Southampton 0-1 Leicester - Match Thread

Matthew Le God

22 hours ago, The Cat said:

Reckon it will be schools and families. Easier to socially distance groups of people than a load of individuals. Atmosphere will be electric. 

God no. It’ll be like those school boy internationals or a chicks game. Loads of high pitched squealing when the ball goes near the goal. FFS. 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

God no. It’ll be like those school boy internationals or a chicks game. Loads of high pitched squealing when the ball goes near the goal. FFS. 

The 1970s called, it wants its misogyny back.

Just another Ashes affictionada | Life on mars, John simm, Tv shows

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Leicester resting players today 

Only Maddison by the looks of things is fit but not playing from their best 11. They have CL still to compete for though. Not mid table like us.

1 minute ago, Chapel End said:

They said Perez and Choudry as well. 

What has happened to Barnes?

Wouldn't say Perez or Choudhury are first choice - squad/bench players.

Barnes did his ACL I think, he's out for a long, long time.

• Like 1

The thing with Leicester city is they tend to finish strongly in games especially if they're behind.

Like today they've been shite for 60 odd minutes but the last 25 0r so they've been strong and that's when we tend to chuck games.

This might also be because West Ham are sitting deep.

But fucking hell, we'll have to be careful.

11 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Leicester will have at least half an eye on the top four battle now.

Yep, I’d love to know what some of their fans would think if given the choice of FA Cup vs Top 4

I’d like to hope they’d all choose the cup but there’ll be some in their camp who may see a top 4 finish as elevating their status a bit more and give them more financial backing to complete for a cup in the next few seasons.

1 hour ago, nta786 said:

Yep, I’d love to know what some of their fans would think if given the choice of FA Cup vs Top 4

I’d like to hope they’d all choose the cup but there’ll be some in their camp who may see a top 4 finish as elevating their status a bit more and give them more financial backing to complete for a cup in the next few seasons.

The difference between them and us is they’ve won major silverware fairly recently. Obviously the premier league title but also two league cup wins in 96 and 2000, along with a championship title. We’ve won one thing is 131 years, you’d hope they too would rather win the cup but given they’ve been more successful than us in recent history i find the attitude of some of our fans that survival over trophies is more important very strange 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

1885 to 2021 is 136 years. 😉

Look Over Here Steve Carell GIF

Nothing wrong with what Turkish said (you could have picked him up for typing "is" instead of "in"). We have won one thing in 131 years. We've won one thing in 132 years, one thing in 133 years, one thing in 45 years.

I guess the Johnstones Paint doesn't count. We have actually won the Third Division twice (Third Divison South once if you want to be pedantic), and the Southern League six times, and let's not forget the glory days in the Hampshire Senior Cup.

48 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Nothing wrong with what Turkish said (you could have picked him up for typing "is" instead of "in"). We have won one thing in 131 years. We've won one thing in 132 years, one thing in 133 years, one thing in 45 years.

I guess the Johnstones Paint doesn't count. We have actually won the Third Division twice (Third Divison South once if you want to be pedantic), and the Southern League six times, and let's not forget the glory days in the Hampshire Senior Cup.

Don’t forget ‘the Daily Express’ 5 aside cup.......

This is going to be another feeble effort like 2018 again isn't it. 

Feel sorry for the poor employees of Brent council and NHS workers who are given seats at the Saints end of the ground. 

6 minutes ago, saint77 said:

What a weird xrick you are 

Cheers bud. 

At this point, I just find it laughable how poor we are. It’d be pretty funny if we got beat 9-0 again though, wouldn’t it. 

Were shit, we know we’re shit, might as well laugh about it. It’s not the be all or end all. 

(disclaimer: obviously I’d prefer a win, that’s just very unlikely). 

• Sad 1

For me after that Walcott, Redmond and Bednerak played themselves out of the semis. We cant seriously play the same 11 again after that. Forster will be a lucky boy to keep sticks and the only reason Diallo and Bertrand get in is because there are no alternatives.

Forster 

KWP  Vest   Salisu   Berty

Diallo JWP

Armstrong          Djenepo

Adams.   Ings

9 minutes ago, SKD said:

Cheers bud. 

At this point, I just find it laughable how poor we are. It’d be pretty funny if we got beat 9-0 again though, wouldn’t it. 

Were shit, we know we’re shit, might as well laugh about it. It’s not the be all or end all. 

Think you’ve mentioned “9-0” and “record defeat” more times than pundits and commentators.

Impressive.

6 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Centre backs, diallo, walcott all should be nowhere near the lineup based on today's performance

What other options do we have though? They have to start. I agree though, I think apart from Ings, JWP and maybe KWP, none of that line up that played this evening should be nowhere the 11. 

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

One more of them and you're having a week off. 🙄

Is that how it works on here? Ban people for negative comments and reviews... a bit North Korea if you ask me. 

Clearly a tongue in cheek comment, if the people can’t handle it, then that’s their fault not mine... ironically as much as it was tongue in cheek, West Brom could have score nine today, so I do fear what a decent side could do to us 😊

Edited by SKD
  • Sad 2

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

What other options do we have though? They have to start. I agree though, I think apart from Ings, JWP and maybe KWP, none of that line up that played this evening should be nowhere the 11. 

We''ve got other options at centre back and winger. CM, well there's always Jankewitz which would be a gamble but it's not as if he's not talented.

11 minutes ago, SKD said:

Is that how it works on here? Ban people for negative comments and reviews... a bit North Korea if you ask me. 

Clearly a tongue in cheek comment, if the people can’t handle it, then that’s their fault not mine... ironically as much as it was tongue in cheek, West Brom could have score nine today, so I do fear what a decent side could do to us 😊

Fear not, it will clearly be a tongue in cheek banning. 

• Haha 1

On 25/03/2021 at 14:29, nta786 said:

Back to topic- I'm not gonna add anything beyond I hope Ralph uses the next 2 PL games almost like an audition for the semi-final game.

Whilst I think the GK, back 4 and our 2 centre-mids are largely set in stone; I don't think any of the front 4 should find it a given to start (except perhaps Armstrong!)

Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't start Redmond unless he can show some good performances in the next 2 PL games- I'd right now prefer Armstrong/Djenepo/Ings/Adams for the semi. 

However, Ralph needs to supervise everyones time correctly i.e. the front 4 to ensure everyone gets ample opportunity to impress as we have Walcott/Tella/Minamino (although cuptied) to manage too. 

I said this on the 25th and stand by it. I also don't think Ralph managed the front 4 well at all, stuck with the same line up and made subs very late. 

My preference: Forster, KWP, Bednarek, Vestegaard, Bertrand, JWP, Diallo, Armstrong, Djenepo, Ings, Adams

However, I think Ralph will stick to the team that started today. 

43 minutes ago, SKD said:

Cheers bud. 

Hate to ask this, but what's the record defeat in a FA Cup semi-final ?

1 minute ago, JRM said:

Hate to ask this, but what's the record defeat in a FA Cup semi-final ?

• The highest winning margin was Newcastle United's 6–0 victory over Fulham in the 1908 Anfield FA Cup semi-final.

• Manchester City claim joint-biggest win ever in FA Cup history with 6-0 drubbing of Watford at Wembley. Manchester City have claimed the joint-biggest win ever in

7-0, which shockingly wouldn’t be a surprise, is another record for Ralph. 

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I know we don’t have any other choice, but how does JWP get away without criticism? Free-kicks aside he contributes nothing.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, SKD said:

Play 

KWP

Salisu

Vestergaard

JWP

Diallo

Ings 

pick the rest and the formation out of a hat and hope for the best. I’m going for a 3-0 defeat

Very worryingly, if you offered me that, I would seriously think about it. 

Edited by Micky

2 minutes ago, Nemi said:

I know we don’t have any other choice, but how does JWP get away without criticism? Free-kicks aside he contributes nothing.

Are you kidding me?

2 weeks ago he was the one of the best in the world and Ronaldo on here.

Joking asside, he contributes a lot and that tonight was one bad game in a long time for him and the whole team were shite.

JWP is clearly a big part of Ralph's game, granted Ralph's game isn't massively effective at the moment but that's a whole other conversation.

To single him out in isolation based on that tonight is harsh, it was the whole lot of them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JRM said:

This is going to be another feeble effort like 2018 again isn't it. 

Feel sorry for the poor employees of Brent council and NHS workers who are given seats at the Saints end of the ground. 

Strangely this is about the only positive that I could muster as well.  Without the lockdown we would all traipse off to Wembley again, to invariably head home bitterly disappointed by both the result and display.  Small mercies. 

3 hours ago, Hodgey said:

For me after that Walcott, Redmond and Bednerak played themselves out of the semis. We cant seriously play the same 11 again after that. Forster will be a lucky boy to keep sticks and the only reason Diallo and Bertrand get in is because there are no alternatives.

Forster 

KWP  Vest   Salisu   Berty

Diallo JWP

Armstrong          Djenepo

Adams.   Ings

That would be my starting line up too.  Wouldn’t be concerned if McCarthy replaced FF as well.

FA Cup Final day - Manchester City vs Southampton. The build up, the coverage, the excitement. Drink it in. ABIDE WITH ME with tears rolling down your cheek. The knowledge we are safe for another season and can give the game everything we have got. The lack of caring that City get 80% of the analysis to our 20%. The lack of caring that we are about to come up against De Bruyne and co. The day is all about the build up sod the result. We can dream, can't we? We've not so long ago beaten City with a similar team. It is 11 vs 11 and it is DOABLE! Just DREAM! And what if? WHAT IF we actually do it and beat City? Can you imagine that feeling? Those of you old enough know the feeling. I was there for the JPT. This would feel infinitely better than that. History.

THAT IS WHAT IS AT STAKE! (Unless Chelsea get through but the principal is the same...)

Only Leicester City stand in our way. We can do it people. Just believe! One game, it's just one game. Put your thoughts about our crappy team to one side and focus on the positivity. Taste the final...

And hell if you don't believe, you can always stick a huge insurance bet on! 😁

• Like 3

Think i'd drop Diallo, bring Stuart into CM with JWP, and play redmond / walcott on the wings with Che and Danny up front. We're too lightweight with Diallo in CM and Redmond up front. Che brings us physicality and Stuart is far superior to Diallo. Without Che up front we will lose imo as we have zero physical threat and hold up play.

Arguments could be made for picking Djenpo over walcott, but either way, our 4 wide men of Redmond/Theo/Djenpo/Tella should all expect a run out imo.

Bednarek has been struggling of late, but I am not sure Salisu is ready yet. Would be a big call to chance the CB pairing for a semi final.

Would give Macca a recall.

Injuries are such that any other changes are probably unreasonable.

Macca

KWP   Vestergard       Bednarek(or salisu)   Bertrand

JWP       Armstrong

Walcott/Djenpo                     Redmond

Che     Ings

Edited by Saint86

It is still perfectly possible for us to beat Leicester in a one off game.

I'd like to see Che back in the team, and not sure Diallo has earned his place, but difficult to drop him without disruption elsewhere (ie moving Armstrong back).

But as someone has already said, it feels inevitable that it will just be an unchanged side from yesterday.