The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.

CB Fry

SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election  

193 members have voted

1. 1. SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Liberals
    • UKIP
    • Green
    • Brexit
    • Change UK
    • Other

8 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Racist jibes for calling out a xenophobe?

I am not sure which of your crowd is more stupid. You I guess because you have been at it longer.

Just think about what you are saying for one minute. You spend your posting life having a pop at foreigners and minority groups and you are trying to say that I share the same views as you have when I call you out for them. If you can’t work out what is wrong with this picture you are beyond help. It proves my point so thank you. The Tories are guaranteed votes from certain sections of our society because they are pig ignorant.

Whereas you spend your life having a pop at a brown women 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

When times are tough people need to apportion blame and that is why the current crop of Tories are targeting these minority groups; refugees, Asian sex offenders,

You can’t get more right wing than demonising minority groups  and stirring up the masses against them. 

What sort of person complains about the targeting of “Asian sex offenders” as if they’re some sort of persecuted minority, like The Kurds in Turkey or Muslims in Myanmar. He’s fucking jumped the shark now….

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Funny isn’t it, lefties fucking hated Cameron, Osborne & austerity. Thought John Major an incompetent grey twat, and despised Ken Clarke’s NHS reforms. Brexit deranged syndrome infected their opinions so much, theyd be worshipping the Iron Lady if she was around to campaign for remain in ‘16… 

Sorry LD but I'm really struggling with what your point is. 

If it's that fucking lefties would worship Thatcher if she advocated remaining in the EU then I think you're wrong.  They'd probably agree with her on that issue though (although actually the fucking lefties have loads of Brexiteers in their ranks so maybe not even then).  

Or is it that if you believe in remain then you have to agree with everything everyone else says if they also believe in remain?

I think the problem is that you've looked at life through the prism of leave and Brexit for so long that you think everyone else does as well.

Edited by revolution saint
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What sort of person complains about the targeting of “Asian sex offenders” as if they’re some sort of persecuted minority, like The Kurds in Turkey or Muslims in Myanmar. He’s fucking jumped the shark now….

Soggy is clearly a passionate defender of sex offenders. Fair enough, I just didn't expect him to admit it so brazenly.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Sorry LD but I'm really struggling with what your point is. 

If it's that fucking lefties would worship Thatcher if she advocated remaining in the EU then I think you're wrong.  They'd probably agree with her on that issue though (although actually the fucking lefties have loads of Brexiteers in their ranks so maybe not even then).  

Or is it that if you believe in remain then you have to agree with everything everyone else says if they also believe in remain?

I think the problem is that you've looked at life through the prism of leave and Brexit for so long that you think everyone else does as well.

TBF an awful lot of people on social media do as well. As we all know though, twitter is not real life...

23 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Soggy is clearly a passionate defender of sex offenders. Fair enough, I just didn't expect him to admit it so brazenly.

Imagine hating the tories more than you hate sex offenders. Pretty messed up

On 05/04/2023 at 20:38, Lord Duckhunter said:

Funny isn’t it, lefties fucking hated Cameron, Osborne & austerity. Thought John Major an incompetent grey twat, and despised Ken Clarke’s NHS reforms. Brexit deranged syndrome infected their opinions so much, theyd be worshipping the Iron Lady if she was around to campaign for remain in ‘16… 

Or, some people are just pragmatists and will vote with what seems to fit their interests and national moods at the time? I didn’t agree with austerity as a lot of it was ideological small state lazy crap but I much preferred Osborne to Cameron. From what I gather him and Cable reigned in Cameron as he wanted to go miles beyond what he did on slashing public services. Osborne also didn’t like all of obsessive UKIP crap May and the Home Office were fostering about immigration targets (see a theme emerging to today) which led to the Windrush Scandal and a litany of other policy failures. Osborne also learned from past Tory failures on lack of infrastructure investment. He was levelling up with the Northern Powerhouse well before Boris and in regional R&D investment. Cameron was the more personable but gullible front man steering the Tories and the UK towards the UKIP rocks. 

Faults too but I could see some substance, which Cameron, Boris, May and co never had. Truss and Kwarteng sounded like they were taking substances.  Sunak and Hunt have got some substance, Rishi has worked out Brexit is largely a dud and slowly unpicking it. 

Major was alright, bit dated next to Blair at the time as progressive measure such as the National Minimum Wage eluded him but fuck me, we’ve had far worse in the last 20 years. Ken Clarke - would have voted for him and definitely Heseltine as PM. Very good Chancellor as well.

Edited by saint1977

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

Have you ever considered to get a more balanced view of the world you shouldn’t just stick to whatever the guardian tells you?

He could read the actual DWP report, which concludes "In summary, a sanction leads the average claimant to exit less quickly into PAYE
earnings and to earn less upon exiting. " This report has only come into the Public domain because the Information Commissioner ordered the DWP to release it, and it is not the only critical report into benefit reform that Ms Coffey blocked the publication of.

Would you suggest to Guided Missile that he might get a more balanced view if he stopped relying on the Daily Telegraph ? Or those others on here who seem to blindly follow the Daily Mail or Daily Express, or even those forum members who live their lives on Twitter ?

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

He could read the actual DWP report, which concludes "In summary, a sanction leads the average claimant to exit less quickly into PAYE
earnings and to earn less upon exiting. " This report has only come into the Public domain because the Information Commissioner ordered the DWP to release it, and it is not the only critical report into benefit reform that Ms Coffey blocked the publication of.

Would you suggest to Guided Missile that he might get a more balanced view if he stopped relying on the Daily Telegraph ? Or those others on here who seem to blindly follow the Daily Mail or Daily Express, or even those forum members who live their lives on Twitter ?

Quite. It’s why the standard of national debate has gone down the bog, and it’s the only the regulation on independent TV news stopping us from turning into the totally partisan US media circus. It’s why I’m so opposed to GB News - two Tory MPs interviewing a Tory Chancellor before the budget statement. If OFCOM had any balls, they are off air on a 2 week ban and made to change their editorial total board. I’d be saying exactly the same if it had been two Lib Dem or Labour MPs doing the interview with Cable or Reeves. Non Doms interference in our affairs not welcome (unless they buy Saints and invest hugely, of course).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Quite. It’s why the standard of national debate has gone down the bog, and it’s the only the regulation on independent TV news stopping us from turning into the totally partisan US media circus. It’s why I’m so opposed to GB News - two Tory MPs interviewing a Tory Chancellor before the budget statement. If OFCOM had any balls, they are off air on a 2 week ban and made to change their editorial total board. I’d be saying exactly the same if it had been two Lib Dem or Labour MPs doing the interview with Cable or Reeves. Non Doms interference in our affairs not welcome (unless they buy Saints and invest hugely, of course).

likewise with LBC, yes?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

I wouldn’t suggest it to Guided missile as I rarely read his posts. Good to see you’re putting sog on that level of lunacy though 👍

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I wouldn’t suggest it to Guided missile as I rarely read his posts. Good to see you’re putting sog on that level of lunacy though 👍

I would not place SOG in the same frame as GM. GM is a simple cut&paste merchant, emphasis on simple, seemingly incapable of forming his own opinion. Soggy at least provides us with his own opinion and perspective. Admittedly he tends to produce a 'stream of conscience', but it is all hs own work.

If I was in a position to advise them both, for GM it would be "Shut the fuck up you boring cunt". For Soggy I would suggest he follows the example of Kenneth Williams, who tried to learn 3 new words every day; in Soggy's case my suggestions for a good start would be "Summary", "Concise", and "Brief".

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Who are you, the news police?

When people call for “balance” they generally mean they don’t want different opinions broadcast.

If someone wants to set up leftie news, they should be free to do so. It’s not the 1950’s for fucks sake. Let the people decide, not some Quango stuffed with pinkos & timeservers. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Who are you, the news police?

When people call for “balance” they generally mean they don’t want different opinions broadcast.

If someone wants to set up leftie news, they should be free to do so. It’s not the 1950’s for fucks sake. Let the people decide, not some Quango stuffed with pinkos & timeservers. 

The 'say what you like' model brought about by multi channel broadcasting and the internet has reduced freedom and increased division. How can you have freedom when you don't know what is really happening? 

Outright lies are now premissable when the previous system was essentially facts viewed through a right or left wing prism.  People increasingly live in echo chambers, wanting to hear their own prejudices reflected back to them and its going to end badly.    

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1

News Police?

We could do with some proper police first.

I don't think anyone objects to news.

It's when advertorial outlets like GB News or Fox dress up PR as news, when in reality they're just pumping out carefully-crafted messaging approved by their financial backers, aimed at the easily-led, and it certainly seems to attract them.

Sadly for GB News the numbers aren't there, perhaps the UK isn't quite thick enough for them yet, but if you look on social  media, it's getting there.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, buctootim said:

The 'say what you like' model brought about by multi channel broadcasting and the internet has reduced freedom and increased division. How can you have freedom when you don't know what is really happening? 

Outright lies are now premissable when the previous system was essentially facts viewed through a right or left wing prism.  People increasingly live in echo chambers, wanting to hear their own prejudices reflected back to them and its going to end badly.    

It won’t “end” badly or otherwise. There’s no “end”, because end implies something stops, what’s going to stop? 

Balance was always a myth, simplistic pony fed to the people. “Here’s one side & here’s the other” is just horseshite, it’s way more nuanced than that, and “balance” unachievable. I’ll give you a perfect example. Claksons farm (a great watch BTW). The way it’s edited & put together makes it look like petty red tape, local out of touch councillors, horrendous bureaucracy, NIMBYS and Government interference conspire to hamper him making a living. Even as a supporter of a smaller state, I can see  that’s the way it’s edited, that an edit could be made to show an alternative side of the debate. And yet there’s no “lies” in there, no political slant and nothing that a quango could say was unbalanced. But it was unbalanced, and probably more powerful for appearing not to be. 

News reports can be the same, the running order, the emphasis, all sorts can be twisted to create a narrative. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

7 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It won’t “end” badly or otherwise. There’s no “end”, because end implies something stops, what’s going to stop? 

Balance was always a myth, simplistic pony fed to the people. “Here’s one side & here’s the other” is just horseshite, it’s way more nuanced than that, and “balance” unachievable. I’ll give you a perfect example. Claksons farm (a great watch BTW). The way it’s edited & put together makes it look like petty red tape, local out of touch councillors, horrendous bureaucracy, NIMBYS and Government interference conspire to hamper him making a living. Even as a supporter of a smaller state, I can see  that’s the way it’s edited, that an edit could be made to show an alternative side of the debate. And yet there’s no “lies” in there, no political slant and nothing that a quango could say was unbalanced. But it was unbalanced, and probably more powerful for appearing not to be. 

News reports can be the same, the running order, the emphasis, all sorts can be twisted to create a narrative. 

Clueless halfwit

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

News Police?

We could do with some proper police first.

I don't think anyone objects to news.

It's when advertorial outlets like GB News or Fox dress up PR as news, when in reality they're just pumping out carefully-crafted messaging approved by their financial backers, aimed at the easily-led, and it certainly seems to attract them.

Sadly for GB News the numbers aren't there, perhaps the UK isn't quite thick enough for them yet, but if you look on social  media, it's getting there.

Weird how people like you never ever mention LBC when complaining.

Edited by AlexLaw76

20 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Perhaps they have never listened to it - the best option with most of it I suspect, lthough I do like some of James O'Brien's rants, especially when they wind up Brexiteers and arch-Tories.

Edited by badgerx16

21 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Hmmm, could that be because the LBC (like the Mirror and Guardian) aren’t driven by a right wing agenda and present outright lies as fact?

Edited by sadoldgit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Hmmm, could that be because the LBC (like the Mirror and Guardian) aren’t driven by a right wing agenda and present outright lies as fact?

Totally unbiased post 👍

If only there were more people like you deciding what we could and couldn’t watch/read, if only people like you decided what was biased as opposed to unbiased we’d be a far far better country. Your balanced opinions shine through every post, it’s an honour to read your neutral factual thoughts. Keep it up, please. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

34 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I've never watched / listened to LBC (likewise I've never watched / listed to GB news), but just looking at the presenters for LBC, it doesn't seem particularly representative :

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/

20 presenters.  4 women.  3 PoC.  15 white middle aged men.

Maybe that's why you like it so much?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

🤣🤣 so everything you watch and listen to is the gospel truth everyone else is telling lies?

Oh hang on, it you who was reading stuff saying there was no violence at the BLM protests whatsoever and correcting all the right wing racist Tommy robinson supporters who said there was only to backtrack when your sources were proven wrong?

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I know there is no way to be wholly balanced and objective - but you get a lot closer if you honestly try rather than just wring your hands / shrug your shoulders and allow the  pumping out of propaganda - which ends in Russia or China. 

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, buctootim said:

I know there is no way to be wholly balanced and objective - but you get a lot closer if you honestly try rather than just wring your hands / shrug your shoulders and allow the  pumping out of propaganda - which ends in Russia or China. 

Some of the shit we see put about as news, fact, and opinion starts in Russia.

2 hours ago, buctootim said:

Calm down, Russia😂

We don’t have a “balanced” press, yet we’re not under the jackboot. Let the people decide , why do you want the great and the good to control everything?  The days of controlling and balancing how people get their news are long gone. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Interesting that whilst the team soggy claims to support were playing an important match he was furiously typing away about politics on a football forum. Not a single comment about the match though

Interesting that you claim you are not obsessed with this poster but post about him AGAIN. Not a comment about the thread topic

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

Interesting that you claim you are not obsessed with this poster but post about him AGAIN. Not a comment about the thread topic

The thread title is 'The United Kingdom' pretty sure that also covers those who live in it, which would include Soggy ;) 

I'm looking forward to the day that Soggy posts something that he actually likes.  Only ever seen him post about things he doesn't like.  No wonder his life seems so miserable if he hates the whole world and everything in it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

The thread title is 'The United Kingdom' pretty sure that also covers those who live in it, which would include Soggy ;) 

I'm looking forward to the day that Soggy posts something that he actually likes.  Only ever seen him post about things he doesn't like.  No wonder his life seems so miserable if he hates the whole world and everything in it.

Im Not sure he does live in the Uk, he’s regularly on another planet 

Interestingly, Baroness Warsi is currently on LBC with James O’Brien talking about Home Secretary Braverman’s comments about Asian rape gangs and has referred to her language as “racist”. She has also pointed out the police and local councils often failed to prosecute these gangs when the information first came to light because the victims were seen as “trash” and not worth pursuing, not because they were being PC. She also made the point that it is ironic that one minute the police are being labelled racist because of the way they prosecute and deal with ethnic minorities and in this case they are labelled as being PC because they are supposed to be doing the opposite. This is a senior Tory politician of a ethnic minority, not an old White liberal keyboard warrior. It’s refreshing to hear someone from the right of centre commenting on this and completely contradicting the right wing attack dogs.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tdmickey3 said:

Sadly, that’s what stalkers are all about. Interesting that he used the words “furiously typing”. I “furiously” typed two whole words!  I must have used up so much fury that I ran out of steam! His effort to troll when calling into doubt my support of Southampton is also laughable given that there is graphic evidence of my football posts on several different Southampton FC based social forum platforms going back decades. To quote Del Boy, what a plonker.🤪

(I didn’t see the match and was spending Easter Saturday with friends so am not qualified to comment on the game, not that I have to justify myself to a stupid internet troll/stalker)

Edited by sadoldgit
Add text
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Interestingly, Baroness Warsi is currently on LBC with James O’Brien talking about Home Secretary Braverman’s comments about Asian rape gangs and has referred to her language as “racist”. She has also pointed out the police and local councils often failed to prosecute these gangs when the information first came to light because the victims were seen as “trash” and not worth pursuing, not because they were being PC. She also made the point that it is ironic that one minute the police are being labelled racist because of the way they prosecute and deal with ethnic minorities and in this case they are labelled as being PC because they are supposed to be doing the opposite. This is a senior Tory politician of an ethnic minority, not an old White liberal keyboard warrior. It’s refreshing to hear someone from the right of centre commenting on this and completely contradicting the right wing attack dogs.

So you disagree that there were any racial thoughts at play in not following up so contradicting reports of worrying about being perceived as racist? Also I think it was social services more than the police.

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Interestingly, Baroness Warsi is currently on LBC with James O’Brien talking about Home Secretary Braverman’s comments about Asian rape gangs and has referred to her language as “racist”. She has also pointed out the police and local councils often failed to prosecute these gangs when the information first came to light because the victims were seen as “trash” and not worth pursuing, not because they were being PC. She also made the point that it is ironic that one minute the police are being labelled racist because of the way they prosecute and deal with ethnic minorities and in this case they are labelled as being PC because they are supposed to be doing the opposite. This is a senior Tory politician of a ethnic minority, not an old White liberal keyboard warrior. It’s refreshing to hear someone from the right of centre commenting on this and completely contradicting the right wing attack dogs.

Interesting that you listen to James O'brien. What's your thoughts on the man?

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65240749

"The International Monetary Fund (IMF) says the UK economy's performance in 2023 will be the worst among the 20 biggest economies, known as the G20, which includes sanctions-hit Russia."

fuck the experts.  Maybe we can drop out of the G7 soon. Like Saints need to be in a place where we aren’t constantly bottom of the table although we might plummet straight through G20 unless we get someone with a bit more pizazz and ambition in charge.

12 minutes ago, whelk said:

fuck the experts.  Maybe we can drop out of the G7 soon. Like Saints need to be in a place where we aren’t constantly bottom of the table although we might plummet straight through G20 unless we get someone with a bit more pizazz and ambition in charge.

We are like the Pompey of Nations. Constantly telling everyone how great we are, living on a history before anyone currently alive was around, but in reality a shit hole full of entitled twats.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We are like the Pompey of Nations. Constantly telling everyone how great we are, living on a history before anyone currently alive was around, but in reality a shit hole full of entitled twats.

Brilliant. 

Who is our Westwood? I understand that Farage suffers from hallitosis so like Westwood, he smells bad. Does he also have a few tattoos ?