Callum Slattery - Official: Signs for Motherwell

SuperSAINT

It'll be interesting to see how he does, but there has been a talk of his 'attitude' being a problem for a few years now (i.e, he thought he'd made it etc).

Talent and ability can only get you so far, if you have a shit attitude then you never really fulfil the technical promise you may have. Lemina is a fair example of that too.

26 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Yet another one absolutely raved about by the club, supposedly watched by bigger clubs, going on to lesser things. 

Slattery, Alfie Jones, Sims, Reed, Seager...all tipped to be big talents and ended up getting dumped.

Worth remembering how hard it is to produce premier league players.  All those lads play professionally, which in some quarters, is considered a success. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Yet another one absolutely raved about by the club, supposedly watched by bigger clubs, going on to lesser things. 

Slattery, Alfie Jones, Sims, Reed, Seager...all tipped to be big talents and ended up getting dumped.

Reed developed into a lower Premier league/higher championship talent. Didn't get dumped either, we made an offer but he turned it down to start in the prem and we make £8m off him iirc

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Disappointed by this. He's got premier league ability, and he's another midfield talent who's face obviously doesn't fit with Ralph. Shame, but Motherwell isn't the worst move in the world and hopefully the lad does well up there. 

When I saw him play for the first team, and I can't remember who against, I must say he looked a bit lackadaisical and not what I was expecting given his reputation. It might be that he was struggling with the pace but both Kegs Chauke and Caleb Watts seemed to want it more in their brief appearances.

Anyway, he's still playing professional football, and I'm sure the nitty gritty of Scots football will benefit him in one way or another.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Callum Slattery - Official: Signs for Motherwell
41 minutes ago, egg said:

Disappointed by this. He's got premier league ability, and he's another midfield talent who's face obviously doesn't fit with Ralph. Shame, but Motherwell isn't the worst move in the world and hopefully the lad does well up there. 

Not sure that's entirely true, we'll have had whole teams of coaches and analysts monitoring his career for years in the lead up to this decision. 22/23 is basically crunch time for a footballer, if you're not getting regular football by then you're probably not at the right level.

Good luck to him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, egg said:

If it was just about Ralph not fancying him then he would have got a move to a better club than Motherwell

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

If it was just about Ralph not fancying him then he would have got a move to a better club than Motherwell

There's been talk for the last few years of years of Ralph having an issue with the lad. Since then he's not had the chance to kick on so taking a step backwards makes sense. Let's see where his career takes him, but there's a very good players in there. 

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Not sure that's entirely true, we'll have had whole teams of coaches and analysts monitoring his career for years in the lead up to this decision. 22/23 is basically crunch time for a footballer, if you're not getting regular football by then you're probably not at the right level.

Good luck to him.

There's more to it than that, and a trend developing. He was sidelined for non football reasons, and sent to a crappy Dutch club. Jankewitz doesn't seem to have been well managed either. If Ralph can't manage the egos of young ambitious players, that's an issue.

1 minute ago, egg said:

There's more to it than that, and a trend developing. He was sidelined for non football reasons, and sent to a crappy Dutch club. Jankewitz doesn't seem to have been well managed either. If Ralph can't manage the egos of young ambitious players, that's an issue.

I would put that the other way around.

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I would put that the other way around.

Not for me. Manages manage people. They manage expectations. It's their job. Good talent shouldn't get slung out because the manager doesn't like them / finds them a pain in the arse. Sure, complete idiots like Nile Ranger and Ravel Morrison are a different issue. 

11 minutes ago, egg said:

Not for me. Manages manage people. They manage expectations. It's their job. Good talent shouldn't get slung out because the manager doesn't like them / finds them a pain in the arse. Sure, complete idiots like Nile Ranger and Ravel Morrison are a different issue. 

Bad apples are so corrosive to the wider culture though. Look at the problems Sunderland had. One of the reasons Ralph has managed to improve us after Hughes is that he's got rid of anyone who isn't pulling for the team

6 hours ago, LGTL said:

As I said, he never had a future here under RH. 

His attitude stunk. 

See I don’t get this. Last summer he trained for weeks at golden ring to get himself in top shape. He came back and was sent out on loan to a dutch club no one has heard of. I keep hearing it was his attitude but was it more of a personal issue Ralph had with him? He seems to have fallen out with a few youngsters.

Just now, Turkish said:

See I don’t get this. Last summer he trained for weeks at golden ring to get himself in top shape. He came back and was sent out on loan to a dutch club no one has heard of. I keep hearing it was his attitude but was it more of a personal issue Ralph had with him? He seems to have fallen out with a few youngsters.

Exactly this Del. Golden ring was 2019. I know the coach well, he has trained many top level boxers, and he describes the lad as having a top class attitude and work ethic. He left that place in peak condition, yet the suggestion was that he returned fat which just wasn't true. He was then excluded from the pre season tour and sent to a 2nd division Dutch side. Whatever Ralph's issue with him was, I don't buy work ethic. 

16 minutes ago, egg said:

Exactly this Del. Golden ring was 2019. I know the coach well, he has trained many top level boxers, and he describes the lad as having a top class attitude and work ethic. He left that place in peak condition, yet the suggestion was that he returned fat which just wasn't true. He was then excluded from the pre season tour and sent to a 2nd division Dutch side. Whatever Ralph's issue with him was, I don't buy work ethic. 

TBH it’s all just guess work based on internet rumours and hearsay. It could be a simple case of Occam’s razor - we don’t actually think he’s that good.

Wouldn't know about his attitude, but his few appearances for the first team were marked by his inability (unwillingness?) to run anywhere. Particularly out of possession - he was a real plodder.

I think it was at Burnley he started. Their players ran past him time and again as though he was a traffic cone.

• Like 1

Attitude has been cited by people for years, normally by people a million miles away from being a professional footballer. But these boys wouldn't have got so far with a shit attitude.

Also they have been winners all their footballing lives, then they get to a place where they start to struggle, so of course they are going to come across a bit challenged and blame it on something, thats how competitive people cope.

The truth is normally that they are just not good enough.

In the few appearances he had for the first team I thought he looked out of his depth tbh. I had been expecting him to show a bit more given the hype around him.

Don't think there's any hidden agenda here, truth is probably he just wasn't good enough. Good luck to him at Motherwell though.

• Like 1

If he was as good as people say, surely a Championship club at least would’ve taken a punt on him. I was surprised how slow and laboured he looked on the occasions I watched him. Good luck to him, a few players have had to drop to the Scottish leagues to then go on to carve out a very good career. James Maddison spent some time up there and now look at him. 

• Like 2