Best Pre Match Pubs

Noodles34

So, sure this has been done before but things have move don post Covid.

Where's the best ones? Talking about in town really. 

I am usually in the Painted Wagon, which since JM took over an made it a Saints themed pub, has really developed well. Good interior, lots of memories of course, decent outside bit for cancer sticks, good crowd, no hassles really. 

Any others that match up to that place?  

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Gone downhill imo, we’ve moved to Cricketers or London Rd tavern instead. Used to love The Alex, real decent pint of Landlord. 

Done exactly the same, usually The Cricketers which is really good. Don't think The Alex has had real ale regularly since covid (I think it was declining just before then to be honest) although it looked as busy as it's been all season for the Man City game when I walked past. 

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Gone downhill imo, we’ve moved to Cricketers or London Rd tavern instead. Used to love The Alex, real decent pint of Landlord. 

That’s a shame….had some amazing Leo Sayers in there including from 8am (or whatever time it starred) when England won the RWC. Followed by pizzas in Chambers….back in the day.

Belgium Blues is ok - although slightly tainted by being the place I remember my interesting brother going to in the 80s…Goblets.

Barely go out before games now due to a lack of time but we normally go to Belgian & Blues if we do.

Sometimes we stop in Cricketers in Woolston before walking over the Itchen Bridge but it's a bit crap.

If you're coming from Bitterne way then Unity has some top beer and would be my choice.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Cat said:

Barely go out before games now due to a lack of time but we normally go to Belgian & Blues if we do.

Sometimes we stop in Cricketers in Woolston before walking over the Itchen Bridge but it's a bit crap.

If you're coming from Bitterne way then Unity has some top beer and would be my choice.

Haven't been there for ages but do like the Belgian and Blues, reminds me of a continental bar , still call it Goblets. 

Stopped in the Cricketers near Bedford place a couple of times, still a top pub in there hasn't really changed since the Dell days. 

Tried the new Painted Wagon after a game recently, was impressed felt like a proper football pub and the memorabilia was a nice touch. 

Not done it for a while but Bugle St not bad to do a pre match crawl Juniper Berry, Titanic, The Wellington (best one of the three) or start at the wool House dancing man and move up the street. 

2 minutes ago, JRM said:

Haven't been there for ages but do like the Belgian and Blues, reminds me of a continental bar , still call it Goblets. 

Stopped in the Cricketers near Bedford place a couple of times, still a top pub in there hasn't really changed since the Dell days. 

Tried the new Painted Wagon after a game recently, was impressed felt like a proper football pub and the memorabilia was a nice touch. 

Not done it for a while but Bugle St not bad to do a pre match crawl Juniper Berry, Titanic, The Wellington (best one of the three) or start at the wool House dancing man and move up the street. 

Agree with Wool House & Dancing Man, both excellent. Unfortunately I'm never in that part of town before a game.

No mentions for the Rockstone yet which shows how far that has fallen. It used to be our regular for a good few years.

For those people east of the Itchen Bridge there's also Olaf's Tun in Woolston which is top quality but only has room for about 10 people.

3 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Agree with Wool House & Dancing Man, both excellent. Unfortunately I'm never in that part of town before a game.

No mentions for the Rockstone yet which shows how far that has fallen. It used to be our regular for a good few years.

For those people east of the Itchen Bridge there's also Olaf's Tun in Woolston which is top quality but only has room for about 10 people.

I walked past the Rockstone before the Villa game and it looked quite busy but that was a Friday night, had been to the 5 rivers bar to meet someone - that place is really good if you want to watch sport and like a bit of Indian food was top notch. 

12 hours ago, The Cat said:

Did you go to the King Alfred when St Mary's first opened they had topless barmaids upstairs, those were the days 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LeBizzier69 said:

That’s a shame….had some amazing Leo Sayers in there including from 8am (or whatever time it starred) when England won the RWC. Followed by pizzas in Chambers….back in the day.

Belgium Blues is ok - although slightly tainted by being the place I remember my interesting brother going to in the 80s…Goblets.

Goblets! That takes me back a few years now! 

8 hours ago, The Cat said:

I semi recognised that name but couldn't place it. Quick google and saw it - The Bevois Castle as was. When did it change name ?

1 minute ago, Badger said:

I semi recognised that name but couldn't place it. Quick google and saw it - The Bevois Castle as was. When did it change name ?

10 years ago, maybe longer.

It was incredible for a few years. Amazing beer, ridiculous burgers and food. Great atmosphere. Legend has it Dani Osvaldo went in there one evening and bought everyone's drinks.

Went downhill after the owner Max and his wife split up, he then bought another place (what was Chambers) and the Rockstone seemed to lose its sparkle. That was around the time he started arguing with reviews on Trip Advisor. It's been through a couple of different owners since I believe.

Some old school names on here bringing back memories. We always used to drive down to Southampton on a Saturday morning from Nottingham and go to Goblets for a burger and pint before the match. Now we stay over on a Friday usually and used to go to the Rockstone for one of their delicious burgers. Shame its changed hands again. Went there before the Villa match and was nice enough but not as good as pre COVID times. Decent beer though. Used to love The Dungeon on a Saturday night. Really miss it. Now enjoy Black Phoenix when in Southampton more than anywhere else, too far for pre-match though.