Southampton 0-1 Leicester - Match Thread

Matthew Le God

11 minutes ago, TWar said:

What an earth are you smoking? We are in an infinitely better situation than pompey. We have a bigger stadium, better facilities, and are playing in the premier league. By what metric are they in a better situation?

Long term I said. They have a stable owner, who isn’t investing loads, but has a stable business plan. I expect they’ll find their level about mid to lower championship in the next 5-10 years, which wouldn’t come as a surprise if we’re around about there either. 

How long will our business model survive outside of the PL? In its current format, not very long at all. 

Of course, I’m expecting us to be taken over at some point in the near future, however my point was to highlight that relegation doesn’t mean becoming extinct. In fact, that’s very rare. Especially for a club like us, with the above infrastructure (if not sold off in the process). It’s more attractive for a Marcus type investor. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, JRM said:

I've read a few articles on that which strongly hint if a semi final is chosen as a test event it would be limited to locals and not allocated to fans of clubs involved, that would be even more of a piss take than just having it behind closed doors (which is also a joke, by mid April we'll be down to almost zero deaths a day with the 'vulnerable ' vaccinated. )

Just let those who are happy to take the risk back in the ground ffs. 

Best bet I'm hoping for at the moment is pubs getting big screens outdoors to show the game but that will probably be discouraged by the authorities. 

Exactly! Even if there is any danger let the fans of the two pubs decide if they want to ‘risk’ it.

19 minutes ago, SKD said:

Long term I said. They have a stable owner, who isn’t investing loads, but has a stable business plan. I expect they’ll find their level about mid to lower championship in the next 5-10 years, which wouldn’t come as a surprise if we’re around about there either. 

How long will our business model survive outside of the PL? In its current format, not very long at all. 

Of course, I’m expecting us to be taken over at some point in the near future, however my point was to highlight that relegation doesn’t mean becoming extinct. In fact, that’s very rare. Especially for a club like us, with the above infrastructure (if not sold off in the process). It’s more attractive for a Marcus type investor. 

:lol:

2 hours ago, SKD said:

How many clubs have dropped out of the premier league and then gone out of business in the past 20 years...? 

I think your question is wrong....it should be "How many clubs have dropped out of the premier league and then gone out of business as a result of the COVID pandemic and the financial crippling effect on those clubs"

At the moment no one knows that answer but i honestly think those that drop out this season are going to be financially screwed and will be selling everyone that they can get a buck for. Anyone that does not think this will happen to Saints if relegated is deluded. This season and probably the next two or three are vital for us and the need to stay a Premier league team. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

I think your question is wrong....it should be "How many clubs have dropped out of the premier league and then gone out of business as a result of the COVID pandemic and the financial crippling effect on those clubs"

At the moment no one knows that answer but i honestly think those that drop out this season are going to be financially screwed and will be selling everyone that they can get a buck for. Anyone that does not think this will happen to Saints if relegated is deluded. This season and probably the next two or three are vital for us and the need to stay a Premier league team. 

We would have to do that pandemic or not. We’ve had to sell to buy for years despite being in the richest league in the world for 9 years now. 

41 minutes ago, SKD said:

Dafuq you on about 

42 minutes ago, SKD said:

Who would you rather have owning the club? Gao or that Disney fella? 

Took over in 2017 in League One and here we are four years later still in League One. Same ground, same infrastructure, fucking skint.

If that's the standard of success you drool over, fill your boots son.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SKD said:

long term are probably in a better situation than we are. 

How have you worked that out? We have a far more valuable playing squad, stadium and training ground. What indication is there that their long term future is better than ours?

1 hour ago, SKD said:

Pompey have achieved nothing under his ownership. They are stagnating in the 3rd tier. If they were ever to be promoted it would be difficult to see them face anything other than a relegation battle back to League One. 

Saints lacking investment in the PL id far better than Pompey lacking investment in L1 with shoddy infrastructure!

Edited by Matthew Le God

1 hour ago, SKD said:

Gao you absolute nutter. We have had a poor net spend but it's still in the region of 10s of million. Their entire squad is probably worth about 1-2 million. The "steady" amount their boss puts in is in the hundreds of thousands. We are underfunded compared to teams like West ham and Newcastle, our funding is tens of times more than a league one side enjoys. Absolutely mental, our club is probably worth ten times that of Portsmouth. 

Edited by TWar

26 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Took over in 2017 in League One and here we are four years later still in League One. Same ground, same infrastructure, fucking skint.

If that's the standard of success you drool over, fill your boots son.

That doesn’t answer the question though, does it. what would Gao have achieved in that time? 

I’m not saying their owner is some kind of super owner on the scale of City, but he’s better than Gao. 

17 minutes ago, TWar said:

Gao you absolute nutter. We have had a poor net spend but it's still in the region of 10s of million. Their entire squad is probably worth about 1-2 million. The "steady" amount their boss puts in is in the hundreds of thousands. We are underfunded compared to teams like West ham and Newcastle, our funding is tens of times more than a league one side enjoys. Absolutely mental, our club is probably worth ten times that of Portsmouth. 

I never said that our club isn’t worth more than Portsmouth in its current state, did I. 

As I understand it, Gao has not put 1 penny in the club. Everything we’ve spent is from the revenue gained from the PL Riches or player sales. So even if their owner has only put in ‘hundreds of thousands’, it’s hundreds of thousands more than Gao.  

We drop out, we lose those riches. We then rely on saleable assets even more than we do now and we’re running out of those (probably enough for a season or so if we went down). Riddled with a huge loan that we need to pay back on pretty awful rates. 

Like I said, I’m fully expecting us to be taken over, but in our current state, we’re not heading in the right direction and they won’t be in L1 for too much longer. 

For as long as we’re in the Premier league, of course we’ll finically be better off, purely due to the revenue of the league. However, when we drop out (which we will), let’s see how we do then 👍🏻

Edited by SKD
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

How have you worked that out? We have a far more valuable playing squad, stadium and training ground. What indication is there that their long term future is better than ours?

Pompey have achieved nothing under his ownership. They are stagnating in the 3rd tier. If they were ever to be promoted it would be difficult to see them face anything other than a relegation battle back to League One. 

Saints lacking investment in the PL id far better than Pompey lacking investment in L1 with shoddy infrastructure!

Cool. Who would you rather have as an owner was the question, not which clubs position would you rather be in. 

1 hour ago, SKD said:

Utterly ridiculous.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SKD said:

Cool. Who would you rather have as an owner was the question, not which clubs position would you rather be in. 

What a pointless question.

Surely if Gao turned us into a league one club with a shit tip of a ground and zero infrastructure then he would be giving the club fantastic long term prospects just like Pompey have now?

Is that your masterplan? Maybe knock St Mary's down and groundshare with Eastleigh? Sell off Staplewood? Anything else in the Pompey playbook you want us to take on?

Edited by CB Fry

1 hour ago, SKD said:

when we drop out (which we will), let’s see how we do then 👍🏻

Any chance of getting the lottery numbers, since you can predict the future? Speaking of revenue, how does us having a stadium almost twice the size of theirs factor in? Or our significantly better facilities?

Can you be honest? Are you actually a troll? I can maybe accept the Ralph stuff, but pompey having a better long term situation than us? A team which is mid table league 1, going nowhere, just sacked their manager, and doesn't have a pot to piss in vs a side in the premier league? Their entire first team squad is probably worth less than we could flog a couple of youth team players for. Surely this has to be some sort of joke.

Also if we drop down we have parachute payments and a large stadium, we would be fine. See teams like Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford who went down last season, two of them are currently in the top 2 spots in the championship. What makes you think Pompey won't be in league one for long? They look dreadful and are outside the playoff spots, no where near automatics. Could be years for them to be back up.

Edited by TWar

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Surely if Gao turned us into a league one club with a shit tip of a ground and zero infrastructure then he would be giving the club fantastic long term prospects just like Pompey have now?

Is that your masterplan? Maybe knock St Mary's down and groundshare with Eastleigh? Sell off Staplewood? Anything else in the Pompey playbook you want us to take on?

Their bloke didn’t turn them into a league one team though did he. As far as I’m aware, he hasn’t sold anything off? 

I never said they have fantastic long term prospects, just that long term, let’s say 5-10 years, with both clubs with their current owners they are a more stable club. 

It’s okay to admit it. Luckily, I think we’ll get taken over by someone who’s willing to push us on from the mess we’re currently in. 

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, TWar said:

Any chance of getting the lottery numbers, since you can predict the future? Speaking of revenue, how does us having a stadium almost twice the size of theirs factor in? Or our significantly better facilities?

Can you be honest? Are you actually a troll? I can maybe accept the Ralph stuff, but pompey having a better long term situation than us? A team which is mid table league 1, going nowhere, just sacked their manager, and doesn't have a pot to piss in vs a side in the premier league? Their entire first team squad is probably worth less than we could flog a couple of youth team players for. Surely this has to be some sort of joke.

Also if we drop down we have parachute payments and a large stadium, we would be fine. See teams like Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford who went down last season, two of them are currently in the top 2 spots in the championship. What makes you think Pompey won't be in league one for long? They look dreadful and are outside the playoff spots, no where near automatics. Could be years for them to be back up.

You are completely deluded if you think that in the way we currently operate we won’t go down. 

We could have a stadium 3 times the size of there’s, that wouldn’t matter when we’re pulling 20k in the championship. 

I’m not a troll, I’m not a skate either, just looking at the situation without red and white tinted glasses. 

For as long as we’re in the premier league, we’ll be miles ahead of them, when we drop, the gap will close. If we still have Gao when we drop, the gap will be a lot smaller than you are making out. 

Parachute payments served Sunderland, Swansea etc. Well haven’t they. We need to sell to buy in the premier league, how do you think that will work in the championship? 

28 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Now I see why SKD is so keen on getting rid of Ralph.

Haha if I was a skate I’d be wanting us to keep him given our form. 

But you’re wrong on both counts. I want us to keep Ralph, just believe that criticism is just and he’s not what saints fans make him out to be. 

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

🤣🤣

Best give up with SKD, his head has gone

1 minute ago, SKD said:

You are completely deluded if you think that in the way we currently operate we won’t go down. 

We could have a stadium 3 times the size of there’s, that wouldn’t matter when we’re pulling 20k in the championship. 

I’m not a troll, I’m not a skate either, just looking at the situation without red and white tinted glasses. 

For as long as we’re in the premier league, we’ll be miles ahead of them, when we drop, the gap will close. If we still have Gao when we drop, the gap will be a lot smaller than you are making out. 

Parachute payments served Sunderland, Swansea etc. Well haven’t they. We need to sell to buy in the premier league, how do you think that will work in the championship? 

Absolute nonsense. If we went down to the championship and sold JWP, Ings, Vestergaard, ect. we'd still have more than enough to come back up, look how Norwich are doing this season after being dreadful in the premier league. The gap between the prem and championship right now is huge and teams will yo-yo back and forth. Pompey on the otherhand have a league one quality squad. How long would it take them to have a squad anywhere near the quality of ours when basically every player in our matchday squad would sell for the value of their entire starting 11?

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Imagine being so upset with a twelve game dip in form you start to envy a team midtable league one. Absolutely embarrassing, seriously.

Haha fair play, you’ve done me there, kind of. 

Im not talking on pitch, I’m talking sustainability of business plan and owner. 

Getting back on to thread subject, Long story short, thanks for proving my point in that swapping a cup for relegation would not result in going bust 👍🏻

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

Getting back on to thread subject, Long story short, thanks for proving my point in that swapping a cup for relegation would not result in going bust 👍🏻

Yeah I'm with you on this. Cups you will remember for the rest of your life. With the way the championship is right now teams will bounce up and down a lot over the next ten years, I imagine the same teams will mostly make up the premier league now with one or two outliers who get quickly relegated. I don't want us to become a bounce club but a trophy is worth more for me than treading water in mid table prem rather than being like newcastle and going down every so often and coming back up pretty promptly.

7 minutes ago, TWar said:

Absolute nonsense. If we went down to the championship and sold JWP, Ings, Vestergaard, ect. we'd still have more than enough to come back up, look how Norwich are doing this season after being dreadful in the premier league. The gap between the prem and championship right now is huge and teams will yo-yo back and forth. Pompey on the otherhand have a league one quality squad. How long would it take them to have a squad anywhere near the quality of ours when basically every player in our matchday squad would sell for the value of their entire starting 11?

Hugely debatable. Norwich are a very good championship side who added little to no quality when they came up and didn’t lose it when they went down. Buendia is a top 6 player. 

Some teams yo-yo, but predominantly those who’ve been in the PL for a sustained period of time don’t (Stoke, Swansea, Sunderland in recent years). 

We’d effectively rely on going up within the first season or 2. After that, we’d be in trouble given the lack of investment from the owner, lack of PL funds and a big old loan with silly interest + players on PL wages. 

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

Yeah I'm with you on this. Cups you will remember for the rest of your life. With the way the championship is right now teams will bounce up and down a lot over the next ten years, I imagine the same teams will mostly make up the premier league now with one or two outliers who get quickly relegated. I don't want us to become a bounce club but a trophy is worth more for me than treading water in mid table prem rather than being like newcastle and going down every so often and coming back up pretty promptly.

100% agree with you. Just to clarify, not sure if I put the point across well enough. 

Im not saying they are a bigger club or are in a better position than us on the pitch. 

It was purely to show that even in the worse case, you are very unlikely to go bust and will still attract a wealthy owner. 

I maintain that I’d swap owner with them tomorrow. Gao is the worst owner in the league by a very long way. He’s pointless, just a head figure who offers absolutely nothing. The only positive I can think is that he’s not having a day to day input into the club, thankfully. 

20 minutes ago, SKD said:

100% agree with you. Just to clarify, not sure if I put the point across well enough. 

Im not saying they are a bigger club or are in a better position than us on the pitch. 

It was purely to show that even in the worse case, you are very unlikely to go bust and will still attract a wealthy owner. 

I maintain that I’d swap owner with them tomorrow. Gao is the worst owner in the league by a very long way. He’s pointless, just a head figure who offers absolutely nothing. The only positive I can think is that he’s not having a day to day input into the club, thankfully. 

Not sure what criteria you are using to judge worst owner

At least he hasn't taken money out like the Glaziers,  saddled the club with debt like Bolton's new lot.  Think West Ham and Newcastle fans would disagree as well. 

I'm not saying he is any good and I'm not a fan of his but he is similar to several others who don't bankroll the club either.

If we get sold it is unlikely to be to a rich benefactor and more likely to a hedge fund type who will want a return. That could be worse. 

Edited by John D
Wrong word
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, John D said:

At least he hasn't taken money out like the Glaziers,  saddled the club with debt like Bolton's new lot.  Think West Ham and Newcastle fans would disagree as well. 

I'm not saying he is any good and I'm not a fan of his but he is similar to several others who don't bankroll the club either.

If we get sold it is unlikely to be to a rich benefactor and more likely to a hedge fund type who will want a return. That could be worse. 

Criteria is the fact that not 1 penny has been invested into the club to grow us as a business. 

We don’t have any money for him to take out. We need everything we make to muster up some ‘rough diamond’. 

Bolton aren’t in this league, but assume you mean Burnley? That’s a fair comment, although we have just taken a huge loan out, so yes, we are riddled with debt. 

West Ham and Newcastle fans are just a bunch of cry babies. I think Ralph would love the backing they’ve given their recent years. It not the money that’s the issue, it’s the way it’s been spent. 

I don’t think anything could be worse, we’re very fortunate to have survived the past 3 seasons. Continued lack of investment and ending in the championship would be a disaster. 

1 hour ago, SKD said:

I never said they have fantastic long term prospects, just that long term, let’s say 5-10 years, with both clubs with their current owners they are a more stable club. 

Except that isn't what you said, is it.

What you said was 

Haha. But even using them as the extremest and rarest example, they still have a club and long term are probably in a better situation than we are. 

Which is absolute horseshit on every metric.

It's okay to admit it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Except that isn't what you said, is it.

What you said was 

Haha. But even using them as the extremest and rarest example, they still have a club and long term are probably in a better situation than we are. 

Which is absolute horseshit on every metric.

It's okay to admit it.

Fair enough, probably my use of words not portraying my point clearly enough. Happy to admit that. 

But ownership wise, they are in a better situation, in my opinion. That’s not horseshit, it’s purely because of how bad Gao is. 

11 minutes ago, SKD said:

Fair enough, probably my use of words not portraying my point clearly enough. Happy to admit that. 

But ownership wise, they are in a better situation, in my opinion. That’s not horseshit, it’s purely because of how bad Gao is. 

If you'd just said you think Eisner is a more impressive individual than Gao then I'd agree immediately.

For a while I've had an interest in the history of Disney and there is no doubt what he achieved there is incredibly impressive and no doubt is better than anything our guy has done in China. I'm bewildered he's at Pompey and in four years he has achieved absolutely nothing.

So I think you are getting massively carried away.

Gao is a Chinese Lowe and maybe that will see us relegated. But as it stands we'd go down in reasonable shape to come back up again. After all, it wasn't relegation in itself that screwed us into administration, it was the Burley gamble which didn't pay off. He blew the money and that was that.

What is incredibly tiresome is people who cannot accept we might just go down to the Championship and just decide that one relegation immediately equals League One, administration and oblivion, despite that happening hardly ever. Why can't we just have a normal relegation like pretty much every other club ever?

Just calm down, son.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Teddeer said:

This thread, which started out as a look at our semi-final against Leicester, has gone off on so many tangents and down so many rabbit holes you'd be hard pressed to know what the original topic was. Bizarre. 

Haha, so you mean like most of the other threads on here then? ;) 

Just par for the course.

So anyway, Leicester City. Probably the best we could have hoped for under the cirumstances. Maybe they'll get a player sent off after 13 minutes and we'll stuff them 9-0. Love to see the drivelling media loons froth over that for the next two years. :)

As others have said (back when it was the FA Cup Semi Final topic), you'd be forgiven for thinking that Leicester had been given a bye straight into the Final. Hopefully complacency will level the playing field a bit for us. 

And then we'll get Mike Dean, with Skate Mason on VAR.

6 hours ago, CB Fry said:

What is incredibly tiresome is people who cannot accept we might just go down to the Championship and just decide that one relegation immediately equals League One, administration and oblivion, despite that happening hardly ever. Why can't we just have a normal relegation like pretty much every other club ever?

Just calm down, son.

This is and was exactly my point. Using them as the rarest and most extreme example, they’ve not gone into oblivion and have found themselves a stable owner who isn’t bankrolling them through the leagues, but will level them out lower end of the championship... I’d take that for a cup win all day long. 

28 minutes ago, SKD said:

This is and was exactly my point. Using them as the rarest and most extreme example, they’ve not gone into oblivion and have found themselves a stable owner who isn’t bankrolling them through the leagues, but will level them out lower end of the championship... I’d take that for a cup win all day long. 

If that really was your point then you've gone about it in the most ham fisted way possible.

No one, apart from you, wants us to win the cup and in return become a club with Portsmouth's prospects.

We agree on the lets win the cup thing so let's leave it there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

If that really was your point then you've gone about it in the most ham fisted way possible.

No one, apart from you, wants us to win the cup and in return become a club with Portsmouth's prospects.

We agree on the lets win the cup thing so let's leave it there.

Again, fake news. That’s not what I want, as I’ve clearly said ‘rarest and most extreme’ example. But agree, probably wasn’t clear in the initial comment. 

Everyone agrees we’re in a better shape than Portsmouth. No reason to be worried about relegation if we win the cup then. Full focus needs to be on that, fuck the league, which were pretty much safe in, off. 

10 hours ago, John D said:

West Ham and Newcastle fans might well disagree but I bet West Ham fans aren’t moaning now as they’re challenging for the the top 4. They’ve a net spend of £150m the last 5 years Newcastle fans also bleat on as they are entitled thinking they should be a top 6 club, theyve spent over £100m more than they’ve made from transfers last 5 season yet Mike Ashley is hated as a tight fisted cockney wanker.

In that same period we’ve made a profit from transfers yet still don’t have a pot to piss in and our fans stand back and applaud the model whilst getting all upset if anyone refers  to Goa as the chinaman 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I do wonder where SKD gets his screwball ideas from, bless him.

Take a breather lad😉

Saying PFC is a better model than ours is mental 🤣

Disney man is doing nothing of note in league 1 and Gao is doing nothing in the PL but if we got relegated it would not mean melt down that's for sure.

Personally i would love to win the cup and stay comfortably on the PL but understand we may be relegated at some point 

• Like 1

SKD, please go and start your own thread and spare the rest of us. There's no point having separate threads if they all melt down into the same topics diverted there by  whichever obsessive is holding forth, and we've got more than a few on this board.

We're obviously all interested in Saints more than the average, but many don't post anymore or rarely, and this sort of thread drift (which doesn't seem quite the right word!) is just one reason.

Edit: you're last post is more like it..

Edited by suewhistle
  • Like 1