't exactly a glowing recommendation of his quality, given it is a much lower quality league than Ralph would have had to play him in. And honestly being snapped up by a team like St. Gallen, who would likely be like league 1 quality in England at best, is not really enough to disprove that. Saying they are a top flight team is pretty meaningless, top flight teams in non-big 5 leagues are often very very low quality, especially near the bottom of the league.

2 hours ago, Dman said:

Just for clarity, the following we’re playing for X club at a similar age (19/20)….

Beckham - Preston

Vardy - FC Halifax town (that mighty northern9 premier league side)

Kane - Leyton Orient 

The list can go on…. I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make my digging him out for wanting to go on loan to find first team football.. that’s the complete opposite of ‘workshy’ in my opinion. 

He was/is a highly rated youngster and the only time anyone was calling for him to get a chance starting was when we had multiple players out in his position to the point where our manager even put CB’s in his position, ahead of him. For a club that loves to promote ‘the pathway’, that doesn’t quite align, does it. 

As a direct comparison, where would someone like, say smallbone, end up if we were to Loan them out? Mid table championship at best?

Yeah good players often play for small clubs when young. I don't deny that. But so do many many many more players who don't come good. The fact he can't get a game for a team who is markedly weaker than saints (young boys) and is going to basically a league 1 team to find his level is atleast somewhat vindication that he wasn't ready to start in the prem right?

Like yeah, others have turned it around. But it is not a mark of quality to have to drop that low to get game time.

Edited by TWar

19 minutes ago, TWar said:

Yeah good players often play for small clubs when young. I don't deny that. But so do many many many more players who don't come good. The fact he can't get a game for a team who is markedly weaker than saints (young boys) and is going to basically a league 1 team to find his level is atleast somewhat vindication that he wasn't ready to start in the prem right?

Like yeah, others have turned it around. But it is not a mark of quality to have to drop that low to get game time.

Also yeah smallbone would probably end up mid championship at someone like Swansea. For a laugh, why don't you compare the wage bills and transfer dealings of Swansea and St. Gallen to get a general idea of scale.

So he might turn out to be a good player, he might not. Fantastic insight from our resident football expert. 

Again, I don’t think anyone was calling for him to get a start when we had a full strength team playing well. The only time, was when injuries got to a point where we were playing CB’s in CM amd we’re losing practically every single game. Which again; I’ll repeat, goes against the ‘pathway’, right? 

FWIW, I agree I don’t think he’s ready to be a regular starter in the premier league. Neither is smallbone, for that matter. I do think he’ll go on to be a better player than smallbone though, from the little I saw of him playing for ours and national u23 team. 

So yeah, again, not sure what you’re getting out of digging out a young lad who wants to play football (and is willing to drop a level to get that). Unless your trying to make out it was some master stroke by Ralph to not start an inexperienced 18 year old…. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dman said:

So he might turn out to be a good player, he might not. Fantastic insight from our resident football expert. 

Again, I don’t think anyone was calling for him to get a start when we had a full strength team playing well. The only time, was when injuries got to a point where we were playing CB’s in CM amd we’re losing practically every single game. Which again; I’ll repeat, goes against the ‘pathway’, right? 

FWIW, I agree I don’t think he’s ready to be a regular starter in the premier league. Neither is smallbone, for that matter. I do think he’ll go on to be a better player than smallbone though, from the little I saw of him playing for ours and national u23 team. 

So yeah, again, not sure what you’re getting out of digging out a young lad who wants to play football (and is willing to drop a level to get that). Unless your trying to make out it was some master stroke by Ralph to not start an inexperienced 18 year old…. 

I get the impression that Twar has no stats on the kid to assess him so has assumed that he must be shit because he's not forced his way into the team. Like you, I've seen him play and its clear that he's a very decent footballer who deserves some credit for wanting to play and improve himself. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dman said:

The insight is that a good player could have a poor time in their early 20's, but having a poor time in your early 20s is a bad sign. I think you are struggling to understand nuance here. Looking bad doesn't mean you will be bad forever, but it certainly makes it a lot more likely you won't be good. Heres an analogy, plenty of millionaires and billionaires were poor in their 20s, but that doesn't mean if you are in your 20s you should give all your money away. Kane was good in spite of having a slower start, Vardy too. For every Kane and Vardy there are countless players who dropped down to lower clubs and didn't bounce back.

Jankewitz isn't ready to be a starter in the swiss league for a team with much less money and quality than we have, he should have been nowhere near our squad when we have basically anyone available in that position who would be even Championship level including out of position defenders. He was let go to a smaller club and couldn't even make it there.

Edited by TWar

12 minutes ago, egg said:

I get the impression that Twar has no stats on the kid to assess him so has assumed that he must be shit because he's not forced his way into the team. Like you, I've seen him play and its clear that he's a very decent footballer who deserves some credit for wanting to play and improve himself. 

I get the impression that you know he has flopped post-saints and are saying nonsense like "top flight team" as if playing for St. Gallen is more impressive than dropping to the championship for example in order to distract away from the fact that the "Ralph is shit, he won't even play Jankewitz" was a stupid thing to say, and is now being proven by another team not playing Jankewitz in a much less competitive league.

2 hours ago, egg said:

I am not sure it's that clear he is a very decent footballer.  In the England U21 game he looked tidy but I don't  remember him shining in any of the B team games that I saw. Nobody else seems to want to give him a opportunity.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TWar said:

I get the impression that you know he has flopped post-saints and are saying nonsense like "top flight team" as if playing for St. Gallen is more impressive than dropping to the championship for example in order to distract away from the fact that the "Ralph is shit, he won't even play Jankewitz" was a stupid thing to say, and is now being proven by another team not playing Jankewitz in a much less competitive league.

As Dman says, I'm not sure what you're getting from digging out a young lad. He's decent, but I'm not wasting my time discussing the merits of an ex player with someone who thinks A Armstrong is a better prospect than Broja. 

On the Ralph point, he was shit for most of last year, and he was stubborn about this kid. Two separate points. 

9 hours ago, TWar said:

The insight is that a good player could have a poor time in their early 20's, but having a poor time in your early 20s is a bad sign. I think you are struggling to understand nuance here. Looking bad doesn't mean you will be bad forever, but it certainly makes it a lot more likely you won't be good. Heres an analogy, plenty of millionaires and billionaires were poor in their 20s, but that doesn't mean if you are in your 20s you should give all your money away. Kane was good in spite of having a slower start, Vardy too. For every Kane and Vardy there are countless players who dropped down to lower clubs and didn't bounce back.

Jankewitz isn't ready to be a starter in the swiss league for a team with much less money and quality than we have, he should have been nowhere near our squad when we have basically anyone available in that position who would be even Championship level including out of position defenders. He was let go to a smaller club and couldn't even make it there.

I'd give up if I were you.  I agree with your view on this, and even if I didn't it's a well thought through and logical point of view.  You are being hunted because of previous topics.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, egg said:

As Dman says, I'm not sure what you're getting from digging out a young lad. He's decent, but I'm not wasting my time discussing the merits of an ex player with someone who thinks A Armstrong is a better prospect than Broja. 

On the Ralph point, he was shit for most of last year, and he was stubborn about this kid. Two separate points. 

I don't care about Jankewitz, he's gone now. I just think it is a valuable message for the future that fans who have maybe watched a player once or twice against weak opposition don't know better about selection than the guy who watches him in training day in day out.

There will be multiple players this applies to going forward so a good lesson to learn.

25 minutes ago, TWar said:

I don't care about Jankewitz, he's gone now. I just think it is a valuable message for the future that fans who have maybe watched a player once or twice against weak opposition don't know better about selection than the guy who watches him in training day in day out.

There will be multiple players this applies to going forward so a good lesson to learn.

Noted, but your logic is flawed. You say that Jankewitz must be crap because a) Ralph didn't seem to rate him, b) he had to move to a lesser club to get games, and c) he's yet to establish himself at that club. If that logic was correct, it'd equally apply to Simeu and Small. The reality though is that all 3 of them are talented kids yet to prove themselves, and the fact that they haven't been given game time is not evidence that they aren't good enough or won't make it. 

• Like 1

Simeu and Small are a bit younger, the latter only 17 so as we know a year can make a big difference at this age. It's obvious he's not quite there yet at the moment but I'm perfectly happy to wait a bit longer for a final judgement. Suffice to say I'm happier with Smallbone at the moment who doesn't look out of place when he plays for the first team, and I don't think we're missing out as a club at the moment.

I look forward to seeing Small and Simeu against Swansea. Having been impressed when I first saw Stevie Mills, Wayne Bridge and Luke Shaw play I hope to give you all the benefit of my experience and judgement with an assessment after the game. 🙂

Edit: and Bale FFS!

Edited by suewhistle
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, egg said:

Noted, but your logic is flawed. You say that Jankewitz must be crap because a) Ralph didn't seem to rate him, b) he had to move to a lesser club to get games, and c) he's yet to establish himself at that club. If that logic was correct, it'd equally apply to Simeu and Small. The reality though is that all 3 of them are talented kids yet to prove themselves, and the fact that they haven't been given game time is not evidence that they aren't good enough or won't make it. 

Simeu and Small were rated high enough to get a move to Saints as their most recent move, a pretty big side really if you consider us within Europe as a whole. Jankewitz is trying his trade at St. Gallen, who are decided not a pretty big side.

Edited by TWar

2 hours ago, TWar said:

Simeu and Small were rated high enough to get a move to Saints as their most recent move, a pretty big side really if you consider us within Europe as a whole. Jankewitz is trying his trade at St. Gallen, who are decided not a pretty big side.

And, even there, he's not exactly setting the world on fire:

Alexandre Jankewitz - Stats 21/22 | Transfermarkt

• 1 year later...
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Alexandre Jankewitz