The small things in life that bring you joy

trousers

16 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

A bit of thunder and lightning.

Yep, I was in the garden last night for a bit, counting the seconds between flash and noise, trying to gauge how far away the storm is, like I did when I was a kid.  

Fortunately my dog used to be a stray and isn't fussed by a bit of racket.  

3 hours ago, Manuel said:

Yep, I was in the garden last night for a bit, counting the seconds between flash and noise, trying to gauge how far away the storm is, like I did when I was a kid.  

Fortunately my dog used to be a stray and isn't fussed by a bit of racket.  

https://www.lightningmaps.org

Can be quite interesting. It shows expanding circles showing how the sound is propagating. It seemed to miss a few last night though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/09/2022 at 21:56, Whitey Grandad said:

The sound of a Merlin engine. Better still, the sound of four Merlins on a Lancaster. I have just watched the 1950s film The Dam Busters one more time and the combination of the sound of the engines and the music of the Dambusters March just have me welling up every time.

The sound of a Merlin engine - nothing else comes close.

2 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

The sound of a Merlin engine - nothing else comes close.

Years ago during the Southampton shows at the common, a Spitfire would do a fly past, it was the highlight of the event for me, I still recall how loud it was. The oldies here may remember building Airfix models of our favourite planes, often gluing our fingers together in the process.

• Like 1

On 24/09/2022 at 21:56, Whitey Grandad said:

The sound of a Merlin engine. Better still, the sound of four Merlins on a Lancaster. I have just watched the 1950s film The Dam Busters one more time and the combination of the sound of the engines and the music of the Dambusters March just have me welling up every time.

Patriotic mawkishness aside, that operation defies belief, the idea was bonkers. The footage of the low altitude flying in the film is still breathtaking, how on Earth did those brave men pull it off?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kyle04 said:

Patriotic mawkishness aside, that operation defies belief, the idea was bonkers. The footage of the low altitude flying in the film is still breathtaking, how on Earth did those brave men pull it off?

I used to have a Danish customer who was aircraft mad. I gave him a small book that I had about the Lancaster and he couldn’t believe that we had undertaken such an operation. He had never even heard of it. He told me that when he was a small boy there was a crashed Lancaster in the woods near his house and that he used to play inside it.

Brave men indeed. After the raid Guy Gibson was sent on a publicity tour of America and Canada. At a press conference in New York he was asked how many operations he had been on. There was a stunned silence when he said 174. American airmen were considered worn out at 25.

Brave and selfless men all of them..

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Love those things! I lived not far from Yeovil as a kid and they used to regularly fly over, making the windows in the house rattle. Used to get a lot of Hercules too, they were a sight.

Our local warbird nostalgia comes from a Bell UH-1 Iriquois, "Huey", which a local pilot keeps airworthy. He flies it over our house 2 or 3 times a month during the spring and summer - you can hear it's distinct thrum long before you can see it.

https://www.huey.co.uk/

Edited by badgerx16

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Gym - Sauna/steam room - Outdoor pool - Shower - Food - Cuppa Tea

Can't beat it.

one of the things i do miss about being a member of a commercial gym is being able to have a sauna, jacuzzi and swim a couple of times a week. Crossfit doesn't do that an unfortunately no where round me does a swim only membership

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...