Alexandre Jankewitz

del boy

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

In my world 6 and 10 are opposite ends of the pitch, and neither is a midfielder. Bobby Moore, Pele.

Amen to that - Kenny Monkou, Mark Wright (?), Dave Watson (?) all wore #6 jerseys and don;t remember any of them being box to box midfielders!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Turkish said:

When did all this number 10, number 6 bollox start? It’s not rugby.

In my younger days  The shirts had only numbers on the backs and no names. The shirts belonged to the club and not to any indivual player. Over the course of a season different players would wear the same shirt.

Then they wanted to start selling replica shirts with names on the back.

I see MLG is as pedantic as ever

Give me wind up trolls all day long over that 🙄

jankewitz looks excellent from what Ive seen and read so far.. its just a slight shame that he plays in a position that we remain relatively well stocked in despite the injuries/suspensions as I expect we would have seen more of him

9 hours ago, John D said:

I always think of it like this:

1 GK 

2 & 3  RB & LB 

4 & 8  Cen Mid (4 more defensive and 8 attacking)

5 & 6 Centre halves 

7 & 11 wide mid / wingers 

9 & 10 Strikers. 

Might swap the 8 and 10 around though. 

This, with no10 (eg Sheringham) slightly behind the no9 (eg Shearer)

When I played for 2nd Southampton Cubs team in the early 70s our formation was:

1 - GK

2- RD, 3 CD, 4 CD, 5 LD

5 - Lone midfielder (I can't remember what we called the position)

7- Right Wing, 8 Inside Right, 9 Centre Forward, 10 Inside Left, 11 Left Wing

So a 4, 1, 5 formation and we won the league! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/01/2021 at 09:03, M271 said:

When I played for 2nd Southampton Cubs team in the early 70s our formation was:

1 - GK

2- RD, 3 CD, 4 CD, 5 LD

5 - Lone midfielder (I can't remember what we called the position)

7- Right Wing, 8 Inside Right, 9 Centre Forward, 10 Inside Left, 11 Left Wing

So a 4, 1, 5 formation and we won the league! 

In my day it was 2 3 5  ! the 2 backs were just that .

• 5 months later...

Bit of a strange one. Lots of fanfare when he first joined, talk of big clubs wanting him last year. But he's ended up at young boys. 

Not sure he's cut out for it, but we'll see. It does seem as if you cross Ralph at any point then you never come back.

I do think credit to him for wanting to leave to just play football, rather than leave to sit on the bench for a bigger club. Lots of young players aren’t waiting around anymore, and want to get games straight away, as we’ve seen with Sancho in particular but there’s a few more young players who have left PL clubs to go abroad for game time. 

It’s a shame all we saw was that horror show against United, I hope he goes on to do well.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, trousers said:

Gone...

#headscratcher

Screenshot_20210712-100223-273.png

Screenshot_20210712-100416-643.png

"Some of his actions" implies that other things were going on behind the scenes. He looked like he had talent but if he is a disruptive influence and can't work towards the team then it's probably better we got rid.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Bit of a strange one. Lots of fanfare when he first joined, talk of big clubs wanting him last year. But he's ended up at young boys. 

Not sure he's cut out for it, but we'll see. It does seem as if you cross Ralph at any point then you never come back.

It was pretty obvious when Ralph just wouldnt play him after the United disaster that he wasnt going to be given a chance. The "some of his actions" part of Blackmore's post suggests more than we will ever know was going on with him as well.

Was always on the cards after last season sadly. I saw the lad play a few times and he seemed to have everything, but for whatever reason(s), Ralph didn't fancy him. 

Good luck to him. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Alexandre Jankewitz - Official: Signs for Young Boys

What a piss take. We lose one of the most promising players in our youth set up because the manager seemingly couldn't get along with him.

And I see the club are already briefing against a 19 year old kid through their mouthpiece Blackmore. How brave.

Still, Swiss champions - he'll be playing European football next season while we dream of a top 18 finish, so I guess it's worked out okay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

If you kick up a fuss about wanting to play ahead of the likes of JWP, Romeu & Diallo to the extent of handing in a transfer request, then finally get a chance and do what he did...its not overly suprising that the Manager, who then gets a second 9-0 on his record, isn't the biggest fan of the player.

Hopefully we have a good sell on % but on face value it seems to suit all parties.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

What a piss take. We lose one of the most promising players in our youth set up because the manager seemingly couldn't get along with him.

And I see the club are already briefing against a 19 year old kid through their mouthpiece Blackmore. How brave.

Still, Swiss champions - he'll be playing European football next season while we dream of a top 18 finish, so I guess it's worked out okay.

Lots of chatter about Jankewitz to be honest, but I've never really seen it. He was part of an utterly dross B team this season, didn't stick out at all.

Played okish in an U21 tournament but apart from that I never saw anything to suggest he starts in our midfield at this level. He seemed to get a bit too big for his boots, stuff has seemingly gone on that we don't know about either.

I think he was overhyped based on nothing really. Let's see how this pans out in the next few years.

8 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Jesus wept.

Maybe the lad is a bit of a prick. Adam Blackmore is not "briefing against" some teenager who barely ever played for us, and when he did he couldn't handle the occasion. He's not the Secretary of State for the Environment, he's some kid footballer.

And has he gone to Arsenal or Juventus because he is such a red-hot prospect? No, he's gone back to the comfort blanket of home. He's gone to the club we bought Mayuka from.

So let's not pretend any uptick in form playing in his home, in a lower standard league immediately equates to "that's what we let go, look how brilliant he is". He couldn't hack the UK, he couldn't hack the Premier League.

Good luck to him but whether he does well or not is not something any Saints fan should ever care about ever again.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Something clearly wasn’t right for a 19 year old to be giving ultimatums about being in the first team. I’m not sure why you’d lay this at Ralph’s door when none of us know anything about what else was happening behind the scenes and in training.

• Like 1

It's a fair move for both. 

We have JWP, Romeu and Diallo. It's likely he wouldn't have got the game time wanted to progress his career, and we couldn't have promised him that either. 

Good luck to him. 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Alexandre Jankewitz