Southampton 0-1 Leicester - Match Thread

Matthew Le God

13 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

I do wonder where SKD gets his screwball ideas from, bless him.

Take a breather lad😉

Saying PFC is a better model than ours is mental 🤣

Disney man is doing nothing of note in league 1 and Gao is doing nothing in the PL but if we got relegated it would not mean melt down that's for sure.

Personally i would love to win the cup and stay comfortably on the PL but understand we may be relegated at some point 

Why is it mental? A business model that requires you to stay at the top level and spending the very minimum to do so, whilst loading the club with a big high interest loan, that’s mental. 

To be honest, it’s a pointless debate, we’ll be taken over before we drop into the championship anyway. So it’s irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

West Ham and Newcastle fans might well disagree but I bet West Ham fans aren’t moaning now as they’re challenging for the the top 4. They’ve a net spend of £150m the last 5 years Newcastle fans also bleat on as they are entitled thinking they should be a top 6 club, theyve spent over £100m more than they’ve made from transfers last 5 season yet Mike Ashley is hated as a tight fisted cockney wanker.

In that same period we’ve made a profit from transfers yet still don’t have a pot to piss in and our fans stand back and applaud the model whilst getting all upset if anyone refers  to Goa as the chinaman 

I was with you all the way to the final line where you decided to make it racist. Shame as it was almost a good post. Maybe next time.

• Like 1

Returning to the actual point of the thread. Would people start Walcott if fit? I personally think we need hard working 10's this game who can track back and fill in as Leicester are lethal on the break and can overload you in wide areas. This is especially important without Romeu in the middle. I think I'd start Djenepo and Armstrong behind Adams and Ings to give as the best balance of attack and workrate. Would maybe bring on Redmond/Walcott/Tella as options from the bench.

5 minutes ago, TWar said:

I was with you all the way to the final line where you decided to make it racist. Shame as it was almost a good post. Maybe next time.

But you’d rather Gao, than that Disney fella 🤔

18 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

SKD, please go and start your own thread and spare the rest of us. There's no point having separate threads if they all melt down into the same topics diverted there by  whichever obsessive is holding forth, and we've got more than a few on this board.

We're obviously all interested in Saints more than the average, but many don't post anymore or rarely, and this sort of thread drift (which doesn't seem quite the right word!) is just one reason.

Edit: you're last post is more like it..

I’d happily see the mods create this into its own thread. I suspect in 5 years I’ll be coming back like Farage at an EU summit. *

“you all laughed at me....” 😉

*Disclaimer - based on current ownership. This comment is void if / when either club are taken over. 

Edited by SKD

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

Returning to the actual point of the thread. Would people start Walcott if fit? I personally think we need hard working 10's this game who can track back and fill in as Leicester are lethal on the break and can overload you in wide areas. This is especially important without Romeu in the middle. I think I'd start Djenepo and Armstrong behind Adams and Ings to give as the best balance of attack and workrate. Would maybe bring on Redmond/Walcott/Tella as options from the bench.

Yes. I don’t think Theo is great, but he’s a better than anything else we have there, other than Armstrong. 

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

How did i make it racist? Odd.

"In that same period we’ve made a profit from transfers yet still don’t have a pot to piss in and our fans stand back and applaud the model whilst getting all upset if anyone refers  to Goa as the chinaman" the implication being that if he was a good owner then calling him "the chinaman" would be unacceptable.

Clearly using "chinaman" as an insult, as if it is justified because he doesn't pay enough money into the club. Don't target peoples race when criticising them, stick to the fact he is running the club poorly, you will get a lot more support than just randomly using outdated racial slurs. Also the term itself is classed as "outdated, offensive" by the OED https://www.lexico.com/definition/chinaman

5 minutes ago, SKD said:

But you’d rather Gao, than that Disney fella 🤔

Gao is bad for a premier league owner, has invested relegation quantity money for us for years, much less than West Ham and Newcastle. "That disney fella" is bad for a league one owner, has invested next to nothing in the grand scheme of things and they are stuck in league one. If you added up all the money Eisner has invested in pompey it wouldn't be able to afford a back up left back in this league, it's all about scales. Gao doesn't invest enough to let us make £40m signings like Newcastle and West Ham but we do spend a hell of a lot more than anyone down in league one.

5 minutes ago, TWar said:

"In that same period we’ve made a profit from transfers yet still don’t have a pot to piss in and our fans stand back and applaud the model whilst getting all upset if anyone refers  to Goa as the chinaman" the implication being that if he was a good owner then calling him "the chinaman" would be unacceptable.

Clearly using "chinaman" as an insult, as if it is justified because he doesn't pay enough money into the club. Don't target peoples race when criticising them, stick to the fact he is running the club poorly, you will get a lot more support than just randomly using outdated racial slurs. Also the term itself is classed as "outdated, offensive" by the OED https://www.lexico.com/definition/chinaman

I didn't, i was referencing a thread on here a while back where a lot of people were getting very upset because someone else referred to him as a chinaman. Another person in such a rush to be offended without reading what was written. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Gao is bad for a premier league owner, has invested relegation quantity money for us for years, much less than West Ham and Newcastle. "That disney fella" is bad for a league one owner, has invested next to nothing in the grand scheme of things and they are stuck in league one. If you added up all the money Eisner has invested in pompey it wouldn't be able to afford a back up left back in this league, it's all about scales. Gao doesn't invest enough to let us make £40m signings like Newcastle and West Ham but we do spend a hell of a lot more than anyone down in league one.

Because we bring in more from Premier league revenue. Gao hasn’t invested a penny other than his initial outlay. 

Not relegation quantity money, Not a penny. 

Would he invest more if we were in L1, as the scales are smaller, I don’t know, impossible to say. But current situation would suggest that he wouldn’t. 

Just now, Turkish said:

I didn't, i was referencing a thread on here a while back where a lot of people were getting very upset because someone else referred to him as a chinaman. Another person in such a rush to be offended without reading what was written. 

Well Chinaman is an outdated and offensive term as defined by the OED and various other dictionaries. Confusing why you continue to use it when you know others consider it a slur, including the countries most highly regarded dictionary.

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

Well Chinaman is an outdated and offensive term as defined by the OED and various other dictionaries. Confusing why you continue to use it when you know others consider it a slur, including the countries most highly regarded dictionary.

I didn't and haven't used use it, i referenced others who did. Not sure what you're struggling with here, it's very, very simple to understand. Feel free to apologise for the accusations of racism.

Edited by Turkish

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

Do you have a source for this? 

It’s widely reported, even by those at the club, that we only have what we make to spend. Mr Gao doesn’t put anything in and doesn’t take anything out. 

That, or something of that ilk, came directly from Martin semmens mouth. 

Im sure if you look through the club accounts it’ll confirm this. 

Edited by SKD

I didn't and haven't used use it, i referenced others who did. Not sure what you're struggling with here, it's very, very simple to understand. Feel free to apologise for the accusations of racism.

That's strange, I could have swore I saw it in your post alongside a condemnation of people who criticised it's use. Maybe it was a mirage. Anyway I have no interest in arguing with you about this. It doesn't interest me in the slightest whether you are a racist or not. Just a shame as I would otherwise have agreed with your opinion. Either way, yes we are funded less than West Ham and Newcastle who have whiney entitled fans, no we are not funded worse than pompey who are struggling in league 1, yes we should return to the topic of the cup semi-final and away from SKD and Turkish who seem to say things purely to provoke a reaction.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TWar said:

That's strange, I could have swore I saw it in your post alongside a condemnation of people who criticised it's use. Maybe it was a mirage. Anyway I have no interest in arguing with you about this. It doesn't interest me in the slightest whether you are a racist or not. Just a shame as I would otherwise have agreed with your opinion. Either way, yes we are funded less than West Ham and Newcastle who have whiney entitled fans, no we are not funded worse than pompey who are struggling in league 1, yes we should return to the topic of the cup semi-final and away from SKD and Turkish who seem to say things purely to provoke a reaction.

Source?

1 minute ago, SKD said:

It’s widely reported, even by those at the club, that we only have what we make to spend. Mr Gao doesn’t put anything in and doesn’t take anything out. 

That, or something of that ilk, came directly from Martin semmens mouth. 

Where? We don't spend significantly on players but we do clearly spend a bit and that's not to mention investment in youth team and facilities. For instance we spent more on Jankewitz than pompey have on any player in their team. Do you have evidence Gao gives literally 0 money to any aspect of southampton football club? 

1 minute ago, SKD said:

Source?

Well since we are judging our owners investment vs others in the league with netspend then our netspend this season alone could buy the entire pompey squad, their netspend on the other hand wouldn't buy one of Walker-Peters' toes.

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

32 minutes ago, TWar said:

getting all upset if anyone refers  to Goa as the chinaman 

Yes it is strange because it's not what i said. You jumped in being all offended and rushing to point the finger of racism and didn't understand the point. "Anyone refering to Goa as the chinaman" that's not me saying it is it, that's not me calling him a chinaman. I'm not surprised you have no interest in arguing with me on it, funnily enough you were quite happy to rush into an arguement before you realised you made yourself look a bit silly. As i said, feel free to apologies, we've all made mistakes, then we can move on.

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yes it is strange because it's not what i said. You jumped in being all offended and rushing to point the finger of racism and didn't understand the point. "Anyone refering to Goa as the chinaman" that's not me saying it is it, that's not me calling him a chinaman. I'm not surprised you have no interest in arguing with me on it, funnily enough you were quite happy to rush into an arguement before you realised you made yourself look a bit silly. As i said, feel free to apologies, we've all made mistakes, then we can move on.

Sent you a DM, this is a really boring topic for a football forum but am still personally interested in discussing it. If you are interested feel free to reply, if you do things like this just to troll and get reactions and therefore don't care about the actual discussion feel free to ignore it.

Edited by TWar

1 minute ago, Verbal said:

Goa is a state in India, sunshine.  

Very nice it is too, some lovely beaches.

Anyway, Leicester: I'll be watching it with my Leicester-mad father-in-law so if we could just give a good performance and not embarrass ourselves, I'll be happy.

Theo on the bench for me, Ings/Adams/Redmond/Armstrong as the front 4, rest of the team picks itself.

• Like 1

Just now, TWar said:

Sent you a DM, this is a really boring topic for a football forum but am still personally interested in discussing it. If you are interested feel free to reply, if you do things like this just to grandstand and get reactions and therefore don't care about the actual discussion feel free to ignore it.

You publically accused me of racism. I was simply referencing what other people have referred to him as. You owe me a public apology.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TWar said:

Well since we are judging our owners investment vs others in the league with netspend then our netspend this season alone could buy the entire pompey squad, their netspend on the other hand wouldn't buy one of Walker-Peters' toes.

That money hasnt come from Gao, has it. Likely leveraged against future premier league revenue or past player sales. 

Edited by SKD

13 minutes ago, TWar said:

Where? We don't spend significantly on players but we do clearly spend a bit and that's not to mention investment in youth team and facilities. For instance we spent more on Jankewitz than pompey have on any player in their team. Do you have evidence Gao gives literally 0 money to any aspect of southampton football club? 

I can’t recall where, possibly one of the fans forums or one of the interviews. It was stated that Gao puts nothing in but takes nothing out, we are depending on what we bring in to what we spend. 

Do you have any evidence that he does, when it’s literally come from the CEO’s mouth he doesn’t? 

You publically accused me of racism. I was simply referencing what other people have referred to him as. You owe me a public apology.

Take that as a no then. If you can convince me that your original comment was not racist then I will be more than happy to issue a public apology, I'll even make it it's own thread. But I'm not going to have that conversation on this thread as, I hate to break it to you, no one else gives a shit. This will be my last post about your nonsense on this thread. If you wanna try and garner an apology or have any interest in actually discussing this, come do it in DM and stop wasting everyone elses time, if not just don't bother. I'm sure someone else will take your bait eventually.

33 minutes ago, TWar said:

Take that as a no then. If you can convince me that your original comment was not racist then I will be more than happy to issue a public apology, I'll even make it it's own thread. But I'm not going to have that conversation on this thread as, I hate to break it to you, no one else gives a shit. This will be my last post about your nonsense on this thread. If you wanna try and garner an apology or have any interest in actually discussing this, come do it in DM and stop wasting everyone elses time, if not just don't bother. I'm sure someone else will take your bait eventually.

How is repeating what other people have said make my comment racist? It might make them racist but not me. I know you've backed yourself into a bit of corner now and doing the fingers in ear, not listening dont want to talk about it and hope it goes away but you cant go around falsely accusing people of racism. If you dont want to apologies then that says more about you than me.

37 minutes ago, SKD said:

I can’t recall where, possibly one of the fans forums or one of the interviews. It was stated that Gao puts nothing in but takes nothing out, we are depending on what we bring in to what we spend. 

Do you have any evidence that he does, when it’s literally come from the CEO’s mouth he doesn’t? 

It was either Semmens or Steele said it a couple of months ago. He said something along the lines of hopefully we can bring enough money in during the summer to enable reinvestment in the team. I cant remember exactly and cant be bothered to look it up but he bascially said we need to sell to buy.

55 minutes ago, SKD said:

It was Semmens at the fans forum alongside Ralph. I was there.

Not sure if it was left in the public airing but a fan pressed him on the suspicious sponsorship and Adam Blackmore diverted to Evertons recent performances, that particular forum was when we'd just signed Danny Ings, I was present at both.

Also, again not sure if left in, but Les Reed was heckled badly with Krueger doing everything to avoid the questions being asked.

Edited by JustinSFC

5 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

It was Semmens at the fans forum alongside Ralph. I was there.

Not sure if it was left in the public airing but a fan pressed him on the suspicious sponsorship and Adam Blackmore diverted to Evertons recent performances, that particular forum was when we'd just signed Danny Ings, I was present at both.

Also, again not sure if left in, but Les Reed was heckled badly with Krueger doing everything to avoid the questions being asked.

I’m pretty sure it was also repeated on an interview he done on TSP. It no secret that Gao doesn’t invest a penny and we’re reliant on revenue gained. Nothing out, nothing in. 

31 minutes ago, Turkish said:

How is repeating what other people have said make my comment racist? It might make them racist but not me. I know you've backed yourself into a bit of corner now and doing the fingers in ear, not listening dont want to talk about it and hope it goes away but you cant go around falsely accusing people of racism. If you dont want to apologies then that says more about you than me.

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Comprehension seems to be a weakness of yours, as well as cognitive dissonance. 

Clearly ‘chinaman’ was a referenced remark. See what I did there... I referenced it. Does that make me a racist as well now? You’ve had a just explanation and you’re still not satisfied. Take what Turkish has wrote and apologise.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Roger said:

Anyone know when they are announcing times for this?

Does anyone know the 2 time slots, are they set already. For example SF1 will be Sat 5pm, SF 2 will be sun 4pm, or do they decide later when they pick the matches 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

1 hour ago, Wrensup said:

Comprehension seems to be a weakness of yours, as well as cognitive dissonance. 

Clearly ‘chinaman’ was a referenced remark. See what I did there... I referenced it. Does that make me a racist as well now? You’ve had a just explanation and you’re still not satisfied. Take what Turkish has wrote and apologise.

I should have been more clear, Turkish I'm not replying to your alt either, or weird mate. This guy, if he is another guy, is also welcome to DM me. Since you haven't yet I'll assume you were only trying to have this argument performatively.

If there is sufficient interest in discussing why "Chinaman" is considered a slur and why criticising people for being against the usage of slurs is, in of itself racist, then we can start a thread on one of the other, non-football related boards. I am happy to join you there and chat to your hearts content. But this is a thread about the football game between Leicester City and Southampton, not a place for you to try and start squabbles about things completely unrelated.

Edited by TWar

11 minutes ago, TWar said:

I should have been more clear, Turkish I'm not replying to your alt either, or weird mate. This guy, if he is another guy, is also welcome to DM me. Since you haven't yet I'll assume you were only trying to have this argument performatively.

If there is sufficient interest in discussing why "Chinaman" is considered a slur and why criticising people for being against the usage of slurs is, in of itself racist, then we can start a thread on one of the other, non-football related boards. I am happy to join you there and chat to your hearts content. But this is a thread about the football game between Leicester City and Southampton, not a place for you to try and start squabbles about things completely unrelated.

:lol: ah of course, it's not that you're wrong it's that everyone else is either another login of mine or a mate of mine. Brilliant!!

14 minutes ago, TWar said:

Why start the argument then pal? I mean, it was you who made the condescending post in the first place. 

12 minutes ago, TWar said:

I'm perfectly happy to continue the argument, just not on this thread.

the problem you have is there is more than just one person that thinks you're wrong. So PM is not going to work for you i'm afraid. 

9 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

NNC enters SW site following 16 hour absence.... oooh 2 pages to catch up on for the semi final.... 

Oh!

FFS sort yourselves out.

Glad I'm not the only one who would prefer to discuss Saints v Leicester rather than debate endlessly whether something is racist or not. I think there is a ready-made thread in the Lounge sub-forum for that. 

Back to topic- I'm not gonna add anything beyond I hope Ralph uses the next 2 PL games almost like an audition for the semi-final game.

Whilst I think the GK, back 4 and our 2 centre-mids are largely set in stone; I don't think any of the front 4 should find it a given to start (except perhaps Armstrong!)

Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't start Redmond unless he can show some good performances in the next 2 PL games- I'd right now prefer Armstrong/Djenepo/Ings/Adams for the semi. 

However, Ralph needs to supervise everyones time correctly i.e. the front 4 to ensure everyone gets ample opportunity to impress as we have Walcott/Tella/Minamino (although cuptied) to manage too. 

Edited by nta786

3 hours ago, SKD said:

I’m pretty sure it was also repeated on an interview he done on TSP. It no secret that Gao doesn’t invest a penny and we’re reliant on revenue gained. Nothing out, nothing in. 

So we are no different than Leicester, whose owners haven't put a penny in since promotion. What's the problem?

3 minutes ago, Cartman said:

So we are no different than Leicester, whose owners haven't put a penny in since promotion. What's the problem?

I don’t know how Leicester are run, but they’re clearly a better run club than us. 

If you don’t think the way we’re being run in that having to sell your best players each season just to fund strengthening elsewhere whilst still Being skint, is an issue, then you’re a bit odd. 

Both clubs have 2 pretty big fixtures coming up for their relevant goals this season. Fortunately, Leicester have 2 massive fixtures for top 4 so perhaps won’t have as much prep time as us. 

Our next 2 fixtures: 

Burnley 

West Brom

Leicester next 2: 

City 

West Ham 

11 minutes ago, SKD said:

I don’t know how Leicester are run, but they’re clearly a better run club than us. 

If you don’t think the way we’re being run in that having to sell your best players each season just to fund strengthening elsewhere whilst still Being skint, is an issue, then you’re a bit odd. 

Your concept of being well run seems to be having an owner spending his fortune on a business with an annual turnover of £150m, it takes being backed by an oil producing country to make a difference when turnovers are at that level, your average billionaire isn't going to make much of an impact. Look at Everton, hundreds of millions spent to achieve nothing. The difference between us and Leicester is they bought players that increased in value, were sold, and with that money they bought more players. Whereas we, in 2017 and 2018, spunked money on duds who, not only have we not been able to sell, but whose wages we have had to pay resulting in an inflated wage bill. Which makes your crusade against Gao odd, because the people responsible for those fuckups were there when he bought the club and he has since sacked and replaced them.

• Like 2