What Is Happening To Our Country?

sadoldgit

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

The point people don't want to acknowledge the role luck plays.

Pretty sure it wasn't you that introduced the child trust fund legislation 20 odd years ago.

Lucky you, lucky her.

Get a grip!

The child trust fund contributed £500 to the total - but in reality that is probably negligible as the money (including the deposits made by me) were tied to the fund and could not be withdrawn whether it was performing or not.  No point moaning about it, just accept it.  Nothing 'lucky' there.

She chose to continue saving, when, in reality, she could have taken all the money and spunked it on useless junk.  Good decision that or is it just lucky? :mcinnes:

I agree, sometimes luck does play a part, you seem unwilling to accept that sometimes good decision create good 'luck'.

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

The point people don't want to acknowledge the role luck plays.

Pretty sure it wasn't you that introduced the child trust fund legislation 20 odd years ago.

Lucky you, lucky her.

You got 500 quid for that. not exactly a deposit. The choice would be adding to it for them.

One of my kids got it, other missed out. we made the choice to set up one for him.

I don't disagree that luck plays its part, but so does judgement.

Edited by Plastic

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Get a grip!

The child trust fund contributed £500 to the total - but in reality that is probably negligible as the money (including the deposits made by me) were tied to the fund and could not be withdrawn whether it was performing or not.  No point moaning about it, just accept it.  Nothing 'lucky' there.

She chose to continue saving, when, in reality, she could have taken all the money and spunked it on useless junk.  Good decision that or is it just lucky? :mcinnes:

I agree, sometimes luck does play a part, you seem unwilling to accept that sometimes good decision create good 'luck'.

Who's moaning? I am pleased your daughter is incredibly lucky by birth and circumstance.

Having £10k puts you in a different position to make "decisions" than not having £10k. Any 18 year old growing up in the current climate knows they probably can't just blow it all on useless junk. Unless they are a child of the landed gentry which clearly she isn't.

4 hours ago, The Left Back said:

You're laughing but actually I think you are right and it's actually a rational response to my challenge.  The good news is I think you can stop worrying about his mental health.  The bad news I think you might be one of the WUMs/Trolls he's referring to.

I'll stick my neck and guess you're one too.

Apology accepted. 

I actually like your answer; it makes sense.  I go back to my earlier feedback that I think you will be more effective if you focus more on specifics and avoid sweeping generalisations.  And also be more concise.  

Fair points but it isn’t easy operating on three posts a day. At least it gives Duckie some respite though 😉

• Like 1

On 09/11/2022 at 18:09, sadoldgit said:

Today the big talking point on LBC was the arrest of their reporter who, despite showing the police officers her press card, was arrested and detained for 7 hours for just doing her job and reporting on a climate change protest. A number of other journalists have previously been arrested under similar circumstances.

Despite promising to bring integrity back to government, our latest PM has given top jobs to someone who has only just lost her position for leaking official documents and another person who is a serial bully and has already been sacked from 2 cabinet jobs.

Gallons of sewage are being poured into our rivers and seas. Nurses have just voted to strike. Good luck if you want to get a doctors appointment quickly. Schools are reporting a dire shortage of teachers and teaching assistants. Waiting lists in the NHS are off the scale.

WTF is happening to this country? We have had a succession of PMs and cabinets who couldn’t run a piss up in a brewery. The Met, supposedly the flagship police force in the country, is an embarrassment and other forces seem to be following suit. We seem to be moving closer and closer to becoming a police state the more they become incompetent and ineffective. The current PM doesn’t give a shit about climate change and only pitched up in Egypt because he didn’t want to be upstaged by Boris Johnson.

The most depressing thing is that there seems to be absolutely no sign of things improving. If anything they look to be getting even worse.

Show some fucking bollocks you absolute melt 

29 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth.

many years ago I used to knock about with a bird who said that song reminded her of me because I was very proud of my working class roots. She was very posh and she couldn’t understand why I found it hard to believe she struggled to cope with the fact not all her friends had their own horse. She was a bit of a twat in hindsight 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

many years ago I used to knock about with a bird who said that song reminded her of me because I was very proud of my working class roots. She was very posh and she couldn’t understand why I found it hard to believe she struggled to cope with the fact not all her friends had their own horse. She was a bit of a twat in hindsight 

She must have liked a bit of rough.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

I’m just struggling to cope with all those negatives to work out who didn’t understand what about a horse 

• Haha 1

We all know that politicians go out of their way not to answer questions but it was interesting to hear Matt Hancock talk about the process last night. It even has a name, the “pivot.” Perhaps now he has let the cat out of the bag, perhaps politicians can be directly called out for “pivoting” and made to answer the question put to them, not the one they chose to answer. This isn’t a game. We deserve better from our public servants.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

We all know that politicians go out of their way not to answer questions but it was interesting to hear Matt Hancock talk about the process last night. It even has a name, the “pivot.” Perhaps now he has let the cat out of the bag, perhaps politicians can be directly called out for “pivoting” and made to answer the question put to them, not the one they chose to answer. This isn’t a game. We deserve better from our public servants.

As interesting as his openness was, politicians have always touched upon a question but said what they've wanted to say anyway. Knowing the name of the process doesn't add anything imo. What I was more interested in was the whiny weasel wanting/expecting forgiveness for his selfish double standards, and his obvious insincerity being spotlighted by Chris Moyles. He has done himself no favours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

As interesting as his openness was, politicians have always touched upon a question but said what they've wanted to say anyway. Knowing the name of the process doesn't add anything imo. What I was more interested in was the whiny weasel wanting/expecting forgiveness for his selfish double standards, and his obvious insincerity being spotlighted by Chris Moyles. He has done himself no favours. 

Yeah I agree. Found his woe is me I just want forgiveness attitude quite nauseating. He’s obviously gone in to try to show a human side but he’s in danger of coming out with a worse public view 

• Like 1

Why does anybody watch "I was famous for a while, but now my career is on the slide I am desperately attempting to raise my Social Media profile by living in a controlled environment, getting dirty and sweaty, and eating kangaroo testicles whilst 2 midget Geordie non-entities describe what the TV cameras are showing" ?

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yeah I agree. Found his woe is me I just want forgiveness attitude quite nauseating. He’s obviously gone in to try to show a human side but he’s in danger of coming out with a worse public view 

Yep, I sensed no sincerity whatsoever. The truth is that I'd forgotten the fella and what he did he is/was. All he's done for me is remind that he's an idiot.

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

Why does anybody watch "I was famous for a while, but now my career is on the slide I am desperately attempting to raise my Social Media profile by living in a controlled environment, getting dirty and sweaty, and eating kangaroo testicles whilst 2 midget Geordie non-entities describe what the TV cameras are showing" ?

Wives with no taste.

• Like 1

I did start watching the new Stephen Graham series on ITV Walk In, last night. Very good and based on a true story. Soggy would love it he’d be tutting with pious faux outrage every five seconds 

Edited by Turkish

3 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Riding boots, whips, and leather !

49 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I can confirm she certainly knew how to ride 

I amused some of the people at work when I told them that in our bedroom I had whips, leather boots, and riding hats - from when our daughter was in the Pony Club and I schooled show jumpers at a local riding school.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

I read a quote from a guy yesterday who said that he would rather pay £5.00 for a loaf of bread than rejoin the EU. Little wonder that we are where we are. The way things are going he might get his wish sooner than imagined.

Keep posting mate, dont let the obsessed drive you off the forum.

I fully agree with you, this country has gone to the dogs, the government are a utter embarrassing mess with no signs of it improving and brexit is an absolute failure, i would call it a joke but the fact that the a huge number of businesses are suffering because of it doesn't make it remotely funny.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

I read a quote from a guy yesterday who said that he would rather pay £5.00 for a loaf of bread than rejoin the EU. Little wonder that we are where we are. The way things are going he might get his wish sooner than imagined.

in Reeves in Romsey, they have loaves at £4.70 and £4.85. Crazy. 

I'll need someone to explain how that's Brexit related though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

An artisan bakery near us charges up to £6.50 a loaf for some of their sour dough and five seed loaf. It’s fabulous though and can’t be beaten with a thick layer of proper butter.

their sour dough club sandwich is one of the finest around a relative bargain at £5.50. I am not sure if they voted leave or remain though.

On 13/11/2022 at 16:34, egg said:

It is related because the guy was saying he would be happy to pay stupid money for a basic food item than rejoin the EU. I think the expression I am looking for is cutting off your nose to spite your face. I’m still waiting for someone to explain the everyday benefits of Brexit to me but I am sure an explosion in the cost of living isn’t one of them.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

It is related because the guy was saying he would be happy to pay stupid money for a basic food item than rejoin the EU. I think the expression I am looking for is cutting off your nose to spite your face. I’m still waiting for someone to explain the everyday benefits of Brexit to me but I am sure an explosion in the cost of living isn’t one of them.

im sure this discussion never happened but even if it did glad to see that you've let one wallies view on the value of bread or even covid get in the way of your crusade to get a few people you dont know on a football forum to vote labour at the next election. 

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

Understood. Brexit has been shit. Posh bread is too pricey. The two may be linked, but a discussion on here won't get you any solutions. 

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63873505

Ambulance staff across most of England and Wales will go on strike on 21 December in a dispute over pay.

The coordinated walkout by the three main ambulance unions - Unison, GMB and Unite - will affect non-life threatening calls only.

Obviously we will have the usual reaction of all strikes are bad / all strikes are amazing, but between the polarisations I think this may actually improve the ambulance service.  Life threatening calls will still be attended to, but non life threatening won't.  Should clear the back log of time wasters from the hospital corridors and allow the ambulance service to do its job (ironically).  For way too long ambulances have been used as a glorified taxi service for the lazy and stupid.

Maybe this should be rolled out as a trial to see if it makes things more productive?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Obviously we will have the usual reaction of all strikes are bad / all strikes are amazing, but between the polarisations I think this may actually improve the ambulance service.  Life threatening calls will still be attended to, but non life threatening won't.  Should clear the back log of time wasters from the hospital corridors and allow the ambulance service to do its job (ironically).  For way too long ambulances have been used as a glorified taxi service for the lazy and stupid.

Maybe this should be rolled out as a trial to see if it makes things more productive?

You’d be happy to wait it out then if you broke your leg playing football? They won’t turn up for such ‘time wasters’

Edited by whelk

Part of the problem might be that some men or women feel they have to announce they are men or women to the rest of the world before they are even asked what gender they are in case it offends a minuscule minority of people who would be upset if someone addressed them as male (for example) when they consider themselves to be female 

• Confused 1

On 06/12/2022 at 14:34, Weston Super Saint said:

Does the US healthcare system, which I understand is the only alternative to the NHS, leave old people with broken hips in their garden for 7 hours in sub-zero temperatures or is that something only our NHS can achieve thanks to the unique way in which it is funded?

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Does the US healthcare system, which I understand is the only alternative to the NHS, leave old people with broken hips in their garden for 7 hours in sub-zero temperatures or is that something only our NHS can achieve thanks to the unique way in which it is funded?

No idea, I don't live in the US.

Does the NHS leave ALL old people with broken hips in their gardens for 7 hours in sub-zero tempeatures due to the unique way it is funded?

• Like 1