Danny Wallace

Chris cooper

6 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Danny’s birthday today .. apart from that glorious over head kick at the dell vs Liverpool ..what is you’re best moment/goal/move.

I saw him make his debut (taking the place of the injured Kevin Keegan) aged only 16 years and 313 days on 29 November 1980 at Old Trafford, thus becoming the youngest player to be picked for Southampton 

• Like 1

Just now, John B said:

I saw him make his debut (taking the place of the injured Kevin Keegan) aged only 16 years and 313 days on 29 November 1980 at Old Trafford, thus becoming the youngest player to be picked for Southampton 

Then went onto play for them after us .. lightning quick and a great finisher.

When i was about 7 or 8 i was with my dad in Mike Chippy at the Castle in Midanbury on saturday evening. My dad said to me that Danny Wallace was behind me in the queue, i didn't believe him until the lady serving us said it was. He then signed his autograph on a piece of chip wrapper that i still have 30+ years on in a photo album with other autographs i got from back in the day. He lived near us in a 3 bed semi on Wakefield Road. I believe he was the first footballer i ever met

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 9

I was at Maine Road in August 1989 for what may have been his last away game for Saints, which we won 2-1, with Danny Wallace scoring both of our goals and then I was there again a month later when he made his league debut for Manchester United, with United losing 5-1. That kind of summed up how his career soared with us and then nosedived at United. 

[89/90] Manchester City v Southampton, Aug 23rd 1989 - YouTube

[89/90] Man City v Man Utd, Sep 23rd 1989 [Highlights] - YouTube

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

When i was about 7 or 8 i was with my dad in Mike Chippy at the Castle in Midanbury on saturday evening. My dad said to me that Danny Wallace was behind me in the queue, i didn't believe him until the lady serving us said it was. He then signed his autograph on a piece of chip wrapper that i still have 30+ years on in a photo album with other autographs i got from back in the day. He lived near us in a 3 bed semi on Wakefield Road. I believe he was the first footballer i ever met

The first Saints player I met was John Sydenham he had an A40 and I served him with some petrol on West End Road in Bitterne it was a Tesco's outlet when I was last in the area

Terry Paine used to live near Lances Hill off Glenfield Avenue in a 3 Bedroom House named Garrincha

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, John B said:

The first Saints player I met was John Sydenham he had an A40 and I served him with some petrol on West End Road in Bitterne it was a Tesco's outlet when I was last in the area

Terry Paine used to live near Lances Hill off Glenfield Avenue in a 3 Bedroom House named Garrincha

Apart from getting their autographs outside the Dell, the first well-known one I met was Mick Channon, when he knocked on my front door and asked if I wanted a free ticket for the next home game. (He was dating our next door neighbour's sister at the time, later to become his first wife). 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, John B said:

Gordon Watson used to live on Cutbush Lane. His house was nice, used to walk the dog down there,  but it was right next to Townhill Park which is/was a shit hole. It was hilarious seeing him driving his jag down Meggason Avenue. 

Just now, Toussaint said:

I reacell (I think correctly), that Danny, Rodney and Raymond   playing on the same team at the same time was the first time it had ever happened? (.....waits to be corrected)

You are correct! IIRC Rodney and Danny started and Ray came off the bench first time 3 brothers had ever played in the same team in the same match.

R.30ef296dc4d75afe15a7297692bd32ba?rik=A0i1soVxGXjEKQ&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

See the source image

My memory of Danny was against Liverpool (not the famous evening game). In the lower west stand near the box Danny gets the ball 2 Liverpool defenders, one might have been Hansen, closing down on him Danny knocks the ball through the narrowing gap between them both, then somehow he follows the ball through the gap that was no longer there - HOW!!??!! 

Shame Man U didn’t work out for him - seems his baffling injury issues there were the first sign of his MS but no one picked it up.

• Like 1

On 21/01/2022 at 08:20, Chris cooper said:

Danny’s birthday today .. apart from that glorious over head kick at the dell vs Liverpool ..what is you’re best moment/goal/move.

He scored both goals at the Dell v Man Utd in my first saints game-for that he will always be a hero of mine!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sibster said:

He scored both goals at the Dell v Man Utd in my first saints game-for that he will always be a hero of mine!

Opening day August 1987? Hot day, Andy Cook debut, Norman Whiteside got one of theirs IIRC, all 4 goals early in a 2-2 draw, players energy faded after the break for both sides.

Danny was certainly very quick, not quite as crazily rapid as Rod but I thought Danny had a bit more about him as an all round footballer. SBR should have taken him to WC 1986. Being on the scene earlier than Rod or Ray he took some awful flak when certain teams (eg West Ham or Millwall) visited and their worst fans were in the Archers pen. Never put Danny off his game though, one of my favourite ever Saints,  and of course THAT overhead kick as part of the Liverpool double in 1984. Hard for posters under 35 to appreciate how few live BBC games there were in those days. 

Went to his testimonial in 2004. Would easily have been good enough for the modern PL. Hope his MS is manageable as it can be.

Nice article from a couple of years or so ago https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2019-08-30/feature-interview-danny-wallace-pre-southampton-manchester-united-premier-league-201920

• Like 2

1 minute ago, saint1977 said:

Opening day August 1987? Hot day, Andy Cook debut, Norman Whiteside got one of theirs IIRC, all 4 goals early in a 2-2 draw, players energy faded after the break for both sides.

Danny was certainly very quick, not quite as crazily rapid as Rod but I thought Danny had a bit more about him as an all round footballer. SBR should have taken him to WC 1986. Being on the scene earlier than Rod or Ray he took some awful flak when certain teams (eg West Ham or Millwall) visited and their worst fans were in the Archers pen. Never put Danny off his game though, one of my favourite ever Saints,  and of course THAT overhead kick as part of the Liverpool double in 1984. Hard for posters under 35 to appreciate how few live BBC games there were in those days. 

Went to his testimonial in 2004. Would easily have been good enough for the modern PL. Hope his MS is manageable as it can be.

Nice article from a couple of years or so ago https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2019-08-30/feature-interview-danny-wallace-pre-southampton-manchester-united-premier-league-201920

That's the one-I was 12 at the time and blown away by the magic of the Dell! Norman Whiteside got both of their goals that day and I remember being excited to see then England captain Bryan Robson on the pitch and had to be told by my dad not to cheer him as he was playing for the opposition!!

• Like 2

As a young teenager in the 80s I loved seeing Danny Wallace and Steve Moran come through as youth players and tear up the league playing for a top side. My Danny highlight has to be his hat-trick against Coventry along with Moran's. 8 goals and our young forwards being unstoppable. My first memory of Danny was when I went with my father one weekday evening, around 1980/81, to the Saints youth training center in London. My dad was running an under 13 side and had taken a decent player player down there for trials. It was just a big sports hall with bunch of boys doing drills and playing 5 a side,but there was a small black kid on his own just kicking the ball against a light switch panel, hitting it every time.  Left foot right foot, I watched him doing that for about 10 minutes and was transfixed. Less than a year later and I saw him come on as a sub I think and me and my dad both recognized him. 

Danny Walllace, Steve Moran and Ivan Golac my heroes as a kid.

• Like 4

Meeting him and the rest of the team in the dressing room after training as a 14 year old back in 1988. They all signed my autograph book and took time to talk to me. It just would not happen now. But I will never forget that moment. Matty, Shearer, the Wallaces, Case, Moore, Ruddock…

I remember seeing Danny regularly getting let in by the bouncers at the Top Rank on a saturday night while us mere plebs had to queue up!, he was always happy to chat though, lovely bloke. He really had electric pace and I remember him completely destroying Luton away from home once, cheers for the great memories Danny!..😇

Edited by CAH61

6 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Yeah that was it .. 1983 thought it was later than that .. but that was the goal .. cracker 👍🏻

Interesting final table from that season, Look who finished 3rd bottom! :

http://www.emfootball.co.uk/table1982-83.html

The next season we finished runners up behind Liverpool by 3 points. Those were the days I had ST's for a few seasons, so priviledged to see Danny and the many other talented players we had then (Steve Williams in particular, what a player). If memory serves, Danny went to ManU a year before Giggs was coming through so didn't get much of chance there after that.

• Like 1

On 31/01/2022 at 20:05, kyle04 said:

The next season we finished runners up behind Liverpool by 3 points. Those were the days I had ST's for a few seasons, so priviledged to see Danny and the many other talented players we had then (Steve Williams in particular, what a player). If memory serves, Danny went to ManU a year before Giggs was coming through so didn't get much of chance there after that.

Steve Williams should have been an England regular..robbed of bright international career some would say playing for us around that time.

On 31/01/2022 at 20:05, kyle04 said:

Manchester City were always a yo-yo team (12 promotions & 11 relegations), and Coventry City always seemed to finish 4th from bottom or back in the day when only 2 were relegated, 3rd from bottom. They certainly hold the record for the number of finishes 1 place above the relegation zone.