Southampton 0-1 Leicester - Match Thread

Matthew Le God

23 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The FA cup isn’t what it was, it’s been down graded and ruined by a series of small steps that taken individually don’t appear much, but added together has killed it. It’s just like foreign cups were/are. 

Without getting into all the cup win / relegation arguments, you can bet your life Brendan Rodgers would rather finish 4th than win the cup. Think about that for a minute, a club that have never won the cup, a manager that’s won fuck all in England and he’d rather finish 4th ( I realise he could have both). That’s how far it’s fallen. 

I very much doubt it. The money men at the club might prefer the CL money, but I think most managers would favour a cup win if given the hypothetical choice.

7 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Yep, agreed. Cup final day used to be special as there weren’t too many games shown live at other times throughout the season. I Always remember tuning in dead early for the cup final though, tv cameras on the team bus etc. Once Sky came in and there were multiple games on every week, the status of the FA cup was always going to dip. I still always tune in for the final these days though, sun shining on the Wembley pitch is a nostalgic sight.

I do think semi finals at neutral grounds would be better, as getting to Wembley should be the preserve for just finalists. Not going to happen though.

I can't think of a more neutral ground than Wembley.

I know what you mean though but, another reason for using Wembley is more fans can attend!

50 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

Did I mishear or did he misspeak, I wasn't really awake, but I thought the Culture Secretary said on 5 live that the FA Cup semi finals and Final would be test events? Did anyone else hear it? 

I though same at first, but I think he was talking about the Euro 2020 semis and final, which of course are now being played this year, and are all being played at Wembley.

42 minutes ago, Golactico said:

I though same at first, but I think he was talking about the Euro 2020 semis and final, which of course are now being played this year, and are all being played at Wembley.

Thanks, that's probably what he meant, though I'm not sure that's what he said.  

I didn't hear the interview but I think the FA Cup semi and finals are being talked about as initial test events. Maybe one of the semis not both.

Not sure they'd let many people from actual Leicester and Southampton to go though.

The Euros i think they hope are closer to more full events, rather than tests - 40k at Wembley, something like that. 

Edited by CB Fry

He did say FA Cup semi finals, he just repeated it on Sky Sports news 

L

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

No I think the FA Cup semi and finals are being talked about as initial test events.

The Euros i think they hope are closer to more full events, rather than tests - 40k at Wembley, something like that. 

Not sure they'd let many people from actual Leicester and Southampton to go though.

You are right , he just repeated it on Sky Sports news  A few might get lucky 

15 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Looks like it will be up to the local authority as to wether fans can travel to the area or not.

If they don't let people come from Southampton or Leicester then locals will make a killing on eBay flogging the tickets.

15 years ago maybe.

I don't think that's even possible now, certainly not in any sort of volume that would make it worthwhile.

31 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Looks like it will be up to the local authority as to wether fans can travel to the area or not.

If they don't let people come from Southampton or Leicester then locals will make a killing on eBay flogging the tickets.

I don't think flogging tickets will be easy if all tickets are now digitally produced/shown on your mobile phone?

I'm not sure I'd ever buy a screenshot of a ticket from someone at the ground or even online!

50 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I would imagine the nature of it being a test event in the middle of a pandemic means they will be tracing every single person that goes.

Its not going to be some free for all of whoever can get hold of a ticket can get in.

55 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I suspect the tickets will go the FA and ‘the football family’. 

I’d be amazed if they have actual Fans in for a test event. 

39 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I don't think flogging tickets will be easy if all tickets are now digitally produced/shown on your mobile phone?

I'm not sure I'd ever buy a screenshot of a ticket from someone at the ground or even online!

Yup.

It's also the sheer difficulty and the way the buying tickets process is set up these days, certainly for the last decade at least.

The only touts you get now are the chancers selling to mugs who haven't quite caught on to the fact that the tickets are definitely going to be fake and won't get past any turnstile championship level and above.

Trying to get tickets as a paid up ST holder is a mission in itself and trying to get tickets for other people means I've got to create accounts on the saints website for each of them THEN add those accounts to my own account and that's assuming the members I added meet purchase history criteria.

It's nigh on fucking impossible now.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Suspect they'll try and do some sort of thank you gesture for NHS frontline workers in the area.

Bet the nurses in North London won't be so upset about not getting a pay rise if they're luck enough to get their hands on tickets for Southampton v Leicester.

• Sad 1

Interesting to see what they define as local area - I assuming it will be local residents to Wembley so the HA postcode.

Both us & Leicester have decent sized London supporters clubs so it would be nice if we could get a small allocation at least. Probably being a bit hopeful there... 

London Saints seem to have a good relationship with the club so I am hoping someone high up at Saints is trying to negotiate some tickets for us!

I genuinely would rather it was behind closed doors than invite disinterested residents of Brent council. What the fuck will they learn from that, complete nonsense. Let in people who actually care about the game, 4000 in an 90000 stadium there's no risk at all. 

Seems no end to this nonsense. 

Complete and utter waste of time. 20,000 could probably social distance in there no problem. What will they actually learn from a load of uninterested, bored local residents walking to the game and sitting 3 miles from anyone else? 

• Like 1

I rather agree. What are they going to test: crowd control? Local covid outbreaks? The impact of a crowd sitting silently watching? Only allow vaccinated pensioners? I'd go for that..:-)

How about having one semi with, say 10,000 and the other with 30,000 and see if there are any impacts on infection rates etc. etc. Either way I'd like to see the remit of the test and what they are looking at.

The FA's incompetence combined with the government's is probably peak stupidity when it comes to things like this. 

I've tolerated disruption to work, kids school being closed, no holidays, no pubs, not seeing family and friends for months, but if we somehow make it to the cup final and  are not allowed to go instead watching Carol and Abdul from Brent council accounts department in our seats instead i think that will be the last straw for me, Boris, Whitty, Hancock, all the twats at SAGE will be getting strongly worded letters on a daily basis from me. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NorthLondonSFC said:

Interesting to see what they define as local area - I assuming it will be local residents to Wembley so the HA postcode.

Both us & Leicester have decent sized London supporters clubs so it would be nice if we could get a small allocation at least. Probably being a bit hopeful there... 

London Saints seem to have a good relationship with the club so I am hoping someone high up at Saints is trying to negotiate some tickets for us!

IMG_20210401_142536.jpg

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

As other's have said, what are they testing? The world is peak stupidity at the moment. This somewhat doesn't surprise me and I think that's probably the worst part of it. I fully expect these decisions now.

The public’s response probably. We should all be grateful at this tremendous step forward in the return to our freedoms. 

I can only assume from that last sentence that they will be testing all the crowd to see the impact of the event. I still think varying the conditions in one of the semi-finals would make a decent comparison and entry could be on the basis of having a formal follow-up test. I'd accept that for the chance to go.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

As other's have said, what are they testing? The world is peak stupidity at the moment. This somewhat doesn't surprise me and I think that's probably the worst part of it. I fully expect these decisions now.

I fear that we are not yet at peak stupidity. But this test is certainly yet another step in the direction of the peak

13 minutes ago, waylander said:

These people will in no way behave like a football crowd.

Course they won’t. It’ll be a load of Nurses and teachers, they’ll all do exactly as they’re told, politely applaud the goals. 4,000 people, not even fans, in a 90000 capacity stadium is about as pointless as it can get. There were more than that By ratio at st Mary’s before the January lockdown.

Edited by Turkish

16 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Sholing had 300 in for an FA Cup game in their tiny stadium yet they can't get more than 4000 into Wembley. 

It's an absolute joke. Just let 20000 go, it will be perfectly fine.

It’s not the space in the stadium that’s the issue. It’s the entry, exit and local infrastructure (trains etc.) being able to run whilst maintaining social distancing. 

25 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Course they won’t. It’ll be a load of Nurses and teachers, they’ll all do exactly as they’re told, politely applaud the goals. 4,000 people, not even fans, in a 90000 capacity stadium is about as pointless as it can get. There were more than that By ratio at st Mary’s before the January lockdown.

I was sort of hoping the nurses would invade the pitch with banners saying they've had their pay cut by 16% in real terms over the last ten years .

While the teachers say protesting is just too risky for loverly professionals like them so can some min wage chaps, or parents do it at home,  for them instead.

39 minutes ago, Turkish said:

There will be more milling around in all the beauty spots this weekend, I'm sure.

3 hours ago, JRM said:

The FA's incompetence combined with the government's is probably peak stupidity when it comes to things like this. 

I've tolerated disruption to work, kids school being closed, no holidays, no pubs, not seeing family and friends for months, but if we somehow make it to the cup final and  are not allowed to go instead watching Carol and Abdul from Brent council accounts department in our seats instead i think that will be the last straw for me, Boris, Whitty, Hancock, all the twats at SAGE will be getting strongly worded letters on a daily basis from me. 

I’m not sure if they realise just how thin people’s patience is wearing but I think the government are in for a bit of a surprise by just how much anger there will be if social distancing isn’t in the bin after June 21st. 

These pathetic “test” events make it pretty obvious to me that it won’t be happening too.