Southampton 0-1 Leicester - Match Thread

Matthew Le God

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

FA Cup Final day - Manchester City vs Southampton. The build up, the coverage, the excitement. Drink it in. ABIDE WITH ME with tears rolling down your cheek. The knowledge we are safe for another season and can give the game everything we have got. The lack of caring that City get 80% of the analysis to our 20%. The lack of caring that we are about to come up against De Bruyne and co. The day is all about the build up sod the result. We can dream, can't we? We've not so long ago beaten City with a similar team. It is 11 vs 11 and it is DOABLE! Just DREAM! And what if? WHAT IF we actually do it and beat City? Can you imagine that feeling? Those of you old enough know the feeling. I was there for the JPT. This would feel infinitely better than that. History.

THAT IS WHAT IS AT STAKE! (Unless Chelsea get through but the principal is the same...)

Only Leicester City stand in our way. We can do it people. Just believe! One game, it's just one game. Put your thoughts about our crappy team to one side and focus on the positivity. Taste the final...

And hell if you don't believe, you can always stick a huge insurance bet on! 😁

No it isn't

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Che has to play, and I’d give Dnjenpo a run. I don’t particularly rate him, but he does offer something different and occasionally baffles defenders. Unless they have an off day it’s going to be very very tough. The way our centre halves are playing I don’t hold out much hope, but stranger things have happened. 

• Like 1

No Saints fans attending may be a blessing looking at the negativity on here. 

It's a one off game so anything could happen, that's why the cup is so good, or was before everyone gave up on it and just want survival/top 4 instead.

Personally I think we will win this but we might get hammered...so just like every game in the last 40 years then!

• Like 3

Need a big improvement from last night (obviously) Personally think that Walcott Bednarek and Redmond played themselves out of contention last night. Don't think the CM partnership of Diallo & JWP really seems to work, but there are no alternatives

Forster; KWP Vestergaard Salisu Bertrand; Diallo JWP; Armstrong Djenepo; Ings Adams.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Need a big improvement from last night (obviously) Personally think that Walcott Bednarek and Redmond played themselves out of contention last night. Don't think the CM partnership of Diallo & JWP really seems to work, but there are no alternatives

Forster; KWP Vestergaard Salisu Bertrand; Diallo JWP; Armstrong Djenepo; Ings Adams.

People have been saying that about Bednarek for weeks but he always gets a game. He may bring Adams in and I think he should but wouldn’t be surprised to see an unchanged team

5 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Forster; KWP Vestergaard Salisu Bertrand; Jankewitz JWP; Armstrong Minamino; Ings Adams.

But remind Ralph you can make substitutions before 80 mins. If it ain't working, change it. Don't just pace up and down with a face like thunder.

And proper coaching this week!

I wish that was the team.

Just can’t see any player putting in a double shift this week as they will be worried about Sunday.

8 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Think i'd drop Diallo, bring Stuart into CM with JWP, and play redmond / walcott on the wings with Che and Danny up front. We're too lightweight with Diallo in CM and Redmond up front. Che brings us physicality and Stuart is far superior to Diallo. Without Che up front we will lose imo as we have zero physical threat and hold up play.

Arguments could be made for picking Djenpo over walcott, but either way, our 4 wide men of Redmond/Theo/Djenpo/Tella should all expect a run out imo.

Bednarek has been struggling of late, but I am not sure Salisu is ready yet. Would be a big call to chance the CB pairing for a semi final.

Would give Macca a recall.

Injuries are such that any other changes are probably unreasonable.

I'd agree with this except we should keep Forster in goal.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SNSUN said:

And hell if you don't believe, you can always stick a huge insurance bet on! 

Main problem with that is the odds are so tight. You can get 1.95 on Leicester which is decent but that's over 90 minutes. Stick a load on that and you know it will be a draw and we'd go on to lose in extra time.

Leicester to qualify is 1.50. Not worth a big bet at those odds.

Best way to do it is hope we go 1 up, then bet on Leicester to qualify. Odds will be better and more chance of us clinging on for a famous win.

2 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

Forster; KWP Vestergaard Salisu Bertrand; Jankewitz JWP; Armstrong Minamino; Ings Adams.

But remind Ralph you can make substitutions before 80 mins. If it ain't working, change it. Don't just pace up and down with a face like thunder.

And proper coaching this week!

Minamino is cup tied. Try again.

34 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We'll line up as per and get ripped apart.  It will only be their wastefulness in front of goal that will ensure we are in the game for periods.

After the game, there will be the usual excuses for the manager.

Jesus fucking christ.

That's the spirit.

• Like 1

I really wouldn't make predictions for the semi final based on that dross last night. Players will definitely step up a notch, but will it be enough.

Let's hope they have it in them. Leicester aren't unbeatable, and Saints aren't some weak 2nd div team. If this game was being played in October Saints would be equal odds at least. Same players just need the same spirit.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, redder freak said:

Play 3 at the back? Seems to work for some teams but apparently not Saints. We need to block off those direct balls down the middle somehow.

Because our manager knows 1 way and 1 way only to set us up.

Looking at what we’ve got, a back 3 probably wouldn’t be a bad choice. No way he’ll change it though. 

Edited by SKD
  • Like 1

Had a look on the Foxes forum to see what they are saying about us.

Many say we couldn’t be any worse than we were against WBA. (True)

They have a history with the official in charge like we have with Dean. He sent off Maddison for diving plus has given so many decisions against them.

Finally Vardy is in the worse form of his life and many want him dropped.

Wondering what Bednarek has to do to be dropped. A cup semi final isn't the ideal game to be changing CB partnership but really can Salisu be any worse than Jan has been for the last few months?

Other than that would like to see Che back in the team. Not too many options elsewhere so just hope for the best, but expectations are on the floor.

Feels similar to the build up to the SF three years ago, a feeling of dread rather than excitement.

42 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Feels similar to the build up to the SF three years ago, a feeling of dread rather than excitement.

Yea - and isn't that a shame? We should be buzzing for this. The difference this time is that THIS squad of players has performed brilliantly in the not-so-distant past, so we all know they can do it - let's just hope they are up for it on Sunday :) 

Edited by Saint_Jonny

They completely destroyed my belief that we could win this with that shit show Monday night.

All i can see now is Redmond moaning at everyone, the centre backs looking at each other as if to say "you should have picked him up" and that little turd Vardy scoring at least twice.....    

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Wondering what Bednarek has to do to be dropped. A cup semi final isn't the ideal game to be changing CB partnership but really can Salisu be any worse than Jan has been for the last few months?

Other than that would like to see Che back in the team. Not too many options elsewhere so just hope for the best, but expectations are on the floor.

I would even have Stephens in ahead of Bednarek at the moment. He actually had a decent run of form towards the end of last season.

Wild card option and 1 Ralph wouldn’t entertain as it’s not his 4222 formation, but I’d mix it up and go 433 try and gain a bit of control in the middle of the park. We’re getting over ran in there at the minute and I think their 3 will Be too good for us in there. 

Forster 

KWP

Vestergaard 

Salisu 

Bertrand 

Armstrong

Diallo

JWP

Redmond

Ings 

Djenepo

Edited by SKD
  • Like 2

My heart says Saints, obviously but my head is not in agreement. If Brendan Rogers watched us against West Brom he is probably getting measured for his Cup Final suit. Still, it is the Cup, so who knows. I would be ecstatic with a win especially to wipe that smile of Vardy's smug face. COYS!!!

Can't see anything other than a heavy defeat, Leicester are a better side than west brom & they managed to do their homework easily.  That said Saints do have a habit of surprising us when we least expect it! So never say never a lucky 3-2 comes to mind.  If it is a heavy defeat again I think it will be too much for Ralph and I can see the goodwill ending and disharmony from the fans 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pilchards said:

I wish that was the team.

Just can’t see any player putting in a double shift this week as they will be worried about Sunday.

This is my first and probably last entry. Getting so fed up with reading and seeing how the team are despondent or On the beach. That loss to WBA last Monday did it for me. If the team are not bothered, why should I be ??. Fed up with their perform and as making me miserable now.

4 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I think we all know how that one ends.

He stamps on Ings' achilies, ruins all our dreams for the season, then Ings leaves? 😱

Edit - this scenario might actually result in Ings still being a saint next season 😅

Edited by Saint86

5 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I would even have Stephens in ahead of Bednarek at the moment. He actually had a decent run of form towards the end of last season.

Yep, he can’t do any worse than Bednarek at the moment. 

In any normal time I would be getting well and truly up for a semi final,as I have in years gone by whatever the competition......however,on this occasion I’m dreading it. 
I just can’t see past a another embarrassing loss. 
I’ve  seen nothing,including the victories over Sheffield United and Burnley to convince me otherwise. In fact nothing positive for months. 
we are simply diabolical in pretty much all areas....on and off the pitch,players and coaching staff to the owner. 
just want this season over. 
oh how I’d love to be proved wrong. 

Edited by saint lard

7 minutes ago, saint lard said:

In any normal time I would be getting well and truly up for a semi final,as I have in years gone by whatever the competition......however,on this occasion I’m dreading it. 
I just can’t see past a another embarrassing loss. 
I’ve  seen nothing,including the victories over Sheffield United and Barnsley to convince me otherwise. In fact nothing positive for months. 
we are simply diabolical in pretty much all areas....on and off the pitch,players and coaching staff to the owner. 
just want this season over. 
oh how I’d love to be proved wrong. 

Cracking win over Barnsley at least

• Like 1

Full faith in the team! I'd play:

Forster
KWP Vestergaard Salisu Bertrand
Diallo JWP
Armstrong Djenepo
Adams Ings

I like Redmond but I think Adams hold up ability and ability against the ball is better and will be more important. Diallo, despite what was said, was not that bad at West Brom, he was one of our few reliable passers and lead the game for ball recovery. Theo is dropped, he was shite and has been since coming back, passenger against the ball and so so sloppy in possession, bring in Djenepo who busts a lung every game to be all over the pitch. Finally Bednarek needs dropping, to blame for half the goals we concede it seems, Salisu needs a chance. Vestergaard and Bednarek is far too slow a pairing to be up against Vardy, Iheanacho, Perez ect. so I want a CB who has good fitness and sprinting speed and that is Salisu, Bednarek can be back in when we need to be stronger in the air.

Edited by TWar

53 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Never to beating Leicester or never in General? 😂

Churchill "We shall never surrender". Well, he didn't see Saints play West Brom last week did he. 

Imo, I can never see saints upping their game enough to beat Leicester on Sunday. 

2 hours ago, TWar said:

Full faith in the team! I'd play:

Forster
KWP Vestergaard Salisu Bertrand
Diallo JWP
Armstrong Djenepo
Adams Ings

I like Redmond but I think Adams hold up ability and ability against the ball is better and will be more important. Diallo, despite what was said, was not that bad at West Brom, he was one of our few reliable passers and lead the game for ball recovery. Theo is dropped, he was shite and has been since coming back, passenger against the ball and so so sloppy in possession, bring in Djenepo who busts a lung every game to be all over the pitch. Finally Bednarek needs dropping, to blame for half the goals we concede it seems, Salisu needs a chance. Vestergaard and Bednarek is far too slow a pairing to be up against Vardy, Iheanacho, Perez ect. so I want a CB who has good fitness and sprinting speed and that is Salisu, Bednarek can be back in when we need to be stronger in the air.

Your first 3 words dissuaded me from reading any further. Mate, with the greatest of respec,t you must be blind.

Midweek and I'm still bereft of enthusiasm for the semi final. It usually takes a day, maybe two before the blind faith returns after a woeful performance. Actually the older I get the faster it returns. 

By the start of the weekend I'll be up and about over the match on Sunday night. We only need the foxes to be toothless infront of goal for 90 minutes and someone to scuff one in at the other end to book our place in the final. 

As thing's stand, highly, highly unlikey... but not impossible.

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Your first 3 words dissuaded me from reading any further. Mate, with the greatest of respec,t you must be blind.

We are definitely the underdogs but no harm in being positive. I remember the semis in the league Cup vs Liverpool where we had a similar task and we came through that. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TWar said:

We are definitely the underdogs but no harm in being positive. I remember the semis in the league Cup vs Liverpool where we had a similar task and we came through that. 

We were a better team back then though. Not great to watch, but could defend well and frustrate teams. At the moment, I struggle to tell you what we do well, other than be very poor. 

43 minutes ago, TWar said:

We were set up properly and our back 4 were drilled to perform week in week out. It wasn’t smash and grab either, we totally outplayed them first leg, they were lucky it was only 1. Nothing would please me more than a similar performance Sunday, but a absolutely nothing I’ve seen the past few weeks indicates we will. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Bednarek has been making mistakes far worse than Jack ever did. Don't get me wrong I like Bednarek, but he has lost it since Manure, and Stephens is a more than adequate replacement for the current JB. 

I think Jan is getting a rough time. He’s constantly exposed because KWP is marauding and our midfield are high. WBA tore us apart because they exposed the gap he leaves. If I can see it then it won’t be hard for an actual football manager to work out.

I don’t think dropping him for stephens is the answer but I also don’t know what is 

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 0-1 Leicester - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic