Southampton 0-1 Leicester - Match Thread

Matthew Le God

5 hours ago, hackedoff said:

If we win the cup I will personally present Kat and Gao with a bunch of flowers,naked in the centre circle prior to kick off in the first game of the 2021/2022 season. 

Is that one bunch of flowers each, or between them? If it's between them, Gao will take 80% of the bunch and Kat 20%.

Anyway, I'm not sure Gao would remember where St Mary's is, let alone the centre circle. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, WALK DMC said:

This means that all Saints have to do tomorrow , is get 11 players behind the ball and grind out a dull, dour goal less draw.  Alternatively we could use our tried and trusted approach and go 3-0 up with 15 minutes to go, and then quickly concede three in 90 mins before hanging on desperately in extra time.

Not sure we are capable of grinding out a 0-0. Seems a while since did that. Your alternative sounds very feasible. 

Can't wait for the game now. It's been a fucking horrible period of watching Saints, but I'm going to try to forget what we have done recently and go into the game with nothing but optimism. We can win this game. Leicester are a very good side, and we are not, but upsets do happen.

• Like 2

On 16/04/2021 at 19:49, Lee On Solent Saint said:

So we had the perceived reason for the appalling performance on Monday due to players having one eye on the semi final. What happens if we, by some miracle win on Sunday? Will that same excuse be dragged out for the rest of the season after more abject losses, that the players will all have one eye on the final? Or will it work the other way, motivated players playing for a cup final place?

I think the one eye on the cup thing is load of bollocks. Win today and it lifts the players a bit and beating Leicester will give them some much needed confidence too.

18 hours ago, The Cat said:

Forster has saved 15 penalties in the Premier League? No way is that true. 

I just checked and he's saved 4 out of 14 for Saints.

The Internet is a very powerful tool, except in the hands of an idiot. My apologies, you are right. The "accurate" save% are: 

Forster 

Prem=33% ,   All comps = 38% 

Kasper 

Prem= 19%,  All comps = 25% 

The main conclusions remain the same, Forster has a significantly better save percentage. So if it goes to penalties, put your feet up,  and RELAX. It is in the bag 😄

17 minutes ago, Saint_Tony said:

nerves building already, it might not mean much to fans of some of the other clubs, but for me this is our most important game since Swansea away

Nervous too, but we are 7/2 for the win and I'm not really expecting it. Leicester are a quality team so is starting to feel like a bit of a shot to nothing. If we win massive celebration, if we lose we did well to get here. The Swansea game was a must win where I'd be gutted if we didn't, this is one where I'd be ecstatic to win it but I'm not expecting it and if we don't there is always next season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I think the one eye on the cup thing is load of bollocks. Win today and it lifts the players a bit and beating Leicester will give them some much needed confidence too.

Hopefully you're right but...since beating Shrewsbury in the cup we've gone on to pick up just 7 points in the league while conceding something like 35 goals including another nin.....oops, nearly said it.

But hopefully this time the stars are all aligned.

40 minutes ago, TWar said:

Nervous too, but we are 7/2 for the win and I'm not really expecting it. Leicester are a quality team so is starting to feel like a bit of a shot to nothing. If we win massive celebration, if we lose we did well to get here. The Swansea game was a must win where I'd be gutted if we didn't, this is one where I'd be ecstatic to win it but I'm not expecting it and if we don't there is always next season. 

I'm not expecting to win, Leicester are obviously better than us but I am expecting a decent effort rate & 100% commitment to trying to win, if RH can't get them up & fired today to pay the fans back for a disgusting performance against WBA then he needs to go simple as that as there have been way way too many no shows under his tenure! 

• Like 1

In all honesty, no matter how much one might wish and hope for a different outcome, Saints have little chance of over-coming Leicester this evening.

We are in a very poor run  of form and apart from the Burnley result that is beginning to look more freakish by the day there is little to suggest that we might cause a major upset. Our defence in particular has lost all cohesion with several players way out of form. Passion alone will not achieve the result we want. Unless Diallo & JWP somehow miraculously get their acts together individually and collectively our midfield will be over-run by a Leicester side that revels in long crosses to fast running strikers;  we know from bitter experience how well our centre backs cope with that kind of threat.

Despite players "being up for the Cup", I can't see it happening. 3-0 to Leicester.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

In all honesty, no matter how much one might wish and hope for a different outcome, Saints have little chance of over-coming Leicester this evening.

We are in a very poor run  of form and apart from the Burnley result that is beginning to look more freakish by the day there is little to suggest that we might cause a major upset. Our defence in particular has lost all cohesion with several players way out of form. Passion alone will not achieve the result we want. Unless Diallo & JWP somehow miraculously get their acts together individually and collectively our midfield will be over-run by a Leicester side that revels in long crosses to fast running strikers;  we know from bitter experience how well our centre backs cope with that kind of threat.

Despite players "being up for the Cup", I can't see it happening. 3-0 to Leicester.

I'm fairly sure people were saying similar before we faced Bournemouth tbh.

You have to be confident before a Semi-Final, what's the point otherwise? I'm looking forward to it. Clubs like Southampton get to semi finals a handful of times in our lives, so let's just enjoy it and actually look forward to it rather than sitting here fearing it in dread.

For what it's worth, I don't believe league form really counts. These are one off games and strange things can often happen in one off games. Wigan's league form didn't worry them during their cup run either.

Let's just enjoy the occasion, it's a shame we can't be there but it's a perfect day for it.

• Like 3

If it goes to form then Leicester will run out comfortable winners (3 or 4 -0) , how ever football has a habit of not always following forn so you never know.

Big game for Ralph and the team to show what they are made of, at the very minimuim i expect a honerable defeat at worse.  

Edited by IFHP

15 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'm fairly sure people were saying similar before we faced Bournemouth tbh.

You have to be confident before a Semi-Final, what's the point otherwise? I'm looking forward to it. Clubs like Southampton get to semi finals a handful of times in our lives, so let's just enjoy it and actually look forward to it rather than sitting here fearing it in dread.

For what it's worth, I don't believe league form really counts. These are one off games and strange things can often happen in one off games. Wigan's league form didn't worry them during their cup run either.

Let's just enjoy the occasion, it's a shame we can't be there but it's a perfect day for it.

Well said.  It’s a Cup Semi-Final , it’s a 50/50 game...anything is possible.

2 hours ago, Saint_Tony said:

nerves building already, it might not mean much to fans of some of the other clubs, but for me this is our most important game since Swansea away

Well, I've got a grass roots game at 2pm, then take the goal posts down, home, hot bath, then out ready for the line-ups and the nervous wait for the second kick off.  I'm not optimistic but certainly haven't written them off. It would be good to see a few London Saints in the crowd as my screams at the screen won't have much impact..

Up at 5am to get the first TGV from Angouleme to Paris and then the Eurostar . Had a lively discussion about the game with a United fan who was on his way back from St Etienne  in the queue  out of St Pancras. He still claimed Stokes was offside. More offside than Gabbiadini perhaps ?

Met up with the London Saints at Wealdstone, for a few pints before the game, Talking to  a couple of Saints fans at half time, who had missed the first goal buying beers. I only just got back up in time for Gabby's 2nd, so they missed than one too.  I did Joke to my mated that I should nip down and buy them another one to see if they could miss the winner too. Wish I had now !  

WOOPS Wrong Thread! Should be on the trip to Wembley thread. 

Fingers crossed for today, 2 mil flattered them earlier this season, so we can but hope.    

Edited by redkeith

I keep thinking we are due a bit of luck in a big cup game. 84, lucky bounce in the last minute of injury time, 86 Mark Wrights injury, 2018 although a crap performance Austin’s goal disallowed for a nothing Challenge, might have changed the game. Then of course there Is the 2017 final with the goal that never was and losing late. Of course Leicester are huge favorites, a better team, but so were Liverpool in 2017. We never get the roll of the dice when it gets to this stage of a tournament, maybe we’re due it.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I keep thinking we are due a bit of luck in a big cup game. 84, lucky bounce in the last minute of injury time, 86 Mark Wrights injury, 2018 although a crap performance Austin’s goal disallowed for a nothing Challenge, might have changed the game. Then of course there Is the 2017 final with the goal that never was and losing late. Of course Leicester are huge favorites, a better team, but so were Liverpool in 2017. We never get the roll of the dice when it gets to this stage of a tournament, maybe we’re due it.

Let’s hope so mate - was there for all of those shit luck ones!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I have no idea why I'm thinking this, and I'm wrong on numerous occasions, I just wonder if Jankewitz will start today. Ralph throwing a surprise.

Bit like Strachan starting Chris Baird in 2003...

He will either play Jankewitz (if he thinks he can trust him) or 3 at the back replacing Redmond or Walcott. 

• Like 1

I have to admit I am nervous as hell for this game, and it's only increasing as the day drags on!

On paper for sure Leicester have the better team, better form and they are 3rd on merit.

However, this is uncharted territory in the FA cup for Leicester too, almost as much as it is for us, and what would be the point if I didn't have any optimism!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom & Gerry said:

He will either play Jankewitz (if he thinks he can trust him) or 3 at the back replacing Redmond or Walcott. 

I think 3 at the back would be a good option.

Team I would start with:

---------------Fraser-------------

------Bed------Vest------Salisu----

KWP-----------JWP-------------Bertie

------Moussa--------Stuey----------

--------Adams-------Ings------------

Team I think Ralph will start with:

--------------Fraser------------------

KWP-----Bed------Vest-------Bertie

----------JWP-----Diallo-------------

----Stuey-----------------Redders---

----------Adams-------Ings---------

In any event, I am looking forward to the match with a positive attitude. Yes, we are the underdogs, but I've been used to that most of my life. Just hoping for a good performance and a victory.

COYS

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nta786 said:

I have to admit I am nervous as hell for this game, and it's only increasing as the day drags on!

On paper for sure Leicester have the better team, better form and they are 3rd on merit.

However, this is uncharted territory in the FA cup for Leicester too, almost as much as it is for us, and what would be the point if I didn't have any optimism!

Why is it uncharted for us? It is our 13th FA Cup semi final and many of our squad were involved reaching this stage as recently as 2018.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Team I would start with:

Team I think Ralph will start with:

--------------Fraser------------------

KWP-----Bed------Vest-------Bertie

----------JWP-----Diallo-------------

----Stuey-----------------Redders---

----------Adams-------Ings---------

In any event, I am looking forward to the match with a positive attitude. Yes, we are the underdogs, but I've been used to that most of my life. Just hoping for a good performance and a victory.

COYS

Our midfield would get absolutely murdered if he picked that first team you have

Edited by Turkish

2 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Team I would start with:

Djenepo in central midfield is a disaster waiting to happen.

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why is it uncharted for us? It is our 13th FA Cup semi final and many of our squad were involved reaching this stage as recently as 2018.

How many players started in 2018 that will start today? Probably just one or two (Bednarek,  Bertrand?) 

3 minutes ago, JRM said:

How many players started in 2018 that will start today? Probably just one or two (Bednarek,  Bertrand?) 

It isn't 'uncharted' when McCarthy, Bednarek, Romeu, Bertrand, Redmond, Ward-Prowse and Forster were all in the 2018 FA Cup semi final squad and were all at Staplewood this week in the build up to today's game.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I mean I'm not going to go into a full on debate here but:

image.png.f0a2f21d77691d66cc914eb5d52488a7.png

I've used it 'figuratively', and I don't think it is entirely wrong - FA Cup semi-finals are very much unfamiliar for us. Since 1961 including today, this is our 6th semi-final. My point is they don't come around for us often and I have acknowledged they are rarer for Leicester.

image.thumb.png.dfe6ce401cd8b75e959e907312bd70e4.png

Plus, you can see here how many more clubs have been 'involved' in semi-finals than us. 

Biggest game in years IMO -  Swansea away & the cup final against United are the only games that can be considered more important than this one since we’ve been promoted back to the Prem. 

Still haunted by the Chelsea Semi - how the fuck did we not even sell out?!? I think we all knew it was a lost cause that day. Today feels different despite our shit 2021 form. Ralph will have them pumped up for this. 

Also wondering if we will see Ralph in a suit for the first time?

1 minute ago, NorthLondonSFC said:

Also wondering if we will see Ralph in a suit for the first time?

From the Daily Echo: 

Asked if he plans to change his outfit for his first game at Wembley as a manager, Hasenhuttl told the Daily Echo: "To be honest, I had not much energy left so far to think about how I dress!

"Normally that’s the reason why I always dress in tracksuits because I don’t have to use energy of thinking about how I should dress.

"But it is possible that if we go to the final then I have more time to think about this and then maybe change it.

"But first, let us do the game on the weekend in a normal way."

16 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Djenepo in central midfield is a disaster waiting to happen.

He isn't suggesting Djenepo in CM. Think our current formation but dropping out one of our two CMs for an extra CB. Djenepo and Armstrong would still play as 10's but with a little more pressing most likely. I don't like the idea at all tbh as I think it leads to us having very little control in the middle, but it isn't Djenepo at CM.

15 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I mean I'm not going to go into a full on debate here but:

image.png.f0a2f21d77691d66cc914eb5d52488a7.png

I've used it 'figuratively', and I don't think it is entirely wrong - FA Cup semi-finals are very much unfamiliar for us. Since 1961 including today, this is our 6th semi-final. My point is they don't come around for us often and I have acknowledged they are rarer for Leicester.

image.thumb.png.dfe6ce401cd8b75e959e907312bd70e4.png

Plus, you can see here how many more clubs have been 'involved' in semi-finals than us. 

Ignore the cock. Everyone knows when he meant by uncharted territory. 4 FA Cup semi finals 35 years. Hardly regulars are we.

• Like 2

This is Saints's 6th semi final in my football time, and I am outraged that I cannot go. Totally understand why of course but still disappointed.

By now I'd be well into a lunchtime beer, and eyeing up a dodgy burger. So not fair, watching on TV  just isn't the same.

Still need to make the best of it. Should be a good game. If Saints turn up they can easily match Leicester. Equally it could be hide behind the sofa time.

FA cup semi finals are notoriously difficult to predict. I admire the optimism of those trying.

Please no penalties, I really couldn't cope.

• Like 1

Rumours for Leicester that Ayoze Perez will start for them and James Maddison will be on the bench. I think Maddison is easily the better player but Perez has 2 hat-tricks against us so may work in our favour.

Also that they will be playing a 3-4-1-2 (which I think they have done on many occasions anyway)

It should be a good tactical battle. 

Edited by nta786

16 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

There you go...

This game is going to come down to the managers and I'm leaning towards a Leicester win.

Rodgers has more than 1 game plan and he's a much better manager tactically than Ralph and that's where we're going to come up short.

I think it'll be 1-1 right up to about 60 minutes, then Rodgers will change it and Ralph won't have a clue how to react.

Narrow Leicester win 2-1.

• Sad 1

Just now, JustinSFC said:

This game is going to come down to the managers and I'm leaning towards a Leicester win.

Rodgers has more than 1 game plan and he's a much better manager tactically than Ralph and that's where we're going to come up short.

I think it'll be 1-1 right up to about 60 minutes, then Rodgers will change it and Ralph won't have a clue how to react.

Narrow Leicester win 2-1.

You may be correct,  but I do think Ralph has changed systems up, it just hasn't worked so well lately.

Cant wait for the game though, and think it will be 3-1, not sure who to though.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 0-1 Leicester - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic