Southampton 0-1 Leicester - Match Thread

Matthew Le God

16 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Fine by me that we're being written off by so many already, hopefully that will motivate our guys and lead to complacency within the Leicester camp.

Thought you wanted us to lose anyway?

This fixture is winnable for us and it's going to be down to which Southampton team turn up on the day.

If the Southampton that beat Liverpool 1-0 this season turns up we'll win this match.

If the Southampton Vs Leeds turns up, we'll get battered.

Need to see the team lineup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Thought you wanted us to lose anyway?

The same faces who think we can beat Leicester also think that if we do, we won’t be able to beat 1 of West Brom, Burnley, Fulham. 

Just goes to show it was a ridiculous argument or comparison to Wigan. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Not at all and I think I've made my views very clear.

All I ever said is that I wouldn't take relegation and a cup win if hypothetically offered.

I would. You're a nutter in my opinion. We will get relegated at some point anyway so might as well have something to show for it. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I would. You're a nutter in my opinion. We will get relegated at some point anyway so might as well have something to show for it. 

If you think I'm a nutter for saying it's more important, as a general principle, to remain in the Premier League than win a cup then that's fine and I respect your view (if not the insult). It doesn't mean that I don't desperately want us to win it and that, with us almost certainly safe, that we should do anything other than go for it all guns blazing.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

If you think I'm a nutter for saying it's more important, as a general principle, to remain in the Premier League than win a cup then that's fine and I respect your view (if not the insult). It doesn't mean that I don't desperately want us to win it and that, with us almost certainly safe, that we should do anything other than go for it all guns blazing.

Nutter is an incredibly mild insult! I'm sorry I will never understand the mindset of someone who would prefer an existence in the prem in perpetuity, winning nothing and finishing lower mid table or worse every season than actually winning something even if we get relegated. 

24 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Quite, teams of our size drop in and out of the premier league quite a bit. We'll go down at some point and personally i'd quite happily take that in exchange for a few trophies in the cabinet. Sport isn't about applauding the clubs bank balance and premier league prize money, unfortunately some of the mugs on here only seem interested in that.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

why?

Edited by Turkish

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Nutter is an incredibly mild insult! I'm sorry I will never understand the mindset of someone who would prefer an existence in the prem in perpetuity, winning nothing and finishing lower mid table or worse every season than actually winning something even if we get relegated. 

Haha don't worry pal, I won't be losing any sleep over it, I just think my view is not the one of a nutter.

Like I said, I DESPERATLY want us to win something, I just wouldn't willingly trade our place in the Premier League for it as I value it really highly and history shows that relegation can be absolutely disastrous. I think timing is in my thinking too, relegation at this time could be especially painful given multiple, much-discussed, issues.

Bottom line is that I know I'm quite risk adverse, it doesn't mean that I don't damn well hope we lift that trophy in May!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Haha don't worry pal, I won't be losing any sleep over it, I just think my view is not the one of a nutter.

Like I said, I DESPERATLY want us to win something, I just wouldn't willingly trade our place in the Premier League for it as I value it really highly and history shows that relegation can be absolutely disastrous. I think timing is in my thinking too, relegation at this time could be especially painful given multiple, much-discussed, issues.

Bottom line is that I know I'm quite risk adverse, it doesn't mean that I don't damn well hope we lift that trophy in May!

Out of interest, what represents such success to you? 

As someone who has played at a half decent level, I can vouch that winning a trophy is what you play for every year. 

Edited by SKD

20 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

No one has questioned your desire for us to win a trophy, just your pretty strange view that staying in the premier league is preferable to winning a trophy. Would you have a time limit on it? Is there any point in the next decade that you would prefer winning something even if it resulted in relegation? If your answer is no then really what's the point of watching football and supporting a team? For some fans it feels like a perpetual mid table existence in the Premier league is what they want and IMO that's bizarre. Valuing your premier league place over winning a trophy is IMO mostly the preserve of modern football fans. 

Edited by hypochondriac

1 minute ago, Jimmy_D said:

I remember people talking about the Man Utd vs Liverpool final in 2017 before the semi finals too :lol:

Odds probably won’t be in our favour but it’s certainly not a forgone conclusion.

I'm a lot more confident than I would have been had we got City, Chelsea or United. I think realistically we would have very little chance in a final against City but to get there would be amazing. 

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm a lot more confident than I would have been had we got City, Chelsea or United. I think realistically we would have very little chance in a final against City but to get there would be amazing. 

Man City vs Watford (6-0) | Emirates FA Cup Final Highlights - YouTube

The boys love a record, could we beat this one?

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

United fans hate playing us though.

We aren't a great team for them.

(Before the 9-0)

1 minute ago, JustinSFC said:

United fans hate playing us though.

We aren't a great team for them.

(Before the 9-0)

Really? We've not beaten them at home since 2003 and only beaten them twice in 20 years. I'd have thought they'd love to play us.

@SKD Trophies are a huge part of what represents success to me and, let's be honest, we should have won more over the years. But in the absence of that, being a long-standing top flight club with an excellent track record of developing players is not to be sniffed at IMO. We also hold several Premier League records (good and bad) and have had some generally great moments over the years. In short, I think we've contributed a lot to English top flight football and are generally respected for it.

@hypochondriac I want us to win something now, I just wouldn't exchange it for relegation if hypothetically offered.

I know this comes across as apathetic, but maybe that's the product of 30 years of not winning anything and having suitably low expectations as a result!  

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Really? We've not beaten them at home since 2003 and only beaten them twice in 20 years. I'd have thought they'd love to play us.

My interactions with their fans have been they don't like playing us.

I know a few United fans (actual mancs and not plastics) including my brother in law who is a Manc aswell.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

@SKD Trophies are a huge part of what represents success to me and, let's be honest, we should have won more over the years. But in the absence of that, being a long-standing top flight club with an excellent track record of developing players is not to be sniffed at IMO. We also hold several Premier League records (good and bad) and have had some generally great moments over the years. In short, I think we've contributed a lot to English top flight football and are generally respected for it.

@hypochondriac I want us to win something now, I just wouldn't exchange it for relegation if hypothetically offered.

I know this comes across as apathetic, but maybe that's the product of 30 years of not winning anything and having suitably low expectations as a result!  

Yeah, can't wait to tell the grandkids in 50 years about those glory years when we were stumbling to 16th in the Premier League....🙄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

And my question is would this still be your stance in a decade? What about if we spent another 20 straight years in the prem from now but still didn't win anything? Is there any scenario where you would view winning trophy as more important than continuing in the league?

Edited by hypochondriac

15 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

And my question is would this still be your stance in a decade? What about if we spent another 20 straight years in the prem from now but still didn't win anything? Is there any scenario where you would view winning trophy as more important than winning the league?

I guess my answer would change when dropping out of the top flight carried less of a risk than it does at present. We nearly became extinct the last time it happened and I'm not sure we're in any better position to deal with it now than we were back in 2005.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

I guess my answer would change when dropping out of the top flight carried less of a risk than it does at present. We nearly became extinct the last time it happened and I'm not sure we're in any better position to deal with it now than we were back in 2005.

So whilst there continues to be a financial risk attached to relegation you would favour continuing in the premier league and not winning anything forever over winning something and getting relegated? That's why I think that your view is mental. You could go the rest of your life and never see your football team win anything but you'd prefer that than them winning something and getting relegated. Mad.

Edited by hypochondriac

18 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

So whilst there continues to be a financial risk attached to relegation you would favour continuing in the premier league and not winning anything forever over winning something and getting relegated? That's why I think that your view is mental. You could go the rest of your life and never see your football team win anything but you'd prefer that than them winning something and getting relegated. Mad.

I didn't say no financial risk, because that will probably always be the case.  But at this time, and in our current position, I think relegation would a be a bit of a disaster for us.  Like I said earlier though, I respect your view, but it's not one that I share (not that it matters, as we will never actually be able to choose such an outcome anyway).  If that makes me mental in your eyes then so be it.

One thing we share in common though is that we both want to win this bloody cup!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

I understand your feelings, a drop out of the prem could be disastrous! We could fall down the leagues and never come back up! We could drop below pompy! I would never want that again! To take the bet of staying indefinitely in the pl or win something,  I am with you! This way we build a better club ( should do with guaranteed pl  income every year). U can watch on telly and mix it up with the big boys, go to the pub and watch us in the pl is a clucking accomplishment that the lower clubs beg for. Oh and I don't get the feeling of not winning anything.......you mean it is just like it is now! I am still a fan! After so many relegation battles, getting mid table is very satisfactory! Being top for a day was very enjoyable! 

The drop to the lower leagues was fun because we came out of it and was save by ML, it could have easily saw us to cease to exist! That is not worth the risk of taking a cup and then disappearing forever.

As a player I wanted to win, but I was also realistic, I wanted to make a good living, And to do that we needed to be in the PL. A cup win is great but it doesn't put food on the table. If we were to tumble down the FL, good players leave. So they have a trophy and a new club back in the prem, we have a broken club and cup to stare at with distant memories of the club we once were.

Of course this is all hypothetical,  is there a bet we can stay in pl and win a trophy?

By the way, I don't brag about saints winning cup in the 70's. I say you let the worst defensive team ever to beat you. That shuts them up everyday. Use those 9-0 as a weapon!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

we didn't though did we, in fact, Bury aside (and that was down to the owner individually), football clubs seem pretty immune to financial oblivion even when they cannot have paying fans through the turnstiles. There was no way, back then, we were going bust, no fucking way. It was just a case of 'who' would buy us and when. 

20 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

I understand your feelings, a drop out of the prem could be disastrous! We could fall down the leagues and never come back up! We could drop below pompy! I would never want that again! To take the bet of staying indefinitely in the pl or win something,  I am with you! This way we build a better club ( should do with guaranteed pl  income every year). U can watch on telly and mix it up with the big boys, go to the pub and watch us in the pl is a clucking accomplishment that the lower clubs beg for. Oh and I don't get the feeling of not winning anything.......you mean it is just like it is now! I am still a fan! After so many relegation battles, getting mid table is very satisfactory! Being top for a day was very enjoyable! 

The drop to the lower leagues was fun because we came out of it and was save by ML, it could have easily saw us to cease to exist! That is not worth the risk of taking a cup and then disappearing forever.

As a player I wanted to win, but I was also realistic, I wanted to make a good living, And to do that we needed to be in the PL. A cup win is great but it doesn't put food on the table. If we were to tumble down the FL, good players leave. So they have a trophy and a new club back in the prem, we have a broken club and cup to stare at with distant memories of the club we once were.

Of course this is all hypothetical,  is there a bet we can stay in pl and win a trophy?

By the way, I don't brag about saints winning cup in the 70's. I say you let the worst defensive team ever to beat you. That shuts them up everyday. Use those 9-0 as a weapon!

See I just read this and can't help but feel sad. This isn't intended to come across as offensive, but I have absolutely nothing in common with fans who would prefer guaranteed premier league income over winning a trophy. I just cannot relate to that mindset and I really struggle to understand it. That's never been why I watch football.

• Like 1

@BERMUDASAINTwell I'm glad someone sort of understands where I'm coming from 🙂

@hypochondriacI really do appreciate your point-of-view and I said earlier that my views were probably a bit apathetic.

Last post from me on this subject, and I don't know your age, but if we won the cup in say 1992 and then got relegated the same season, I imagine Le Tissier would have left and we may still be playing at The Dell (a romantic thought, but not at all practical). I value Le Tissier's legacy as much as any trophy we could have won over the years. I'm not trying to change your opinion by the way, more attempting to rationalise mine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

@BERMUDASAINTwell I'm glad someone sort of understands where I'm coming from 🙂

@hypochondriacI really do appreciate your point-of-view and I said earlier that my views were probably a bit apathetic.

Last post from me on this subject, and I don't know your age, but if we won the cup in say 1992 and then got relegated the same season, I imagine Le Tissier would have left and we may still be playing at The Dell (a romantic thought, but not at all practical). I value Le Tissier's legacy as much as any trophy we could have won over the years. I'm not trying to change your opinion by the way, more attempting to rationalise mine.

Dozens of clubs have got new grounds without having to be in the Premier league so your point about the Dell is irrelevant. As for Le Tissier, i love him as much as anyone, I saw his entire career, used to pretend to be him in the playground but i'd swap all of those goals for seeing us lift the FA cup at Wembley. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

This argument is all a bit pointless because regardless of what point of view is held, nobody on this website (at least I hope not) is going to be sitting there come semi-final day going "ohhh I hope we lose".

We're all going to be glued to the TV hoping to get to the final.

Unless we're getting thrashed.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Or Maybe we wouldn't.

You want to build a better club but build to what? If winning something isn't the end result of building a better club what is?  It's incredible that people are just happy to exist in the premier league, because we get guarenteed premier league money, get to watch the other team, watch us more on telly. It's truly sad that people consider success as just existing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Or Maybe we wouldn't.

You want to build a better club but build to what? If winning something isn't the end result of building a better club what is?  It's incredible that people are just happy to exist in the premier league, because we get guarenteed premier league money, get to watch the other team, watch us more on telly. It's truly sad that people consider success as just existing.

Exactly! It devalues the struggle and the graft of our promotion teams to simply be content to just sit in the prem and win nothing. I thought that winning something was the ultimate goal for every football fan but clearly for some they are content to finish mid table in the prem every year. I find that incredible. 

I don't understand why the arguing about winning the FA Cup and getting relegated this season as I don't think one will have any effect on the other.

If we win the cup, brilliant.

If we get relegated, not good.

I personally don't think you can connect the two. If that was the case then I'm sure we'd have seen it happen more then it has!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Exactly! It devalues the struggle and the graft of our promotion teams to simply be content to just sit in the prem and win nothing. I thought that winning something was the ultimate goal for every football fan but clearly for some they are content to finish mid table in the prem every year. I find that incredible. 

They aren’t saints supporters, they are premier league consumers 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, saintquin said:

I don't understand why the arguing about winning the FA Cup and getting relegated this season as I don't think one will have any effect on the other.

If we win the cup, brilliant.

If we get relegated, not good.

I personally don't think you can connect the two. If that was the case then I'm sure we'd have seen it happen more then it has!

It's not discussing that happening this season. What it's asking is if you value winning a trophy more than you value participation in the Premier league. 

46 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's not discussing that happening this season. What it's asking is if you value winning a trophy more than you value participation in the Premier league. 

Depends on the trophy. The League Cup ? No. The Champions League? Yes. Ultimately I want us to be as good as we can possibly be, realistically for a club like us that probably means being good enough to win the Europa League. Would we be able to build a team good enough to achieve that in the Championship, assuming we obtained qualification by winning a domestic cup and were relegated the same season? Obviously not. So no, I don't want us to be Wigan.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Good luck with that! 

You would think that they'd rather risk a spread between the relatively small urban areas of Southampton and Leicester... as opposed to London and Manchester...

Anything else would demonstrate an element of bias?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldsarum said:

I've read a few articles on that which strongly hint if a semi final is chosen as a test event it would be limited to locals and not allocated to fans of clubs involved, that would be even more of a piss take than just having it behind closed doors (which is also a joke, by mid April we'll be down to almost zero deaths a day with the 'vulnerable ' vaccinated. )

Just let those who are happy to take the risk back in the ground ffs. 

Best bet I'm hoping for at the moment is pubs getting big screens outdoors to show the game but that will probably be discouraged by the authorities. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Turkish said:

They aren’t saints supporters, they are premier league consumers 

I take offense to that! THIS IS ALL A WHAT IF????? ........ as mentioned before, we all want  more silverware. But I am no plastic!  

I stick to my "what if" because yours has the chance of SFC ceasing to exist. A true fan would never like that to happen!

Enough said......

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

I take offense to that! THIS IS ALL A WHAT IF????? ........ as mentioned before, we all want  more silverware. But I am no plastic!  

I stick to my "what if" because yours has the chance of SFC ceasing to exist. A true fan would never like that to happen!

Enough said......

How many clubs have dropped out of the premier league and then gone out of business in the past 20 years...? 

Edited by SKD

49 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

Trousers will tell you Portsmouth.

Haha. But even using them as the extremest and rarest example, they still have a club and long term are probably in a better situation than we are. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

and long term are probably in a better situation than we are. 

What an earth are you smoking? We are in an infinitely better situation than pompey. We have a bigger stadium, better facilities, and are playing in the premier league. By what metric are they in a better situation?

• Like 1