Southampton 0-1 Leicester - Match Thread

Matthew Le God

I’m worried about tuning in to see Ralph has decided he was so impressed by wba performance that he’s stuck with the same xi.

personally I still prefer macca over forster though I think it’s unlikely he’ll switch again.

fullbacks no option.

centre backs. Bednarek needs a breather, not sure Ralph will oblige. Salisu’s recovery speed feels like a better option when you’ve threat speed of vardy/ineacho 

centre mid. Given how diabolically bad they were I’d argue for surprising everyone and starting jankewitz. Expect to be praying the early diallo returns not the recent absent version.

Wings: djenepo has to start, not least because he surprisingly this season has developed a real disciplined defensive streak at times but he also was bright when he came on against wba. Armstrong also has to start because he’s our best player.

strikers: Burnley ings is still our match winner, so let’s just hope calamity pass back ings doesn’t turn up. Alongside him, I’d prefer Adams physicality despite redmond’s Recent uptick in form

• Like 1

Sunday evenings is such a shit time of the week. Going to be either compounded or uplifted and we will be watching Heartbeat and Last of the Summer wine with a spring in our step

Edited by whelk

So we had the perceived reason for the appalling performance on Monday due to players having one eye on the semi final. What happens if we, by some miracle win on Sunday? Will that same excuse be dragged out for the rest of the season after more abject losses, that the players will all have one eye on the final? Or will it work the other way, motivated players playing for a cup final place?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, manji said:

I’m worried about losing the final heavily.

Yes but Chelsea have not beaten us this season with 2 different managers. Also don't forget we don't have to win, just draw and be good at penalties . So I can't see any need to worry at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tom & Gerry said:

Yes but Chelsea have not beaten us this season with 2 different managers. Also don't forget we don't have to win, just draw and be good at penalties . So I can't see any need to worry at all.

We aren’t good at penalties 

Just now, Turkish said:

We aren’t good at penalties 

We don't have many penalty shoot outs. Obviously I haven't compared the number we've had per season to other teams but I really can't remember many at all. 

Saying that I have no doubt if there is one on Sunday we'd be awful.

3 minutes ago, The Cat said:

We don't have many penalty shoot outs. Obviously I haven't compared the number we've had per season to other teams but I really can't remember many at all. 

Saying that I have no doubt if there is one on Sunday we'd be awful.

I’m sure we’ve missed almost as many as we’ve scored. What’s Ward Prowse and Ings record? I can remember them both missing a few recently, ward prowse on Monday and Everton away last season, Ings at Bournemouth. Outside of that not anyone I’d fancy to take one, Bertrand maybe, vestergaard and Armstrong probably. Doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence. We do gallant failure well though so a plucky performance to lose on pens can at least have us blaming that 

Edited by Turkish

Just now, Turkish said:

I’m sure we’ve missed almost as many as we’ve scored. What’s Ward Prowse and Ings record? I can remember them both missing a few recently, ward prowse on Monday and Everton away last season, Ings at Bournemouth. Outside of that not anyone I’d fancy to take one, Bertrand maybe, vestergaard and Armstrong probably. Doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence 

We'd miss the target with at least one and Schmeichel would save another. Our keeper will flop about while they roll them past him. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Cat said:

We'd miss the target with at least one and Schmeichel would save another. Our keeper will flop about while they roll them past him. 

Forster won’t save any so it’ll be hoping they miss the target with probably 3 out of 5

37 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

I’ve noticed our keepers keep diving away from where the taker puts it.

Wouldn't the % be better to stand there as the last two have scored down the centre?

PS - Anyone know if we are guaranteed a European place if we win Sunday?

No not anymore have to win the trophy to qualify for Europe 

3 hours ago, Pilchards said:

I’ve noticed our keepers keep diving away from where the taker puts it.

Wouldn't the % be better to stand there as the last two have scored down the centre?

It’s not that easy against most modern players. If you watch a lot of Pens when the keeper goes the right way they go in the corner, but when he doesn’t they look saveable had he done so.  I heard Matt Le Tiss discuss technique once. He said that he picked a spot when running up but watched the keeper not the ball ( the ball doesn’t move was his line). If the keeper didn’t move he’d go hard to the corner he picked with accuracy and the keeper would never get there from a standing start. If he saw the keeper start to move towards that corner, he’d turn his foot in the last second and put it the other way. This skill meant it was harder to be so accurate and his concentration was just in getting a clean connection . Maybe Lurch telegraphs his movement too early and our opponents do a Matt on him, Matt was probably the first to do this, but loads of players do it now. They wait and wait for the keepers movement.  There is the possibility that he stands down the middle and the opposition did what the Germans did to Shilts  in ‘90. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

I think if they stayed in the middles they have more chance of saving more than they let in. 

Yeah to me, our keepers clearly aren’t good at it so they should stay still and make the penalty taker hit a corner rather than letting them roll it down 5he middle every time.

It's difficult for keepers. You see some stand in the middle occasionally but they end up looking a bit silly if the taker knocks it in the corner. 

Preparation helps and knowing where previous penalties have gone from certain players, otherwise it's a case of committing to a dive but not moving too early.

In a shoot out you'll be facing people who aren't that good at penalties and probably don't have the skill to watch the keepers trigger movement. These are the ones who will probably leather it or pick a corner giving the keeper a bit more of a chance. 

• Like 2

Please saints, at the very least do not concede another hatful of goals especially in a FA cup semi final. Us fans have suffered enough piss takes after the 18 goals in two games fiascos. I can deal with say a 3-1 loss but anything worse than that is totally unacceptable and you will all deserve to do the walk of shame through the streets of Portsmouth.

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

It's difficult for keepers. You see some stand in the middle occasionally but they end up looking a bit silly if the taker knocks it in the corner. 

Preparation helps and knowing where previous penalties have gone from certain players, otherwise it's a case of committing to a dive but not moving too early.

In a shoot out you'll be facing people who aren't that good at penalties and probably don't have the skill to watch the keepers trigger movement. These are the ones who will probably leather it or pick a corner giving the keeper a bit more of a chance. 

Using Transfermarkt for stats and based on Premier games only, the save% of the two respective keepers are:

• Kasper - saved 5, not saved 25 = save% = 19%
  • Frazer - saved 15, not saved 25 = save% = 38% 

So in a 5 penalty shootout, Kasper would save 1. Frazer would save 2. 

This means that all Saints have to do tomorrow , is get 11 players behind the ball and grind out a dull, dour goal less draw.  Alternatively we could use our tried and trusted approach and go 3-0 up with 15 minutes to go, and then quickly concede three in 90 mins before hanging on desperately in extra time. 

Transfermarkt says that these are "saved" penalties, not "missed", so I guess Kasper could only save 1 (but our other 4 end up in the upper tiers of Wembley). 

Of course, if our performance is close to the WBA one, all the stats above will be totally irrelevant. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

Using Transfermarkt for stats and based on Premier games only, the save% of the two respective keepers are:

This means that all Saints have to do tomorrow , is get 11 players behind the ball and grind out a dull, dour goal less draw.  Alternatively we could use our tried and trusted approach and go 3-0 up with 15 minutes to go, and then quickly concede three in 90 mins before hanging on desperately in extra time. 

Transfermarkt says that these are "saved" penalties, not "missed", so I guess Kasper could only save 1 (but our other 4 end up in the upper tiers of Wembley). 

Of course, if our performance is close to the WBA one, all the stats above will be totally irrelevant. 

Feels counter intuitive that Kasper is not as good as Lurckio at saving penalties. Can't see it myself.

Anyway we're going to smash it in normal time so no bother.

58 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Our players do tend to motivate themselves for the big occasions, just got to hope they're competitive. If we lose I can accept that, but not like on Monday. If we turn up we can win.

What big occasions are you referring to? 

It will all come down to who wants it more & sadly we don't seem to want to win any games at the moment! (Burnley aside which needed a 2-0 wake-up call to get us going even) we are either appalling in the first half or we expend all our energy for 20 minutes and then nothing

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WALK DMC said:

Forster has saved 15 penalties in the Premier League? No way is that true. 

I just checked and he's saved 4 out of 14 for Saints.

27 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

You might be pleased if it's anything like  City and Chelsea so far. 

City look knackered. KDB off with an ankle issue. Chelsea dont look amazing either. 

Maybe the players from all clubs are genuinely f**ked from the almost non-stop football of the last 18 months.

Hope Leicester's poor form is also down to them being f**ked. I wont give two hoots if our lot turn up for this one. Maybe they know something we dont re fatigue/recovery levels.

Edited by jasonb

10 minutes ago, TWar said:

Chelsea in the final. That's got to increase our chances of winning it, from like 5% to 10% maybe.

Two very good sides that nullified eachother today but against us they would be an altogether different prospect, as I suspect Leicester will be as well. 

5 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

Two very good sides that nullified eachother today but against us they would be an altogether different prospect, as I suspect Leicester will be as well. 

I think Chelsea put out basically their best side, minus Mendy, whereas City rotated heavily with Jesus, Torres, Mendy, Fernandinho, Steffen and arguably Sterling starting who aren't in their strongest 11. Good that they've been knocked out as they probably would have played with a stronger team in the final.

23 minutes ago, Saint_Tony said:

written in the stars. In all seriousness, would be huge for Ralph if he did win it for us. Most likely we will be calling for his head at this time tomorrow when we are 2-0 down

Some will for sure.

Let's hope the underdogs win tomorrow as well 

Edited by Chapel End

1 hour ago, hackedoff said:

If we win the cup I will personally present Kat and Gao with a bunch of flowers,naked in the centre circle prior to kick off in the first game of the 2021/2022 season. 

I will definitely be on holiday when/if this happens😳

I have to admit to being pretty laissez faire about the game tomorrow - Chelsea in the final that is a bigger carrot, we can do them - on our day we can do anyone, just got to hope tomorrow is on our day for this month. My daughter, partner and my brand spanking new Grandson have blagged dinner round ours tomorrow evening - so I have to get my Masterchef hat on and get dinner on the pass in good time to settle down and hope!

come on Saints 😇😇😇

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hackedoff said:

If we win the cup I will personally present Kat and Gao with a bunch of flowers,naked in the centre circle prior to kick off in the first game of the 2021/2022 season. 

Does anyone know hackedoff's real identity?

Just in case...

12 minutes ago, VictiAbNonem said:

If you take off the bookies' over-round the odds work out at about Leicester 50% Draw 30% Saints 20%

So I reckon about 30% chance for us to make the final (best odds for that are 23/12 with Smarkets)

Does that seem about right, or should we be longer?

During our bad run we’ve still taken four points off of Liverpool and Chelsea. Our injury list is easing a bit and Leicester’s form has dropped off a bit.

On top of that we haven’t conceded in the cup yet, including knocking out the holders, and we’ve looked far more confident in the cup games.

We don’t go in as favourites, but those odds don’t look wildly wrong.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 0-1 Leicester - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic