Southampton 0-1 Leicester - Match Thread

Matthew Le God

19 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Finally Vardy is in the worse form of his life and many want him dropped.

What has been happening with Vardy is that he is still making the normal runs but now Iheanacho is taking advantage of the space he creates. He may not be scoring but he he is still very dangerous ! Maddison will have something to prove & it really should be a cracking game.

12 hours ago, Saint Billy said:

Churchill "We shall never surrender". Well, he didn't see Saints play West Brom last week did he. 

Imo, I can never see saints upping their game enough to beat Leicester on Sunday. 

The only explanation for that disgusting shambolic performance is they were saving themselves for the cup game, wether that was laziness on their part or instructed to do so by RH is the question? 

22 minutes ago, Mr X said:

The only explanation for that disgusting shambolic performance is they were saving themselves for the cup game, wether that was laziness on their part or instructed to do so by RH is the question? 

They’ve been doing it for about 4 months now. I’d say it’s more a combination of a number of factors, 2 of which are the tactics and players no longer playing for the manager. 

Funny enough, I could see them busting a gut on Sunday. We’ve got some real cancerous, selfish, bad eggs in this squad and they’ll give 100% for their own gain in a cup semi final. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, SKD said:

They’ve been doing it for about 4 months now. I’d say it’s more a combination of a number of factors, 2 of which are the tactics and players no longer playing for the manager. 

Funny enough, I could see them busting a gut on Sunday. We’ve got some real cancerous, selfish, bad eggs in this squad and they’ll give 100% for their own gain in a cup semi final. 

Or we are just a shit football team with one dimensional coach 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SKD said:

Who in particular are you referring to?

So are most on here doom merchants thriving on the hope of a bad result so they can wallow in their own mire or like the vast majority of us ever optimistic true fans continuing to hope and not perpetually slagging off the manager and players??

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, fanimal said:

So are most on here doom merchants thriving on the hope of a bad result so they can wallow in their own mire or like the vast majority of us ever optimistic true fans continuing to hope and not perpetually slagging off the manager and players??

Very unfair.  Some fans do allow wishful thinking to give them hope of an unexpected result, whereas others are realistic, recognising that it's more likely the best team will win.  Saints' supporters who admit that Leicester has the better team don't want to see us lose, they are just being honest about their expectations.  Expecting the game to go according to form is logical but we all know that the unexpected can happen.  It seems reasonable to expect one result while hoping for another.

Edited by Professor
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SKD said:

Some great stuff 🙄 in paragraph 2 about something you have very little knowledge about, nothing but negative speculation.

Why you feel the need to post it is beyond me.

We all accept that things are far from where everyone want us to be, but using words like cancerous is very unnecessary. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Who in particular are you referring to?

Ings and Bertrand. 

If they’re in a bad mood, it seems like everyone else is as well. 

Listen to TSP, Dan Sheldon said the same (without naming them).

Bertrand in particular, his attitude is fucking appalling. A shame we have no one else to challenge him as I’d drop him for Sunday. 

Edited by SKD
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Some great stuff 🙄 in paragraph 2 about something you have very little knowledge about, nothing but negative speculation.

Why you feel the need to post it is beyond me.

We all accept that things are far from where everyone want us to be, but using words like cancerous is very unnecessary. 

But that’s exactly what some of these players are. Their poisonous, negative attitude spreads and affects the rest of the squad. 

Just watch certain players (senior players as well), when things don’t go our way. They’ll give up and throw their arms about. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SKD said:

But that’s exactly what some of these players are. Their poisonous, negative attitude spreads and affects the rest of the squad. 

Just watch certain players (senior players as well), when things don’t go our way. They’ll give up and throw their arms about. 

So this is the extent of your evidence. You should be barred from jury service.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

You posted like it was fact but it isnt, its just your rambling opinion and most can see right through it

Well done for ‘seeing right through the fact I’m not a club employee and in the dressing room. great insight. 

Just for you Always (fact), I’ll point out what is a fact and what an educated opinion from now on. 

Edited by SKD

41 minutes ago, SKD said:

Well done for ‘seeing right through the fact I’m not a club employee and in the dressing room. great insight. 

Just for you Always (fact), I’ll point out what is a fact and what an educated opinion from now on. 

Cheers but its not an educated guess is it, you have absolutely no idea at all.

Just a nasty accusation, made particularly vile by using the word    " cancerous" .  Some very unfortunate people are suffering from it ,you should be ashamed for using it in those terms.

You need to calm down and engage your brain before posting offensive material 

• Like 15

12 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Cheers but its not an educated guess is it, you have absolutely no idea at all.

Watch a game, watch the negative body language and and lack of effort. 

Engage in any form of team sport (I highly doubt you ever have in your time), see someone with those traits and then come back and tell me it’s not an educated guess. 

Also, listen to TSP, Dan sheldon of the athletic said similar, so I guess he has no idea either. 

2 hours ago, SKD said:

Watch a game, watch the negative body language and and lack of effort. 

Engage in any form of team sport (I highly doubt you ever have in your time), see someone with those traits and then come back and tell me it’s not an educated guess. 

Also, listen to TSP, Dan sheldon of the athletic said similar, so I guess he has no idea either. 

What is this TSP of which you write?

11 hours ago, Professor said:

Very unfair.  Some fans do allow wishful thinking to give them hope of an unexpected result, whereas others are realistic, recognising that it's more likely the best team will win.  Saints' supporters who admit that Leicester has the better team don't want to see us lose, they are just being honest about their expectations.  Expecting the game to go according to form is logical but we all know that the unexpected can happen.  It seems reasonable to expect one result while hoping for another.

Happy clapping 👏🏻 twats don’t understand that logic tho .. we get beat by 9 again it Won’t be players fault or Ralph hasntascooby! It’ll be some mind numbing excuse made like the ball wasn’t completely round or the goal posts were made of the wrong metal .. we all want saints to turn up bet Monday night has drained the body of enthusiasm!! Be on it early Sunday🍺 to numb the pain 

Edited by Chris cooper
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

C’mon then, name and shame, I enjoy the gossip more than agonising about our poor team these days.

Turkish has the best database on such stuff. Buctootim has a notoriously good wallchart complete with info about partners and quotes. All available on the dark web

Edited by whelk

Well despite the debacle on Monday, I'm still carrying some hope (if not expectation) into this game.

I think all we really want is to see a fully committed display and one hopes the absence of a notable crowd won't impact that.

They could do well to watch highlights of the Watford semi-final from 2003.  The current squad is way more talented than that one, in my opinion, but the sheer effort put in by every man that day, for the whole game, should be used as the benchmark for what we expect to see on Sunday.

I don't think that's unreasonable really...

9-0 (to Leicester) is 200-1 on Betfair...

BUT: One-off game, TBH anything can happen. Be great if we turn up. We live in hope of a final appearance. From Ralph's perspective it is important to turn around a pretty dreadful season, overall.

1 minute ago, Viking Saint said:

It's the hope that kills you. Based on the premise that we can't possibly be as bad again as we were against WBA, I'm going for a 1-0 win

Why can't we be as bad again as we were against WBA? We have two nine nil defeats & numerous 3-0 plus defeats on our CV & have only I think two wins in last 15 

14 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

Right so we are due a win. 

I'm afraid not, we had our wins against Sheffield United and Burnley , I think our next win will be due around the time we play Fulham. 

I wonder if it's the 'trouble-makers' that we should move on to get some unity in the side. We all have our views on who they might be. They certainly don't look very together as a team. Wonder what the real dressing room is like and whether they have faith in Ralph or his system. Going on the body language stuff in the thread...

1 hour ago, DT said:

I wonder if it's the 'trouble-makers' that we should move on to get some unity in the side. We all have our views on who they might be. They certainly don't look very together as a team. Wonder what the real dressing room is like and whether they have faith in Ralph or his system. Going on the body language stuff in the thread...

Those are the questions I ask myself. Wondering for a long time if Ralph asks too much of everyone, especially the midfielders and they have had a gut full. 

Hoping for a win but expecting a bit of a walloping given the form of 2021. Would not be surprised if it is in the range of 0-4 if we leave even 10% of the space given to WBA on Monday. Leicester have some of the most dangerous runners in the league and our defence don't seem too bothered to pick up runners. Having seen a measly one FA cup semi final win in 40 years of watching Saints live it is hard to have too high an expectation for this game. Now for a masterly defensive performance with a JWP free kick winner in the 94th minute...

It is interesting and amusing to see how fans handle the pressure of an FA cup semi final. Whatever they will admit to all the posters on here desperately want Southampton to win, but how do you protect yourself from the awful pain of defeat. That's why some will say we have no chance and criticise everything about the club from the owner to the players. My first semi final was in 1963 and I was convinced we would win. Man Utd were having a terrible season and Saints had just thrashed a team higher than them after an epic series of 6th round clashes, Cup fever in Southampton was at boiling point. On the day the 68,000 crowd at Villa Park overwhelmed me and the team. I was heartbroken, we were only a second division team and had never been in the top flight - this was probably the only chance of getting to a final we would ever have. I was determined never to raise my hopes to such a level again so that by 2018 I was convinced we would lose and we did. We had other things to worry about and it hurt less than a covid jab. This time is a bit different though. Semi finals are normally a gathering of the clan, a time to celebrate being a Saints fan, a bit of a party but on Sunday the only thing that matters is the result. The team have not done a lot to raise expectations, though Ralf has the unusual knack of being able to both raise and lower expectations at the same time. Leicester are clearly the favourites we will probably lose - if I don't think like that how will I cope with Monday morning? On the other hand is there anything sweeter than winning when you don't expect it?    

• Like 5

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 0-1 Leicester - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic