Facts and Opinions about Facts and Opinion (Split)

badgerx16

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

He said 'valid opinion', you choose to cherry pick and ignore the 'valid' part. I outlined why it wasn't valid.

An opinion can be valid without you agreeing with it. In my opinion you push the pedantic act too far. This opinion is valid.

58 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Saying...

"Personally I think the deals been done, he's gone."

Is not merely a valid opinion, it is a claim. A claim that is jumping to conclusions.

Doesn't the word 'personally' actually mean the posters beliefs?? 

14 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

An opinion can be valid without you agreeing with it.

That one wasn't though, it was just an opinion based on very little fact or logic.  Saying JWP is already sold, and for a fee that low, is just pure speculation with nothing to support it and actual evidence to the contrary. 

MLG was of course right, but it seems the little gang can't handle that. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Doesn't the word 'personally' actually mean the posters beliefs?? 

The word personally is superfluous in this sentence... "Personally I think the deals been done, he's gone."

Saying he thinks the deal has been done is a claim he is making stated in a matter of fact manner. Claims aren't merely opinion.

Edited by Matthew Le God

4 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

That one wasn't though, it was just an opinion based on very little fact or logic.  Saying JWP is already sold, and for a fee that low, is just pure speculation with nothing to support it and actual evidence to the contrary. 

MLG was of course right, but it seems the little gang can't handle that. 

So not a claim then which is what MLG said it was. Thanks for proving me right. 

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

The word personally is superfluous in this sentence... "Personally I think the deals been done, he's gone."

Saying he thinks the deal has been done is a claim he is making. Claims aren't merely opinion.

Crikey, is it not obvious that it was an opinion of his, if he said 'the deal is done, period' then that is a claim. He has come up with an opinion.

Personally, I believe if we sell and can reinvest the funds we should do it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Verbal said:

The sight of posters trying, and abysmally failing, to out-pedant MLG is hilarious.

The sight of you still posting on here, despite promising your wife you never would again, is even more hilarious.

5 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Except you weren't, which is pretty common for you, I mean you ironically call him 'Mr Wrong', which shows quite a lack of self awareness. 

You said it was an opinion. I said it was an opinion. Yet you're saying i'm wrong. You haven't thought this through have you.

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

Edited by Turkish

33 minutes ago, maysie said:

Tedious as fuck 

Yep. Be nice if they could fuck off to their own echo chamber and shout into each others arseholes rather than every thread being taken over by the same point scoring shite. Turkish follows MLG around like a bad smell and it's boring.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

@Turkish has shown repeatedly over the years that his comprehension skills aren't great. Maybe English is not his first language, so perhaps we shouldn't be too harsh on him.

Says the person who tried to get out of making a huge balls up by claiming they made a typo on two out three words on a sentence. Dying Laughing GIF by memecandy

5 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

I'm presuming reading is an issue for you. 

When all else fails play this card, nice one. Strange that we agree with each other but you're still persisting down this route. Classic case of playing the poster. Guess its not just me that has an issue with reading.

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Says the person who tried to get out of making a huge balls up by claiming they made a typo on two out three words on a sentence. 

Despite what you appear to think... I've never claimed to be infallible. But in the case you mention, it was indeed a typo when using the forum on my phone. It really is puzzling why you think typos can't be made. Your comprehension of English however is the biggest puzzle if it is your first language. Time after time you highlight it is lacking and instead resort to petty playground insults and a Roger Hargreaves character.

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Saying...

"Personally I think the deals been done, he's gone."

Is not merely a valid opinion, it is a claim. A claim that is jumping to conclusions.

No,  it is my opinion. I don't know for sure obviously,  but it is my opinion that he will be gone.   I think he's been tapped up and now wants to leave.  That's my opinion as well, it may of course differ from yours (which I respect) but,  in my opinion JWP will leave for around 32 mil.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Micky said:

No,  it is my opinion. I don't know for sure obviously,  but it is my opinion that he will be gone.   I think he's been tapped up and now wants to leave.  That's my opinion as well, it may of course differ from yours (which I respect) but,  in my opinion JWP will leave for around 32 mil.

He doesn’t understand. Your wasting your time.

8 minutes ago, Micky said:

Why would Saints agree to a deal for their captain, who has four years left on his contract at £6m less than it cost Villa for a player like Buendia?

6 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

He doesn’t understand. Your wasting your time.

"the deals been done, he's gone"

Those are past tense and said in a matter of fact manner! So a claim it has happened already... not merely an opinion that it might happen in the future.

Edited by Matthew Le God

16 minutes ago, Saint_Jonny said:

Yep. Be nice if they could fuck off to their own echo chamber and shout into each others arseholes rather than every thread being taken over by the same point scoring shite. Turkish follows MLG around like a bad smell and it's boring.

Think this forum would be improved if we were all limited to 3 posts a day. It would be like a soap opera cliffhanger, eagerly waiting 24 hours to see how Turkish v MLG develops whilst spending the rest of the day reading other things infinitely more interesting

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

"the deals been done, he's gone"

Those are past tense! So a claim it has happened already... not merely an opinion that it might happen in the future.

Personally , as in his view and I think, as in his view . That is not a claim . You selectively missed that out:

Edited by Sarisbury Saint

3 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Personally , as in his view and I think, as in his view . That is not a claim .

If you say something like he did that it has 'been done" and someone is "gone" then that is not opinion it is a statement/claim as a matter of fact. He is saying it in the past tense that it has already happened, that makes it a claim and claims don't stand up without evidence.

Edited by Matthew Le God

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

if you say something has 'been done" and someone is "gone" then that is not opinion it is a statement/claim as a matter of fact.

It could be an incorrect statement about the past and therefore not a fact. Equally, it could be an opinion of something that happened in the past, which still not a matter of fact 🙃

53 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Can we still do searches on this site? It would be interesting to read threads on JWP a couple of seasons back. Im pretty sure he wasnt the darling of the site then. 

To be fair it would be interesting to read anything about JWP instead of MLG and Turkish arguing about the definition of opinion or whatever today's pedantry topic happens to be

• Like 1