The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.

CB Fry

SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election  

193 members have voted

1. 1. SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Liberals
    • UKIP
    • Green
    • Brexit
    • Change UK
    • Other

So the odious Raab has finally, thankfully, fallen on his sword after Sunak displayed his usual weakness by not sacking him (so much for calling Starmer Sir Softy). His arrogant, dismissive resignation statement  displays all that is wrong with the Conservative Party today. There is no place for bullies anywhere in our society especially those who continue to ignore the fact that they bully (yes, you know who you are). Scumbags, every one of them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

So the odious Raab has finally, thankfully, fallen on his sword after Sunak displayed his usual weakness by not sacking him (so much for calling Starmer Sir Softy). His arrogant, dismissive resignation statement  displays all that is wrong with the Conservative Party today. There is no place for bullies anywhere in our society especially those who continue to ignore the fact that they bully (yes, you know who you are). Scumbags, every one of them.

Whilst i agree with some of what you’re saying I fail to see why you are criticising Sunak here. He launched the enquiry and said that if any bullying was found whatsoever then Raab would resign, which is exactly what’s happened. You can’t around sacking people everytime someone makes an accusation just because you don’t like the individual that’s been accused. 

Here’s the report if anyone has time to look https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1152026/2023.04.20_Investigation_Report_to_the_Prime_Minister.pdf

It’s a tricky one about these type of cases, and there can be malicious complaints against managers/senior managers (having investigated them independently). Don’t believe that’s the case here, probably some misunderstandings in tone and language but if he’s used phrases such as ‘useless’ or ‘woeful’ in public/meetings as is being reported then that’s an unarguable breach of the ministerial code even with the Minister-CS relationship being different. Gavin Williamson example was worse than Raab though.

9 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Here’s the report if anyone has time to look https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1152026/2023.04.20_Investigation_Report_to_the_Prime_Minister.pdf

It’s a tricky one about these type of cases, and there can be malicious complaints against managers/senior managers (having investigated them independently). Don’t believe that’s the case here, probably some misunderstandings in tone and language but if he’s used phrases such as ‘useless’ or ‘woeful’ in public/meetings as is being reported then that’s an unarguable breach of the ministerial code even with the Minister-CS relationship being different. Gavin Williamson example was worse than Raab though.

I’ve read it.

Id say that, in isolation, a good number of the cases could viewed as relatively minor in nature. Some of them are more serious, such as suggesting that staff who disagreed with him went against the Civil Service Code and therefore were in breach of their contracts. Put it all together and it shows a pattern of bullying that is very hard to argue against. In fact, a good deal of the complainants have commented that there have been no instances of this type of behaviour since the inquiry was raised, and if Raab had behaved like that at all times there would be no case to answer. Also, the report determines that Raab was warned about his conduct by senior staffers but paid these warnings no heed (Raab claimed the warnings never happened, the report claims that it’s much likely that they did as there were notes kept at the time by one of the two staffers mentioned).

I get the feeling that the Tories will try to play this down, Sunak hasn’t acted decisively on it (sources from inside No. 10 suggest he didn’t ask Raab to quit). It’s a bit of a mystery at the moment and doesn’t seem joined up at all, you’d expect a formal announcement very soon after the deputy PM has been forced to resign in disgrace. So far we have nothing but Sunak’s letter to Raab which quite frankly does more to flame Raab’s accusations that the investigation itself is at fault and not the pattern of behaviour.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 1

When you read Rabb's response you wonder why he bothered to resign. Rather than accepting his dismissal with good grace he has done nothing wrong in his eyes and the whole process is flawed.

Cue for the Mail / Express / Telegraph /Sun to jump to his defence and for him to become a right wing martyr fighting against snowflakes and the woke tendency. Wait for their headlines tomorrow.

Its almost as if he is learning from Donald Trump.            

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

When you read Rabb's response you wonder why he bothered to resign. Rather than accepting his dismissal with good grace he has done nothing wrong in his eyes and the whole process is flawed.

Cue for the Mail / Express / Telegraph /Sun to jump to his defence and for him to become a right wing martyr fighting against snowflakes and the woke tendency. Wait for their headlines tomorrow.

Its almost as if he is learning from Donald Trump.            

I can see that’s where the Tories want to take it, it feeds into their culture war and anti-woke strategy. And I’m sure the majority of the papers will downplay it. I’m not sure it’ll gain that much traction outside of their loyal base though. See below from a Tory MP, the comments to her are largely scathing of her, there's very little defence of her insinuation that “you can’t say nuffink these days”.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Kraken said:

I can see that’s where the Tories want to take it, it feeds into their culture war and anti-woke strategy. And I’m sure the majority of the papers will downplay it. I’m not sure it’ll gain that much traction outside of their loyal base though. See below from a Tory MP, the comments to her are largely scathing of her, there's very little defence of her insinuation that “you can’t say nuffink these days”.

She wrote that immediately after another tweet praising the cancellation of smart motorways following public complaints and a report 

Edited by buctootim
  • Haha 1

Good riddance to them as well. Skidmore to be fair has pulled away from the extremist group over time and become more progressive and bright, although hasn’t got the best record as a finisher of initiatives and made a fuck up by backing Truss over Sunak.

The other four deserve all of the piss taking and derision coming their way. Failed people, failed ideas. Thatcherism but without the positive bits and a capable single person between four of them to design and deliver an effective agenda which global markets and publics would ever support (as Truss and Kwarteng spectacularly showed). To be fair to Maggie, she was a pragmatist when needed and until 1988 or so had decent political instincts eg NHS is safe with us. These poundshop imitations wouldn’t understand it. 

Mind you, that article does have some contradictions in it. Firstly, BU talked about not caring about shares of the pie or differences between regions - and then the author says the Johnson government was all about implementing those principles. That’s at odds with the levelling up agenda for example.

So agree with overall messaging but question some of the details. The Scots also have their own turmoil with the implosion of the SNP, another group of single issue extremists focused on nationalism.

Edited by saint1977

4 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Good riddance to them as well. Skidmore to be fair has pulled away from the extremist group over time and become more progressive and bright, although hasn’t got the best record as a finisher of initiatives and made a fuck up by backing Truss over Sunak.

Skidmore has announced that he will not stand at the next election. A pity since, as you say, he seems to have left his loony past behind him. His review on Net Zero has been widely accepted as a "good thing" - but as you say he is not a finisher so is now leaving Parliament.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, whelk said:

I would 100% kill myself if I relied on this paper to give me the news

90F6257C-EECB-442E-BE23-17D652D0ED56.png

Their front page about Sunday’s emergency alert test on Thursday was even more foolish. Why do they think Conservative governments 40 years apart are running those sort of exercises or making public information films about what to do? Clue for the Mail - it’s to do with a specific threat to the east of the UK from a rogue nation beginning with ‘R’ which has something potentially catastrophic it could use beginning with an ‘N’.

I know their journalists are bitter about not taking up a good trade or getting into a top University but surely they can’t be as stupid as today’s and Thursday’s front pages.

Interesting snippet in the DT - seems his attempt to place active British troops permanently in Gibraltar during Brexit talks in late 2020 caused some concern with the Uk ambassador to Spain and it appears left some seeds of doubt about Raab’s judgement.

Mail readers are a funny bunch though - some of my older family have it delivered and are Lib Dem/Remain voters like me. Ditto the Telegraph and Liberal Dems. Other members have the Mirror and vote Conservative. Others have the Sun and vote Labour. Go figure! 

Edited by saint1977

42 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Mail readers are a funny bunch though - some of my older family have it delivered and are Lib Dem/Remain voters like me. Ditto the Telegraph and Liberal Dems. Other members have the Mirror and vote Conservative. Others have the Sun and vote Labour. Go figure! 

I used to read the Mail on Sunday because it had a liberal and fairly balanced editorial policy in marked contrast to the DM - they had different editors and staff. I wouldn't read it now.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Suella getting 9-0ed 

Still trotting out the line that "when we took over there was no money left". That memo was a joke, a poor one admittedly, but not to be taken literally. If there was no money left in the kitty, how did the Government and country function on the first day, let alone the first week or month of the incoming Tory administration ? And to still be using that as an excuse after so many years of their own mis-management is a patheticly weak attempt at distraction.

As for the Police numbers, official Government figures show that as of December 2022 there were 501 more Officers than in 2011, so the 20 thousand have merely returned us to the levels before they took over, and in fact, during the period that they have been in power the UK population has increased by over 6%, so having restored the Police numbers to 2012 levels, proportionately as compared to the population as a whole, the Force is still smaller.

Edited by badgerx16
calculating percentages late at night always prone to error
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Still trotting out the line that "when we took over there was no money left". That memo was a joke, a poor one admittedly, but not to be taken literally. If there was no money left in the kitty, how did the Government and country function on the first day, let alone the first week or month of the incoming Tory administration ? And to still be using that as an excuse after so many years of their own mis-management is a patheticly weak attempt at distraction.

As for the Police numbers, official Government figures show that as of December 2022 there were 501 more Officers than in 2011, so the 20 thousand have merely returned us to the levels before they took over, and in fact, during the period that they have been in power the UK population has increased by over 12%, so having restored the Police numbers to 2012 levels, proportionately as compared to the population as a whole, the Force is still smaller.

8 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Suella getting 9-0ed 

I used to think Theresa May was a bad Home Sec but blimey she’d be the most competent member of the Cabinet were she in it. This woman has so little talent it is staggering.

Edited by whelk
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Have they put more police officers on the street or did they just sign up a bunch of perverts and crooks, put them in uniform and give them some powers?

Are you talking about the police now or the Conservative parliamentary party?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

With so many officers lost it is now a police force packed with inexperienced perverts and crooks - the worst kind!

At least they're going to be issued with boots, I wouldn't want clueless perverts policing the streets barefoot, and that's what we'd have if Starmer was in charge, because he's on the side of criminals, he's famous for it.

Apparently.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Have they put more police officers on the street or did they just sign up a bunch of perverts and crooks, put them in uniform and give them some powers?

Perverts and crooks recruited by perverts and crooks.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rallyboy said:

With so many officers lost it is now a police force packed with inexperienced perverts and crooks - the worst kind!

At least they're going to be issued with boots, I wouldn't want clueless perverts policing the streets barefoot, and that's what we'd have if Starmer was in charge, because he's on the side of criminals, he's famous for it.

Apparently.

Boots only come from ‘back office’ waste people. What we need are true coppers not bureaucrats fucking ordering stuff. 

Just now, rallyboy said:

What an incredible gesture - the government has kindly done a U-turn and is now allowing NHS doctors to return home to the UK from Sudan.

Well done, a really heartwarming story of generosity, red tape and ideology.

Why were they out there in the first place? Are they even British Citizens?

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Confused 1

He has been working at Manchester Infirmary for the last 4 years and has a work permit you cretin. He was out there visiting family for Eid. Despite the fact that the NHS are desperate for staff, because he has dark skin and is a “Johnny Foreigner” means we shouldn’t let him back to work unless he passes Batman’s border control test? You truly are the love child of Nigel Farage and Suella Braverman. 

4 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

He has been working at Manchester Infirmary for the last 4 years and has a work permit you cretin. He was out there visiting family for Eid. Despite the fact that the NHS are desperate for staff, because he has dark skin and is a “Johnny Foreigner” means we shouldn’t let him back to work unless he passes Batman’s border control test? You truly are the love child of Nigel Farage and Suella Braverman. 

Hold on, is he British? 

He was over on holiday, as a horrendous civil war was being fought, and you would like people to put themselves in harms way to get him out?

You know, he could just not go over, or could have left before it was too late. 

Again, is he British? Or do we now have to rescue people who work in the UK?

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Hold on, is he British? 

He was over on holiday, as a horrendous civil war was being fought, and you would like people to put themselves in harms way to get him out?

You know, he could just not go over, or could have left before it was too late. 

Again, is he British? Or do we now have to rescue people who work in the UK?

He is not British. He chose to leave and go to a country of which he is a citizen. He should ask his own government for protection. Where he works has no bearing on the matter.

• Confused 1

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

He is not British. He chose to leave and go to a country of which he is a citizen. He should ask his own government for protection. Where he works has no bearing on the matter.

According to Soggy, suggesting we airlift British Citizens, with extremely limited space on the plane, makes you a racist

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I think that is a problem at present.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

He went before the fighting broke out. There is no need to over-egg the pudding by making shit up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

He went before the fighting broke out. There is no need to over-egg the pudding by making shit up.

before fighting broke out? That has been a massively unstable part of the world for a long time

Clearly, never left when fighting did break out.

Again, should he be prioritised on the plane a head of a UK citizen? Or are we just Tory bashing for the sake of it?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

before fighting broke out? That has been a massively unstable part of the world for a long time

Clearly, never left when fighting did break out.

Again, should he be prioritised on the plane a head of a UK citizen? Or are we just Tory bashing for the sake of it?

1) Yes it might have been 'unstable' for a while, but it had been comparatively quiet, and for these people this time of year is an important religious reinforcement of family ties.

2) If you were in a city where civil war had just broken out, would you immediately risk driving through the gun fire, or wait for the assistance you thought you would be offered ?

3) It's ALWAYS time for Tory bashing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

1) Yes it might have been 'unstable' for a while, but it had been comparatively quiet, and for these people this time of year is an important religious reinforcement of family ties.

2) If you were in a city where civil war had just broken out, would you immediately risk driving through the gun fire, or wait for the assistance you thought you would be offered ?

3) It's ALWAYS time for Tory bashing.

if you go to an extremely unstable country, less of the sad-face when you struggle to leave (if he even tried) when pending war breaks out.

If you are not a UK citizen, hows about NO sad face if the UK are unable to get you out as there is a priority for actual UK citizens.

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Sad 1

This from the bloke that called Priti Patel an immigrant 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

if you go to an extremely unstable country, less of the sad-face when you struggle to leave (if he even tried) when pending war breaks out.

If you are not a UK citizen, hows about NO sad face if the UK are unable to get you out as there is a priority for actual UK citizens.

How about showing a bit of compassion and humanity for another human being? You are beginning to make the likes of Suella Braverman and Priti Patel look like paragons of virtue. I seem to remember you trying to label me a racist because I mentioned “brown” people (a term they use themselves and is in general use) yet here you are spouting the shit that the NF would be proud of. You really are a deeply unpleasant human being.

You were unpleasant as Delldays. You were unpleasant as Batman but you have taken it to a new level in your current incarnation on here.

George Orwell nailed you and the others like you with this - All people are equal, but some are more equal than others.

Edited by sadoldgit
Add text
  • Sad 1

On 21/04/2023 at 13:16, Lord Duckhunter said:

Soggy can. Natural justice falls below personal prejudice in his warped world. 

There he is, popped his head above the parapet. The prickalizer 2000, usually hidden away until a black woman can get her comeuppance. 
The bile that resides in your throat must burn.

Edited by Warriorsaint
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

How about showing a bit of compassion and humanity for another human being? You are beginning to make the likes of Suella Braverman and Priti Patel look like paragons of virtue. I seem to remember you trying to label me a racist because I mentioned “brown” people (a term they use themselves and is in general use) yet here you are spouting the shit that the NF would be proud of. You really are a deeply unpleasant human being.

Oh dear, he's out with the 'they' and 'them' again :mcinnes:

• Like 1